2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a current student at UTMB. It seems like this thread is very heavy on the pre-match business and scholarship postings. That's awesome for everyone who prematched, you have options and decisions to make!

For people who are worried about pre-matching (and take this with a grain of salt, since my application cycle was several years ago), know that I received 1 interview and did not pre-match. I opened TMDSAS at 8 am and found out I matched, and that was it. I am not the only one in my class who has had that experience. Don't freak out, not pre-matching isn't the end of the world, and you can still match into a great school when the day comes.
Thank you friend. I’m glad you chose the beach over the mountains ❤️

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone is deciding between UTMB and Long that has made a consensus on it, how did you go about it?

Your boi wondering which to go with. Not sure if I'm wrong about this but seems like Long won't require us to commute at all for clerkships?

I am a current student at UTMB. It seems like this thread is very heavy on the pre-match business and scholarship postings. That's awesome for everyone who prematched, you have options and decisions to make!

For people who are worried about pre-matching (and take this with a grain of salt, since my application cycle was several years ago), know that I received 1 interview and did not pre-match. I opened TMDSAS at 8 am and found out I matched, and that was it. I am not the only one in my class who has had that experience. Don't freak out, not pre-matching isn't the end of the world, and you can still match into a great school when the day comes.

Needed to hear that last part, thank you sm! Manifesting the same for myself 🤌

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is deciding between UTMB and Long that has made a consensus on it, how did you go about it?

Your boi wondering which to go with. Not sure if I'm wrong about this but seems like Long won't require us to commute at all for clerkships?
If it weren’t for my specific family situation, I would put UTMB >>> Long.

San Antonio is my least favorite city in the state. Surprisingly expensive housing relative to Houston and Dallas. Significantly less culture, cuisine, and things to do around town. Hands down the worst, most vile affluent population in the state. And excepting one or two locations (riverwalk, maybe out by the rim) the city is thoroughly ugly.

Long has a somewhat elevated academic reputation, though that doesn’t really translate into significant differences in residency matching.

UTMB has Greek life. A huge plus for some, inconsequential to others. JSSOM also has a huge nursing program, and the stories I’ve heard from family that went there make it sound like a very fun mixed student culture.

Minor differences in exam structures and curriculum. In-house vs NBME exams, true P/F vs H/HP/P/F, etc. I know I’m in the minority but I honestly don’t see how P/F is anything other than a joke. Even though I agree with the relatively low importance of performance in pre-clinical curriculum most residency programs have seem to adopted, I still bristle at the thought of not being able to be recognized for mastering the material vs just barely scraping by. I just don’t see how necessarily disincentivizing high performance in the first two years is wise.

Galveston itself is an interesting place. Stewart beach is eight blocks from UTMB, and the housing (rental houses) I’ve looked at around there are surprisingly affordable. I grew up going to Galveston with my family so I may be biased by good memories, but the island is fun. Good food, shopping, bars, etc.

If I were younger or single, UTMB would definitely win out over Long for me.

Reactions: 1 user
H/HP/P/F is clerkships only.

For pre-clinical you’re on a graded system (e.g. need to get 70% or higher in all course components). This may vary from course to course, and - to my understanding as it stands now - grades are not stored internally for AOA ranking. Your transcript will only show P/PC/F.

Clerkships- I’m not there yet so take with grain of salt. It is lottery system but you are able to submit preferences. I’m not sure if we’ll still have Tyler as an option by the time y'all get to clerkships since UT Tyler SOM will have their MS3 class active. Even if you’re “Galveston track” you may have rotations on the mainland (e.g. in League City). Expect to commute during MS3 for sure. I have friends who are rotating in Corpus Christi or Beaumont for some blocks.
When you say "need to get 70% or higher in all course components," does that mean one assessment lower than 70% in a whole block would result in a fail?

