2019-2020 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched this a.m. looking forward to second look this weekend and meeting future classmates. Very fortunate and excited. Happy for everyone who matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
First decision I've received, and I am waitlisted for the MSTP. Feels bad since they're the highest yield program I interviewed at...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the alternate list email this am, I think some people were asking about it in earlier posts.

Reactions: 4 users
does UTSW reject post interview or just wait list all interviewees

+1 OOS waitlisted. Curious if they do outright Rs or just waitlist anybody that isn’t accepted outright. I know San Antonio doesn’t do outright Rs

I wish they'd at least tell us our position on the WL so we're not holding our breaths but oh whale

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed admissions about whether ALL interviewed applicants or only SOME go on the waitlist. I’ll post their reply when I have it. Good luck folks!

Reactions: 5 users
I wish they'd at least tell us our position on the WL so we're not holding our breaths but oh whale
None of the Texas schools will "number you" or tell you where you are on the WL.
Read your WL emails carefully and see if they ask you to respond in order to be on the list, though.

Alternate...bless. They don't email everyone as I understand. I had a friend two cycles ago who did not get an email that they were on the waitlist.

OOS alternate list. Anyone have any idea what movement we might see for OOS’ers?

Does anyone have a picture of the financial aid paper they gave at the interview? Or their copy and can send a picture of it?

when is there typically movement on waitlist?
No way to know for sure, but a while ago I saw where someone on this thread said when Baylor acceptances go out in March and April, there’s a lot of slots that open up at UTSW

Current students, would y’all say UT Southwestern is cliquey?? Or are the students pretty welcoming/accepting? It’s such a great school, but I felt some cliquey vibes during MS0 weekend and was worried :(

Reactions: 2 users
Current students, would y’all say UT Southwestern is cliquey?? Or are the students pretty welcoming/accepting? It’s such a great school, but I felt some cliquey vibes during MS0 weekend and was worried :(

I also got a cliquey vibe during just the interview days. By day 2 it was almost impossible to talk to new people bc the interviewees naturally formed groups.
Sad because I really love the school, would love to hear that’s it actually not like that and I just had an off interview group.

I also got a cliquey vibe during just the interview days. By day 2 it was almost impossible to talk to new people bc the interviewees naturally formed groups.
Sad because I really love the school, would love to hear that’s it actually not like that and I just had an off interview group.

I felt the same way. Despite making an active effort to talk to a lot of people, it was really hard to join those naturally formed groups without feeling like an outsider. I noticed the med students also weren’t really friendly or acknowledged other students outside their “group.” I could be reading the room wrong though! Yah it’d be nice if some students can give their perspective

MS1 here! I've found the environment here incredibly welcoming. Some friend groups do form, but I think that's a part of human nature and would be the case anywhere. I've met some amazing people here who I think and hope will be lifelong friends, but I'm also always willing to meet new people too, and I've found my classmates to be equally as willing to form new friendships. I'm so sorry if anyone made you feel like an outsider for whatever reason. Btw, feel free to message me if you have any questions - I'm happy to help!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the choose your medical school tool works for TMDSAS schools? I noticed it shows up on the AMCAS portal.

Does anyone know how the choose your medical school tool works for TMDSAS schools? I noticed it shows up on the AMCAS portal.
You are seeing UTSW in AMCAS choose your school portal?

Yes! I don't know if it's only showing up bc I'm OOS.
I think UTSW is participating in the program. Not sure if other Texas schools do or not.

They are providing national visibility to their peers so students dont consider them separately from their other admissions.

They have instructions for reconciling acceptances/choosing school for AMCAS applicants in the acceptance offer on the application portal.
TL;DR: CTE 4/30

what does it mean if im not seeing it, just wait or should i give them a call?

I felt the same way. Despite making an active effort to talk to a lot of people, it was really hard to join those naturally formed groups without feeling like an outsider. I noticed the med students also weren’t really friendly or acknowledged other students outside their “group.” I could be reading the room wrong though! Yah it’d be nice if some students can give their perspective

MS3 here. This is something I def worried about at the beginning of med school, having not lived in Texas previously so not having any preformed friendships like many of my other classmates. I haven't really found it to be cliquey -- actually quite a few of my closest friendships in med school developed after MS1! It's a big school so it's hard to be friends with the entire class, so naturally groups develop, but I haven't found them to be stagnant. I don't go to campus much any more (more comfy to work at home, not a knock against campus lol) but when I do, it routinely takes me a lot longer to get anywhere than I anticipate because I run into so many of my classmates that I stop and catch up with. Clerkships also helped me meet a lot of new people and make new friends since you're typically with the same group of ~25 that you may not have known well before. Hope this helps!

The faculty and staff are from all over the world. It would be very hard not to meet someone from your hometown, home state or even home country.

