Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still can't bump old threads. I dunno what the age cut-off is, maybe 6 months and older cannot be bumped.
Still can't bump.

Thanks, i tried bumping a 2+ year old thread in Lounge and didn't work @WildWing

bump.jpg

I think a warning box is much better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oops! We ran into some problems.
It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.

Getting the same error if I try to necrobump an old enough thread. (My experiment was Surgeon's hands which seems to be the oldest thread I can find in pre-MD just to see if it worked. There's a few from Jan 1999 in pre-DO, but I can't find any of the truly "oldest" SDN threads anymore)

Getting the same error if I try to necrobump an old enough thread. (My experiment was Surgeon's hands which seems to be the oldest thread I can find in pre-MD just to see if it worked. There's a few from Jan 1999 in pre-DO, but I can't find any of the truly "oldest" SDN threads anymore)

Yeah the bumping error still persists. Additionally, military banners remain hardly visible in Basic Mode. Page numbers remain condensed (i.e. Page 1 of 9 in this thread) and only appears in bottom of this thread. No Save Draft button in mobile for Basic Mode. Also hoping for a dark mode version of Basic Mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are some screen shots. Two are the unread watched thread list, showing only prevet, even though I also watch lounge and vet. Lounge definitely has recent posts as you can see in my watched threads list screen shot. You can compare times. You can see the meme thread and chillin' thread are unread (even though the GD bold issue hasn't been fixed) and do not list in the unread watched list at all. Only prevet is in there.

Just wanted to check again, but does this issue still persist for prevet forums?

Here are some screen shots. Two are the unread watched thread list, showing only prevet, even though I also watch lounge and vet. Lounge definitely has recent posts as you can see in my watched threads list screen shot. You can compare times. You can see the meme thread and chillin' thread are unread (even though the GD bold issue hasn't been fixed) and do not list in the unread watched list at all. Only prevet is in there.
1. Weird - I never got notification that you replied.

2. Your screenshots weren't what you initially described here. In other words, this:
But I'm watching the lounge, and I don't get all of the unread lounge threads, only the ones I'm watching. This issue is exclusive to pre-vet for me
describes something different than:

Can't conflate the "Unread Watched Thread" link (which doesn't work in this version of the forum software), with the properly working "Watched Threads" list. If you hover over the "eye" icon in the former, you'll see that it says, "Forum watched," which explains why it's simply dumping all unread threads in a watched forum instead of what we want: unread watched threads regardless of whether we are watching the forum or not.

Forum owners will simply have to place pressure on developers to re-introduce this ability. Or buy that paid add-on or do their own custom work.

It sucks, I agree, and I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing: just a list of unread threads in watched forum Pre-Vet.

Just wanted to check again, but does this issue still persist for prevet forums?
Yes. I have abandoned the unread, watched list and am back to the watched thread list and just dealing with the fact that the bolding is so hard to read. Clearly I am not enough of an influencer to change anything lol

1. Weird - I never got notification that you replied.

2. Your screenshots weren't what you initially described here. In other words, this:

describes something different than:

Can't conflate the "Unread Watched Thread" link (which doesn't work in this version of the forum software), with the properly working "Watched Threads" list. If you hover over the "eye" icon in the former, you'll see that it says, "Forum watched," which explains why it's simply dumping all unread threads in a watched forum instead of what we want: unread watched threads regardless of whether we are watching the forum or not.

Forum owners will simply have to place pressure on developers to re-introduce this ability. Or buy that paid add-on or do their own custom work.

It sucks, I agree, and I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing: just a list of unread threads in watched forum Pre-Vet.
But I'm watching the lounge forum and none of those are on the list at all, not even the threads I watch.

Yes. I have abandoned the unread, watched list and am back to the watched thread list and just dealing with the fact that the bolding is so hard to read. Clearly I am not enough of an influencer to change anything lol

Switch to basic mode!

Also the changes suggested didn't happen yet either so we're kinda stuck :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Any update on if we're going to get page numbers or at least a next page/previous page button at the top of the thread?

