2023-2024 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Wayne State has a home neurosurgery program?
They don't. Here's a list of their programs:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of juniors take a light semester when they are studying for the MCAT
Med schools won't hold it against you
so is it like pity points? I was under the impression that it didn't matter at all as long as u graduate and have ur pre reqs before marticulation.

Also I've taken 15 hour creds my first semester of this junior year, its just the second semester im only taking 4 courses is that really considered light T_T

so is it like pity points? I was under the impression that it didn't matter at all as long as u graduate and have ur pre reqs before marticulation.

Also I've taken 15 hour creds my first semester of this junior year, its just the second semester im only taking 4 courses is that really considered light T_T
What? No. Doing well in college is the goal and mastering the material. A person doesn’t need to prove how tough they are by taking a large number of hours each semester.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_3286.jpg

Accept defeat at this point?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I got my waitlist in December (the 14th to be exact), and I have sent an update/letter of intent, as well as an updated transcript. Is there anything else I can do? I really wanna go here, I just don't know what else to do. It's been a very stressful month, so any help is appreciated. Also, what are my chances of getting in? (511 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 1500 clinical hours)

So.... they filled their class already... I'm confused. How many more people will they offer admission to? MSAR says their class size is 300 unless it is wrong? My interview is in Feb. So I am interviewing for.... not a spot? lol help
they assume some people will not accept, also class sizes vary

So.... they filled their class already... I'm confused. How many more people will they offer admission to? MSAR says their class size is 300 unless it is wrong? My interview is in Feb. So I am interviewing for.... not a spot? lol help
I've heard schools usually accept around 2x or more their class size. So probably still a few more outright acceptances, and pulling from WL as people drop their A's

• Care
They don't. Here's a list of their programs:
Even though wayne doesn't have a neurosurgery program, can wayne med students still try to specialize in neurosurgery after taking steps2 and applying for residency?

Even though wayne doesn't have a neurosurgery program, can wayne med students still try to specialize in neurosurgery after taking steps2 and applying for residency?
Medical students can apply to any specialty they want. People just look for home programs for competitive specialties because it makes it easier to match.

Has anybody gotten the email for the MD admissions tour? I want to go but they gave way too little notice for touring on Jan 22 :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here know about the volunteer/service organizations at Wayne State medical school? What type of student services or clubs are at this school?

Is a February IS II a long shot for an acceptance? I know it’s rolling admission, but if we were interviewing 100% for a waitlist spot it seems like they’d say that then right?

Is a February IS II a long shot for an acceptance? I know it’s rolling admission, but if we were interviewing 100% for a waitlist spot it seems like they’d say that then right?
I mean, if they are interviewing you then you have a chance of acceptance, but given how many acceptances have already been given and how many interviewees are still waiting on decisions, it's pretty clear that chances are much lower at this point in the cycle

Henry Ford Hospital (one of our larger clinical affiliates) has a neurosurgery residency. While its dual affiliated with MSU, you'd still have the opportunity to do electives there. I also know several M4s who are applying to neurosurgery so its something that you can definitely do from Wayne State (or any other medical school).

Henry Ford Hospital (one of our larger clinical affiliates) has a neurosurgery residency. While its dual affiliated with MSU, you'd still have the opportunity to do electives there. I also know several M4s who are applying to neurosurgery so its something that you can definitely do from Wayne State (or any other medical school).
Thank you for this helpful information. 🙂
Does Henry Ford also have an orthopedic surgery residency?

Has anybody gotten the email for the MD admissions tour? I want to go but they gave way too little notice for touring on Jan 22 :/
Any idea if this tour for "admitted students" going to be different from the tour they had for the "interviewed students"? Maybe a current MD student can answer. Thanks.

