Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bring the old style back! Or at least give us the option to revert to that layout. The new site 1) keeps logging me out 2) does not let me search within threads 3) looks too busy and hard on the eyes 4) makes it difficult to see user details and which threads I've already seen. Old site worked perfectly well, not sure why they had to "fix" something that was not broke.

Edit: basic mode seems to work and look better like the old style, but I cannot see join dates and other users' details.

Basic mode is by far the best and pretty much the style i recommend using. The other styles are painful for me :(

The stuff on join dates/user details have been mentioned and i think they'll be updated soon.

Members don't see this ad.

The new site 1) keeps logging me out
Interesting. Have you cleared your cookies since Monday/last week? Issues staying logged in are session-related, which are often cookie-related. It's been fine for me, so I hope this clears up for you.

Old site worked perfectly well, not sure why they had to "fix" something that was not broke.
3rd person who's brought this up in this thread. Wasn't "broken" per se, but we were on version 1.5(?) or so of the forum software, which will no longer be supported by the end of May. Version 2 was a major upgrade and a necessity to keep the platform current, secure, and stable for future growth. The unfortunate side effect, as everyone has seen, is that the styles/themes from the old version don't directly carry through to the next major version so have to be re-done. The good news is that it seems there is flexibility in customizing the look and feel and themes and some of the navigation, so it's just a matter of time and what the volunteer team/admins decide on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going through the thread and capturing the comments.

One question on the menu on mobile, which rolls down when you click the three lines in the upper left corner of the page: What are the most important links to include, in your opinion (ie watched threads, members, etc)? It is easily customizable by toggle switches but if we include too many options that menu requires vertical scrolling.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a huge fan of the update but it’s not the worst ever. The main annoyance to me is the removal of user information on the side of the post. Count me in as someone who likes seeing things like status, post count, etc. It’s not like I can’t use SDN without it, I just don’t know who I’m replying to when I post.

The layout itself is a little compact and it’d be nice if things had a bit more space. I use an ultra wide monitor at home and the current layout leaves a ton of empty space on the screen.

Notifications via Tapatalk seem quite delayed or absent altogether.

There is no easy way to see if a thread has new posts since your last view while browsing a subforum. This is incredibly stupid and makes a significant difference in the ability to use this forum. The old version just had a simple blue dot next to the thread title and clicking it OR the thread would take you to the latest post. Now you have no idea if there has been a new post unless you know that SOandSO posted at 11:47 on Monday when you last looked and that changed on the far right. Perhaps I am missing a a tweak to my user preferences?

I understand the need to change and that there are growing pains but honestly this "upgrade" was absolutely a net negative and looks like garbage.

Edit: looks like changing to basic view helped make threads with new posts discernible with a bolded title. So that's one thing. Hopefully clearing cookies will help fix the other stuff even though I have done it once.

Dumb question or maybe a bug: is there a drop down bar on search bar on mobile? I’m not seeing it. So currently can’t search posts by member
There is in basic mode, but originally there wasn’t in the “default” mode. Not sure if it’s been fixed or not (doubt it), but basic mode has it (and also looks nicer than “default”)

There is no easy way to see if a thread has new posts since your last view while browsing a subforum. This is incredibly stupid and makes a significant difference in the ability to use this forum. The old version just had a simple blue dot next to the thread title and clicking it OR the thread would take you to the latest post. Now you have no idea if there has been a new post unless you know that SOandSO posted at 11:47 on Monday when you last looked and that changed on the far right. Perhaps I am missing a a tweak to my user preferences?

I understand the need to change and that there are growing pains but honestly this "upgrade" was absolutely a net negative and looks like garbage.

Edit: looks like changing to basic view helped make threads with new posts discernible with a bolded title. So that's one thing. Hopefully clearing cookies will help fix the other stuff even though I have done it once.

Yeah the Basic mode resolves a lot of things. Personally i urge the staff to remove the other two styles because they are practically unusable and just add a Night Mode to Basic. Maybe add another style that's Basic but customized to look similar to a previous SDN style like coffee or old blue or whatever

Yeah the Basic mode resolves a lot of things. Personally i urge the staff to remove the other two styles because they are practically unusable and just add a Night Mode to Basic. Maybe add another style that's Basic but customized to look similar to a previous SDN style like coffee or old blue or whatever
Agreed. I was on night mode so I had issues.

Hi @WildWing a couple of suggestions/bug fixes:

1. Could you add a down arrow for Basic style for quick page navigation? There's currently only the up arrow and the other styles have both up and down arrows.

