2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! does ucla med look at the grades for part time semesters when calculating the GPA, or do they only include courses taken in a full time semester?
They take into consideration all classes you've taken -- regardless of parttime or fulltime status. If it's on the transcript, then it's counted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar question about stats! How are my chances looking with a 3.7 sGPA? I'm planning to take the MCAT in a month, predicted score is 516. I also have lots of meaningful community experiences (started a community health initiative that helped over 1600 people, alongside other more minor community experiences like volunteering at a mobile needle exchange), clinical experience (400+ hours as a frontline worker during the pandemic and more recently became a medical first responder (I'll have about 150 hours when I apply)), volunteering experience (2000+ hours at local rural LTC and a hospital, started various programs at both to help patients, including a walking program), leadership experiences (served on my student council for multiple years, elected to Senate for my current university where I get to work with the Deans and President of the uni, started a neuroscience club, on lots of committees for my uni, president of other student run clubs throughout uni, won the dean's award for excellence one year, chief of my uni's newsletter), and extensive research (publications as first author and otherwise, conference presentations, won an award, was a Harvard research trainee in a Neurosurgical lab for 2 years).

I'm confident I will have pretty good LORs too. I know my extra-curriculars are good, but I'm worried about my GPA and MCAT! I have one outlier poor grade but I repeated the course and did really well. I am also pursuing an online post-bacc certificate with UCLA extension currently to improve my GPA in case that ends up being a hurdle. What are my odds of an acceptance looking like? Any advice/input would be very helpful!!!
@med400 and @med818 Please place general questions about your application in this forum: What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you supposed to negotiate your PAL? Do you just email the financial aid office or is there a different way to go about it?

For those who were accepted, we don't need to submit a deposit to hold our position right? I didn't see any mention of it but I know most MD schools require one
i havent heard of that with them, but a lot of my schools ask for the payment to be made after you narrow down to one school on the CYMS tool anyways

new MSAR data is out. for those on the waitlist, it seems like your chance of getting off is pretty good.
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 1.21.55 PM.png

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know anything about when the merit scholarships are announced? Coming up on less than 2 weeks before the 4/15 deadline...

• Hmm
Wait this doesn’t make sense lol. The entire class size is 175 and they offer 150 additional acceptances on top of the non-WL people? That’s a big jump from 75 lol, I feel like this might be misreported data. Or am I missing something lol

Wait this doesn’t make sense lol. The entire class size is 175 and they offer 150 additional acceptances on top of the non-WL people? That’s a big jump from 75 lol, I feel like this might be misreported data. Or am I missing something lol
UCLA last year accepted 375 total including WL. This year, maybe they increased the spots for MD only students since Drew (~20) is gone now? So, if they accepted lower amount of people to be conservative and also has ~20 more seats available it makes sense? Or they misreported xD

Last edited:
A lot of people who get off the waitlist probably didn't accept the spot. I know several people who did this

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of people who get off the waitlist probably didn't accept the spot. I know several people who did this
^^ this. As much as DGSOM is a dream school for some folks, it isn't for others who don't call CA home, have better financial offers, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to rain on anyone’s parade but year by year yield changes. Could be this year no one gets off, only TOTW gets off, and possibly everyone gets off. I’d say our chances are 30%-60% though.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Not to rain on anyone’s parade but year by year yield changes. Could be this year no one gets off, only TOTW gets off, and possibly everyone gets off. I’d say our chances are 30%-60% though.

It seems that all the top of the waitlist get in based on previous threads. Also year by year it changes but trends are almost always the same, ie the same amount of people apply year to year and the same amount of people interview at these schools. The waitlist movement will be similar to years past.

Unbiased opinion I did not even apply here

It seems that all the top of the waitlist get in based on previous threads. Also year by year it changes but trends are almost always the same, ie the same amount of people apply year to year and the same amount of people interview at these schools. The waitlist movement will be similar to years past.

