2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed as well. This brochure (https://medschool.ucla.edu/sites/g/files/oketem456/files/media/documents/UCLA-DGSOM Admissions Brochure Optimized 8.12.21.pdf) from 2022-2023 says they offered 60+ very large scholarships, but it looks like this year is different :/
I asked about the Geffen Scholarships and they stopped offering them after 2022 due to funding :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Re: scholarships, they've replaced the Geffen scholarship with lots of other scholarships cause the Geffen fund ran out. According to admin, the total money they have now is more than it used to be but who knows :unsure:

Admin said that? When was that? someone in the group me said yesterday at the financial aid office hours they said that scholarship recipients have been awarded and the committee will reconvene if things change but only one person said they got it so far? So confused and scared 😭

Members don't see this ad :)
Nooooo this is so tragic, I really wanted y’all to get full rides. Crying for y’all right now 😭😭😭.

6FEF77B1-38C1-4A68-B648-88EC8E416144.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Admin said that? When was that? someone in the group me said yesterday at the financial aid office hours they said that scholarship recipients have been awarded and the committee will reconvene if things change but only one person said they got it so far? So confused and scared 😭
I dont see any report of someone getting a merit aid award, this is VERY concerning. I'm wondering how this will impact matriculation rates

Reactions: 6 users
I dont see any report of someone getting a merit aid award, this is VERY concerning. I'm wondering how this will impact matriculation rates
Even in the group me, there was a single guy who said he got one on 4/1 — tho it’s possible those who have them don’t want to say cos they feel awkward? Idk 😭

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like there was very little financial aid given to students this year. Might be withdrawing my acceptance in two weeks for people that are on the WL. My PAL only had loans and total cost was more than I was expecting (especially since they advertised that most students would get aid... a loan is not aid not sure if they included that in their statistics).

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Seems like there was very little financial aid given to students this year. Might be withdrawing my acceptance in two weeks for people that are on the WL. My PAL only had loans and total cost was more than I was expecting (especially since they advertised that most students would get aid... a loan is not aid not sure if they included that in their statistics).
yeppp same I can’t justify 400k of debt. If I get off the MSTP waitlist then ofc I’ll go, but otherwise I’m going to my state school where I got a full ride 💀🥲

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
yeppp same I can’t justify 400k of debt. If I get off the MSTP waitlist then ofc I’ll go, but otherwise I’m going to my state school where I got a full ride 💀🥲
Wishing you the best with that! think it is also sorta BS that you have to pay for your summer year too. I have never seen a school require students to pay for their summer. State school sounds like the best course of action aka the least amount of money to owe.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Are we cooked? Did UCLA rly only give out 1 scholarship this year?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we cooked? Did UCLA rly only give out 1 scholarship this year?
I looked back at last year and six students were posting about full tuition scholarships on March 10th, one student said fin aid had written them that all scholarships had been committed by March 17th, and one student wrote on May 2nd that their previously awarded full tuition was upgraded to a COA scholarship.

OR OR...hot take...maybe they have been intentionally not communicating effectively because on second look weekend they will say EVERYONE GETS A SCHOLARSHIP.

Reactions: 3 users
T
I looked back at last year and six students were posting about full tuition scholarships on March 10th, one student said fin aid had written them that all scholarships had been committed by March 17th, and one student wrote on May 2nd that their previously awarded full tuition was upgraded to a COA scholarship.

OR OR...hot take...maybe they have been intentionally not communicating effectively because on second look weekend they will say EVERYONE GETS A SCHOLARSHIP.
Oprah Winfrey ahh pal 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

probably not since someone said that they received a scholarship

Is not going to Accepted Students Week a bad thing? I have so many family problems going on right now that I don't know if I'll be able to make it. But just scared about missing important stuff. I'm from California and can go at any time to check out the campus.

Is not going to Accepted Students Week a bad thing? I have so many family problems going on right now that I don't know if I'll be able to make it. But just scared about missing important stuff. I'm from California and can go at any time to check out the campus.
Not missing anything. I would say Accepted Student events are more for people who are on the fence about attending a school -- you might get that little push from attending these events. Since you're from CA, reach out to admissions and they'll find a student who will happily take you on a tour and maybe even join in on some classes. Take care of your family first. School will be here waiting afterwards.

In the luckiest of chances that we do get off the waitlist, how long do we have to accept the offer and make a decision (ie, PTE or CTE?)
reach out to admissions and they'll find a student who will happily take you on a tour and maybe even join in on some classes.
And would it be appropriate to reach out to admissions for this^ if we are on the waitlist? Since WL folks are not invited to second look

Hey yall, so I was also waitlisted here and wanted to ask when is the last day to formally accept an acceptance on the AAMC portal? Like is it April 30th? Because I'm sure I won't get off the waitlist by then, so I'm not sure whether I have that time to wait or I have to make a choice by April 30? 😭

Hey yall, so I was also waitlisted here and wanted to ask when is the last day to formally accept an acceptance on the AAMC portal? Like is it April 30th? Because I'm sure I won't get off the waitlist by then, so I'm not sure whether I have that time to wait or I have to make a choice by April 30? 😭
Here are the AAMC acceptance protocols.

By April 15, you have to narrow your acceptances down to three (you can remain on as many WL as you want).

By April 30, you have to narrow down your acceptances to one school and “plan to enroll” there. You can still hold WL positions after April 30.

The “commit to enroll” (CTE) is more binding and removes you from any other waitlist, but this deadline is later and depends on schools, with most being in June.