2. On desktop, page numbers appear on top and bottom of threads like this:

Picture.jpg

But in mobile, page numbers only appear in bottom of thread that looks more condensed (e.g. Page 1 of 8). Could you customize the mobile webpage settings to match the desktop's as above?

Thanks

Reactions: 4 users
Oh man can we get the auto-complete function back for searching by member? You used to be able to type some of the letters of their name but now (at least in basic on mobile browser) you have to know their whole username exactly

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd still like to have back the option of being able to bump old threads with the warning box like we had before. Totally banning all bumping is not a good solution. I feel like the prior option was the best possible option.

Also noticed that it doesn't give a blurb about how many posts left to read at the next page button like in prior styles. Can that be added?

Reactions: 3 users
I'd still like to have back the option of being able to bump old threads with the warning box like we had before. Totally banning all bumping is not a good solution. I feel like the prior option was the best possible option.

I dont disagree but help me understand. Why bump? Why not create a new thread asking the question and refer to the old thread as needed?

• Angry
I dont disagree but help me understand. Why bump? Why not create a new thread asking the question and refer to the old thread as needed?
Because why do we need a 6th thread about stethoscopes or laptops instead of just continuing the old thread and asking the people in there for advice? If it’s the same question or a related question I don’t get why we need ANOTHER new thread to answer it.
There’s tons of things in just pre-vet that could’ve just bumped an old thread instead of making a new one on the same topic. You’ll also get all those people who originally responded to get a notification bump (assuming they still watch the thread) and they can help answer any further questions too.

Giving an update for something that took time (whether that be an op who asked a question letting people know what they did and how it turned out, or if it is an event that occurred that now has new info from an investigation or a verdict from a pending case). The people who had posted in that thread might be interested in the update and wouldn't necessarily see a new thread posted about it.

Reviving classic funny stuff (ok this might be more lounge specific since occasionally bumping the I broke my pubic bone thread is funnier than making a new post about it but maybe there are similar things in the other subforums)

Probably some other reasons I can't think of too.

Sometimes the old thread is more appropriate than making a new one. This probably falls more in with the Lounge and SPF than the other forums. I do remember Jalby's thread would often get bumped though and that did become an epic thread until it was locked.

Yes, most old threads don't need to be bumped, but making someone actively think if they really need to bump or not would be useful in stopping most of the useless bumps. There are some threads that just need it, though.

mqZbDwz.gif

Reactions: 2 users
For the exactly reasons @SkiOtter and @dpmd said...
...but also, nobody can get on their morally superior high horse to newbies about using the search function, if it's essentially become useless.

I'm not opposed to locking down threads that were last replied to, say, 5+ years ago. But for people searching, threads from a couple years ago often still have relevant useful information, and the only thing somebody needs answered after reading it is about one or two minor details, or an update from the OP. Keeping all that corralled in a single thread, rather than having a single frequent question spawn dozens of threads with the same inquiry is better for everyone.

For the exactly reasons @SkiOtter and @dpmd said...
...but also, nobody can get on their morally superior high horse to newbies about using the search function, if it's essentially become useless.

I'm not opposed to locking down threads that were last replied to, say, 5+ years ago. But for people searching, threads from a couple years ago often still have relevant useful information, and the only thing somebody needs answered after reading it is about one or two minor details, or an update from the OP. Keeping all that corralled in a single thread, rather than having a single frequent question spawn dozens of threads with the same inquiry is better for everyone.
Also, when people ask the same question over and over in new threads, at least a quarter of all the responses are basically...

Being able to bump an older (but not ancient) thread would help eliminate a lot of that noise.

Attachments

• 1554686859644.png
    1554686859644.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 64
Also, when people ask the same question over and over in new threads, at least a quarter of all the responses are basically...

Being able to bump an older (but not ancient) thread would help eliminate a lot of that noise.

Nice gif :cool:

Okay makes sense. I liked that warning box too but was just curious regarding the pros/cons of bumping vs creating new threads. If someone makes a new thread, people complain about not using search function. If people bump an old thread, people complain about necrobumping. There's always a critic so having a warning box is a good measure.

Okay makes sense. I liked that warning box too but was just curious regarding the pros/cons of bumping vs creating new threads. If someone makes a new thread, people complain about not using search function. If people bump an old thread, people complain about necrobumping. There's always a critic so having a warning box is a good measure.

Except there is a difference between useless "I agree" necrobumping and bumping either a thread directly related to the issue or in the case of the Lounge, usually something humorous.

Besides, if you add a bruh reaction, that could help, though I'll want royalties for each use.

