2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that saw you've gotten the R pre-II, where did it show on your portal? I just want to make sure I'm not potentially missing it. I'm OOS and submitted my secondary 7/30, was marked complete on 9/6, but still haven't heard anything.
it was just there for me so idk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post interview hold earlier today, interviewed 12/8. Anybody know how often people get accepted off a hold before April 30th?

Post interview hold earlier today, interviewed 12/8. Anybody know how often people get accepted off a hold before April 30th?
after obsessively searching through past years threads it seems that it doesn't happen too often but there are lots of people who do just prior to April 30th.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an accepted students groupme?
I attended the on-campus day two weekends ago, and they told us current students would be creating a Discord for us. They said we will receive an email with more information and the Discord link within the next couple of months.

after obsessively searching through past years threads it seems that it doesn't happen too often but there are lots of people who do just prior to April 30th.
This is not correct. A majority of students are accepted off the hold list, with only a smaller percentage of every interview group receiving A's prior.

"An enormous number of people get accepted from the hold pool. At OHSU, the hold pool is a great place to be and should not be a cause of stress for anyone. The only bad news from OHSU at this stage is an R."

Reactions: 1 users
This is not correct. A majority of students are accepted off the hold list, with only a smaller percentage of every interview group receiving A's prior.

"An enormous number of people get accepted from the hold pool. At OHSU, the hold pool is a great place to be and should not be a cause of stress for anyone. The only bad news from OHSU at this stage is an R."
Based on how the original question was asked - I meant that most people on hold hear back closer to April 30th, I am not saying that that it is a bad place to be.

Last edited:
Based on how the original question was asked - I meant that most people on hold hear back closer to April 30th, I am not saying that that it is a bad place to be.
I see what you’re saying and how it could be read. I was just trying keep a heavy level of optimism alive. Cheers.

I’d love to hear what you thought of the campus visit!! I have mine coming up
I really enjoyed it! I already knew I was going to attend OHSU, so I was mostly wanting to get a sense of the vibes and connect with other people. The morning was presentations with information about different groups and departments at OHSU, followed by a lunch Q&A with current students, and ended with a campus tour led by current students that went until a little after 4:00. It was very laid back (most people were dressed casual or business casual), and everyone was super nice. Definitely dress for the weather. It was pouring rain the whole day, and there was a lot of time spent walking outdoors between buildings. A bunch of people met up for dinner + drinks at a nearby restaurant later in the evening, which was coordinated by current students. If they do something similar for your group, I'd recommend going if you can because it was a lot of fun getting to know everyone! Afterward, I felt even more excited to attend OHSU, and now it's reeeeeeally hard to wait until August. 😂

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I really enjoyed it! I already knew I was going to attend OHSU, so I was mostly wanting to get a sense of the vibes and connect with other people. The morning was presentations with information about different groups and departments at OHSU, followed by a lunch Q&A with current students, and ended with a campus tour led by current students that went until a little after 4:00. It was very laid back (most people were dressed casual or business casual), and everyone was super nice. Definitely dress for the weather. It was pouring rain the whole day, and there was a lot of time spent walking outdoors between buildings. A bunch of people met up for dinner + drinks at a nearby restaurant later in the evening, which was coordinated by current students. If they do something similar for your group, I'd recommend going if you can because it was a lot of fun getting to know everyone! Afterward, I felt even more excited to attend OHSU, and now it's reeeeeeally hard to wait until August. 😂
This sounds amazing, now I'm even more excited for my own upcoming visit!

Accepted just now! IS, interviewed 11/16. I’m in so much shock rn.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if OHSU is still interviewing? There’s been no updates to my portal since October

A earlier today!! Does anyone know when they send the enrollment forms after the initial email?

Have there been any IS pre II R’s? Just wanna see if I’m still being considered lol

Anyone know if OHSU is still interviewing? There’s been no updates to my portal since October
current student here, interviews will conclude at the end of February

People in the hold pool. Stay strong. Hang in there. It moves pretty fast historically come May or whatever the new deadline is. Sending good vibes…..

Reactions: 2 users
Is it good sign that I haven’t been rejected yet or am I just gonna get rejected at the end of the cycle

anyone else interviewed in late december/early janand still waiting?

Hi can someone please confirm that the certiphi email is legit post A and not a scam?

Hey, I know how hard it is to wait. I really do. But seriously, do not stress about not hearing back if you have already interviewed. ALL it means is that you haven't been presented at the committee meeting yet. The reasons for that are 99.9% to do with the interviewer's schedule and therefore have nothing to do with you.

Try not to read anything into it. The wait sucks, but it doesn't mean anything.

I just want my R already, atp. Submitted my secondary late July, marked complete 9/06, radio silence since then.

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students group?

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students group?
There is a discord channel and a Facebook group that were just created last week by current MS1s. If you were recently admitted I imagine you will get invites before too long.

still no interview here but no rejection what is going on? is this a silent r?

IS A!! Got the email yesterday morning. Beyond happy right now. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how did you all send back the offer letter? Did you print it, scan it, and email it back?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for letting me know! Do you happen to know when pre interview rejections for in state applicants will get sent out?
I do not have any specific info on that! I think if memory serves, a pretty sizable wave of rejections occurs after interviews conclude at the end of the month. I don't think there are different in state vs out of state timelines for that communication, and I'm not sure how many weeks it takes after the interviews end to send official notifications. Interviews conclude the week of Feb 26th.

IS A!! Got the email yesterday morning. Beyond happy right now. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how did you all send back the offer letter? Did you print it, scan it, and email it back?
Congrats! That's what I did with my offer letter. :)

I have a tablet with a stylus, so I just wrote on the PDF. They accepted it. :)

I checked my portal but nothing that says I’ve been rejected yet. I’m OOS and I think I fit in the mission based part of the review so I’m not sure if that’s still being reviewed.

Is this a good sign I haven’t been rejected yet?
+1

Hi! Curious if OHSU is receptive towards post interview letter of intent/if anyone has had experience with sending one?

I’ve always found this a desperate move. Why is this even a thing and who started it. Rhetorical.

Everyone here is eager to get into school, and looking for anything to set themselves apart. It's completely understandable. Some schools care about yield. It's also another contact point, another chance to give your elevator pitch.

This being said, OHSU strikes me as a school where this is less likely to have an effect. Their mission to educate Oregon physicians and the relatively small number of people they interview makes me think they are not as worried about yield. And to me it seemed to me they genuinely endeavor to make the process as equitable as possible, which means cutting out points of evaluation that are likely to favor certain groups over others.

Also they have no place for uploads in their portal, which to me says they don't want them.

From what I understand, it's completely a point-based system. Every part of your application and interview is given a score, and you end up with a final maximum score of up to 25 points, with most applicants scoring between 10-22 points (they said no one has ever scored a perfect 25). Once your application has been given a score after your two interviews, that's your final score and it won't change. They set a point threshold that gradually lowers as the cycle goes on. As the threshold number decreases, the applicants with scores above that threshold are accepted. They said they try really hard to make the application system as equitable and unbiased as possible, so I highly doubt a LOI would change anything.

Side note: if you're curious and want more insight into their admissions process, the All Access podcast did a really great interview with Dr. Cloutier (the assistant dean of admissions), and he talks about their admissions process in depth.

I’ve always found this a desperate move. Why is this even a thing and who started it. Rhetorical.
It certainly wouldn't help at OHSU. No one would even see it after your interview.

BUT when you get to applying to residency, please understand that letters of intent are the norm in some (definitely not all) specialties. So don't write them off completely!