Accepted IS at 4:18 CST by email!! Turning down my spot and I hope one of yall gets it :) Sending amazing vibes to all of you still waiting.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
IS A!! 4:03pm. Interviewed late August

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted IS at 4:18 CST by email!! Turning down my spot and I hope one of yall gets it :) Sending amazing vibes to all of you still waiting.
Ooh forgot to say, I interviewed in November

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you say "need to get 70% or higher in all course components," does that mean one assessment lower than 70% in a whole block would result in a fail?
Sorry for all the Qs but also noticed you said grades aren't internally stored for AOA eligibility. Just to clarify, is it only pre-clerkship grades that aren't used for AOA?

Just outta curiosity, for those of y’all who have prematched here, what are your stats like? I wonder if prematches are reserved for people LM > 70.

Just outta curiosity, for those of y’all who have prematched here, what are your stats like? I wonder if prematches are reserved for people LM > 70.
LM 66
You really can't tell much from an applicant's GPA and MCAT though. Is it important to have good grades and a good MCAT score? Yes. But there are tons of people with 3.9X GPA's and 51X or 52X MCAT scores that get zero love from the admissions process.

I was LM 71, 1000+ hours clinical 250 clinical research

Prematched today! Interviewed 8/22

• Love

LM 74. But extremely strong ties to Galveston + Area around UTMB.

Just Prematched today around 4 pm, interviewed on December 13th

“Components” means quizzes vs. assignments vs. exam, etc. So for example… if you average 70%+ on your exams, you’re fine for that component, even if you got a 55% on the midterm and a 90% on the final (for a very rough example!!)

Sorry for all the Qs but also noticed you said grades aren't internally stored for AOA eligibility. Just to clarify, is it only pre-clerkship grades that aren't used for AOA?

That is correct. Though as I said before, there is a lot more than clerkship grades that go into AOA selection.

Congrats to all the new prematches!!

“Components” means quizzes vs. assignments vs. exam, etc. So for example… if you average 70%+ on your exams, you’re fine for that component, even if you got a 55% on the midterm and a 90% on the final (for a very rough example!!)

That is correct. Though as I said before, there is a lot more than clerkship grades that go into AOA selection.

Congrats to all the new prematches!!
Oh got it, so you'd have to get at least a 70% in each of those categories - quizzes, assignments, exams BUT if you get below a 70% in, let's say, quizzes - then it'd be a fail

Okay so wait, if we did pre-match, do we need to go ahead and accept in the application portal? Is that non-binding? I hadn't heard of myStar before this thread.

Okay so wait, if we did pre-match, do we need to go ahead and accept in the application portal? Is that non-binding? I hadn't heard of myStar before this thread.
Non-Binding

Non-binding but required.

I think it said we have two weeks to accept.

I have heard from people who were at today's campus preview that yesterday was indeed the last batch until match day.

Can someone message me whenever an accepted/matriculating students group chat is made? Much love muah muah kiss kiss

How did this year compare to the last few, in terms of how many people posted about them getting prematches?

How did this year compare to the last few, in terms of how many people posted about them getting prematches?
It's lower but I think that's because of a new gameplan by the school to wait until all interviews were over before offering prematches.
We'll see how they like the new approach!

SDN members, do you think it made it seem more fair?

It's lower but I think that's because of a new gameplan by the school to wait until all interviews were over before offering prematches.

I kind of wish every school would adopt UT Tyler’s system of having specific days for prematch release

I mean, sending fewer prematches does make the process more fair by allowing more students to be interviewed, but then again i dont wanna wait till feb 16 😖😖

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I accepted my prematch offer in the AMP portal but just received login information for the MyStar portal. This portal has another "accept admission offer" page, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to fill this out too, or if I wait until after match day.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I accepted my prematch offer in the AMP portal but just received login information for the MyStar portal. This portal has another "accept admission offer" page, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to fill this out too, or if I wait until after match day.
I did both just to be sure they are clear I have accepted their offer lol Ultimately, the Match algorithm dictates the final decision.

• Love
does anyone have an image or know where I could fine one that outlines the curriculum and pacing for UTMB's MD program?

does anyone have an image or know where I could fine one that outlines the curriculum and pacing for UTMB's MD program?

It’s on the website but makes you sign in when I use a link so I just screenshotted it instead here
IMG_5243.png

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Almost had a heart attack with the email that was just sent out. I thought it was going to be a prematch UGH

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users