2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It should include everyone who interviewed, didnt get rejected (there were some post II rejections), didnt match or matched somewhere else but ranked UTMB higher.

Anyone who has matched somewhere will disappear from this list around May 15th.

So pretty much everyone who ranked UTMB highly is on this list lol?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I assume so because the 230 seats encompass IS and OOS students.
In practice, OOS waitlist is completely dependent on whether some people give up their OOS seat unless UTMB didnt fill the OOS quota and using open waitlist to make offer to anyone.

So pretty much everyone who ranked UTMB highly is on this list lol?
UTMB interviews the most people among Texas schools (not sure if they did same this year). If we assume similar numbers this year (1000 in the past), 200 is nothing since it would mean 800 got in either at UTMB or elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB interviews the most people among Texas schools (not sure if they did same this year). If we assume similar numbers this year (1000 in the past), 200 is nothing since it would mean 800 got in either at UTMB or elsewhere.

I'm sorry, my brain is fried. Wdym?

I'm sorry, my brain is fried. Wdym?
sorry my logic is faulty when i thought through it.

only people who can be on waitlist are those who didnt match anywhere else or matched but ranked UTMB higher. If UTMB interviewed 1000 people and has only 200 on waitlist, most of their interviewees got into medical school? Only caveat is not sure what happened to those who were rejected post II and what is their count.

sorry my logic is faulty when i thought through it.

only people who can be on waitlist are those who didnt match anywhere else or matched but ranked UTMB higher. If UTMB interviewed 1000 people and has only 200 on waitlist, most of their interviewees got into medical school? Only caveat is not sure what happened to those who were rejected post II and what is their count.

I see, sorry it's been a depressing day and my head and eyes are so tired. So is it safe to say that you shouldn't get your hopes up high if you received an alt pool email? Because it fr seems like everyone got one.

I see, sorry it's been a depressing day and my head and eyes are so tired. So is it safe to say that you shouldn't get your hopes up high if you received an alt pool email? Because it fr seems like everyone got one.
Unranked waitlists pretty much work based on who they need to replace that dropped out - sex, race, ECs etc. Essentially - what are they losing vs what do they not have enough of.

This year the Alternate list (WL) email says that they are placing only 200 on the WL.
Curious if there are people out there who got a letter notifying them they wont be on waitlist. McGovern seems to have done that today.

Reactions: 1 users
Just checked the UTMB FAQs, looks like they only take about 10-15 people off of the waitlist. Looking unlikely here

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just checked the UTMB FAQs, looks like they only take about 10-15 people off of the waitlist. Looking unlikely here

If that’s the case, I better start prepping for reapp literally today

Dang!!! I thought those numbers off the WL were higher! There always seem to be such huge movement off the WLs on other school threads in previous years, but I didn’t really count

Dang!!! I thought those numbers off the WL were higher! There always seem to be such huge movement off the WLs on other school threads in previous years, but I didn’t really count

I also feel like it’s higher but who knows. I hope it is. Or UTMB should make a subsidiary school with all the alt pool spots :)

Last year the WL had 250 people on it though.

I also heard from a friend that fewer interviews were conducted this year (tracks since interviews stopped in December this year as opposed to Jan/Feb when the match was in March). So maybe the website FAQ that states 10-15 people off the WL isn’t updated to reflect this year’s interview numbers. Or maybe it’s all moot anyways…

Also, last year people also said at some town hall UTMB conducted, they said LOIs/updates don’t make much of a difference once in the alt pool.

Praying we get out of the alt pool bc I’m already drowning in it wish this day had panned out differently

And heads up, admissions decisions have changed within the UTMB AMP portal itself : (

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And also look, from the main “Republic” thread:
IMG_7391.jpg

Yes, please check your emails and come hang out with your fellow matches and current students on Facebook! Ask allll the questions, we're procrastinating studying for our PHD (patho/immuno/micro) and EER (endocrine/reprod) finals right now 🤣

• Love
Random question - I saw that UTMB's deadline for choosing a school is Apr 15. If we matched somewhere but ranked UTMB higher and are now in the alternate pool, does our alternate pool status expire on Apr 15? And would it remain for the people who haven't yet matched/got an offer?

Random question - I saw that UTMB's deadline for choosing a school is Apr 15. If we matched somewhere but ranked UTMB higher and are now in the alternate pool, does our alternate pool status expire on Apr 15? And would it remain for the people who haven't yet matched/got an offer?
Well, you can't choose a school that hasn't offered you a place yet... so this deadline won't be applicable to those who might get an offer to come in from the WL in May or June.

