2023-2024 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the preferred acronym for Mizzou that I should use in my secondaries? Mizzou is what I find myself wanting to use, MU Med and Mizzou Med are what they use in their own emails. I feel strange using MU because it's the University of Missouri and not Missouri University.
I used Mizzou Med. I think any of those would work, though

Members don't see this ad.

MUSOM, Mizzou Med, and MU Med are all appropriate acronyms! You’re right; it’s weird that we call it MU even though we’re University of Missouri, haha.

What's the preferred acronym for Mizzou that I should use in my secondaries? Mizzou is what I find myself wanting to use, MU Med and Mizzou Med are what they use in their own emails. I feel strange using MU because it's the University of Missouri and not Missouri University.
I used MU SOM and Mizzou Med in my secondaries. I am not sure which one they prefer. But I do not think it is an issue which one you use though and I would not worry about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
@broteinpowder I don't think anybody has received one yet.
At least nobody has reported one - per MSAR they should have been sending them out starting end of September, and in recent years first interviews were delivered in the range of 9/20 to 9/29.

I think I was complete early to mid August and silence so far.

At least nobody has reported one - per MSAR they should have been sending them out starting end of September, and in recent years first interviews were delivered in the range of 9/20 to 9/29.

I think I was complete early to mid August and silence so far.
based on the website they say the start sending II in October so it should be any day now

based on the website they say the start sending II in October so it should be any day now
Oh interesting. They don't seem to historically have a specific day of the week they release invites either so it could literally be any day now.

The M1 and M2 classes just recently completed exam week! So, I figured that would be causing a partial delay for y’all as some Adcom peeps play a role in that process.

Reactions: 1 user
The M1 and M2 classes just recently completed exam week! So, I figured that would be causing a partial delay for y’all as some Adcom peeps play a role in that process.
I wanted to update y’all on this! An M4 friend of mine notified me that the committee is a bit delayed with sending out IIs this year due to new changes in the admissions process. What those changes are? Nobody is sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS II received just now, complete mid August LM 78

Edit: To add, interview dates listed are late October through mid-November, all on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else still waiting for an OOS decision after submitting the form?

i am IS and this school is my top choice. My MCAT is fairly lower than the average, but i think my GPA (3.83 for sGPA and cGPA), extracurriculars, and writing are fairly good. How/when should I tell this school that they are my #1 choice and increase my chances of getting an interview?

I think I was skipped over possibly, as I was complete 8/4, yet those complete after me have received II.

@zorpslayer I have no input about being skipped over or the process of reaching out to schools, as I am nontrad and this is my first cycle.... but for what it's worth I was complete 8/4 as well with a 512 MCAT and 3.92 GPA and have not received an interview. I'm hoping its just early and they are sending out interview invites in batches. Hopefully ours will come soon :D

@zorpslayer I have no input about being skipped over or the process of reaching out to schools, as I am nontrad and this is my first cycle.... but for what it's worth I was complete 8/4 as well with a 512 MCAT and 3.92 GPA and have not received an interview. I'm hoping its just early and they are sending out interview invites in batches. Hopefully ours will come soon :D

well this makes me feel a bit better. it’s my first cycle as well. are you IS?

fingers crossed for us.

any IS people who were complete in July and still haven't gotten an interview?

Received an OOS secondary today about 8 weeks after submitting the OOS form.
Wondering if anyone knows what % of OOS applicants receive a secondary/eventually interview at Mizzou? Just seemed odd to receive the secondary after 2 months. Thanks!

Received an OOS secondary today about 8 weeks after submitting the OOS form.
Wondering if anyone knows what % of OOS applicants receive a secondary/eventually interview at Mizzou? Just seemed odd to receive the secondary after 2 months. Thanks!
I don't know for certain, but I had heard that once your OOS form is approved you are viewed identically to IS applicants. If that is true, then you can expect about a 50% interview rate. Again, not entirely sure if that premise is true.

Hello everyone thought I’d share what we have been told regarding selection process at the interview:

Sounds similar to what has happened in historical year where the admissions committee admits a small batch of applicants at the end of each month, then a large wave of acceptances and waitlist placements will occur in March.

If I interpreted it correctly, it looks like they assign a score to each applicant after their interview, and when they meet at the end of the month, the applicants with scores that are well above their threshold will be admitted, and those who are around or slightly below the estimated threshold will be retained for the next month of evaluation. This continues until March when the threshold is set in stone.

Good luck to all!
Was there any indication as to how far they are into sending out interviews? Asking for all my fellow people still hoping like crazy for an II from Mizzou!

Reactions: 2 users
To add to what @substancepee123 said, they also mentioned that they anticipate sending their first round of regular decision-acceptances toward the end of November.

Was there any indication as to how far they are into sending out interviews? Asking for all my fellow people still hoping like crazy for an II from Mizzou!

They did not mention that, but they did indicate that interviews take place well into the new year, so it’s likely that the vast majority of II have not gone out yet.

IS interviewed 10/31, they said they send out decisions at the end of every month

anyone have any interview tips for mizzou?
At least in my case, neither interview was very conversational -- particularly the student interview. They were mostly traditional questions (e.g. "tell me about yourself" and "tell me about this activity") but be prepared for a couple abstract questions -- for example, I had one that was something along the lines of "tell me about a time your character was questioned."

anyone have any interview tips for mizzou?
I thought my two interviews were very conversational and flowed quite easily between structured questions and follow-ups. For those who don't know, there are two interviews, each roughly 45 mins-1 hour.

You need to know your application well, as they asked specific questions about different experiences I had listed. I think if you look at the AAMC core competencies and feel confident answering questions based on them you will be well-prepared. Be familiar with PBL, ethics, why Mizzou, how you add something distinct to the incoming class, and come with a few questions you'd like clarified about the school or life in Columbia/Springfield. I did not feel at any point like the interviewers were trying to "trick" me or ask "gotcha" questions. They were kind and genuinely seemed interested in learning more about me as a person and sharing why they felt the school was a good place to study and work.

Good luck!

When I received an interview invitation, the last date available to schedule at that time was today. Do we think we'll get a status update tomorrow?

When I received an interview invitation, the last date available to schedule at that time was today. Do we think we'll get a status update tomorrow?

I was thinking the same thing. I would be surprised tbh since they said it wouldn’t be til the end of the month multiple times in my session, but I hope I’m wrong. I’m getting tried of obsessively checking my email and having a heart attack every time I get a scam call.

I was thinking the same thing. I would be surprised tbh since they said it wouldn’t be til the end of the month multiple times in my session, but I hope I’m wrong. I’m getting tried of obsessively checking my email and having a heart attack every time I get a scam call.
Oh, I thought I had heard that somewhere. Maybe it is the end of each month. In last year's thread it seemed like they released decisions almost every week but sounds like they're changing things up a bit.

Status unchanged email just now, interviewed 11/6