I'm on mobile (not the stupid SDN app) using basic style.....there's no page number or a next/previous page button.

But I'm watching the lounge forum and none of those are on the list at all, not even the threads I watch.
I don't have access to the code, so I don't know how the database query is done behind the scenes. Point is, we're not going to see expected behavior since the feature was removed. I speculate that the database query simply returns a bunch of posts from the first watched forum up to the 2 page limit or something. Either way, it's an exercise in insanity to try to figure out something that is known to be broken. The "Unread Watched Threads" is a misnomer so probably shouldn't be used. No idea if there's a suitable workaround at this point. I personally just use the "Watched Forums" list and click on each forum to see what's new at the top. Or if there's a WW game, for instance, then bookmark that thread in the browser until the game is over.

I'm unable to do reliable searching -- getting a lot of "No results" when I know the keywords in the threads and thread titles exist. Wonder if a re-index of the database is necessary post-upgrade?

I'm unable to do reliable searching -- getting a lot of "No results" when I know the keywords in the threads and thread titles exist. Wonder if a re-index of the database is necessary post-upgrade?
I had this same issue getting the broke my pubic bone thread (had to scroll through pages of the lounge to get to it because search claimed no results)

Hi @WildWing a couple of suggestions/bug fixes:

1. Could you add a down arrow for Basic style for quick page navigation? There's currently only the up arrow and the other styles have both up and down arrows.

2. On desktop, page numbers appear on top and bottom of threads like this:

View attachment 256953

But in mobile, page numbers only appear in bottom of thread that looks more condensed (e.g. Page 1 of 8). Could you customize the mobile webpage settings to match the desktop's as above?

Thanks
Thanks, i tried bumping a 2+ year old thread in Lounge and didn't work @WildWing

View attachment 257503

Small bump :ninja:

Also 2+ year member badge isn't there. Save button is missing in mobile browser. Not sure if @StayingPositive2017 still has problems with unread watched threads. Search button should be added for SDN default and dark modes on mobile browsing.

Sorry for being repetitive but still having a lot of issues :(

I'd still like to see how many messages are still unread beside the next page button at the bottom of a thread like we had before. Is that possible?

@WildWing I’m still getting kicked off the mobile app on iPhone. It’s my primary way to use sdn (in between cases etc) to answer questions and mentor etc, so this is really sad... i get the login screen but can’t log in. Then I “go back” and seem to be okay but then get the same kick out back to login.

Hi all! We are pleased to welcome you to the updated version of the Student Doctor Network forums and website! Please let us know if you see any issues by logging them in this thread.

I realized I hadn’t seen any threads of certain types in my feed for a while, so I manually went to those forums and now it seems the threads don’t show up for me at all since the forum upgrade.

Like “general residency issues”. I even tried “watching” it to see if that would trigger something but nada.

BBCFAEB2-DEDC-4BBB-A4D5-56AD72D85539.jpeg

I realized I hadn’t seen any threads of certain types in my feed for a while, so I manually went to those forums and now it seems the threads don’t show up for me at all since the forum upgrade.

Like “general residency issues”. I even tried “watching” it to see if that would trigger something but nada.

View attachment 258141

Now I see it’s because it was inadvertently left off the topics list I selected when trying to make my “new posts feed”, so apparently that means you can’t even see the forum threads manually if you don’t check it off there. And if I forget one, and try to just check that to add it, it deletes all my other selections in that list. So then inevitably I forget to select a different one when trying to add general residency issues. Can we pleaseseeeeeee:

1. Get an ignore forum option
2. Get an ignore thread option
3. Get page numbers at the top as well
4. Get a down arrow to go to the bottom of the page like the up arrow

Please please please

View attachment 258141

I am seeing notification/watched thread issues in the mobile app, but not in the mobile views on browser. Has anyone else seen this issue? What is your OS and browser?

