2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my prematch this morning. Hopefully it can give a much-deserving SDNer some peace of mind

There will be some before match day. People who have multiple admissions will start saying no ahead of match day.
That was quick!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
That was quick!
I wanted to take the weekend to review my notes/talk to some students before I declined.
Plus I posted my match day ranking for the world to see last week where I didn't rank UTMB highly so my fellow applicants here had my number lol

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so what does it mean to withdraw a pre match. Like does that impact ur match day?
Well, it means you won't be matching at the school you withdrew from haha. You're essentially asking them to no longer keep you in consideration as you will not be attending.

Reactions: 1 user
CONGRATS to all the baby prematches! Cannot wait to see some of you on campus next year <3

No GroupMe yet but rest assured we will let you know.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Wait so what does it mean to withdraw a pre match. Like does that impact ur match day?
I think the only people who are thinking of withdrawing a prematch are people with MORE than one prematch offer.

You are not required to do so, though, and can let the Match algorithm do that for you by rating the school at the bottom of your list.

I think the only people who are thinking of withdrawing a prematch are people with MORE than one prematch offer.

You are not required to do so, though, and can let the Match algorithm do that for you by rating the school at the bottom of your list.
Well, it means you won't be matching at the school you withdrew from haha. You're essentially asking them to no longer keep you in consideration as you will not be attending.
ahhhhh ok makes sense, ty

Yep, the person who is declining had 5.

They are declining early so the school can try and offer a prematch to another person before match day.

I wanted to take the weekend to review my notes/talk to some students before I declined.
Plus I posted my match day ranking for the world to see last week where I didn't rank UTMB highly so my fellow applicants here had my number lol
Where did you post it? Also do yall know if UTMB sent any more prematches since last week?

Anyone who is OOS get an A yet ( interviewed 11/11, Preview Day 12/15)?

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB does issue some scholarships before match (at least they did last year). These are usually half or quarter tuition scholarships and some full tuition/greater than full.

This is done as recruitment scholarships so people rank them high during match.

What is % of prematch vs. match?
Pretty confident this statistic doesn't exist, same goes for the other tx school thread you posted to.

There is a table containing post-ii A data here from 2021 if you want some ideas on the # of A's per student slots, however.

The only thing we know for certain is that ~1/7th of the Texas applicant pool prematches.

Pretty confident this statistic doesn't exist, same goes for the other tx school thread you posted to.

There is a table containing post-ii A data here from 2021 if you want some ideas on the # of A's per student slots, however.

The only thing we know for certain is that ~1/7th of the Texas applicant pool prematches.

Paucity of information is the reason I am asking this question from people of this thread.

Paucity of information is the reason I am asking this question from people of this thread.
It is not something that is published by anyone or looked into either since only Texas schools have prematch to match concept.

UTMB did use to admit a lot of people in prematch when they were doing several rounds of prematches and lost a lot of them during the match so they admitted a lot more again.

All of that changed this year when they did a single prematch for the cycle thus far late in the season. So nothing that happened in the past holds true for this season since they changed their process and so it would make any difference for you to know the past.

Anyone have suggestions on apartment hunting for the incoming class? How late is too late? Should we have something secure by February?

Anyone have suggestions on apartment hunting for the incoming class? How late is too late? Should we have something secure by February?
2-3 months in advance of when you want to move in should be enough. That’s when landlords know who is going to vacate their apartments

the "We are pleased to inform you that......" gave me a heart attack but ".... we have a few dates available for our Campus Preview Day in January." :cryi: these emails are mean. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Received a link to the MyStar Portal. Is the "accept" button binding in the portal, and should we click it? I have been super confused by the accept page in the portal and just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Received a link to the MyStar Portal. Is the "accept" button binding in the portal, and should we click it? I have been super confused by the accept page in the portal and just wanted to see what everyone thought.
not binding, Match day will bind you to your match school

not binding, Match day will bind you to your match school
They sent a different portal link today to accept the offer again, so I have been a little confused.

Edit: Will email them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just got a personal phone call from a UTMB student ambassador reaching out to me to congratulate me on the pre-match and to answer any questions regarding UTMB before Match rankings are due. So nice of them to do this!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I accepted and now under application status it is saying no active application. Anyone else?

Me too. From the emails and the portal it seems like there is another link or something they will send.

Just got a personal phone call from a UTMB student ambassador reaching out to me to congratulate me on the pre-match and to answer any questions regarding UTMB before Match rankings are due. So nice of them to do this!

Got the cool too. Really cool of them. Thanks for asking about the myStar portal acceptance .

Does anyone know if UTMB (or other schools) only give out recruitment scholarships to people who interviewed at more than just one school, or that doesn't matter. I am debating going to an interview.

Does anyone know if UTMB (or other schools) only give out recruitment scholarships to people who interviewed at more than just one school, or that doesn't matter. I am debating going to an interview.
They will offer one if they want to, not due to you interviewing at other schools

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know from previous threads for UTMB how frequently they send out prematches?

Does anyone know from previous threads for UTMB how frequently they send out prematches?
This year has been so different that previous threads aren’t the best indicator :( I think Fridays were their go-to prematch days so maybe we’ll see some more. They sent out so many on the first day that I’m thinking the rest will be on match day tbh

This year has been so different that previous threads aren’t the best indicator :( I think Fridays were their go-to prematch days so maybe we’ll see some more. They sent out so many on the first day that I’m thinking the rest will be on match day tbh

Hmm you’re right. They said they’d be giving out 300 prematches but I don’t think all 300 have been given out yet so maybe we can expect at least 1 more round in Jan

Dr. Banks told us on preview day that UTMB will not be offering recruitment scholarships prior to Match this year

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm you’re right. They said they’d be giving out 300 prematches but I don’t think all 300 have been given out yet so maybe we can expect at least 1 more round in Jan
I think that 300 is a number from the past too, guys.
Let’s see what unfolds this year

I think that 300 is a number from the past too, guys.
Let’s see what unfolds this year

I guess we’ll have to wait and watch, but my orientation was in Aug and they said 300 at that point. Maybe it’s changed now though

There have been no interviews since prematches were issued unless they left out a few weeks of interviewees from the prematch (anyone know people who prematched from mid december interview dates?). If there were no prematches from December dates, they may get them in the next week or so.

I predict one more prematch before match but it will depend on how many turn down their current prematches ahead of match.

Expect it to be a week or so before match date unless a lot of them turn down right now.

Can anyone from UTMB chime in with more details about the scholarly concentration process and when/how you apply to them, how competitive aerospace and global health is, or what global health entails?

Can anyone from UTMB chime in with more details about the scholarly concentration process and when/how you apply to them, how competitive aerospace and global health is, or what global health entails?
Aerospace is really competitive and a small program. You apply to them in the summer you get in after orientation for the most part. The SCiTR application is due before you start orientation tho.

Varies by program, so I would look at each of the pages for more info. Some are small and competitive, some are literally "sign up anytime" and largely self directed. Different levels of workloads as well. You can check each of the concentration requirements here:
Global Health is a series of electives you need to take, in addition to a specific preceptorship you need to complete summer between MS1 and MS2.

does anyone know if getting a prematch is any predictor of if you might be more likely to get a merit scholarship down the road? does prematching = ranking high among interviewees? just wondering because if i have any shot of a scholarship, it could affect my tmdsas ranking

does anyone know if getting a prematch is any predictor of if you might be more likely to get a merit scholarship down the road? does prematching = ranking high among interviewees? just wondering because if i have any shot of a scholarship, it could affect my tmdsas ranking
See this earlier post: #797
I don't think there are a lot of big scholarships at this school.