2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II early this afternoon! OOS, complete 8/1.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II received just now!! Complete 7/13, OOS with no ties, URM, LM 67.5, 2nd quartile CASPer

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! I am an MS1 here at Penn State. I remember how tough the process was when I was in it, and I wanted to offer any advice/answer any questions... just let me know, I'll be around!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if they let you know who your interviewers are beforehand?

Does anyone know if they let you know who your interviewers are beforehand?
closer to the interview date a "web interview" tab will show up on the portal and it will have the interviewers names and zoom links

Reactions: 1 user
closer to the interview date a "web interview" tab will show up on the portal and it will have the interviewers names and zoom links
Thanks so much!!! Was there an email notif when that info was made available?

II invite 10/5. Complete 7/16.

Also, just letting y'all know - the lunch Q&As are:
1. very helpful! I was at a few and it's great for sharing advice.
2. NOT GRADED!!! I was very skeptical when I was interviewing - I was like, yeah, right - but as someone who has been on the other side of it now, I literally have no contact with anyone in admissions and have NO SAY. Ask me anything!
3. Ask us anything - When I was interviewing I literally asked how the dating scene was. This is your time to really get a vibe and see if you like this place!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, just letting y'all know - the lunch Q&As are:
1. very helpful! I was at a few and it's great for sharing advice.
2. NOT GRADED!!! I was very skeptical when I was interviewing - I was like, yeah, right - but as someone who has been on the other side of it now, I literally have no contact with anyone in admissions and have NO SAY. Ask me anything!
3. Ask us anything - When I was interviewing I literally asked how the dating scene was. This is your time to really get a vibe and see if you like this place!
I just wish that it wasn't super awkward to eat lunch during that session. I was starving during my PM interviews because I felt too embarrassed to eat since literally no one else was eating anything.

Also, I really wish that instead of the "Host will let you in" screen while we waited, they would have put all the interviewees together in a breakout room so we could talk with one another and see if I vibed with them.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wish that it wasn't super awkward to eat lunch during that session. I was starving during my PM interviews because I felt too embarrassed to eat since literally no one else was eating anything.

Also, I really wish that instead of the "Host will let you in" screen while we waited, they would have put all the interviewees together in a breakout room so we could talk with one another and see if I vibed with them.
Totally eat something!!!! Self care!! I’m sorry you felt that way! (I also didn’t eat during mine bc I felt awkward haha, so I totally understand). for anyone in the future do eat, I promise I see that more favorably than negatively!!

Unfortunately I don’t have control over breakout rooms, but I’ll let our MS1 admissions chairs know to see if they can’t do something :)

Update regarding avaialble dates: it might not show on the calendar, but just call them and they physically open up dates for you!
Can anyone else speak on this/your experience talking to admissions? I want to try to get an earlier date but I'm nervous to ask!

Can anyone else speak on this/your experience talking to admissions? I want to try to get an earlier date but I'm nervous to ask!
They're super nice; when you email them, they redirect you to call another woman who is super friendly on the phone. In my experience, I asked for any Wednesday because of job restrictions. I was scheduled for a Monday and she had given me the Wednesday that same week, so I didn't get an earlier date. I would assume they wouldn't give you an earlier date because they would assume that you're asking for an earlier one because of "better" chances? But that's just pure speculation haha

If you ask, I would choose a particular date as I did and ask if they have any previous or upcoming dates on that day and if it's not what you'd like, just say no thank you. This is also just me being super paranoid and I'm sure the better way to do it just straight up talk to the lady and ask her if you can move yours to an earlier date!

They're super nice; when you email them, they redirect you to call another woman who is super friendly on the phone. In my experience, I asked for any Wednesday because of job restrictions. I was scheduled for a Monday and she had given me the Wednesday that same week, so I didn't get an earlier date. I would assume they wouldn't give you an earlier date because they would assume that you're asking for an earlier one because of "better" chances? But that's just pure speculation haha

If you ask, I would choose a particular date as I did and ask if they have any previous or upcoming dates on that day and if it's not what you'd like, just say no thank you. This is also just me being super paranoid and I'm sure the better way to do it just straight up talk to the lady and ask her if you can move yours to an earlier date!
Ohh yes thank you so much. I don't have a conflict so I will just keep my date! I was just eager to interview and thought you meant you just asked for an earlier date and they were able to move you into an open spot!