Last edited:
@WildWing I’m still getting kicked off the mobile app on iPhone. It’s my primary way to use sdn (in between cases etc) to answer questions and mentor etc, so this is really sad... i get the login screen but can’t log in. Then I “go back” and seem to be okay but then get the same kick out back to login.

Please try deleting the app and re-downloading it.

I had this same issue getting the broke my pubic bone thread (had to scroll through pages of the lounge to get to it because search claimed no results)

The original thread is about the 15th result (probably because it is old), but I was able to find it using "broke my pubic bone" as the search term:

Are you not seeing search results from that link?

The original thread is about the 15th result (probably because it is old), but I was able to find it using "broke my pubic bone" as the search term:

Are you not seeing search results from that link?
I see it in your link and when I reran my original query that had zero results now there are results. So you guys fixed something I guess. I promise I ran it the same as before when I got el zilcho.

View attachment 257503

There was a change to how the "bump old threads" function works so that it prevents rather than warns. We've increased the threshold so it shouldn't catch as often.

User information - registration date, number of posts, number of reactions - has been added to Basic view. I have captured an item to update SDN/SDN Dark to make having this rolled out a preference setting (i.e., once you roll it out, it rolls out for everyone and stays that way).

User information - registration date, number of posts, number of reactions - has been added to Basic view. I have captured an item to update SDN/SDN Dark to make having this rolled out a preference setting (i.e., once you roll it out, it rolls out for everyone and stays that way).
Awesome. We're almost back to my preferred view. Just need to make the background baby blue.

Outstanding Request List

I have gone back through the list of comments and developed the attached list of requested changes. Anywhere I have been able to make a change from the system interface, I have tried to do that. Are there any other items that I have missed?

1. Add page numbers to top of mobile pages in Basic
  2. Add down arrow to go to the bottom of the page in mobile Basic
  3. Add Ignore Forum and Ignore Thread options
  4. Add number of messages still unread beside Next Page button
  5. Add Search icon to header for SDN/SDN Dark/Basic mobile view to allow access to full search options
  6. Provide “Unread watched threads” option (removed in XF2)
  7. Display user information without rollout (potentially make option) in SDN/SDN Dark
  8. Provide ability to collapse forums in Basic theme.
  9. Increase avatar size on desktop in SDN/SDN Dark
These currently are not in any order.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
There used to be a way to view gender of the account when you clicked their name (if enabled by the account). I am not able to find how to do that (I am using basic theme).

Outstanding Request List

I have gone back through the list of comments and developed the attached list of requested changes. Anywhere I have been able to make a change from the system interface, I have tried to do that. Are there any other items that I have missed?

5. Add Search icon to header for SDN/SDN Dark/Basic mobile view to allow access to full search options
  7. Display user information without rollout (potentially make option) in SDN/SDN Dark

And if possible, add a dark mode version for Basic style :bag::sorry:

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated

Outstanding Request List

I believe there was also a request to make unread threads more distinguishable from read threads in SDN Dark mode since the bold was too subtle but I'm not sure if that got addressed already.

I see it in your link and when I reran my original query that had zero results now there are results. So you guys fixed something I guess. I promise I ran it the same as before when I got el zilcho.
Same. I've seen an improvement (back to normal) in search results. Maybe the software runs a db re-index every x hours/days/whatever, but searching definitely was wonky the day or so after the upgrade.

Last edited:
Are there any other items that I have missed?
Can we add more to your plate? (sorry :) )

Totally just a wish and personal preference, but the "go to top of page" and "go to bottom of page" buttons are side-by-side:

top-bottom-arrows.PNG

It takes an extra bit of thought (an extra 1/8 of a second, gasp!) to understand which one means top vs. bottom via looking at the arrows. My thought is these would be more second-nature and intuitive if they were one on top of the other.

So something like this in my humble opinion would be better:

top-bottom-arrows2.PNG

Last edited:
Outstanding Request List

Btw there isn't a down arrow to go bottom of the page in desktop Basic