2023-2024 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because the students’ specialty is pre- determined, do the students do rotation in other disciplines other than their specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

@goldmirror Where and when do the students do their rotations? Do you have opportunity to do rotation in all specialties?
Hi - second year is when we do core rotations. They are almost usually at NYU Long Island hospital, but we travel to Brooklyn during psychiatry to rotate through the inpatient unit. You do all core specialties (look on the website for example schedules - internal medicine, primary care, psychiatry, neurology, surgery, peds, obgyn). Third year is focused on more electives/ specialty of choice, including your sub internship, emergency medicine rotation, and ICU rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
@goldmirror trying to understand the career path. After the residency how many years do the doctors serve locally. Is there any mandate? What is the scope of getting a job elsewhere?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
@goldmirror trying to understand the career path. After the residency how many years do the doctors serve locally. Is there any mandate? What is the scope of getting a job elsewhere?

Thanks

@goldmirror can expand but my understanding is there’s no requirement to even do your residency at NYU LI hospital. You have it as an option of course, but it is not a requirement for you to stay for residency or afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users
@goldmirror can expand but my understanding is there’s no requirement to even do your residency at NYU LI hospital. You have it as an option of course, but it is not a requirement for you to stay for residency or afterwards.
Thanks. How competitive would you be if you complete a 3 year degree with other applicants with a 4 year degree when you apply outside?

Thanks. How competitive would you be if you complete a 3 year degree with other applicants with a 4 year degree when you apply outside?
Hi sorry for the late reply! What Sunshine_MD said was correct. It’s harder for sure to be a 3 year degree in the match purely because of time to spend on board exams, research, extracurricular, but our students match well every year. This Friday is match day so we will find out where the third year class ends up, but to my knowledge everybody matched and did not have to soap (even those who went to a different specialty than what they began with).

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone hear about waitlist decisions yet? On their website, they listed that waitlist applicants will start to hear back starting April 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone hear about waitlist decisions yet? On their website, they listed that waitlist applicants will start to hear back starting April 1.
not yet, I was on high priority WL and didnt hear back yet

Not yet. this is my dream school and it just sucks. I'd give my whole kidney for this place lol

Around this time last year I believe some people posted that they heard back from WL. Im wondering if this year is just really slow for them, orrrr they have been pulling people off from the WL and those lucky people havent been posting...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I have not heard something, I promise y'all would be the first to know if I did lol

Got the wish to remain on WL email! I think they sent this in prior years as well as the Apr 30 deadline approaches.

so they will probably start to pull from WL around 4/30?

just withdrew A for IM track, best of luck everyone!

Manifesting that we all get good news today! I am trying to keep myself busy on my day off

Reactions: 2 users
The wait is literally killing me and there is less than 2 hours left in the business day! If anyone received an acceptance, can you please let us know (even if it is a private DM)?

The wait is literally killing me and there is less than 2 hours left in the business day! If anyone received an acceptance, can you please let us know (even if it is a private DM)?
haven’t heard anything at all 🫡 does anyone know if the school has said anything about starting WL movement?

haven’t heard anything at all 🫡 does anyone know if the school has said anything about starting WL movement?
On their website, it stated that April 1st was when they would start accepting WL applicants. Idk how trustworthy that information was though. I tried to call them as well, but the wait time is just so long that I wasnt able to get through. Idk what they are doing, but some transparency at this point in the cycle would be super helpful, considering that we have around 2.5 months before classes start and there is a lot of prep that needs to take place (such as finding housing, financing, etc).

they did say In the email the coming weeks they anticipate movement. I think we all just need to stay calm and wait honestly....

I called the office yesterday bc I was curious - they said “we don’t have any info about waitlist movement rn, we will call when we have more info about waitlist movement”