2023-2024 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As promised, I wanted to share here that I withdrew my prematch to UT Tyler. After confirming that I would rank a different prematch offer higher, I hoped that in formally withdrawing, someone else might get good news before the match <3. Best of luck, everyone! It truly is a wonderful community.
i so appreciate your kindness in letting us know and I pray that you will be blessed in return!! i know that with this compassion and kindness you will absolutely shine as a physician ♥

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
last year they sent the Waitlist/R emails about 3-4 hours after the match. they did not waitlist everyone.

final rejections don’t go out until the first week of school ◡̈
thank you for the insight cranberry <3

i am so over the moon that you're accepted, you'll be amazing

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys was it any where in writing that there will be free tuition for the entering class of 2024

do u have a link to where this is stated? where can i find this

1. New medical school opens opportunities for East Texans Palestine Herald - a nearby town's newspaper
  2. $5 Million Gift Continues Momentum for UT Tyler School of Medicine. - article from UT Tyler itself saying "As a result of this generosity, every student enrolled in the second class of the UT Tyler School of Medicine will receive a four-year scholarship to cover their full tuition"
  3. 'It's been surreal': 40 students of UT Tyler School of Medicine's inaugural class adjust to classes - article from Tyler Morning Telegraph+
If you read the articles each mentions the free tuition for second class.

• Love
  1. New medical school opens opportunities for East Texans Palestine Herald - a nearby town's newspaper
  2. $5 Million Gift Continues Momentum for UT Tyler School of Medicine. - article from UT Tyler itself saying "As a result of this generosity, every student enrolled in the second class of the UT Tyler School of Medicine will receive a four-year scholarship to cover their full tuition"
  3. 'It's been surreal': 40 students of UT Tyler School of Medicine's inaugural class adjust to classes - article from Tyler Morning Telegraph+
Thank you

If you read the articles each mentions the free tuition for second class.
Its kind of interesting that UT Tyler website is listing full cost and not mentioning the funding.

Its kind of interesting that UT Tyler website is listing full cost and not mentioning the funding.

In case anyone has doubt, the school confirmed it in their Q&A last week.

i thought this was interesting too- last year they talked about it on interview day but this year it seemed very much on the back burner, they haven’t brought it up unless a student asks. i’m sure they’re trying to avoid people choosing the school due to the funding vs actually wanting to attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have another friend who ranked another prematch higher than UTT, so there’s a few spots open for the match!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i thought this was interesting too- last year they talked about it on interview day but this year it seemed very much on the back burner, they haven’t brought it up unless a student asks. i’m sure they’re trying to avoid people choosing the school due to the funding vs actually wanting to attend.
They are trying to sell themselves as a medical school as opposed to please come because we are giving it away free.

two of my sweet friends matched this morning 😭 so many happy tears

• Love
if anyone else matched message me for the groupme 🤠🤟🏻

Did anyone just receive the WL email at 2:32 PM CST?

rejection letter(not waitlist, flat out rejection) at 2:30 today. i know my undergrad gpa is **** but I tried so hard with much better grades in my masters. I worked at this hospital, did the Summer Health Externship in college, am from the area, tons of volunteering around Tyler - other than my undergrad gpa I don't know what else I could have done :'( I know I didn't deserve to get in with my low GPA, but I wish they would have never interviewed me so I wouldn't have got my hopes up. edited to add- I am so happy that there was so much interest in UT Tyler med school though, our area desperately needs doctors willing to drive out to rural areas and I am so grateful to those of you who applied and are helping serve the unique mission ♥

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
rejection letter(not waitlist, flat out rejection) at 2:30 today. i know my undergrad gpa is **** but I tried so hard with much better grades in my masters. Other than my bad GPA I had a decent MCAT, worked at this hospital, did the Summer Health Externship in college, am from the area, tons of volunteering around Tyler with Bethseda and Net Health East Texas - other than my undergrad gpa I don't know what else I could have done :'( I wish they would have never interviewed me so I wouldn't have got my hopes up
Give yourself some grief space, then embrace your favorite DO school and plan your medical future

• Care
i received WL email but i ranked them below a PM school ¿

That's bizarre. My friend matched to Tech today and got notified by Tyler (and SHSU) that they can no longer consider his app further. Tyler did not mention that he matched to a higher-ranked school, SHSU did.

And sorry to ask, but anyone know the WL stats from last year?
last year they went down 3 spots to pull one off (first two declined)

i’m still debating between my two schools so i’ll let y’all know first if i decide to let my tyler spot go! i’ll also let you know if i hear of anyone else who does. i was WL last year so if you’re looking to reapply, it’s not a bad thing for next cycle!

Last edited:
I know I didn't deserve to get in with my low GPA, but I wish they would have never interviewed me so I wouldn't have got my hopes up.
just so you know, my friend with a 3.89 just got rejected as well. don’t beat yourself up- stats are definitely not the end all for tyler.

• Love
That's bizarre. My friend matched to Tech today and got notified by Tyler (and SHSU) that they can no longer consider his app further. Tyler did not mention that he matched to a higher-ranked school, SHSU did.

Did your friend interview at shsu and get a rejection?

Did your friend interview at shsu and get a rejection?

No, he just ranked it low in his ranking. But he got an email saying “TMDSAS has notified us that you matched with another medical school and your application has been automatically withdrawn from SHSU-COM…”

3 more people joined the group from match so already a lot more movement than last year, 7 total just in the groupme! i think last year only 3 people didn’t match after prematching

3 more people joined the group from match so already a lot more movement than last year, 7 total just in the groupme! i think last year only 3 people didn’t match after prematching
Trying to understand these numbers.

Is the assumption that class was filled with prematches but 7 people went elsewhere during match to be replaced by 7 new people during match?

Trying to understand these numbers.

Is the assumption that class was filled with prematches but 7 people went elsewhere during match to be replaced by 7 new people during match?
yes! they did say they gave out 40 prematches this year.

How regional are the people in groupme?
It seems like everyone has ties but the majority of people seemed to have moved away for undergrad & are coming back. Only 3 of us from UTT undergrad got a prematch but a few more matched.

• Care
A little confused, I matched to a different school that I had ranked higher than UTT for match but then got an email saying that I was on UTT's waitlist. I thought that was impossible since I matched to a school I ranked higher? Was there a glitch and I was supposed to get that email before match day or something?

A little confused, I matched to a different school that I had ranked higher than UTT for match but then got an email saying that I was on UTT's waitlist. I thought that was impossible since I matched to a school I ranked higher? Was there a glitch and I was supposed to get that email before match day or something?
it’s a glitch, just email them back letting them know that you’re declining the spot

You can write a brief email to UT Tyler declining your place on their WL
This is a minor glitch that a few people have had but your Match spot is secure

I matched! Can someone inbox me the info for the GroupMe please!

Anyone know if they took anyone from out of state?

Last edited: