2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!! Got the email at 11!! Interviewed 11/7. Soooo excited!! UTSW is my top choice!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted, offered full scholarship! Interviewed 11/07

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you just get the acceptance? or was it also at 11? Also, how did you interview at McGovern and UTSW on 11/7 lol just saw your old post?
Got my dates wrong, checked my calender. I interviewed McGovern on 11th. Got acceptance earlier today.

is there a thread or groupme for accepted students?

From what I can gather UTSW seems to be offering pre-matches to students from the month prior so it seems like this time it ranges from late October to early December. If someone interviews but doesn't get matched in the upcoming month is it possible for them to get matched in the following month (For example interviewing early November and matching in January)? Will there be a day they offer pre-matches in January? I understand that no one has definitive answers to these questions but any insight/information would be nice!

To all those of you who matched today congratulations! Make sure you celebrate properly!

Reactions: 1 user
From what I can gather UTSW seems to be offering pre-matches to students from the month prior so it seems like this time it ranges from late October to early December. If someone interviews but doesn't get matched in the upcoming month is it possible for them to get matched in the following month (For example interviewing early November and matching in January)? Will there be a day they offer pre-matches in January? I understand that no one has definitive answers to these questions but any insight/information would be nice!

To all those of you who matched today congratulations! Make sure you celebrate properly!
There are probably 2 matches pending - a prematch in January and one that is actual match in February.

Also got an A today! Interviewed 11/7 as well!

edit: 517, 3.9 gpa, IS TX resident.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Did any OOS students get the A today? I interviewed mid-Nov and was hoping to hear back this month.
I am OOS and was accepted today. I interviewed early Dec. But that def doesn't mean that you won't hear back! In my experience, schools can release acceptances at different times! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted this Thursday and interviewed 10/24, so more proof they are reevaluating candidates from older interview dates!

Also accepted this Thursday and interviewed 10/24, so more proof they are reevaluating candidates from older interview dates!
Do you mind sharing your LM score. I was also interviewed on 10/24 and absolute silence so far.

Do y'all know when they stop sending out interview invites? I'm IS and was complete 7/28 and haven't heard back from them at all. Part of me expects not to hear back from them anymore but part of me is still hopeful

Do y'all know when they stop sending out interview invites? I'm IS and was complete 7/28 and haven't heard back from them at all. Part of me expects not to hear back from them anymore but part of me is still hopeful
I know a lot of January spots are filled atm, and probably pushing into feb so it's getting sparser :/. Someone who has gotten a more recent II would be able to attest to this.

• Sad
Just curious, I saw some people saying there will be a prematch in Jan? I was looking at UTSW's past threads and that didn't seem to be the case. Did COVID add another prematch date?
There has never been a match day in March rather than the first week of February, so I think it's speculation.
We'll have to wait and see if they send more pre-match offers before the Feb 19th deadline for applicants to rank their TMDSAS schools.

Reactions: 1 users
We have only had one interview date in the past in January before match day but there will be 2-3 interview dates this year in January and match has been pushed to February. So January is officially December in the new date scheme with multiple interview dates. The expectation is that UTSW wont roll a whole bunch of interview dates into Match and probably will do at least one more announcement.

This is speculation and there is no official announcement. They have never done official announcements on how many prematches they do either and they have only had 3 prematches so far this year by my count while they did more than 3 last year (I remember December had at least 2).

do you think a letter of intent/update would be helpful post-II? interviewed in jan and really am hoping for a prematch!

Just rank them #1
Quick question Wysdoc, and I may have asked this before...

Does how I rank schools effect my chances of getting at least one acceptance? I.e. let's say someone wants to just get in somewhere, should they rank a lower tier school as #1 to increase their odds?

P.s. no hate for "lower tier" schools, we all become competent doctors!

Does how I rank schools effect my chances of getting at least one acceptance? I.e. let's say someone wants to just get in somewhere, should they rank a lower tier school as #1 to increase their odds?

Rank them how you really feel. If your #1 school doesn’t feel the same about you, the match algorithm will move down your list. There is no risk to you of ranking a more popular school high.
It is unfortunately possible to have several interviews and not match.

Reactions: 3 users

There is absolutely ZERO strategic advantage to ranking schools you are less interested in before schools you are more interested in. Rank them in the order you would want to attend them. Everyone would assume you'd attend anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users
do you think a letter of intent/update would be helpful post-II? interviewed in jan and really am hoping for a prematch!
There is guesswork another prematch is forthcoming but it is unknown at this time since there is no history for January prematches.