Any idea if this tour for "admitted students" going to be different from the tour they had for the "interviewed students"? Maybe a current MD student can answer. Thanks.
In the past, it was the same

For any current WSUSOM students, is there any free parking near the med school that you recommend? Where do you park on campus that’s walkable from the med school? If you do paid parking, which do you recommend? Some insight on this would be appreciated

For any current WSUSOM students, is there any free parking near the med school that you recommend? Where do you park on campus that’s walkable from the med school? If you do paid parking, which do you recommend? Some insight on this would be appreciated
It's best to just get a parking pass (they send you a hangtag) and have it registered to the parking lot by Scott Hall (the med school) that way if you're ever in a pinch you can have definite parking. Its right across the street from both the med library, commons, and Scott and its right on Detroit Med Center (DMC) property so it's the most convenient. You can find more stuff here Welcome
and you can call them or email if you have specific questions about lots/where to go. Permits are a pay by semester. I did undergrad here and a MS at the SOM and its cheaper if you're going to be here 4+ times a week than paying by day. You can also load money onto your student ID (OneCard) and its like $4/day to park as a student in the lots. There's also street parking through Park Detroit but you have to feed the meter and a lot of them are only a 2 hour max.

Hey guys, I got my waitlist in December (the 14th to be exact), and I have sent an update/letter of intent, as well as an updated transcript. Is there anything else I can do? I really wanna go here, I just don't know what else to do. It's been a very stressful month, so any help is appreciated. Also, what are my chances of getting in? (511 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 1500 clinical hours)
Send an update letter. Include your activities especially any volunteer/service you’ve done since you interviewed or after submitting application. Did you send thank you letters?

Send an update letter. Include your activities especially any volunteer/service you’ve done since you interviewed or after submitting application. Did you send thank you letters?
Include ties to Michigan somehow.

I really love the school, but I already sent an update letter in November. Should I send a letter of interest?

Anyone here who did the BMS program at WSUSOM get an II or A?

Include ties to Michigan somehow.
I already sent a letter of intent (with updates), and made clear my continued community outreach. I also sent thank you letters to my interviewers. Is there anything else I can possibly do?

hey guys i am in my junior year in my second semester right now, and I am only taking 4 courses instead of 5 (so 12 credit hours instead of 15). Will that make me look bad? Will it hinder my application for med school?

has there anyone who has not completed a full load schedule and still got an II or A here?
kinda late to respond lol but I took 12 credits my second semester junior year and I got an A, I think it's a non-issue

Thank you for this helpful information. 🙂
Does Henry Ford also have an orthopedic surgery residency?
Yes they do. Here’s the link for information about their residencies: Hfh

I received an email in December from someone reaching out and saying I'd be a good fit at the school and to submit my secondary. At first glance it looked copy and pasted and I didn't even read it but after taking another look almost a month later I noticed they wrote about how they are from my family's home country (so they read my primary and my story?) and that they are waiving the secondary fee for me. I saw some people post a similar question and some people responded saying that it was a way to make more secondary money, but why would they be so personal and waive my secondary fee? Anyone else get something like this? Should I email back a month later? Should I still submit? Are there interview spots left?
what country if you dont mind me asking, just curious lol

@merandderek I have a couple questions:

1. I read that y'all have a full week off for every of the 3 exams in a block? So basically an entire week with 0 lectures or activities besides studying for the exam? Just surprised bc that's SWEET
  2. Why is the P4 exam not as stressful? Is the question content easier or is it just easier because of the fact you did 3 exams on the block before?
  3. What requires mandatory in-person attendance within the curriculum?
  4. What usually facilitates the community feel in the class, despite it being 300 students? Is it the Warrior MD Houses? I'd imagine that something specific has to help alleviate the large class feel

Also, when you get honors, it doesn't seem like it's per course - it's for the whole year?

hey is wayne state a true pass fail? I heard their grading scheme is very complicated

@merandderek I have a couple questions:

1. I read that y'all have a full week off for every of the 3 exams in a block? So basically an entire week with 0 lectures or activities besides studying for the exam? Just surprised bc that's SWEET
  2. Why is the P4 exam not as stressful? Is the question content easier or is it just easier because of the fact you did 3 exams on the block before?
  3. What requires mandatory in-person attendance within the curriculum?
  4. What usually facilitates the community feel in the class, despite it being 300 students? Is it the Warrior MD Houses? I'd imagine that something specific has to help alleviate the large class feel
P4 is moreso an ethics-based class as opposed to a hard science class. So the exam questions follow the same pattern and the concepts in the course are more intuitive. Most people find it easier because, as long as you pay attention in the sessions and to the patterns in the practice questions, you should be able to easily approach most of the questions on the exam. So you don't need to put in too much effort to pass it.