Unbiased opinion I did not even apply here
On the contrary, a majority of the WL I saw get in from last year’s thread didn’t have top of WL :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
There is a group me? Could you add me pls 😭
I'm so sorry but after all the group me invasions that have been happening I'm hesitant to share the link over the Internet lol. But this is an official group me, if you email the admissions office I'm sure they will be able to send you the link!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so sorry but after all the group me invasions that have been happening I'm hesitant to share the link over the Internet lol. But this is an official group me, if you email the admissions office I'm sure they will be able to send you the link!
Fair enough :) tyyyy

• Care
Does anyone know if a car is required for first year?
Not required. We have some first year clinical experiences where you might get assigned to some off campus sites. Some locations can be 1+ hour commute. If you had a car, it may be easier to get to these, but there are almost always carpools available with other folks.

Second year you will most definitely want a car. Unless you're willing to get to the hospital and leave the hospital when other folks do, you will want a car for the flexibility and ease of travel.

In the last happy hour, some WL students mentioned that they went ahead and had sent LOIs to DGSOM. I had read that DGSOM does not take these and it was my understanding that sending an LOI when a school expressed not wanting them would look pretty bad. Does anyone understand this differently than me? Thanks!

In the last happy hour, some WL students mentioned that they went ahead and had sent LOIs to DGSOM. I had read that DGSOM does not take these and it was my understanding that sending an LOI when a school expressed not wanting them would look pretty bad. Does anyone understand this differently than me? Thanks!
Maybe they meant a letter of interest? Sending a letter of intent to a school that doesn’t accept them isn’t recommendable

Maybe they meant a letter of interest? Sending a letter of intent to a school that doesn’t accept them isn’t recommendable
Thought our file was closed after interview and there was no point in a letter of interest.

Thought our file was closed after interview and there was no point in a letter of interest.
You’re probably right, the only other meaning I’ve heard of for an “LOI” was letter of interest but like you said, I doubt it’d carry any weight.

People last year said they sent in letters of interest and got off the WL, but most did not send anything. Idk

Last edited:
When Everyday Feels Like Groundhog Day...waiting to receive news of any need-based or merit aid info (or lack thereof). The 5 business days they promised for PALs has passed.

Reactions: 3 users
Bruh when are we gonna hear back abt merit scholarships? 4/15 is creeping up...

Reactions: 4 users
new MSAR data is out. for those on the waitlist, it seems like your chance of getting off is pretty good. View attachment 384875
Possibly a dumb question, but does this even apply to us if the date listed = 2025? Aren't these numbers most likely just goals for the next cycle? Or are these estimated numbers from this year?

Last edited:
Possibly a dumb question, but does this even apply to us if the date listed = 2025? Aren't these numbers most likely just goals for the next cycle? Or are these estimated numbers from this year?
these are the numbers from the previous cycle (2022-2023) and they're just data points to show us applicants how many students are interviewed, accepted, and waitlisted. I guess its just another way for AAMC to make money because you have to pay to see this data.

these are the numbers from the previous cycle (2022-2023) and they're just data points to show us applicants how many students are interviewed, accepted, and waitlisted. I guess its just another way for AAMC to make money because you have to pay to see this data.
Thanks!

Has anyone received their Fin Aid packages from UCLA yet? Not sure if I missed the email...

Has anyone received their Fin Aid packages from UCLA yet? Not sure if I missed the email...
Same question you have. My FAFSA was submitted 3/23 and I completed all the forms ASAP but I haven't heard anything.

if someone attends the financial aid/scholarship office hours today and finds out about merit scholarship timeline please update :)

Reactions: 4 users
If we are WL should we still complete the non-FAFSA forms? Unable to attend office hours :(

Yeah you don’t need it for school until second year but you can’t really do anything in LA without a car lol

I’ve been able to do all the things I want to do (attend EACE, go out on weekends, etc) without a car so it’s definitely about personal preference. So, you don’t need a car for the first year.

• Wow
Wow, is it just me, or does it seem like UCLA went from one of the most generous medical schools in terms of aid to offering next to nothing??? I'm so disappointed:(

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21 users
I’ve been able to do all the things I want to do (attend EACE, go out on weekends, etc) without a car so it’s definitely about personal preference. So, you don’t need a car for the first year.
Please share your ways. How were you able to do this?