2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a GroupMe for accepted students?
There's a Discord. You should get an email with an invite to join soon. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-interview hold, OOS, interviewed week of 12/11. Anybody know what the acceptance rate looks like from hold? Or is this a soft R?

Post-interview hold, OOS, interviewed week of 12/11. Anybody know what the acceptance rate looks like from hold? Or is this a soft R?
It is NOT a soft R.

A huge proportion of people will be accepted directly off hold and then more of the hold pool will go on the waitlist. You're in the game. Hold is a GREAT place to be.

Just settle in and plan to hear something at the end of April.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/14, still no update on the portal or via email! Anyone in a similar situation still? I saw some post from interviewees from 11/16, so maybe I'm still not alone lol

Last year, I was part of the second batch of interviewees so really early. Like Aug/Sept. placed on hold after Thanksgiving. Didn’t hear til first week of May. Brutal waiting but Peteyfish is right.

Has anyone heard about any scholarships from them? (unrealistically) hoping for one and wanted to see if theyve sent any out yet
I can confirm that invites for at least one merit based scholarship have been sent out. Sorry, I don't know anything about any other scholarships. Although, I'm assuming it'll be awhile on anything need based, given the FAFSA shenanigans this year.

I can confirm that invites for at least one merit based scholarship have been sent out. Sorry, I don't know anything about any other scholarships. Although, I'm assuming it'll be awhile on anything need based, given the FAFSA shenanigans this year.
Nothing set in stone but they said at the campus visit this past week that it is very much possible that financial aid packages won't even be out before 4/30... the FAFSA changes are really causing some major problems

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing set in stone but they said at the campus visit this past week that it is very much possible that financial aid packages won't even be out before 4/30... the FAFSA changes are really causing some major problems
This is so insane bc most of us are gonna base our decision off of what school will be the cheapest.. so it would suck to release an acceptance without knowing how much you could’ve gotten :(.

Reactions: 1 users
This is so insane bc most of us are gonna base our decision off of what school will be the cheapest.. so it would suck to release an acceptance without knowing how much you could’ve gotten :(.
That's exactly what I'm terrified of... they said that all schools will likely be in the same boat, so possibly some changes will be made to the process to accommodate these issues but I'm pretty pessimistic. I can't honestly see the AAMC making changes to the plan-to-enroll dates or anything.

Last edited:
Interviewed 11/14, still no update on the portal or via email! Anyone in a similar situation still? I saw some post from interviewees from 11/16, so maybe I'm still not alone lol
I interviewed on the same date! Still nothing and i think it’s because they just haven’t begun discussion for us yet because our interviewers haven’t evaluated us. Very tough waiting I also thought I was alone as I didn’t see anyone who interviewed as early as I did! We got this tho!!

Do you know how long it takes for them to send the email invite? I received my A 3 weeks ago...
There is a student admissions liaison who takes care of this, and they usually batch these invites. I'm sure they'll reach out soon. :)

Is Oregon done interviewing? I have not gotten an R or an II or a hold yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the same date! Still nothing and i think it’s because they just haven’t begun discussion for us yet because our interviewers haven’t evaluated us. Very tough waiting I also thought I was alone as I didn’t see anyone who interviewed as early as I did! We got this tho!!
Glad to hear I'm not alone, but so sad we are still suffering! So bizarre that we've been waiting so long!!! Good luck to the both of us. :cool:

150 (I think this includes MD/MPH and MD PhD's; 33ish considered OOS last year if I remember correctly)
Thanks for the quick reply! I was also wondering - does OHSU send out more than 150 offers to fill 150 seats in their class? Or does this mean that since there have been 119 offers so far there will only be 31 more offers? Sorry, I am new to this process.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was also wondering - does OHSU send out more than 150 offers to fill 150 seats in their class? Or does this mean that since there have been 119 offers so far there will only be 31 more offers? Sorry, I am new to this process.
Oh yeah, way more offers than 150 will go out. It's definitely not just 31 remaining.

As I have said before, a large proportion of the class will be accepted from the hold pool in the final days of April.

150 (I think this includes MD/MPH and MD PhD's; 33ish considered OOS last year if I remember correctly)
Oh yeah, way more offers than 150 will go out. It's definitely not just 31 remaining.

As I have said before, a large proportion of the class will be accepted from the hold pool in the final days of April.
Thank you so much for your replies!

for those of you (like me) who are 13+ weeks out from your interview date, has anyone contacted the admissions office? I'm def freaking out a little

for those of you (like me) who are 13+ weeks out from your interview date, has anyone contacted the admissions office? I'm def freaking out a little
I did not ask them why I haven’t because I’m too nervous to, instead I gave them an update letter (which I hear does not impact your file but it was mainly to be like a reminder that I’m an applicant hoping that they see it and give me some updates). However it did not work as I am now 14+ weeks out still hahaha

I think I noticed this week they did not send out As but it’s the last week of interviews apparently. Maybe next week we will hear back? Hopefully!!

