2023-2024 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello people, current 3rd year student. Feel free to message me with any questions about our school. I'll also check here periodically to see if there's anything i can help with

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I completed on 8/28, am I cookin up an R here? I'm OOS, average stats, tons of clinical experience/shadowing, and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think y'all should be worried about this since it is still interview season (and it lasts till March of next year). I didn't get my interview until late December. Also, no one can predict whether or not you will get an II even with your credentials/experiences. They are picky about who they want in their class and the mission alignment.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to sound neurotic but I submitted 08/01 and haven’t received an II yet, but I did receive a secondary the same day that I submitted my AACOMAS app…is that a good sign that they were at least interested in my app?

Not to sound neurotic but I submitted 08/01 and haven’t received an II yet, but I did receive a secondary the same day that I submitted my AACOMAS app…is that a good sign that they were at least interested in my app?
Neurotic here 👋🏻 I called them and they said it’s still very early in the cycle for them so don’t be nervous 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not neurotic :) Interview invites go out in waves based on internal criteria and will be sent throughout the year. Since we use a holistic admissions process II is not based on when an application is submitted, but the entirety of their application. In this thread, a few of our current students have commented on when they received their II.

Weird question: I have an interview at a different school that I have to fly to and pay for hotel and food, and it is right when they said I would hear back from BCOM. Since flights were expensive and non-refundable next week when I leave, should I reach out to the college and explain my situation to them so I can attempt to save myself a couple grand by not having to go to this other interview? Burrell is my top choice and I am in-state with stats at or above the matriculation means of last cohort.

Weird question: I have an interview at a different school that I have to fly to and pay for hotel and food, and it is right when they said I would hear back from BCOM. Since flights were expensive and non-refundable next week when I leave, should I reach out to the college and explain my situation to them so I can attempt to save myself a couple grand by not having to go to this other interview? Burrell is my top choice and I am in-state with stats at or above the matriculation means of last cohort.
If your situation is simply, "I want to call the college to see if I was accepted," there is no guarantee or exact answer they can give you. The decision process goes through rounds of votes before a final decision is made, and who knows if they have gotten to your files yet. My best advice is to call the other college that gave you an II and see if they are willing to reschedule your II for another date down the line.

If your situation is simply, "I want to call the college to see if I was accepted," there is no guarantee or exact answer they can give you. The decision process goes through rounds of votes before a final decision is made, and who knows if they have gotten to your files yet. My best advice is to call the other college that gave you an II and see if they are willing to reschedule your II for another date down the line.
I think this is good advice to see if they could reschedule it. Also, do you know if they would consider doing a virtual interview if you explained your situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not neurotic :) Interview invites go out in waves based on internal criteria and will be sent throughout the year. Since we use a holistic admissions process II is not based on when an application is submitted, but the entirety of their application. In this thread, a few of our current students have commented on when they received their II.
Is there anyway we could send in a letter of intent if we haven't gotten any interview? I saw somewhere that it was possible but I don't know if I read that wrong hahah

Just submitted here :) hope I’m not too late to the party

Hi! If someone were to be interviewed and accepted into Burrell, do they let you choose the location you attend? Or do they assign you based on your preferences? Thanks in advance!

I’ve submitted my secondary in August (just waiting hopefully for an II now). However, I have received 2 emails this past week telling me about Burrell and telling me to apply. I’m so confused why I’m getting this now even though I’ve clearly already applied. Like, I’m sorry, but I can’t reapply if I’ve already applied lol

I got the same two emails . I think because we applied we are now on the listserv so we’re getting the same advertisements they send to everyone

I guess we all gotta withdraw our apps from here and reapply! Applying twice in the same cycle to the same school is totally normal and is actually desired. /s

On the real though, I got so worried cause I thought my app didn’t go through for them or had gotten rejected (and put back on the “learn about us” mailing list). Glad to know I’m not alone!

• Haha
Yeah when I got the first email that says “now is my time” I got so excited that maybe it was an interview then I quickly realized I was wrong . lol

OOS II received yesterday. Complete early July. So they are coming.

anyone else concerned about going to a new DO school?. Understand their NM site is not new, but I have Florida as my first choice.

anyone else concerned about going to a new DO school?. Understand their NM site is not new, but I have Florida as my first choice.
It’s not considered a new DO school if it’s just a campus of their main site.

In terms of accreditation, the Florida campus is considered new.

Yes, it is considered new. I attended an interview about ~1 week ago and they said it was a sister campus so it has full accreditation like the one is Las Cruces. Hope this helps!

II yesterday, submitted secondary early October

Last edited:
Could a current Burrell student give me their honest opinion of how Burrell is ? Pros and cons ?

I’ve submitted my secondary in August (just waiting hopefully for an II now). However, I have received 2 emails this past week telling me about Burrell and telling me to apply. I’m so confused why I’m getting this now even though I’ve clearly already applied. Like, I’m sorry, but I can’t reapply if I’ve already applied lol
Hey there! No need to worry; this is just our general marketing campaign to tell you more about the school. If you have questions about your specific application, please email Admissions at [email protected] for an update. Have a great day!

In terms of accreditation, the Florida campus is considered new.
Great questions about accreditation! The Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) fully accredits both the New Mexico and Florida campuses. Since the Florida campus is an additional location, it inherits the New Mexico accreditation.

Secondary recieved ! Instate Florida

Well while submitting the secondary I saw federal financial aid is currently only available to students attending the New Mexico campus. Does this mean you are expecting to take private loans out?

Well while submitting the secondary I saw federal financial aid is currently only available to students attending the New Mexico campus. Does this mean you are expecting to take private loans out?

Yes. Federal aid can only be used in the Las Cruces location. For the Florida campus they told us that only private loans and scholarships can be used.

Anyone else not submit the optional video?

Could a current Burrell student give me their honest opinion of how Burrell is ? Pros and cons ?
Pros
  • We've had pretty solid match results including competitive fields such as Ortho, Ophtho and Derm.
  • I've always felt that the faculty take their feedback seriously and try to implement changes based on that feedback from students
  • Our 3rd year rotations are taken care of by the school (I've heard that other DO schools require you to schedule rotations with doctors)
  • We can choose what city we rotate in for 3rd year (there is a selection process but most people are happy with it)
  • No mandatory attendance for lectures and no dress code (some schools require shirts and ties)
Cons
  • We don't have a huge hospital with multiple residency programs associated with us (most private/DO schools have this issue)
  • Not a lot of support is offered to students that fail. Currently, if you fail 2 classes in a semester you are either kicked out or have to start the year over again which sucks. Additionally I think that more can be done to help these students out or help them before this problem gets that far.
  • Some professors teach about the most irrelevant things that do not show up on board exams and will not help you in a clinical setting (maybe a lot of other schools have this issue idk)

That's all i could think of. Overall, as I've told others, BCOM does a great job at supporting you if you're motivated but they don't hold your hand the entire way. I have no real issues with the school, I would BCOM again.

Reactions: 5 users
Did those that interviewed send thank you emails to their interviewers? I known some schools don't want thank you's so I was wondering if this school is one that doesn't?
I sent a thank you note to both of my interviewers as a kind gesture to show my appreciation for them taking the time out of their busy schedules to interview me.