Reactions: 5 users
Somebody made it years ago because of exactly this issue and I have merely resurrected it from the depths of the internet because it is relevant again and perfectly fits the situation which I wish to address ;)

I can think of two threads off the top of my head that I've bumped with an update to a legal issue - often proceedings take >1year to be resolved in the courts. Also I love it when OPs update after they have resolved their issues/lost appeal/etc.

Reactions: 6 users
Is there any plan to bring back the "Ignore forum" feature?

I know its a small thing, but I don't love having to scrolls past the numerous forums that don't have anything to do with me, my interests, or my knowledge. Dental, psychology, various therapies, physician scientist, vet... you get the idea.

Is there any plan to bring back the "Ignore forum" feature?

I know its a small thing, but I don't love having to scrolls past the numerous forums that don't have anything to do with me, my interests, or my knowledge. Dental, psychology, various therapies, physician scientist, vet... you get the idea.
FWIW, I just bookmark the "Watched Forums" page and only ever visit that page. Even easier that way honestly.

Except there is a difference between useless "I agree" necrobumping and bumping either a thread directly related to the issue or in the case of the Lounge, usually something humorous.

Besides, if you add a bruh reaction, that could help, though I'll want royalties for each use.
Somebody made it years ago because of exactly this issue and I have merely resurrected it from the depths of the internet because it is relevant again and perfectly fits the situation which I wish to address ;)
I can think of two threads off the top of my head that I've bumped with an update to a legal issue - often proceedings take >1year to be resolved in the courts. Also I love it when OPs update after they have resolved their issues/lost appeal/etc.
Giving an update for something that took time (whether that be an op who asked a question letting people know what they did and how it turned out, or if it is an event that occurred that now has new info from an investigation or a verdict from a pending case). The people who had posted in that thread might be interested in the update and wouldn't necessarily see a new thread posted about it.

Reviving classic funny stuff (ok this might be more lounge specific since occasionally bumping the I broke my pubic bone thread is funnier than making a new post about it but maybe there are similar things in the other subforums)

Probably some other reasons I can't think of too.
Because why do we need a 6th thread about stethoscopes or laptops instead of just continuing the old thread and asking the people in there for advice? If it’s the same question or a related question I don’t get why we need ANOTHER new thread to answer it.
There’s tons of things in just pre-vet that could’ve just bumped an old thread instead of making a new one on the same topic. You’ll also get all those people who originally responded to get a notification bump (assuming they still watch the thread) and they can help answer any further questions too.

Could you guys check if you're now able to respond to old threads? I just checked some several old threads (5+ years old) and they're open for reply. No warning box seen.

Not encouraging necrobumping but just wanted to know if it's true on your end as well.

Could you guys check if you're now able to respond to old threads? I just checked some several old threads (5+ years old) and they're open for reply. No warning box seen.

Not encouraging necrobumping but just wanted to know if it's true on your end as well.
Seems like it

This still doesn't work for me, when I watch a forum now, every single thread is in my unread watched list. This is not how it was prior to upgrade. @Lawper @WildWing

That's strange because when I used a Watch Forum feature on a test forum (e.g. preallo), only the unread threads were listed in Unread Watched Threads :confused:

pic1.jpg

Are you using Basic style?

EDIT: I used Watch Forum > Send notifications for new messages

Dark. I tried to refollow pre vet and it all populated to my list again
@Lawper just tried again and same thing it adds every thread to my unread list

I used Dark Mode and no threads showed up in prevet when I watched it :confused:

In the Unread Watched Threads, only the Unread Threads and Watched Content were checked right?

test.jpg

If it is and all threads still show up, there's probably a glitch somewhere @WildWing

I used Dark Mode and no threads showed up in prevet when I watched it :confused:

In the Unread Watched Threads, only the Unread Threads and Watched Content were checked right?

If it is and all threads still show up, there's probably a glitch somewhere @WildWing
Correct. In the prevet forum, only my watched threads have an eye icon. But whenever someone updates any thread in pre vet,, it shows up in my unread watched list with an eye icon. If I go to the thread itself, I can't unwatch it as I'm not watching it in the first place.

15547735225131513301342.jpg
15547735787662062182451.jpg

For example, I'm not watching the Tennessee thread, but it just popped on to my list because it was updated. When I go to prevet, you can see it's not a watched thread. Sorry about the glare

source.gif

Thank God, because I was hoping to bump the hawt chicks thread yesterday and was really disappointed when I couldn't

This still doesn't work for me, when I watch a forum now, every single thread is in my unread watched list. This is not how it was prior to upgrade. @Lawper @WildWing
I posted about this last week after the upgrade (see below). I'm not sure it's possible out-of-the-box to show the watched threads that are unread. I said that the forum software developers need to be reminded that removing this feature is annoying to many people in many forums and need to be pressured to re-add it out-of-the-box.