I did not ask them why I haven’t because I’m too nervous to, instead I gave them an update letter (which I hear does not impact your file but it was mainly to be like a reminder that I’m an applicant hoping that they see it and give me some updates). However it did not work as I am now 14+ weeks out still hahaha

I think I noticed this week they did not send out As but it’s the last week of interviews apparently. Maybe next week we will hear back? Hopefully!!
i’m also too scared lmao

Yes I did, they said they wouldn't accept any updates and that I should be hearing back from them soon (that was 2ish weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet).

• Wow
Accepted! OOS Interviewed 2/26. So excited!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Rejected, in-state, high stat, great extra-curriculares. Honestly not sure what happened.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
OOS Post-II R, I thought my interview went really well :( said interviewed 12/25

• Sad
  • Care
OHSU most likely has a checklist of the types of students they want to accept. X number of white traditional, x number of Latinos, x number of blacks, x number of another exotic race, x number of older, x number of military... It's not about the stats, extracurr or how your interview goes, it's about checking their checklist. They probably made a decision before your interview. I say that because there are people with way poorer stats than me but similar background that made it. Probably because they applied a bit earlier or got their app reviewed earlier or whatever. But since there might be like 2 spots available for someone like me and they were taken, then I won't matter. You can look at MSAR and see how their demographic stats are pretty similar from year to year.

OHSU most likely has a checklist of the types of students they want to accept. X number of white traditional, x number of Latinos, x number of blacks, x number of another exotic race, x number of older, x number of military... It's not about the stats, extracurr or how your interview goes, it's about checking their checklist. They probably made a decision before your interview. I say that because there are people with way poorer stats than me but similar background that made it. Probably because they applied a bit earlier or got their app reviewed earlier or whatever. But since there might be like 2 spots available for someone like me and they were taken, then I won't matter. You can look at MSAR and see how their demographic stats are pretty similar from year to year.
Basically, you are not interviewing from 100+ spots. You are interviewing for the number of spots they have available based on who you are! It might be 1, 2 or 30.

That is absolutely not the case (and actually for much of what you said, would be illegal).

For some schools, it's about the stats. OHSU very famously is not interested in stats and, as anyone who has been interviewed by OHSU knows, your stats are blinded to your interviewer and the admissions committee.

What you wrote probably makes you feel better, but it is wholly untrue and frankly pretty naive.

For those who didn't get in and feel they should have, I recommend looking at your activities and what they say about you. Look at whether you come across as someone who cares about others and would make a good doctor. Ask yourself if you have enough experience in medicine to know what a career as a physician really means. Ask yourself if you have constructed a cohesive story about yourself. And then ask yourself if that came across in your interview.

OHSU means it when they say they employ holistic admissions. That means that high stats aren't going to get you anywhere if your activities aren't compelling, and none of that will get you anywhere if your interview raises concerns about your maturity, ability to get along with others, or rationale for wanting to become a doctor.

Your frustration is apparent from your post, and I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Assuming that you were an applicant and got rejected, I'd recommend taking some time to reflect a bit before constructing your next application.

Reactions: 13 users
It's blinded because at that point your stats don't matter, what matters is getting the profile they are looking for in their checklist.

Nothing illegal about this. I'm simply looking at their stats and making an observation based on experience. (I got accepted elsewhere so this doesn't change my life).

You can also see how they have been accepting way more women than men at a very similar rate in the last few years. Coincidence? No, that's what they are aiming for, there is a pattern.

If what you are saying was true, then there would not be any students dropping out, remediating/failing nor becoming bad doctors because the admission committee does such a great job at filtering that out.

It's blinded because at that point your stats don't matter, what matters is getting the profile they are looking for in their checklist.

Nothing illegal about this. I'm simply looking at their stats and making an observation based on experience. (I got accepted elsewhere so this doesn't change my life).

You can also see how they have been accepting way more women than men at a very similar rate in the last few years. Coincidence? No, that's what they are aiming for, there is a pattern.

If what you are saying was true, then there would not be any students dropping out, remediating/failing nor becoming bad doctors because the admission committee does such a great job at filtering that out.
Oh, friend. Your rationale is simply not there.

If you look back at my posting history, you're going to see that I am a current OHSU student. That I spend a lot of time on here helping OHSU applicants navigate this particular system. That, though not an adcom, I know something about the admissions process.

I'm so glad that you have an A elsewhere. I have an inkling about why you might not have been successful at OHSU, which is fine. This school spends a lot of time trying to figure out who will fit here, and it's not a good fit for everyone!

Very best of luck to you, but kindly stop poisoning the well here. Your arguments are quite far outside of reality and it's honestly not going to be productive or useful to those on this forum who still have their sights on this particular school.

Reactions: 16 users
Was wondering if anybody has insight into the MD/PhD admissions process at OHSU post-interview? I know the incoming class is 8-9, but how much waitlist movement can we expect to see/how many people ultimately get accepted to fill the cohort? Thanks!

To those who have multiple admissions, sit in lectures for 5 min or longer with first years in every school you’re visiting. Then, you’ll have tiny bit sense instead of wondering….

Has anyone who interviewed first week of December heard anything yet? Still no decision after 13 weeks and I'm sooo nervous haha

Hang in there…. It’s really a long wait I know…

133 offers sent. Long wait…

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 105