Does UTSW normally decide on OOS after the Texas match day? (I remember seeing one or two OOS A's in the previous wave)

@wysdoc - could you please help
OOS applicants are, and have been, eligible for offers of admission since October 15th. There is no "big wave". Offers get made after admissions committee meetings, the schedule of which are not public knowledge.
Limitation to maximum 10% OOS in the class means that later on (April and onward) when OOS folks are required to narrow down their number of admissions to 3 and then to 1, there might be some OOS people dropping their spots at UTSW.
UTSW is free to fill those dropped OOS spots with OOS, or IS, candidates from their WL.

What state are you from, @r2med?

OOS applicants are, and have been, eligible for offers of admission since October 15th. There is no "big wave". Offers get made after admissions committee meetings, the schedule of which are not public knowledge.
Limitation to maximum 10% OOS in the class means that later on (April and onward) when OOS folks are required to narrow down their number of admissions to 3 and then to 1, there might be some OOS people dropping their spots at UTSW.
UTSW is free to fill those dropped OOS spots with OOS, or IS, candidates from their WL.

What state are you from, @r2med?
Technically IS in FL.
UTSW - no word since the interview.

UTSW is known for keeping its deliberations quiet and confidential. Don’t take it personally
Thanks. Question is whether I can still have hope or not and if yes what level of hope should I hang on to. I know no one can tell for sure but can only opine based on experience and previous historical facts. Appreciate it

UTSW is known for keeping its deliberations quiet and confidential. Don’t take it personally
One would think they would call us experts for feedback. :)

• Haha
Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum and pre-matched to UTSW. I wanted to know if there’s any current students that can advise me on prerequisites.

I have everything except for the Chemistry core complete. On their website it lists that 12 hours are required, but states that 4 must be general/inorganic chemistry and 8 must be organic chemistry.

However, I have 8 hours of inorganic chemistry and 5 (2 hour lab) of organic chemistry. Do you think it’s worth emailing them to see if it would suffice? I don’t want to seem like a pain already, but I’m paying out of pocket for classes and want to know for sure. Any insight is appreciated.

Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum and pre-matched to UTSW. I wanted to know if there’s any current students that can advise me on prerequisites.

I have everything except for the Chemistry core complete. On their website it lists that 12 hours are required, but states that 4 must be general/inorganic chemistry and 8 must be organic chemistry.

However, I have 8 hours of inorganic chemistry and 5 (2 hour lab) of organic chemistry. Do you think it’s worth emailing them to see if it would suffice? I don’t want to seem like a pain already, but I’m paying out of pocket for classes and want to know for sure. Any insight is appreciated.
I think you should definitely contact the school directly. Have your transcript at hand when you contact them & let them know the hours of everything you have taken (Chemistry, Biochem, and Organic). You might be able to make up any deficits spring term.

I think you should definitely contact the school directly. Have your transcript at hand when you contact them & let them know the hours of everything you have taken (Chemistry, Biochem, and Organic). You might be able to make up any deficits spring term.
Thank you!

Anyone who has recently received ii, can you please let me know what dates were available?
is there any hope left for ii?

This may be incorrect because I don't know how often this is updated, but the national interview calendar shows that there are doing interviews tomorrow.
What is/where is the national interview calendar -- can you drop a link or point me in the right direction? Thanks o:

What is UTSW's policy on letters of intent?

Decided to withdraw and decline my A, I hope one of y’all gets this spot! Good luck everyone!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Decided to withdraw and decline my A, I hope one of y’all gets this spot! Good luck everyone!
Wow - that is nice of you to clear up a spot this early. Are you IS or OOS?

I interviewed with UTSW and loved it. My thank you notes weren't sent because of a server crashing with my email organization. Just found out about it, should I try to send the thank you notes again, but its been two weeks since the intevrire. I hope this doesn't impact their decision..

I interviewed with UTSW and loved it. My thank you notes weren't sent because of a server crashing with my email organization. Just found out about it, should I try to send the thank you notes again, but its been two weeks since the intevrire. I hope this doesn't impact their decision..
you can if you really want to, but I honestly don't think it will impact your admissions decision at all. I didn't send thank you notes and still prematched, so it's certainly not something that affects admissions

Some interesting news I came across: University Of Texas Southwestern Medical Center leases in Pegasus Park

Basically it sounds like UTSW is making a huge investment into biotech to try and compete with the East/West Coast biotech industries. I'm wondering, as someone who has an interest in working in the private biotech consulting/VC sectors in the future, would this expansion be something I could benefit from as a med student at UTSW?