@WildWing, from this thread: Watched Threads - No option to view only unread Watched threads. it looks like they nixed the direct link to show unread watched threads... but that's as of January 2019, so I dunno if they re-added it.

Also from that thread, someone made a paid add-on that's $25 up-front + $15 annual renewal fee: Watched Thread Filtering

Yuck. I'll continue seeing if there's any filtering option that's exposed, at least what I can see as a user.

Edit: Last post is from March 25, 2019, saying a lot of members are bummed about this, so it's possibly still not re-added.

Edit 2: This post from XF Mike allows users to "Filter" and then "Save as Default":

191724-d0f0d666f414c95081fba94a3d513272.jpg

Edit 3: OK, Mike's suggested workaround of using the Filter doesn't even work. Watched means "Watched Forum" rather than "Watched Threads." :smack: So setting the filters like shown in that screenshot only shows unread threads in every forum I'm watching.

-------------------

Edit 4: OK, here's what I think. I think this is something that XF Developers need to address, since -- looking at the Filter screenshot that XF Mike posted above -- that Filter UI is available in both the What's New --> New Threads and What's New --> New Posts.

Specifically, what I'd like to see the developers carve out is the Filter checkbox for "Watched Content."

• Current behavior: It's defined as any content in a forum that I watch. This is silly and gives me thousands of threads.
  • Expected behavior: Create two options: "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums" that are more granular/specific so we the users can specify exactly what we want and also so the filter can be set in the URL by forum admins. In other words, when I click "Unread Watched Threads," I expect to see exactly that, watched threads that are unread. Not a list of all threads in all watched forums, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

I almost want to create a XF forum account (been meaning to anyways as a prospective customer) just so I can suggest this to the development team. Seems very straightforward to code, since it just seems like basic database querying and filtering/sorting. Nothing "new" that needs to really be done.

I posted about this last week after the upgrade (see below). I'm not sure it's possible out-of-the-box to show the watched threads that are unread. I said that the forum software developers need to be reminded that removing this feature is annoying to many people in many forums and need to be pressured to re-add it out-of-the-box.
But I'm watching the lounge, and I don't get all of the unread lounge threads, only the ones I'm watching. This issue is exclusive to pre-vet for me

But I'm watching the lounge, and I don't get all of the unread lounge threads, only the ones I'm watching. This issue is exclusive to pre-vet for me
What you're describing doesn't make sense, since XF 2.x removed the ability to see unread watched threads. Would you be willing to post a screenshot? If you hover over the "eye" icon, it says the thread is listed because it's in a Watched Forum, not because it's a Watched Thread.

For instance, I'm watching both Lounge and Pre-vet, and when I click it, all I get is 2 pages of unread Pre-vet threads, and that's all the list shows: A list of all unread threads in watched forums. I guess it caps out at 2 pages of results.

I don't know if any forum admins can fix this functionality without that paid add-on or custom work. What needs to happen is the developers need to expose the filtering by watched threads, not simply watched forums like it currently is.

Last edited:
What you're describing doesn't make sense, since XF 2.x removed the ability to see unread watched threads. Would you be willing to post a screenshot? If you hover over the "eye" icon, it says the thread is listed because it's in a Watched Forum, not because it's a Watched Thread.

For instance, I'm watching both Lounge and Pre-vet, and when I click it, all I get is 2 pages of unread Pre-vet threads, and that's all the list shows: A list of all unread threads in watched forums. I guess it caps out at 2 pages of results.

I don't know if any forum admins can fix this functionality without that paid add-on or custom work. What needs to happen is the developers need to expose the filtering by watched threads, not simply watched forums like it currently is.
Here are some screen shots. Two are the unread watched thread list, showing only prevet, even though I also watch lounge and vet. Lounge definitely has recent posts as you can see in my watched threads list screen shot. You can compare times. You can see the meme thread and chillin' thread are unread (even though the GD bold issue hasn't been fixed) and do not list in the unread watched list at all. Only prevet is in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-121217.png
    Screenshot_20190409-121217.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20190409-121211.png
    Screenshot_20190409-121211.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20190409-121019.png
    Screenshot_20190409-121019.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 59

Still can't bump.

Can confirm that bumping is broken again. It worked yesterday, but again broken with the pop-up message.