2019-2020 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like a lot of people are prematching, does anyone know the percentage of ppl who prematch vs normal match in february?

From recent application cycles most people say they fill their class predominately with prematches with some waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back who interviewed on 11/2?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the curriculum is true P/F (in other words, do they have internal rankings in deans letter/AOA/quintile ranking)?
Also, are lectures mandatory or are they streamed?

I think these may have been addressed at Interview day, but I would like to know! Thx

Lectures are streamed though some things like TBL and dissections are mandatory. I would say maybe like 2x weekly you have mandatory activities after anatomy ends.

Pre-clinical grades make up a very small percentage of AOA decisions but are otherwise irrelevant. They don't go into your MSPE letter for residency/class ranking, that's all clinical grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! So then, UTSW is a true pass fail school for first 1.5 years?
also, if you know - how much time do students get for Step1 preparation? What is the culture like?

I don't think you can call it technically true pass/fail since it does factor slightly into AOA. But it's pretty close.

You get 6 weeks protected time for Step 1 preparation. What do you mean by culture...? I can't tell if that question is related to your Step 1 question lol, can you be more specific?

I interviewed there recently and the students said that preclinicals are only taken into account as tiebreakers for AOA and that the first semester has entirely no effect whatsoever

If you interviewed in October and didn’t pre-match, is it fair to say you probably won’t be receiving an offer?

If you interviewed in October and didn’t pre-match, is it fair to say you probably won’t be receiving an offer?
Not at all - UTSW does send quite a few pre-matches, but many of those students will get multiple offers and may end up matching somewhere else. Rank your interviewed schools in your true preference in January and see how the Match sorts you out.

Wondering the same. Seems like they are pre-matching high stats (above last years avg) at the moment. Also, based off last year it looked like people either pre-matched or got pulled off the waitlist!

Yes but mainly for people who are applying to competitive specialties. I know people who took gap years who were at the top of our class for dermatology and plastics just cause it’s just becoming more and more competitive every year to match as more applicants apply. But to each their own. Utsw attracts a very competitive cohort that you won’t feel during your first or second year but reveals it self during clinicals and beyond. Its personally been a privilege to be around such a high achieving group of people but it can get annoying and intimidating at times.

Why do you say its reveals itself beyond clinical and beyond? What is it about clinicals? I just here rumors about UTSW being “cutthroat”, is that what you are referring to?

Anyone have any idea how many prematches they have already sent out?// how many will they still send out??

I have great ECs (every interviewer has commented on them so far) but not the greatest stats and I prematched. So its not only about GPA/MCAT, don't lose hope!

If you don't mind sharing, can you PM me?

I have great ECs (every interviewer has commented on them so far) but not the greatest stats and I prematched. So its not only about GPA/MCAT, don't lose hope!
This is true, I have great GPA/MCAT with maybe a little above average EC'S (2 pubs, 2 year research, 200 hours shadowing, etc), but didn't get any A's yet anywhere. (Last interview I had was 10/12, which was here. had 6 interviews from august-10/12)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is true, I have great GPA/MCAT with maybe a little above average EC'S (2 pubs, 2 year research, 200 hours shadowing, etc), but didn't get any A's yet anywhere. (Last interview I had was 10/12, which was here. had 6 interviews from august-10/12)
Are all your interviews instate?

Are all your interviews instate?
Yep! only applied in Texas because I'm planning on getting married sometime once I know where I'll be, and going out of state will make things 100x more difficult. (+ IMO why pay a lot when tx has great education + tuition for residents!?)

Reactions: 2 users
Yep! only applied in Texas because I'm planning on getting married sometime once I know where I'll be, and going out of state will make things 100x more difficult. (+ IMO why pay a lot when tx has great education + tuition for residents!?)
I am surprised no one prematched you yet. I am certain you will be matched with those credentials but there will also be prematches in December.

I am surprised no one prematched you yet. I am certain you will be matched with those credentials but there will also be prematches in December.
Thank you, that's my hope! I'm trying to just be humble about it, because I've met so many great people on the interview trail that I felt that they deserved it just as much as I did, if not more. Thanks for your reassurance tho, every one counts at this point :'(

Thank you, that's my hope! I'm trying to just be humble about it, because I've met so many great people on the interview trail that I felt that they deserved it just as much as I did, if not more. Thanks for your reassurance tho, every one counts at this point :'(
Several are holding multiple admissions. They have to go down to one opening up lots of seats.

When will applicants who interviewed on the 11/23 probably start hearing back outta curiosity?

When will applicants who interviewed on the 11/23 probably start hearing back outta curiosity?

Received pre-match offer the week after my interview. You could be in a unique boat since the week after your interview was thanksgiving week. So earliest could be next week?

If I'm an OOSer interviewing next week am I interviewing for the waitlist since they do so much prematch or might I have a real shot? LM 75-76ish.

If I'm an OOSer interviewing next week am I interviewing for the waitlist since they do so much prematch or might I have a real shot? LM 75-76ish.
I am not certain they prematch a whole lot of OOSers. They will control the seats at 25 or so since only 10% are allowed. If people drop out they will admit more.

