2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m gonna call Monday and ask for clarification bc why not honestly

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the 200 number include only people that accept a waitlist position or everyone that’s offered a waitlist?

Were any of the decisions released today for PRIME or only general MD? I was waitlisted for PRIME last week and was wondering if they sent all the decisions on the same date? Also if anyone knows if there's any WL movement for PRIME pls share, I couldn't find anything on last year's thread 😟

All decisions for Prime go out the same day. A first, WL the next day and R the week after. I was waitlisted for Prime 2 years ago but didn’t get off WL. I heard very seldom people get off WL ☹️ Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Guess I'll be clownin with you all, praying for that A now until summer time. OOS reg WL, interviewed end of Oct

• Care
All decisions for Prime go out the same day. A first, WL the next day and R the week after. I was waitlisted for Prime 2 years ago but didn’t get off WL. I heard very seldom people get off WL ☹️ Good luck!
thank you for this! I had a feeling the chance was slim but wanted confirmation 😣

Thanks for this information! Do you know if sending a letter of intent will increase chances of getting off the waitlist?
Files are closed after interviews, but I honestly sit in the camp that I'm gonna do it so that I KNOW that I put in my maximum effort and whatever happens happens.

Edit: Yes, I sent in a letter of interest (not intent) after my waitlist.

I’ve seen you mention you got in off the WL. Were you designated “top of WL”?
Nope! I was normal waitlist. I did not hear back right away once we got into May, so maybe they went through those folks before getting to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Can regular WL people contact UCLA to inquire as to what their rank is (for planning purposes) or is this discouraged
Feel free to, but UCLA doesn't rank their waitlist since everyone offers something slightly different.

for those who got accepted, mind liking this post if you don't think you'll be committing to DGSOM? am getting excited about the WL but realize I might need to temper expectations

for those who got accepted, mind liking this post if you don't think you'll be committing to DGSOM? am getting excited about the WL but realize I might need to temper expectations
You are top of the WL you should be chilling according to previous year threads ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
In the Waitlist Email, are the two versions? One that indicates top of waitlist and the other just says alternate list? Was trying to confirm if there is somewhere else to look to see if it is top of WL or regular

In the Waitlist Email, are the two versions? One that indicates top of waitlist and the other just says alternate list? Was trying to confirm if there is somewhere else to look to see if it is top of WL or regular
They all say alternate list, we just translate that into WL lol. Someone posted the body text of the top of alternate email a few posts ago.

Anyone think there is any hope that merit aid decisions start Friday? In past years decisions started on the first or second Friday of March. The last fin aid email made it sound like their committee hasn't even met: "Rest assured, we will communicate with recipients as soon as the DGSOM Scholarship Committee convenes and makes its selections." Unclear if the worldwide FAFSA meltdown will have an effect; although the merit aid decisions should be able to proceed without FAFSA.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone think there is any hope that merit aid decisions start Friday? In past years decisions started on the first or second Friday of March. The last fin aid email made it sound like their committee hasn't even met: "Rest assured, we will communicate with recipients as soon as the DGSOM Scholarship Committee convenes and makes its selections." Unclear if the worldwide FAFSA meltdown will have an effect; although the merit aid decisions should be able to proceed without FAFSA.
Was anyone able to attend office hours today and ask?

They said they were behind on merit this year at the last office hours. I know that one merit aid scholarship for grad students has an app deadline of 4/8 but perhaps that’s diff… I would imagine it would come with the pals and pals require fafsas which they aren’t getting til next week rip

I am wondering for graduate apartments are you able to live with your significant other (i.e. spouse or domestic partner etc.)? If so, are you only able to in University Village or are Weyburn/ Boulevard options as well? Also, if anyone can provide insight on housing both UCLA apartments/ off campus I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

I am wondering for graduate apartments are you able to live with your significant other (i.e. spouse or domestic partner etc.)? If so, are you only able to in University Village or are Weyburn/ Boulevard options as well? Also, if anyone can provide insight on housing both UCLA apartments/ off campus I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
Yes, you are able to live with a significant other in UCLA housing. If you are in a marriage or domestic partnership (they will ask for proof), then you are eligible for University Village family housing.

If you do not have official documents, then you can live at Weyburn/Boulevard/Hilgard, but you would have to share a studio or 1 bedroom with your partner. You can list them as an additional tenant on your contract, and they will get their own set of housing keys BUT they will not be eligible for a parking spot.

Yes, you are able to live with a significant other in UCLA housing. If you are in a marriage or domestic partnership (they will ask for proof), then you are eligible for University Village family housing.

If you do not have official documents, then you can live at Weyburn/Boulevard/Hilgard, but you would have to share a studio or 1 bedroom with your partner. You can list them as an additional tenant on your contract, and they will get their own set of housing keys BUT they will not be eligible for a parking spot.
to follow up on that, are people in a marriage or domestic partnership also eligible for Weyburn/Boulevard/Hilgard or just University Village?

to follow up on that, are people in a marriage or domestic partnership also eligible for Weyburn/Boulevard/Hilgard or just University Village?
Not totally sure to be honest with you -- I would reach out to UCLA housing. If they tell you no for whatever reason and you really want to be in weyburn/boulevard/hilgard, then you can always get a studio/1 bedroom and live there together.

Who did you hear this from? Any other intel?
Is it even worth it to apply with a 503 MCAT with 120 CARS if I am in-state? Overall great application with a first and second author papers in a good journal, but I have a low MCAT. When I look on MSAR, it says their 10th percentile is a 503 and 25th percentile is 506 with a 10th percentile of 123.
Similar question about stats! How are my chances looking with a 3.7 sGPA? I'm planning to take the MCAT in a month, predicted score is 516. I also have lots of meaningful community experiences (started a community health initiative that helped over 1600 people, alongside other more minor community experiences like volunteering at a mobile needle exchange), clinical experience (400+ hours as a frontline worker during the pandemic and more recently became a medical first responder (I'll have about 150 hours when I apply)), volunteering experience (2000+ hours at local rural LTC and a hospital, started various programs at both to help patients, including a walking program), leadership experiences (served on my student council for multiple years, elected to Senate for my current university where I get to work with the Deans and President of the uni, started a neuroscience club, on lots of committees for my uni, president of other student run clubs throughout uni, won the dean's award for excellence one year, chief of my uni's newsletter), and extensive research (publications as first author and otherwise, conference presentations, won an award, was a Harvard research trainee in a Neurosurgical lab for 2 years).

I'm confident I will have pretty good LORs too. I know my extra-curriculars are good, but I'm worried about my GPA and MCAT! I have one outlier poor grade but I repeated the course and did really well. I am also pursuing an online post-bacc certificate with UCLA extension currently to improve my GPA in case that ends up being a hurdle. What are my odds of an acceptance looking like? Any advice/input would be very helpful!!!

Similar question about stats! How are my chances looking with a 3.7 sGPA? I'm planning to take the MCAT in a month, predicted score is 516. I also have lots of meaningful community experiences (started a community health initiative that helped over 1600 people, alongside other more minor community experiences like volunteering at a mobile needle exchange), clinical experience (400+ hours as a frontline worker during the pandemic and more recently became a medical first responder (I'll have about 150 hours when I apply)), volunteering experience (2000+ hours at local rural LTC and a hospital, started various programs at both to help patients, including a walking program), leadership experiences (served on my student council for multiple years, elected to Senate for my current university where I get to work with the Deans and President of the uni, started a neuroscience club, on lots of committees for my uni, president of other student run clubs throughout uni, won the dean's award for excellence one year, chief of my uni's newsletter), and extensive research (publications as first author and otherwise, conference presentations, won an award, was a Harvard research trainee in a Neurosurgical lab for 2 years).

I'm confident I will have pretty good LORs too. I know my extra-curriculars are good, but I'm worried about my GPA and MCAT! I have one outlier poor grade but I repeated the course and did really well. I am also pursuing an online post-bacc certificate with UCLA extension currently to improve my GPA in case that ends up being a hurdle. What are my odds of an acceptance looking like? Any advice/input would be very helpful!!!
No one knows what your chances are. People with a 4.0 and 528 might not even get an interview. And it’s not about listing your CV and having the most experiences, it’s how meaningful they are and how much you can actually reflect on them. If you can’t tie it all together it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: 10 users

I wouldn't ever have someone bank on ucla. There are 14000 applicants for 175 spots. It's a crap shot. Still try your best, it very well could happen, but don't obsess too much about getting into one specific school. It's a difficult but rewarding process. Kill that mcat and good luck!

