2023-2024 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 for Post-II Hold today, what exactly does a hold mean with decisions coming out next week and interviews being over? Have not seen a hold this late in previous years threads.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! best of luck on your decisions next week! Feel free to ask any questions as they come up, there are a few current students myself included that are happy to answer.

Heard murmurs that decisions will be out on Thursday :)
@goldmirror Any feedback why the school is ranked in the 90s even with free tuition. Is 3 year MD a drawback?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any feedback why the school is ranked in the 90s even with free tuition. Is 3 year MD a drawback?
I know I'm not the person you asked, but a large portion of USNews' ranking methodology is research. This school focuses on primary care; research is not the main objective.

Reactions: 1 users
I know I'm not the person you asked, but a large portion of USNews' ranking methodology is research. This school focuses on primary care; research is not the main objective.
Thanks. But it is unranked in primary care.

Thanks. But it is unranked in primary care.
There is a LOT of paperwork a school would have to do as well to appear in the USNWR rankings. I don’t think NYULI needs to go through that.
Their unique setup with a guaranteed residency placement in the field you are chosen for is a huge plus in my opinion- students not only complete med school in 3 years but get to skip the stress, interviews, and uncertainty of the NRMP match.
You have to want to be in urban NY for the next 6-7 years, (school + residency).

@goldmirror Any feedback why the school is ranked in the 90s even with free tuition. Is 3 year MD a drawback?
Honestly I’m not sure but a few personal thoughts -
1. USNWR rankings are pretty biased and don’t really reflect medical schools well. For example, I have many friends at “higher ranked” schools but I don’t think they’re better than LISOM. We also have a lot of perks which is hard to compare to many other programs.
2. I believe a good portion of USNWR ranking is how much research money goes into the school. While we have a good amount of clinical research, we don’t engage in bench research as much (which makes sense, as there’s no undergrad/Graduate program associated with LISOM).

In regards to what I believe are important (matching, opportunities to network, performing on board exams) I think the school does a good job even though it’s a 3 year program. You need to be proactive and work hard but I think that’s the same at any other medical school, with the added reassurance that you will definitely have a match offer at the end of your education.

Do decisions for everyone go out tomorrow or do they break it up by track.

ralph-wiggum-im-in-danger-meme.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe a ridiculous question but I’m at work today so if I don’t pick up my phone right away (assuming I get a call) will that be a problem for nyu?

maybe a ridiculous question but I’m at work today so if I don’t pick up my phone right away (assuming I get a call) will that be a problem for nyu?

They'll most likely leave you a voicemail, telling you to call them back, chad :cool:

IS A, internal med track! got the call at 9 this morning!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
They are officially done with sending acceptances. Congrats to those who got the call!

Reactions: 1 user
can you share how you know this? Current applicant? work at the school? thanks
Called in and the admissions representative told me. I didn’t get a call so I decided to ask them about the timeline and they said if we don’t hear by end of day today then that’s it

• Care
I wonder when we’ll hear final WL/R. Worked a long 17 hour shift, was really hoping for better news but I know it’s likely an R for my track

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I wonder when we’ll hear final WL/R. Worked a terrible 17 hour shift, was really hoping for better news but I know it’s likely an R for my track
I just called and asked!! They said that the email will be out today

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
IM, priority waitlist. Not sure if it's just a regular WL?

Surgery priority waitlist, was a nice surprise but still know the odds are limited. Excited and grateful for WL regardless

Last edited:
@goldmirror based on your experience do people get off the WL?
Hi! Many people get off the waitlist. I’m not sure what % of waitlist was last year but in the past it’s been anywhere from 20-50% of the class off WL. Don’t stress! Worry about things you can control, like sending in a letter if you are interested.

Thanks. Not worrying. Not sure if I want to be in a paradox of choice, don’t want to sound pretentious either. Very grateful for what I have.

@goldmirror Where and when do the students do their rotations? Do you have opportunity to do rotation in all specialties?

Last edited: