2023-2024 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my acceptance here. Hopefully it goes to one of you wonderful people!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Do I need to prepare for the group interview?
It's more of an opportunity for you to ask questions to a faculty member and the student representatives. Without going into too much detail, you'll want to remain professional but it was very cordial and relaxed. Definitely not high-stress. You can prepare questions to ask about the program, but due to the time constraints not everyone got to ask a question, so try to get your hand raised as quickly as possible without being a jerk about it haha

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone provide insight into what interview day is like? Since it is only one hour and there is a group of us, are we still expected to answer Qs in an MMI fashion? Or is it an info session that isn't being "scored" in any way?
I responded to a similar question, but basically it's your chance to hear from a faculty member and student representatives about the program. It's more like a presentation and was not stressful at all. Do dress professionally and remain professional during the session, but if you have any questions about the program prepared then the group interview is your opportunity to ask. Because of the time constraints you might not get to have your question answered so do keep that in mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
I responded to a similar question, but basically it's your chance to hear from a faculty member and student representatives about the program. It's more like a presentation and was not stressful at all. Do dress professionally and remain professional during the session, but if you have any questions about the program prepared then the group interview is your opportunity to ask. Because of the time constraints you might not get to have your question answered so do keep that in mind!
Thank you so much for the info, this helps a lot!

Just withdrew my acceptance to dmu, hoping it goes to one of you lovely people!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my A today - I hope it goes to one of you. DMU is a great school but I'm staying close to home

Can anyone provide insight into what interview day is like? Since it is only one hour and there is a group of us, are we still expected to answer Qs in an MMI fashion? Or is it an info session that isn't being "scored" in any way?
group session is not scored whatsoever and you don't have to answer any questions

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there is an accepted students group me ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg congrats to all the As im so happy for y’all

• Love
Just got my A via text!!!! Group session was 11/9

Reactions: 4 users
Text is legit! Email will come later in the day and the portal will update within a day or so. Congrats everyone 🎉 🥳

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My daughter received her email
I have cried, laughed and everything in between
Congrats to all
Well deserved
The rest still waiting don’t give up and never stop believing
Merry Xmas

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hey, I interviewed on 10/22 and had my group session on 11/2. In the email I received on 11/2, they said to allow for 4-6 weeks for a decision. This coming Thursday marks 6 weeks, is it fair to send an email to admissions on Friday if they haven't sent one out yet by then or would that look bad?
I'm in the same boat, did you end up reaching out?

I'm in the same boat, did you end up reaching out?
Nope, there seems to be some movement as seen on this thread. Also although I don’t think it will affect the outcome at all I don’t want to risk it in the 1% chance it does.

Nope, there seems to be some movement as seen on this thread. Also although I don’t think it will affect the outcome at all I don’t want to risk it in the 1% chance it does.
My daughter had a session 10/20 and just heard from them.

I reached out and got the A two days later, so it may show them you are still interested 🤷🏻‍♂️

I reached out and got the A two days later, so it may show them you are still interested 🤷🏻‍♂️
When you worded this email was there anything special you included or was it just continued interest?

When you worded this email was there anything special you included or was it just continued interest?
Pretty much just continued interest. They said to reach out after 3 weeks if I hadn't heard anything, so I said that and that I was still interested in the possibility of attending DMU. Just kept it short and sweet.

Got an A via text last week! Is there an accepted student groupchat? Have some questions as I’m trying to decide between this school and another. Thanks!!

Just got waitlisted, what they call an "alternate student". Really sad but also hopeful.. They said that as the process goes on they will free up spots and in Spring 2024 they will send us where in the waitlist we are. I hope things work out but for now time to prep for a reapp!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got waitlisted, what they call an "alternate student". Really sad but also hopeful.. They said that as the process goes on they will free up spots and in Spring 2024 they will send us where in the waitlist we are. I hope things work out but for now time to prep for a reapp!
Same! I withdrew. Interview completed back in August

• Care
Same! I withdrew. Interview completed back in August
If you don’t mind me asking why did you withdraw so early? Might as well keep it there in case it goes through right or is there any benefit

If you don’t mind me asking why did you withdraw so early? Might as well keep it there in case it goes through right or is there any benefit
Simple answer, probably because they already have an acceptance somewhere they’d rather go over DMU. I can’t think of any other reasons they would withdraw.

Yaa accepted elsewhere!
Thought it would be more fair to just get off the waitlist early on so other people can move up on the list

Reactions: 6 users
Got the A via text just now! Group session was 10/27. OOS, LM 68.5

During the first part of the interview or the assessment do you type out your answers or does it get recorded.

Has anyone seen a group me yet ? I know there is a face book group, but was just curious

Hi I got an acceptance to this school and I also have an acceptance to CALMED and HOFSTRA (both MD schools)… I have a few other acceptances to some other DO medical colleges… can anyone advise on this? I do not have desired to hold As at schools I don’t care about at all and so to help applicants on waitlist and such I am trimming my As but need guidance. Should I consider Des Moines seriously over CALMED or HOFSTRA? I would also like to read perspective of current DO medical student… what are your thoughts?

EDIT: im assume more content is important here… I spoke with students at other DO schools that I am As at and point blank they advise always pick MD to DO no exception… but I would like more information on decisions of this calaber… important life decisions require many hours of thought. Thanks

Hi I got an acceptance to this school and I also have an acceptance to CALMED and HOFSTRA (both MD schools)… I have a few other acceptances to some other DO medical colleges… can anyone advise on this? I do not have desired to hold As at schools I don’t care about at all and so to help applicants on waitlist and such I am trimming my As but need guidance. Should I consider Des Moines seriously over CALMED or HOFSTRA? I would also like to read perspective of current DO medical student… what are your thoughts?

EDIT: im assume more content is important here… I spoke with students at other DO schools that I am As at and point blank they advise always pick MD to DO no exception… but I would like more information on decisions of this calaber… important life decisions require many hours of thought. Thanks
First of all, if you aren’t trolling, you should create your own X vs Y thread for better yield on the kind of advice you want.

Second, it’s almost always MD over DO if you care about your future prospects. I don’t mean to beat the dead horse, but the bias against DOs still exists out there, and it will definitely impact your career whether you like it or not.

Definitely MD over DO and never look back. Currently a 4th year at DMU and I will say the training I've gotten here has been good, but I am sure MD schools can provide you with better opportunities if you are thinking of more competitive specialties (especially ROAD specialties). Even if you're thinking primary care, I wouldn't pick a DO over a MD just because you never know if you'd change your mind later down the road.

Received the A just now but declining for my top choice MD. Complete 10/26/23. Hope the spot goes to one of y'all. Best of luck, future doctors!

Just got the A text message; group session was 10/27. I was also accepted to NYITCOM before, what do you guys think about which one may be better?

NYIT’s deposit is due in 4 days sooo :’)

Anyone that felt they fumbled on 1-2 of the interview questions and still got an A? Group session was 11/17, so I'm thinking they'll send out news soon for us

Just got the A text message; group session was 10/27. I was also accepted to NYITCOM before, what do you guys think about which one may be better?

NYIT’s deposit is due in 4 days sooo :’)
I would say they are pretty comparable with NYITCOM having a very slight edge. They matched someone into Neurosurg this past match, I believe. That said I have heard that the DO stigma is virtually non-existent for students from DMUCOM just because of how great the program is. Something to consider. Congrats on the A future Doc!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone that felt they fumbled on 1-2 of the interview questions and still got an A? Group session was 11/17, so I'm thinking they'll send out news soon for us
I felt like I screwed up every single question except for the written ones. Like stumbling over my words, leaving out key components, giving generic answers, and just generally not making sense. Still got the A. Turning it down though so I hope it goes to you.

Also, I was complete 10/26 (10-week turnaround time) so it could be another few weeks. whatever the case, good luck.

Reactions: 3 users