Last edited:

I got an OOS interview with a 3.27 sGPA, 3.7 GPA, and 517 MCAT

I wouldn't ever have someone bank on ucla. There are 14000 applicants for 175 spots. It's a crap shot. Still try your best, it very well could happen, but don't obsess too much about getting into one specific school. It's a difficult but rewarding process. Kill that mcat and good luck!
I got an OOS interview with a 3.27 sGPA, 3.7 GPA, and 517 MCAT
Thank you for sharing that, that's super super motivating to hear!!! What do you think UCLA is looking for in a student? Any sort of advice about what I could do to improve my chances would be wonderful! Thank you again sm for your reply

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to UCLA in the upcoming cycle - does anybody have any advice on what ucla is looking for in students/what they value? I want to improve my application as much as possible before applying!

Applying to UCLA in the upcoming cycle - does anybody have any advice on what ucla is looking for in students/what they value? I want to improve my application as much as possible before applying!
People who have a niche, and are going to make a big impact on their community due to that niche and, of course, research. I think they like people who take initiative and start things

Is UCLA a research heavy or community service oriented school? I can't quite seem to figure out what they value the most! Thanks y'all

Is UCLA a research heavy or community service oriented school? I can't quite seem to figure out what they value the most! Thanks y'all
There is a resource that UCLA DGSOM offers called MED mentors. You can get answers to all your questions from current students in the school from that program. Definitely check it out.

If I recall correctly, they value skibidi toilet sigma males with ohio rizz.

• Love
  • Haha

Was accepted this cycle if you have any questions.

Might be until April we get our financial aid offers rip. Does anyone know how generous UCLA is in offering need based scholarships and aid?

Thank you for sharing that, that's super super motivating to hear!!! What do you think UCLA is looking for in a student? Any sort of advice about what I could do to improve my chances would be wonderful! Thank you again sm for your reply
I think the most important thing you can do is really know your story and be able to articulate with passion why medicine and how your experiences solidified that decision. The things you do do not have to be unique, but the impact they have on you will be different than everyone else's. UCLA gets so many applications that it is nearly impossible to stand out with what you have done, so do it with your story instead.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,
I was recently accepted from the east coast and am trying to find out if it is much harder to match into east coast residencies from UCLA. Does anybody have good information/stats about this besides just the match results (which look to be mostly CA bc of the high population of CA residents)??

Any info is appreciated!

Hi,
I was recently accepted from the east coast and am trying to find out if it is much harder to match into east coast residencies from UCLA. Does anybody have good information/stats about this besides just the match results (which look to be mostly CA bc of the high population of CA residents)??

Any info is appreciated!

I think the general consensus is that regional bias does exist. I don’t think there are stats floating around to answer your question though. Personal preferences when it comes to ranking the programs plays a huge role, like you said.

Hi,

Any info is appreciated!
Sadly the best information will be for from the Match in my opinion. I wouldn't say you would be at a disadvantage because you went to UCLA (UCLA is a highly prestigious school around the US), but I would definitely say you would have an advantage if you wanted to stay on the west coast for residency (i.e. Stanford, UCSF, etc)

Might be until April we get our financial aid offers rip. Does anyone know how generous UCLA is in offering need based scholarships and aid?
also wondering this! especially for international students if that information’s out there

imma be so for real yall i need to get off this thread esp after being REJECTED but I still keep checking because I'm in the habit since I've been doing it for over seven months FML

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I'm super curious to know, what made you guys decide ucla is the school you want to go to? for me, it's the way the curriculum is structured/the location!

For those who were accepted, we don't need to submit a deposit to hold our position right? I didn't see any mention of it but I know most MD schools require one

For those who were accepted, we don't need to submit a deposit to hold our position right? I didn't see any mention of it but I know most MD schools require one
I didn’t have to but I too am constantly anxious that I will **** something up and get my offer rescinded due to a technicality like that so I feel you 😭

• Care
any accepted students not planning on attending - care to like this message 👀🙃

this is the only school I have a shot at, and have been kind of panicking as it's WL!