2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In past threads, it's seemed like people who are put in the hold pool right before April 30th (eg. on April 28th) tend to be rejected on April 30th. I interviewed a few months ago and haven't heard anything yet (I'm not even in the hold pool yet) and am feeling soooo stressed! I wish they would give us an update.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In past threads, it's seemed like people who are put in the hold pool right before April 30th (eg. on April 28th) tend to be rejected on April 30th. I interviewed a few months ago and haven't heard anything yet (I'm not even in the hold pool yet) and am feeling soooo stressed! I wish they would give us an update.
I'm in the same boat! Interviewed beginning of December and haven't even heard hold pool or not. Definitely so so stressful I feel you. You're not alone! Hang in there :)

Reactions: 1 users
139 offers made as of today.

Patience is not my strongest suit I get it but hang in there because it is still a long waiting game.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is all scholarship and loan info sent at the same time? Do you know if they are planning to/think they will be able to release financial packages prior to April 15?

Is all scholarship and loan info sent at the same time? Do you know if they are planning to/think they will be able to release financial packages prior to April 15?
At my visit day at the end of February, the financial aid rep seemed really unsure about when things will come out and said it likely won't be by April 15th because of the fafsa delays. He couldn't give us an actual estimate, although he also predicted FAFSA would delay again (which I'm pretty sure they actually did not).

It seems like some people have heard regarding scholarships already?

At my visit day at the end of February, the financial aid rep seemed really unsure about when things will come out and said it likely won't be by April 15th because of the fafsa delays. He couldn't give us an actual estimate, although he also predicted FAFSA would delay again (which I'm pretty sure they actually did not).

It seems like some people have heard regarding scholarships already?
Thank you! I wonder if there will be any adjustments to the traffic rules given the delays ... I really can't imagine narrowing down without having all financial information.

Edit: just saw your note about scholarships already being awarded -- do you know if those were given at time of acceptance? thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you! I wonder if there will be any adjustments to the traffic rules given the delays ... I really can't imagine narrowing down without having all financial information.

Edit: just saw your note about scholarships already being awarded -- do you know if those were given at time of acceptance? thanks!
Unfortunately the timing of scholarship offers vary greatly based on the scholarship being awarded. Some may come at time of acceptance, others not until much later. I know this sadly isn't helpful when comparing aid packages between schools :/

Unfortunately the timing of scholarship offers vary greatly based on the scholarship being awarded. Some may come at time of acceptance, others not until much later. I know this sadly isn't helpful when comparing aid packages between schools :/
Yeah, really tough sitch :(. Thanks so much for your reply!

Got the acceptance on 03/28 (IS applicant) and I am beyond excited! I know there is a discord page for accepted students but I was wondering when the invites get sent out? Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS acceptance on 4/5/24!!! Interviewed on 2/15/24. I can’t believe my life!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
OOS placed on hold! interviewed first week of January. SO glad i haven’t been rejected yet!

Do they always wait until the end of April to start informing people in the hold pool of their decision?

Do they always wait until the end of April to start informing people in the hold pool of their decision?
Most people in the hold pool hear at the end of April, but they do start pulling people as the cycle goes on.

Best thing is for those in the hold pool to assume they'll hear in the final days of April and to be pleasantly surprised if they get pulled earlier.

Have any MD/MPH peeps heard anything either way?

Anyone interviewed and hasn’t received an update yet (reviewed, hold, R)?

Me! I interviewed in early Sept and haven't heard anything yet.
It's been long enough for you that you might want to email OHSU and just make sure that something hasn't been missed.

It's been long enough for you that you might want to email OHSU and just make sure that something hasn't been missed.
I already did. They said everything was on track, and I would hear in a bit (that was in February haha)

I already did. They said everything was on track, and I would hear in a bit (that was in February haha)
OK, that's good. I'm not totally sure why you haven't heard anything but you definitely will pretty soon here.

Should everyone that has interviewed hear back by the end of this month?

Should everyone that has interviewed hear back by the end of this month?
Yes, definitely. Everyone who has interviewed will know if it's accept, reject, or waitlist by the end of the month. If you go on the waitlist, you'll also know exactly where you are on the waitlist.

Does anyone know if OHSU has been receptive to scholarship negotiations in the past? Received a full tuition scholarship from another school but ohsu is my #1

Does anyone know if OHSU has been receptive to scholarship negotiations in the past? Received a full tuition scholarship from another school but ohsu is my #1
I don’t think there is any harm in asking. I emailed the admissions office the other day in a similar situation and the worst thing they say is no. Congrats and hope it goes well!

Did they respond to you? Congrats to you too!
Not yet but hopefully soon! I previously emailed Sam Jo Peterson, she runs the UME Student Affairs and Scholarships, and it took her maybe a week to get back to me. She told me that most of the scholarships had already been allocated but [email protected] is responsible for redispersing funding from students that don't ultimately accept so I think reach out to them and explain your circumstances and I am sure they will take it into consideration when thinking about reallocating funding :)

I was never placed in the hold pool, my status wasn’t updated until just today. I was accepted (IS) 4/18/24, interviewed on 2/15/24!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
It’s crazy it’s not out yet. It has to be by the 30th right??
During my campus visit they said they were going to do their best but that they couldn't guarantee anything by then... I was just curious if anyone else had received anything because they got my FAFSA nearly a month ago.

Others who hadn’t heard a peep- I finally emailed an inquiry today and got my acceptance email like an hour later. Interviewed the week of 12/4 - accepted MD, on hold for MPH.
Edited to add: OS

Others who hadn’t heard a peep- I finally emailed an inquiry today and got my acceptance email like an hour later. Interviewed the week of 12/4 - accepted MD, on hold for MPH.
Edited to add: OS
Congratulations! Lucky timing!

I would not recommend that others do that this week, though. They'll have decisions out early next week, but for now, if you haven't heard, there's likely no decision.

has there been any movement from the hold pool?
The answer is yes, slow movement from the hold pool all cycle.

But what will happen sometime next week is that a very large number of people from the hold pool will be accepted all at once. Some will be rejected. Everyone else will go on the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
The answer is yes, slow movement from the hold pool all cycle.

But what will happen sometime next week is that a very large number of people from the hold pool will be accepted all at once. Some will be rejected. Everyone else will go on the waitlist.
Thanks for the info! Will they not give us a few days before April 30 to make a decision?

Thanks for the info! Will they not give us a few days before April 30 to make a decision?
It's usually something like the 29th or 30th, from my experience as a current student. I know that financial aid is messed up this year and that will have an impact, but if you are sitting on multiple acceptances, I'd recommend taking the time this week to figure out where OHSU would sit on your list, so you're ready to go when you get an answer.

OOS Hold (Interviewed 1/24) Did not receive an email, CHECK YOUR PORTALS!!!

OOS Hold (Interviewed 1/24) Did not receive an email, CHECK YOUR PORTALS!!!
What does the hold pool message look like? I have become a portal-checking fiend since I interviewed in February and haven't heard anything so I want to make sure I haven't been staring at a hold message this whole time and simply not comprehending it.

What does the hold pool message look like? I have become a portal-checking fiend since I interviewed in February and haven't heard anything so I want to make sure I haven't been staring at a hold message this whole time and simply not comprehending it.
It completely changed the portal. It says Application Status: Hold in pretty big font towards the top

Interviewed September 12, placed in hold pool November 17, rejected today :(

Interviewed late Jan, hold April. R today. Best to all!!

anyone know if the residency status on your offer letter is final/official? Is that something they would go back and change?