Is anyone interviewing in the morning session tomorrow? The email mentions 8:15 check-in but also that the Zoom link is only for the overview session, lunch, and tour. The applicant portal then mentions 8:30 check-in, but again... no instructions about which link to use for this. Does check-in just mean joining your first interview early? Or do we use the Zoom link from the email?

Is anyone interviewing in the morning session tomorrow? The email mentions 8:15 check-in but also that the Zoom link is only for the overview session, lunch, and tour. The applicant portal then mentions 8:30 check-in, but again... no instructions about which link to use for this. Does check-in just mean joining your first interview early? Or do we use the Zoom link from the email?
I'm guessing it's the Zoom link, but I just want to be sure

Anyone know the post II acceptance rate? couldn’t find it on the excel sheet

Anyone know the post II acceptance rate? couldn’t find it on the excel sheet
When I did the math last year, after my interview, I think it was like in the 35-45% range, closer to the 40s. It's pretty high!

• Love
Did you ever figure out the answer to this? Having the same problem and interviewing tomorrow!
Omg sorry just seeing this 😭 for everyone else interviewing in the mornings: the zoom link that they say is for the info session also is used for the welcome session for the morning interviewees. They started it at 8:30, but I was logged on and ready at 8:10 due to conflicting information there. It never hurts to be early anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️ Best of luck everyone!

So I just realized I made a mistake on my secondary. I wanted to write about how I wanted to be involved in community outreach projects, and I didn't realize what the "Community Health Needs Assessment" was (my stupid mistake since I didn't read more about it). So I included that saying I wanted to participate in that thinking it was like the clinics or a program and I feel so stupid now. This would mean that there's no chance for an interview, right?

So I just realized I made a mistake on my secondary. I wanted to write about how I wanted to be involved in community outreach projects, and I didn't realize what the "Community Health Needs Assessment" was (my stupid mistake since I didn't read more about it). So I included that saying I wanted to participate in that thinking it was like the clinics or a program and I feel so stupid now. This would mean that there's no chance for an interview, right?
I am confuse. What are you talking about?

I am confuse. What are you talking about?
In my secondary essay asking why PSCOM, I was talking about being involved in community outreach projects and wanted to include examples of certain projects. On PSCOM's community outreach page they talked about a project "Community Health Needs Assessment," but it's not a free clinic where med students can volunteer but rather just an assessment they perform so they can address the needs of the community better. So I intended to talk about a clinic, but since I didn't look into it more, I talked about the assessment, which doesn't really make sense.

In my secondary essay asking why PSCOM, I was talking about being involved in community outreach projects and wanted to include examples of certain projects. On PSCOM's community outreach page they talked about a project "Community Health Needs Assessment," but it's not a free clinic where med students can volunteer but rather just an assessment they perform so they can address the needs of the community better. So I intended to talk about a clinic, but since I didn't look into it more, I talked about the assessment, which doesn't really make sense.
I see what you mean. I do not think it will entirely cut you off from being considered. Everyone makes a few mistakes which I also did in my primary. Just have faith that the rest of the app holds true!

Niche question: has anyone who has already interviewed actually NOT had a faculty member??? The only info I can find on one of mine is that they are actually a current MS2... Just trying to decide if my researching skills suck or if something hinky is going on here LOL

Niche question: has anyone who has already interviewed actually NOT had a faculty member??? The only info I can find on one of mine is that they are actually a current MS2... Just trying to decide if my researching skills suck or if something hinky is going on here LOL
According to the notes I took from my interview day, some people on my interview day were interviewed by students.

Have anymore II gone out recently here? Does anyone know if they do waves weekly or what?

Did anyone get any follow-up information from Penn State after their interview? Like details about their decision timeline or financial aid?

II today this morning!!

II this afternoon! OOS ORM LM 68

Did anyone interview in September and hear back with a decision yet?

Anyone have an idea of how many applicants they interviewed last year?

Does anyone know if they send pre-II rejections?

Last edited:
Does anyone know their post II acceptance rate?

Is there any way to know what questions were asked during interviews this cycle or in previous cycles?

Also, for people who have already been interviewed, how would you recommend preparing for it?

Thanks!

Is there any way to know what questions were asked during interviews this cycle or in previous cycles?

Also, for people who have already been interviewed, how would you recommend preparing for it?

Thanks!

I typically google “(school name) interview feedback SDN” and that helps!