Well, you can't choose a school that hasn't offered you a place yet... so this deadline won't be applicable to those who might get an offer to come in from the WL in May or June.
I like that logic, makes sense

I actually have a question about that same thing, if we matched to UTMB but are on a waitlist for a school we ranked higher, I thought that school has until may 15th to offer us a spot. But the April 15th UTMB deadline to choose a school is a month earlier? I’m confused.

I actually have a question about that same thing, if we matched to UTMB but are on a waitlist for a school we ranked higher, I thought that school has until may 15th to offer us a spot. But the April 15th UTMB deadline to choose a school is a month earlier? I’m confused.
This actually does sound very confusing.

yeah I was confused about the April 15th as well. I think they meant to say that if we are accepted off the waitlist we have until April 30th to make a decision.

The April 15th is simply the day that students with multiple TMDSAS acceptances must decide on a certain school. So, for example, if you matched into another school, and received waitlist offers from at least one other school like UTMB (Or if you matched into UTMB but received an offer from a higher ranked school) you must proceed with only 1 school. This will allow for more applicants to be pulled from alternate pools in a timely manner if necessary.

It is possible that they meant April 30th though, as that is what the official TMDSAS timeline says, and they use the verbiage "Medical applicants with multiple offers must decide which program to attend and withdraw from other schools" which seems as if students who have already been accepted will also be withdrawn from waitlists... someone with more experience please correct me if I am incorrect

EDIT *TMDSAS timeline says May 15th is when schools can no longer offer students who have a seat at another school, So perhaps you can stay on waitlists after April 30th, but will just need to make a much quicker decision.*

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The April 15th is simply the day that students with multiple TMDSAS acceptances must decide on a certain school. So, for example, if you matched into another school, and received waitlist offers from at least one other school like UTMB (Or if you matched into UTMB but received an offer from a higher ranked school) you must proceed with only 1 school. This will allow for more applicants to be pulled from alternate pools in a timely manner if necessary.

It is possible that they meant April 30th though, as that is what the official TMDSAS timeline says, and they use the verbiage "Medical applicants with multiple offers must decide which program to attend and withdraw from other schools" which seems as if students who have already been accepted will also be withdrawn from waitlists... someone with more experience please correct me if I am incorrect

EDIT *TMDSAS timeline says May 15th is when schools can no longer offer students who have a seat at another school, So perhaps you can stay on waitlists after April 30th, but will just need to make a much quicker decision.*

I agree. I think UTMB has its own rules that allow for it to be done prior to the final 04/30 deadline, maybe so they can finalize stuff. Praying for waitlist movement soon though.
: ( Galveston has been one of my favorite places to be since moving to Houston in 2007

• Care
I agree. I think UTMB has its own rules that allow for it to be done prior to the final 04/30 deadline, maybe so they can finalize stuff. Praying for waitlist movement soon though.
: ( Galveston has been one of my favorite places to be since moving to Houston in 2007
Wishing y'all all the best! As a native Galvestonian, I can agree that Galveston is an amazing place (even though I won't be going to UTMB)!

Trying to make a "1 size fits all" statement about deadlines and decisions ends up with all the functionality of Frankenstein's monster!
240_F_303844423_tbPb9qsQFMIQodGAUokRQ9KaimRctxVc.jpg

Okay that is a darn cute Frankenstein Monster, but you get the point.

Texas residents applying via TMDSAS Match are a unique subset of applicants, because Match Day reduces ALL of you to either holding ONE school or NO schools.

Let's say you hold a Houston school right now and get an offer from your Dallas WL. You will only temporarily hold 2 schools because you need to choose between them promptly, and then you will be back to 1 school only.

An OOS applicant to Texas schools could hold more than 1 offer for a while because they don't work within our match system.

A Texan who also has OOS acceptances will end up with 1 TMDSAS school as of Match Day, but will have until April to decide about those OOS offers.

You all have to eventually choose your school. Read each school's rules carefully.

Class dismissed!

Hahaha UTMB just changed it in the offer letter. It says April 30th now

I believe April 30th is close to national deadline of May 1st where they are saying if you have acceptances outside of TMDSAS you must narrow down to 1.

They are misinterpreting traffic rules on waitlist both for amcas as well tmdsas. You do have until April 30th to decide whether you want to hold other seats but waitlists are a different issue and you have to question why UTMB is having a different standard even under TMDSAS.

Quick question, for those who accepted on MyStar when you go back to the login page does it show "No Application Data Found" and "No active application"?

Yes, my understanding is that we are currently in like purgatory phase where we are accepted but haven’t fully transitioned to see the full portal. Our student emails should be generated within 1-2 weeks.

Does anyone know where is a good place to live to attend UTMB?
I can sort of answer this question. I will try to be broad because 1. I don't want to accidentally dox myself and 2. I don't know the exact specifics and I am sure that current students such as @chicandtoughness can answer in more depth.

Anyway, the good news is there are plenty of options.