@mtrotchie

During my interview, every guy, except for one, had a full suit on during rounds. During the afternoon session, every guy, except for the handful that didn’t attend the rounds, had a full suit on.

You really aren’t given time to go back to your car. You go to lunch after the rounds. From there, you are guided to the north campus for the afternoon session, which includes boarding a shuttle. You could go back to your car at that time , but then you’ll have to find out how to get to the north campus on your own, then look for the building, then figure where the auditorium everyone is already in.
Will there be time to change before the dinner? Or did most people wear the same clothes the entire day?

Will there be time to change before the dinner? Or did most people wear the same clothes the entire day?
Most people wore the same clothes! And I personally don't think there's time to change before dinner. If I remember correctly, there's break-out sessions before dinner. I guess you could excuse yourself and go change while those happen, but there's no urgent need to change.

On my day we wore suits the whole time! Everyone was wearing suits at dinner except a few girls who were wearing nice blouses and slacks.

Out of curiosity, if they have already accepted people who have interviewed after you, do they go back and still give prematches to people who interviewed before?

Out of curiosity, if they have already accepted people who have interviewed after you, do they go back and still give prematches to people who interviewed before?
They could, and also remember you can match to any school who has interviewed you, on Match Day.

Are there any female accepted students who are pretty set on attending UTSW and would be interested in looking for a roommate?

Any august interview people out there still waiting on news?

Is there literally any hope of an interview now? I'm from Dallas and would love to be here near family. Sent them a continued letter of interest and everything.... and crickets

Any august interview people out there still waiting on news?
Yes :/
Really hoping I hear back soon! I'm OOS, not sure if that changes anything for my chances of hearing back at this point. They were already so slim to begin with haha

there is like a 20min window where you probably could, but everyone I saw just stayed in the same clothes. The vast majority were in suit/tie or women's equivalent for both clinical rounds and the afternoon program.

Was looking at last year's thread, and I got the impression that if people you interviewed with received prematch offers on a given wave, you are unlikely to get a prematch if you heard nothing back on that given wave. Does anyone know if this is true?

Edit: I just read through the previous page on this thread and found my answer, sorry for the bump

Was looking at last year's thread, and I got the impression that if people you interviewed with received prematch offers on a given wave, you are unlikely to get a prematch if you heard nothing back on that given wave. Does anyone know if this is true?

Edit: I just read through the previous page on this thread and found my answer, sorry for the bump

what’s the consensus? Are august interviewers pretty much R’ed?

Hey so since I prematched here I have been talking to an M3 that is currently at UTSW. She told me she is pretty sure that our class (C/o 2024) is not going to be true pass/fail and is going to switch to Honors/HP/P/F. Can someone confirm this? I wasnt paying attention to the curriculum presentation during the interview day. I could’ve sworn we were going to be true pass/fail too?

Hey so since I prematched here I have been talking to an M3 that is currently at UTSW. She told me she is pretty sure that our class (C/o 2024) is not going to be true pass/fail and is going to switch to Honors/HP/P/F. Can someone confirm this? I wasnt paying attention to the curriculum presentation during the interview day. I could’ve sworn we were going to be true pass/fail too?
At my interview day they told us p/f pre-clerkship and h/hp/p/f for clerkship. Did you prematch in the last few days or before that?

At my interview day they told us p/f pre-clerkship and h/hp/p/f for clerkship. Did you prematch in the last few days or before that?

I prematched late October. And thanks! She is like really confident that we are no longer going to be true p/f and is really scaring me lol but I’ll just go with what they told us on interview day.

I prematched late October. And thanks! She is like really confident that we are no longer going to be true p/f and is really scaring me lol but I’ll just go with what they told us on interview day.

She could be referring to the fact that preclinical ranks/grades will now factor into AOA. This was previously not the case as AOA was decided completely by clinical grades. Preclinical years are still p/f but not "true p/f" based on the interview q/a session.

She could be referring to the fact that preclinical ranks/grades will now factor into AOA. This was previously not the case as AOA was decided completely by clinical grades. Preclinical years are still p/f but not "true p/f" based on the interview q/a session.

No she straight up told me that she thinks we will be H/HP/P/F but I just told her our interview day said something else. Then said that its probably going to happen to a different class but not ours, although our cut off for pass will increase. IDK where she’s getting this info from but it’s a false alarm for us I guess.

What'd you find out? Interviewed in Oct and missed the wave of prematch offers, but hoping that I could still get a pre-match before end of year.

Never mind

Last edited:
Did December prematch get sent out yet?
I don't think so, I imagine someone would have said something about getting a prematch on here. Kinda gives hope, but also a little nerve wracking. I was highly expecting a wave of prematches last Friday since in previous years they were sent on Dec 12/14 respectively.

I don't think so, I imagine someone would have said something about getting a prematch on here. Kinda gives hope, but also a little nerve wracking. I was highly expecting a wave of prematches last Friday since in previous years they were sent on Dec 12/14 respectively.
With the new prematch starting day as 10/15, I'd say things are a bit more unpredictable this year... :/

are they still sending out II's?
Based on what has been announced so far, the last date is 7th January. So whether they still have open slots for that date is probably dependent on people cancelling.