Hi, I have some questions about grades during clinicals! It would be super helpful if any current students have input! What’s the clinical grading system like? For example, are shelves or evaluations weighted more heavily? Are there certain cut offs for what % of students can get honors, high pass, etc? Do students feel like the grading is fair or does it feel arbitrary?

Last edited:
Hi, I have some questions about grades during clinicals! It would be super helpful if any current students have input! What’s the clinical grading system like? For example, are shelves or evaluations weighted more heavily? Are there certain cut offs for what % of students can get honors, high pass, etc? Do students feel like the grading is fair or does it feel arbitrary?
Hello! Grades for clerkships are honors/near honors/high pass/pass/fail. Typically for each rotation the shelf is about 30% and evals/other assignments during the rotation make up the rest, so definitely not shelf-heavy. There are no cut-offs for % of students getting a certain grade. Each rotation has a slightly different grading scale, which have recently been modified since there was previously a lot of grade inflation (>25% of the first new curriculum class had all honors grades for example, which made it really hard to differentiate students.) My year's grades are much more spread out which we are happy with, since now a single non-honors grade doesn't put you out of the top quartile or out of AOA consideration. I don't think any medical student at any school feels like clerkship grading is truly fair lol since it is mostly subjective, but I've been overall happy with my grades!

Hello! Grades for clerkships are honors/near honors/high pass/pass/fail. Typically for each rotation the shelf is about 30% and evals/other assignments during the rotation make up the rest, so definitely not shelf-heavy. There are no cut-offs for % of students getting a certain grade. Each rotation has a slightly different grading scale, which have recently been modified since there was previously a lot of grade inflation (>25% of the first new curriculum class had all honors grades for example, which made it really hard to differentiate students.) My year's grades are much more spread out which we are happy with, since now a single non-honors grade doesn't put you out of the top quartile or out of AOA consideration. I don't think any medical student at any school feels like clerkship grading is truly fair lol since it is mostly subjective, but I've been overall happy with my grades!

Thanks for your response!! So I know there’s always a degree of subjectivity in clerkship grading, but you wouldn’t say it’s out of control at UTSW correct? Would you say hard work pays off in general or is it pretty random? And are there any specific rotations where the subjectivity/unfairness is particularly bad?

I guess I just read a lot of horror stories about clerkship grading—with some some schools being better/worse than others—and wanted to put that in consideration when choosing a school!

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!! So I know there’s always a degree of subjectivity in clerkship grading, but you wouldn’t say it’s out of control at UTSW correct? Would you say hard work pays off in general or is it pretty random? And are there any specific rotations where the subjectivity/unfairness is particularly bad?

I guess I just read a lot of horror stories about clerkship grading—with some some schools being better/worse than others—and wanted to put that in consideration when choosing a school!
I don't think it's out of control, no. There is definitely some subjectivity and I've gotten a few evals where I've been like ??? but my overall rotation grade has never suffered from a weird eval. Some rotations you spend more/less time with your attendings (particularly surgical rotations like gen surg or OB) so that can lead to evals that are less "fair" because they see less of you. But for most of my rotations like this, they're tried to get input from residents, since you work much more closely with them.

• Love
Does anyone know if they have a lot of OOS WL movement? MSAR says they only interview 100 OOS, and they can matriculate 23. A previous year’s thread had aid that like 60-70% OOS get the A from the WL but I was curious if that was true.

Does anyone know if they have a lot of OOS WL movement? MSAR says they only interview 100 OOS, and they can matriculate 23. A previous year’s thread had said that like 60-70% OOS get the A from the WL but I was curious if that was true.

This might be a silly question, but how do I withdraw my acceptance? I can't seem to find the link to do so. Want to be courteous to those on the waitlist as I'm 100% sure I will not be attending.

This might be a silly question, but how do I withdraw my acceptance? I can't seem to find the link to do so. Want to be courteous to those on the waitlist as I'm 100% sure I will not be attending.

I would email admissions and let them know. That should take care of it. As someone who’s currently on the waitlist this would mean the world, even if I’m not necessarily next in line. Thank you.

Is there an equivalent of the "commit to enroll" date for UTSW? At what point would I have to withdraw from waitlists and officially commit to UTSW?

The offer/acceptance letter states April 30th as the CTE date.
this agrees with the general TMDSAS guidelines as well:

• April 30: Applicants holding more than one acceptance must choose one and withdraw from all other schools
  • May 15: After 5:00pm Texas medical schools will not offer positions to applicants already holding an acceptance from another Texas medical school

So does that mean one would have to withdraw from all AMCAS waitlists by April 30th for UTSW?
I would interpret it that way. Are you on WL for schools you would prefer to UTSW? No need to answer that publicly, but that is what you need to answer for yourself.