If you have any other A’s, you have to “plan to enroll” at one of them by April 30 or else you risk it getting rescinded because after April 30 schools start to see more detailed information about who is holding multiple acceptances, who hasn’t selected their school, etc. If you get off the WL at another school after April 30, you have to notify your PTE school as soon as possible so they can pull from their WL as well.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

By April 15, you have to narrow your acceptances down to three (you can remain on as many WL as you want).

By April 30, you have to narrow down your acceptances to one school and “plan to enroll” there. You can still hold WL positions after April 30.

The “commit to enroll” (CTE) is more binding and removes you from any other waitlist, but this deadline is later and depends on schools, with most being in June.

If you have any other A’s, you have to “plan to enroll” at one of them by April 30 or else you risk it getting rescinded because after April 30 schools start to see more detailed information about who is holding multiple acceptances, who hasn’t selected their school, etc. If you get off the WL at another school after April 30, you have to notify your PTE school as soon as possible so they can pull from their WL as well.
If you’re accepted into less than 3 places, do you have to do anything?

Thank you so much for the clarification! I was internally freaking out lol 😭✨️

In the luckiest of chances that we do get off the waitlist, how long do we have to accept the offer and make a decision (ie, PTE or CTE?)
I'm blanking on the exact timeline, but it was something along the lines of 10 days to decide once you get an offer off waitlist. You can ask for a little more time by asking them directly.
And would it be appropriate to reach out to admissions for this^ if we are on the waitlist? Since WL folks are not invited to second look
Feel free to ask! I don't think it hurts, but understandably they may prioritize accepted folks first.

I got an email from AAMC mentioning that by April 30th:

"Selecting “Commit to Enroll” indicates that you have made a final selection and withdrawn all other applications, including alternate list offers. "

Does this mean that when April 30th arrives, if I want to still be on the waitlist, I should not choose the commit to enroll option? I though that there was a mandate to choose this option on April 30th? Thank you!

I got an email from AAMC mentioning that by April 30th:

"Selecting “Commit to Enroll” indicates that you have made a final selection and withdrawn all other applications, including alternate list offers. "

Does this mean that when April 30th arrives, if I want to still be on the waitlist, I should not choose the commit to enroll option? I though that there was a mandate to choose this option on April 30th? Thank you!
My understanding is to PTE by April 30th. PTE at one of your acceptances and may hold as many WL as you have.
Most school's CTE deadlines are in June/July.

Lowkey I feel like there is about to be mass waitlist movement for us WL homies who don't mind taking out more money to go to ucla lol

• Haha
Lowkey I feel like there is about to be mass waitlist movement for us WL homies who don't mind taking out more money to go to ucla lol
yup this is probably why there's 150 acceptances off the waitlist out of 250. Someone I know got off the waitlist at wake forest a few years ago and essentially they said all the scholarships were done

Yeah, this is what everyone during second look was discussing. LOTS of WL movement prob incoming

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
If yall don't mind sharing, what does tuition+coa look like for our cohort? I could only find 2023-2024 info online

If yall don't mind sharing, what does tuition+coa look like for our cohort? I could only find 2023-2024 info online
As an OOS student, my award letter showed that the total COA for M1 is $105,194.
  • Total Non-Resident Tuition and Fees: $63,105
    • Tuition and Fees (Resident with Student Health Insurance): $50,492
    • Non-Resident Tuition: $12,613
  • Living Expenses: $42,089
  • Total Estimated Cost of Attendance for 1st Year: $105,194
So, as an OOS student, I would have to take out ~$420,000 in loans. Will be withdrawing my A! Seems like a wonderful med school, but I am planning to follow scholarship money elsewhere <3

Edit: thanks @aceegreene for the update! Including three summer semesters ($17,500 x 3 summers), it would cost me $472,500 over four years LOL

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Did they share in second look the reason behind the lack of scholarships this year? are they done giving them out?

As an OOS student, my award letter showed that the total COA for M1 is $105,194.
So, as an OOS student, I would have to take out ~$420,000 in loans. Will be withdrawing my A! Seems like a wonderful med school, but I am planning to follow scholarship money elsewhere QUOTE]

Seriously thank you so much for this insight!

So, as an OOS student, I would have to take out ~$420,000 in loans. Will be withdrawing my A! Seems like a wonderful med school, but I am planning to follow scholarship money elsewhere <3
This excludes summer semester costs which are in addition to what @Opuntia reported. From 2024-2025 onwards there will be 3 summer semesters, each of which according to 2023-2024 estimates cost about 17.5k each.

• Wow
This excludes summer semester costs which are in addition to what @Opuntia reported. From 2024-2025 onwards there will be 3 summer semesters, each of which according to 2023-2024 estimates cost about 17.5k each.
I’m confused about this whole summer thing. Isn’t that normally included in tuition?

I’m confused about this whole summer thing. Isn’t that normally included in tuition?

So what Opuntia reported is cost of 1st year. 2nd year onward you have summers, which are additional cost. And yes you’re right most schools I’ve seen have it included within the academic year cost but it’s different at ucla.

So what Opuntia reported is cost of 1st year. 2nd year onward you have summers, which are additional cost. And yes you’re right most schools I’ve seen have it included within the academic year cost but it’s different at ucla.
I see. Thanks!

I also withdrew my acceptance, I loved UCLA and I hope that they can get the funds to give more scholarships out in the future! I was super excited about this one because I knew about the Geffen scholarship, but I withdrew after knowing that they had canceled it :(

• Care