2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any accepted students not planning on attending - care to like this message šŸ‘€šŸ™ƒ

this is the only school I have a shot at, and have been kind of panicking as it's WL!

Your fear is weakness. Tame it.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For LOR, do you guys know if it's okay that most of my references are from profs/doctors that I did research with, not necessarily clinical work? I have one reference that's from community work I did, but the rest are all profs/doctors I did research with

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know what the match rate is?
Not publicly announced, but match lists are public and you can find it on google. It's hard to find out match rate based on match lists however because you can decline to be on the public list.

I'm super curious to know, what made you guys decide ucla is the school you want to go to? for me, it's the way the curriculum is structured/the location!
Location and proximity to good support systems was #1 for me. Depending on what you like about the curriculum, make sure you ask current students what it's really like !! For example, there are definitely some differences with STEP exams compared to other schools and caveats to dual degrees during MS3 discovery year that you'll want to clarify.

Location and proximity to good support systems was #1 for me. Depending on what you like about the curriculum, make sure you ask current students what it's really like !! For example, there are definitely some differences with STEP exams compared to other schools and caveats to dual degrees during MS3 discovery year that you'll want to clarify.
When do yall take step 1 and 2? Is it both during the 6 week dedicated period?

Came across this for anyone accepted that likes vintage:

Last edited by a moderator:
When do yall take step 1 and 2? Is it both during the 6 week dedicated period?
It's really up to you. At the moment, people have taken step 1 during dedicated, and then taken the MS3 year to study for step 2 along with whatever ECs you're doing. Basically what people used to do pre-step 1 going P/F. We don't have 2 separate dedicated's to study for both tests like some other schools out there (ie CWRU).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else's interviewer call you and ask what could be done for you to commit to UCLA?

Youā€™ve been getting scholarships elsewhere, what did you tell them? Iā€™m sure a call caught you off guard
Noooo i havent šŸ˜­. I was pretty happy about it! Hopefully I can get some financial aid, its really important to my family.

Reactions: 1 users
It's really up to you. At the moment, people have taken step 1 during dedicated, and then taken the MS3 year to study for step 2 along with whatever ECs you're doing. Basically what people used to do pre-step 1 going P/F. We don't have 2 separate dedicated's to study for both tests like some other schools out there (ie CWRU).
Thanks again! Are the the core clerkships p/f but the 4th year ones are graded?

Did anyone else's interviewer call you and ask what could be done for you to commit to UCLA?
I received one but it was more of have you made up your mind, what is influencing your decision and can *the interviewer* help in any way?

I received one but it was more of have you made up your mind, what is influencing your decision and can *the interviewer* help in any way?

Do yā€™all think this is happening to top interviewees who they are sure have competitive offers elsewhere or those who have tentatively selected to plan to enroll elsewhere?

I also got an email from my interviewer, but even though she tailored it to my experiences and things we talked about in our interview, Iā€™m fairly certain she sent it to all the accepted students she interviewed!

Does anyone know what the average need based aid is for low income folk? šŸ˜­

Could I DM you too? Also a low-income student starting to get worried at what mine will look like šŸ˜­
A scholarship is much rarer in medical school than in college, and it is a boon because it does not need to be repaid. Most other financing for your COA will be in the form of loans.
If you havenā€™t submitted your FAFSA yet get it in so your school can work on financial aid. FAFSA processing delays this year are not any schoolā€™s fault, but the fault of a poorly managed rollout of the new form.

A scholarship is much rarer in medical school than in college, and it is a boon because it does not need to be repaid. Most other financing for your COA will be in the form of loans.
If you havenā€™t submitted your FAFSA yet get it in so your school can work on financial aid. FAFSA processing delays this year are not any schoolā€™s fault, but the fault of a poorly managed rollout of the new form.
I know scholarships are rare and the norm is to be on loans, I just find that terrifying as a low-income student lol

Reactions: 2 users
I know scholarships are rare and the norm is to be on loans, I just find that terrifying as a low-income student lol
It's the reality and something you need to know as you embark on 4 years of medical school.
Whether you come from a low income household or not, the loans are meant to give you enough to live on as well as to pay tuition.
I would recommend taking out the maximum offered the first year, then see how that goes. If you are a frugal person you may find that you didn't spend as much as they estimated on housing, food, etc. But what if your car breaks down & needs big $$ repairs? The loan amount is a cushion for this kind of stuff.
You have to submit a new FAFSA each year while med school, don't forget to do that. If you didn't need the whole loan amount first year, take out less the second year.
Learn about this now to increase knowledge and minimize the fear of the unknown. You will bring home a salary staring the first month of your residency and more when your residency is done; you will be able to pay off these loans.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
It's the reality and something you need to know as you embark on 4 years of medical school.
Whether you come from a low income household or not, the loans are meant to give you enough to live on as well as to pay tuition.
I would recommend taking out the maximum offered the first year, then see how that goes. If you are a frugal person you may find that you didn't spend as much as they estimated on housing, food, etc. But what if your car breaks down & needs big $$ repairs? The loan amount is a cushion for this kind of stuff.
You have to submit a new FAFSA each year while med school, don't forget to do that. If you didn't need the whole loan amount first year, take out less the second year.
Learn about this now to increase knowledge and minimize the fear of the unknown. You will bring home a salary staring the first month of your residency and more when your residency is done; you will be able to pay off these loans.
Thanks for the reminders, I'm a non-trad that's pretty financially literate. Good info for others though.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Hi guys, I just received my PAL. Need based scholarships do NOT need to be repaid right?

Got my PAL, did not recieve any need based scholarships with an SAI -1500 ā˜ ļø

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
so are they trickling out PAL's slowly? Has anyone else not received their PAL?

When do we think merit scholarships are going to go out
The second look weekend is in ~two weeks. I'd be shocked if they don't go out by the end of next week. Even then, they may lose some applicants who have already scheduled second look plans with schools that have provided timely merit aid notifications. Very odd that it is delayed, since their office says the scholarship committee is unrelated to fin aid office and FAFSA filing.

@Carti. My FAFSA was processed 3/23 and I haven't received a PAL yet. They said within 5 business days, which would be before next Wednesday.

Reactions: 3 users
What is pal? Should people on the waitlist fill anything out for ucla?

What is pal? Should people on the waitlist fill anything out for ucla?
Itā€™s the Provisional Aid Letter & as for those of us on the waitlist, I donā€™t think so because I didnā€™t get any instructions/info about financial aid via email

do you guys know if a thread for 2024-2025 ucla applications has been made yet? i canā€™t seem to find it if there is one!

do you guys know if a thread for 2024-2025 ucla applications has been made yet? i canā€™t seem to find it if there is one!
Secondaries wonā€™t even be released till July lol. Focus on the rest of your app/enjoying your free time before the hell storm of applying begins. And get comfortable with waiting for months :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! does ucla med look at the grades for part time semesters when calculating the GPA, or do they only include courses taken in a full time semester?

Hi guys! does ucla med look at the grades for part time semesters when calculating the GPA, or do they only include courses taken in a full time semester?
AMCAS requires you to submit grades from all schools.