2023-2024 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Ohio State Secondary Prompts

All prompts are 250 words or less.

**REQUIRED ESSAYS FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD, PRIMARY CARE TRACK, AND THE COMMUNITY MEDICINE TRACK:

1. The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas.

2. The OSU COM has a goal of assembling a class that is enriched with a broad range of unique experiences. Do you believe this is a desirable goal for a medical school's student composition? Please elaborate.

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAYS ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
3. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/pct. How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application.

4. "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career?

5. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/cmt. Please give an example of a life experience that sparked your desire to practice medicine in a smaller community and apply to the Community Medicine Track.

6. Why are you interested in training in a smaller community, and what is the impact you hope to have by training in this setting?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the prompt from last year: "Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine."

Would it be unwise to basically explain the pandemic minimally impacted me and leave it at that or would this be considered low effort? The fact that they also encourage us to share lessons and insights suggests that they want us to fill the space and discuss something at length and that this is not a very optional essay, but I could be misinterpreting things.

For the prompt from last year: "Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine."

Would it be unwise to basically explain the pandemic minimally impacted me and leave it at that or would this be considered low effort? The fact that they also encourage us to share lessons and insights suggests that they want us to fill the space and discuss something at length and that this is not a very optional essay, but I could be misinterpreting things.
If it is optional and you do not have anything to add (that would not come across as forced), you can skip it. The school may also choose to not use the prompt this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email that there is a delay in the secondary applications going out and that they are expected to come out on July 12.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email that there is a delay in the secondary applications going out and that they are expected to come out on July 12.
+1, and they said it may take up to two weeks to receive it, not sure if two weeks from today or from July 12.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking two weeks from July 12th is what it meant.

+1, OOS, just wish they'd at least send the prompts via email or upload it to their website though :confused:

I also received the email but my app hasn't been verified yet..

I never got that email- does this mean my application wasn't received? I checked my spam and everything and it's not there.

I never got that email- does this mean my application wasn't received? I checked my spam and everything and it's not there.

I didn’t either I wouldn’t stress. Had a similar experience with another school but received the secondary same time as everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please share the prompts and word counts?

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone who received the secondary able to share prompts?

+1 OOS (MSTP) received email with the OK to open my application.

**REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD, PRIMARY CARE TRACK, AND THE COMMUNITY MEDICINE TRACK:
1. The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

2. The OSU COM has a goal of assembling a class that is enriched with a broad range of unique experiences. Do you believe this is a desirable goal for a medical school's student composition? Please elaborate. (250 words or less)

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAY ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
3. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/pct. How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application. (250 words or less)

4. "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

5. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/cmt. Please give an example of a life experience that sparked your desire to practice medicine in a smaller community and apply to the Community Medicine Track. (250 words or less)

6. Why are you interested in training in a smaller community, and what is the impact you hope to have by training in this setting? (250 words or less)

@chilly_md

Reactions: 4 users
**REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD, PRIMARY CARE TRACK, AND THE COMMUNITY MEDICINE TRACK:
1. The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

2. The OSU COM has a goal of assembling a class that is enriched with a broad range of unique experiences. Do you believe this is a desirable goal for a medical school's student composition? Please elaborate. (250 words or less)

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAY ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
3. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/pct. How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application. (250 words or less)

4. "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

5. Please see our website for more information about applying to our program at medicine.osu.edu/cmt. Please give an example of a life experience that sparked your desire to practice medicine in a smaller community and apply to the Community Medicine Track. (250 words or less)

6. Why are you interested in training in a smaller community, and what is the impact you hope to have by training in this setting? (250 words or less)

@chilly_md
is there the optional Covid questions again as well?

If you received AP credit from high school, should you list your high school as an institution?

Top choice school submitted, so excited. 45 minutes after i got the secondary email haha

does anyone know why they are asking where you applied to in the past if you are a re-applicant?

If you received AP credit from high school, should you list your high school as an institution?
You will list the AP credits under the COLLEGE that gave you college credit for it. These credits will show up usually in Freshman year on your transcript.

Nothing here either. They said it could take up to two weeks for them to all go out.

Is anyone applying to the Community Medicine Track and has emailed them program coordinator/director about the specific instructions they have for us?

Secondary received just now, verified 6/01

"If you are applying to the Regular MD program and become a wait-listed candidate, would you be interested in additional considerations for the Community Medicine Track?" If we check this off as "Yes" do we need to complete the essays associated with the community medicine track?

Reactions: 1 users
"If you are applying to the Regular MD program and become a wait-listed candidate, would you be interested in additional considerations for the Community Medicine Track?" If we check this off as "Yes" do we need to complete the essays associated with the community medicine track?
I didn't- no idea if it was the right move or not but since I'm not technically "applying" to the track I decided not to do the essays (since they're required for applicants "applying")

What did you end up doing? I'm debating whether or not to complete those questions.

What did you end up doing? I'm debating whether or not to complete those questions.
I ended up not checking the community box off and said "No". But there was someone else who replied saying they didn't write the essays because that's not the track they're applying to directly (#41).

For the first prompt, could someone further explain OSU's intended meaning of "medical education"? I can see two different interpretations:
1. Education in the context of medical students or residents (e.g. academic medicine)
2. A more general sense of medical education (e.g. educating the public and patients on medical topics)

Perhaps, the choice in interpretation is left to me as the applicant. I am just a bit curious as to if there is a well-established definition.

P.S. I searched their site and couldn't find any concrete details/examples of what they mean by "education". Please feel free to respond with examples if you are aware of any.

Reactions: 2 users
Where can we find our application status after submitting?
They should send you a link to creating a Vital portal a few days after submitting. The status is in there.

Can we talk about how the essay text boxes on OSU's secondary portal are literally like an inch wide.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone still not received a secondary?
did you add your LORs? I didn’t receive a secondary until I realized I forgot to add my LORs to AMCAS and then received it within 2 days (which could have been just a coincidence)

For the first prompt, could someone further explain OSU's intended meaning of "medical education"? I can see two different interpretations:
1. Education in the context of medical students or residents (e.g. academic medicine)
2. A more general sense of medical education (e.g. educating the public and patients on medical topics)

Perhaps, the choice in interpretation is left to me as the applicant. I am just a bit curious as to if there is a well-established definition.

P.S. I searched their site and couldn't find any concrete details/examples of what they mean by "education". Please feel free to respond with examples if you are aware of any.
I am also struggling with interpreting "medical education." I am tempted to just work with research and patient care.

I didn't- no idea if it was the right move or not but since I'm not technically "applying" to the track I decided not to do the essays (since they're required for applicants "applying")
This is what im thinkin as well