All your small group sessions have mandatory in person attendance. I highlighted them in a previous post if you scroll a bit up. The only thing that doesn't require attendance are your lectures because those are asynchronous and online.

Definitely the houses/learning communities. They put you into smaller groups and you get to work with those people for most of the year. So they make approaching a group of people and making friends less intimidating because they already did that for you for the first 5 people you will meet. From there, your group just keeps expanding as each person makes more friends. So you really feel like an intertwined community.

Yes, honors is scoring one standard deviation above the mean for the whole year. So the SD and the mean are the averages of the 3 SDs and 3 means from the three blocks. So you can't honor an individual course, just the year

Reactions: 3 users
hey is wayne state a true pass fail? I heard their grading scheme is very complicated
True pass fail. You get a grade for everything and you can honor (described in my post right above this), but on your transcript, you just see a P, F, or P* (honors)

P4 is moreso an ethics-based class as opposed to a hard science class. So the exam questions follow the same pattern and the concepts in the course are more intuitive. Most people find it easier because, as long as you pay attention in the sessions and to the patterns in the practice questions, you should be able to easily approach most of the questions on the exam. So you don't need to put in too much effort to pass it.

All your small group sessions have mandatory in person attendance. I highlighted them in a previous post if you scroll a bit up. The only thing that doesn't require attendance are your lectures because those are asynchronous and online.

Definitely the houses/learning communities. They put you into smaller groups and you get to work with those people for most of the year. So they make approaching a group of people and making friends less intimidating because they already did that for you for the first 5 people you will meet. From there, your group just keeps expanding as each person makes more friends. So you really feel like an intertwined community.

Yes, honors is scoring one standard deviation above the mean for the whole year. So the SD and the mean are the averages of the 3 SDs and 3 means from the three blocks. So you can't honor an individual course, just the year
I was wondering about their #1 as well, the week you get off after the block is that week completely class/lab free or are there still mandatory things to attend?

I was wondering about their #1 as well, the week you get off after the block is that week completely class/lab free or are there still mandatory things to attend?
Sorry, thought I answered that. It's a complete week off. You have 0 responsibilities during that week. They usually refrain from even unlocking the next block's canvas page so students don't feel pressure to start looking at the new material.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, thought I answered that. It's a complete week off. You have 0 responsibilities during that week. They usually refrain from even unlocking the next block's canvas page so students don't feel pressure to start looking at the new material.
No you're totally fine! Wow, that's really awesome of them! So aside from like official school breaks we would also get off 3 weeks during the semester basically??

No you're totally fine! Wow, that's really awesome of them! So aside from like official school breaks we would also get off 3 weeks during the semester basically??
3 weeks off spread off over the full year! So one week off at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct, 1/1.5 weeks off around Christmas, and then you have a month off in March as your "summer break" between M1 and M2. In M2, we had a week off at the end of June (this was a bit longer than a week because we didn't start again until after the fourth of July), another week off at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct., and then dedicated once you finish December exams through mid-March.

3 weeks off spread off over the full year! So one week off at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct, 1/1.5 weeks off around Christmas, and then you have a month off in March as your "summer break" between M1 and M2. In M2, we had a week off at the end of June (this was a bit longer than a week because we didn't start again until after the fourth of July), another week off at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct., and then dedicated once you finish December exams through mid-March.
Ahh got it!! So there is no summer break between M1 and M2 other than for the month of March and then we start M2 in April?

And then for M2 dedicated are we completely off from classes/labs/all that and just solely studying time from after December exams until mid March?

wayne state requries a minmum of 3 LOR and a max of 5, would it look better if i submit 5 LOR?

This is a good time to do a little research. :) We cover this in Becoming a Student Doctor.

Clue: I don't think the prompt does a great job defining "healthcare issues". A lot of issues can be loosely connected as healthcare issues. (If they struck out the word healthcare, that would be clearer. )

Message if you need to.
in becoming a student doctor? can you please elaborate?

Couple Qs:
  • I saw on a previous post that the first 3 exams in a block are in-house & the one at the end is NBME. Is the P4 exam the one that is NBME?
  • Also, would you say that in-house exams are in line enough with Step to help you become ready for it before you begin dedicated or does it bog you down into details?