I would first start by saying that the furthest that I (in my opinion) would even consider living in is League City. League City is like your typical suburb (for example, the UTMB League City campus is located right next to Victory Lakes, basically a subdivision of a bunch of homes). There are nearby stores for everything you might need including Best Buy which is not on the island. However, I-45 sucks. They have been working on construction for like 10 years now and sometimes it can be annoying to drive to Galveston. It might take like 35-45 minutes to drive one way from League City to Galveston and vice versa. In my opinion, living that far out is not really worth it (especially for the pre-clinical years), but it is an option.

Then there are communities that are closer such as Dickinson, Texas City, Santa Fe, La Marque, Tiki Island, etc. Once again, most of these small cities have a lot of single-family homes.

Then you get to Galveston Island. On the island, there are many options. UTMB itself is located at the very eastern end of the island. There are several apartment complexes located near the campus. The grocery stores and other shops are kind of located near the center of the island, minus Arlan's (Kroger, Randalls, Target, and Walmart are located on or near 61st Street which is like 40 streets away from campus). Throughout the city, there are homes that the owners sometimes will rent out single rooms (or the house) to students, so that could be an option. As you go more westward (like past Moody Gardens), housing tends to increase in quality and increase in price. There are a lot of really big homes on the west side of the island and proper suburban-style homes (and apartments as well), but the downside is that it can take like 30-40 minutes by car to get to the east side.

As far as public transportation... Yeah, it's almost non-existent (at least from what I know). I would recommend getting a car if you plan to shop at Target, Walmart, Randalls, Kroger, etc, or do anything on the island farther away from campus (for example, the movie theater is on 89th street which is far). I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that UTMB has like shuttles between League City and Galveston campuses and between the west and east sides of Galveston.

Just learned that the movie theater (Galveston Primetime) finally got a bowling alley. Seems like a cool place.

But yeah. This is just a really broad overview based on my own experiences. I recommend all that read this to take it with a massive grain of salt and to do research about what might work best for you. I can say that Galveston is a really tight-knit community and is really caring of one another!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
(I live in League City if folks have questions about living off island! I know two people who commute from Houston and I would not wish that kind of hell on anyone.)

Which do you find more reasonably priced? Galveston island or league city? What is the commute time from League City?

Which do you find more reasonably priced? Galveston island or league city? What is the commute time from League City?
This is just my respective opinion, but I think League City is a little better priced for the quality. Galveston has a lot of luxury living spaces so rent can get quite crazy. As far as commuting goes, I have experienced this commute thousands of times over 10+ years, and on a good day it can be 35 minutes but with traffic (or the crazy construction) it can be as bad as 45-50 minutes. Just my experience/opinion though.

League City by far. I have 1000 sqft of space for $1500 (not including utilities and the like) which is pricey in total but is much larger, newer, and better amenities than Galveston. Unfortunately a lot of the complexes around campus KNOW they can price gauge students since there aren’t many options.

Commute is ~40 minutes door to door to allow time for parking (which is a massive headache). I live on the southmost border of League City, right on the line between it and Dickinson.

HOWEVER, most days I just take the bus that runs between UTMB’s League City campus and Galveston campus. Cost like $2 a ride and the park and ride is 5 mins from my apartment. I can study on the bus.

Last edited:
League City by far. I have 1000 sqft of space for $1600 which is pricey in total but is much larger, newer, and better amenities than Galveston. Unfortunately a lot of the complexes around campus KNOW they can price gauge students since there aren’t many options.

Commute is ~40 minutes door to door to allow time for parking (which is a massive headache). I live on the southmost border of League City, right on the line between it and Dickinson.

HOWEVER, most days I just take the bus that runs between UTMB’s League City campus and Galveston campus. Cost like $2 a ride and the park and ride is 5 mins from my apartment. I can study on the bus

What are the bus hours?

Hi everyone, if you accepted your offer of admission on MySTAR, what message did you get afterwards? I got a congratulations message, but when I went back to the admissions screen on the portal, I saw this message: Does anyone else see the same?
1708487128249.png

Hi everyone, if you accepted your offer of admission on MySTAR, what message did you get afterwards? I got a congratulations message, but when I went back to the admissions screen on the portal, I saw this message: Does anyone else see the same?
View attachment 382944

I got the same, also emailed and they said I accepted and it’s all good. Now we just wait for the next email

Would the class of 2028 want to create a groupme/discord?
I know there's a facebook but that's kind of a difficult place to casually interact. I am willing to create either. I just want to know if y'all would be interested.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Would the class of 2028 want to create a groupme/discord?
I know there's a facebook but that's kind of a difficult place to casually interact. I am willing to create either. I just want to know if y'all would be interested.
Interested! Either is fine for me! And thank you for offering!!