Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, @WildWing I like the redesign!

Commenting on the "unread threads" issue, with this new website design I click on the bell shape (alerts). The alerts list out all new posts on my watched threads. I have it set up that way in my settings, and I just get alerts but not emails every time something posts in my watched threads.

Using it this way is just as easy as having an "unread watched threads" button.
Only works if you read every unread watched thread every time. If you want to go back later and remember which threads you still hadn't looked at, the alerts been cleared. The old unread watched threads view made it much easier.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Still can't login with facebook

Also the site is unusable on mobile. Google Chrome on Android Oreo 8.0.0. Can't scroll and the page just freezes continuously.

Not a hater just reporting bugs... Ya'll are being way too dramatic. It's just something new, you'll adapt in no time.
Facebook link is repaired.

Yes, I'm very aware of when it happened. Very aware it wasn't with this update. Doesn't mean I can't point out how awful it looks and how it drags you through some random maze of sub-forums, other threads, other forums (hSDN), etc before you even get to the main pre-vet forum.

Why not point it out? Who cares when it was changed?
Site does not retain subforum hide choices like it used to. I Like to leave everything except the med student and specialty sections expanded to save me time from scrolling through the eyechart.

Also, I am not being automatically logged in.

Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
on MacOS 10.14.4.

Lastly, second all the other beefs about the new look. There was nothing wrong with the site last week or the week before or the year before. You should have just left well enough alone. Fix it till it's broke I guess.

Here's a link for a fix for this. It would need to be installed by @WildWing.

Collapsible Node Categories

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay logged in is also not working for me.

Can you stop the stupid thing from asking me if I want "push notifications"? I have told it 7 times "no" to push notification and then "do not ask again" ..... yet, I keep being asked if I want damn push notifications about the stupid pop-up articles. I don't. Getting old telling it no a bunch of times and it not taking it.

Stay logged in is also not working for me.

Can you stop the stupid thing from asking me if I want "push notifications"? I have told it 7 times "no" to push notification and then "do not ask again" ..... yet, I keep being asked if I want damn push notifications about the stupid pop-up articles. I don't. Getting old telling it no a bunch of times and it not taking it.
Eventually it gave me the option of "never ask again". But it was in small text in a different color or something.

@WildWing when I copy an image and paste it directly into this message box, the image automatically gets converted into an attachment. This is a problem when uploading animated gifs on here since they lose their animation. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Prior to the update, I just used the following:

Code:
[IMG]Image url[/IMG]

Will this still work?

Few additional questions/suggestions:

1. Prior to the update, when I received a new PM, I was able to see both the sender name and time of the most recent message received. Now I only see the time of most recent message but no sender name. Is it possible to update this feature to include it? It'd be particularly helpful for multiparty PM groups.

2. The military banners are green lines that look compressed in Basic style. Would help to expand that further to make them more readable. Also some members have several year banners but I think only one would suffice. Making members' messages, likes, status etc. more visible without having to hover/click their name would help.

3. Prior to the update, I was able to see my profile picture and messages/likes etc in a small box on the top right corner in the forum list (above Members Online info). Would be helpful to re-add this feature here.

4. There also used to be a More Options setting in the message box where I can navigate to a more detailed webpage to type and proofread my message before submitting (as opposed to the current Quick Reply feature). I don't see that here. Would be helpful to include it if possible.

5. I couldn't find the Members link on the Forum List. Was it removed?

Thanks for your help

Reactions: 1 user
@WildWing when I copy an image and paste it directly into this message box, the image automatically gets converted into an attachment. This is a problem when uploading animated gifs on here since they lose their animation. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Prior to the update, I just used the following:

Code:
[IMG]Image url[/IMG]

Will this still work?
If you copy a url and click the landscape by the smiley face and paste the link in there it should work
giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s it. It’s time to just throw the whole update away

Was trying to paste that here. Failed. Tried uploading it. Said it was too large after spending each second trying to reach 100% :confused:

EDIT: apparently giphy involves just pasting the link here rather than uploading them as an image

• Love
Hi all! We are pleased to welcome you to the updated version of the Student Doctor Network forums and website! Please let us know if you see any issues by logging them in this thread.

I can’t find an option to “ignore forums” and I think forums I’ve been ignoring are now showing up in the new posts feed. (The ones that I selected not to and previously did not).

Edit: never mind. I found the thing to positively select the forums in my new posts feed so I used that and it is functionally the same. I may even like it better.

Last edited:
EDIT: apparently giphy involves just pasting the link here rather than uploading them as an image
Check out the "Embedded Media" section on this page: BB codes

There's a large list of News, Video, and Image hosting sites (including Giphy) that auto-embed and basically handle things differently than every other site, so that may explain some of the behavior you're seeing.

hi guys! the new update's exciting!! i like a lot of things about it especially as I continue to figure it out, and i can tell that you all put a ton of work into it, so thank you for thinking of us and working to improve our experience on this awesome forum!!
something that i did really like before that is gone now is the old page navigation layout. i liked how there were multiple ways to navigate between pages of a thread. like, you could skip to the first and last pages, but then you could also scroll through pages in groups of 10 or so. It was super helpful in the longer threads and in WW games to scroll quickly to like mid-way through the thread and then look at pages individually from there. Is there any chance this feature could make a come back?

its not showing on mobile browsers.
Looks like the break between Sticky/Normal threads was added in the SDN and SDN Dark styles but not the Basic style. I found no difference in mobile view vs desktop view.

Also major lag while typing :confused:
I've found that clicking on the "gearhead" icon on the far right of the text editor -- which toggles between Basic (have to use BB code) and Fancy editors (which allows the buttons to work like in Word) -- significantly reduces lag on mobile phones and older computers. Easy to re-create the lag by turning it back on. Honestly IMO I think the lag is something the developers may have to work on? Definitely a bummer since I pretty much just leave it turned off and manually use BB code like a nerd. I imagine 99% of users like the toolbar buttons.

Last edited:
When replying to an older thread, after the last update there was a pop-up banner notification that was all "you sure? this may not be necessary..." but would still allow you to reply to an older thread. I though that was a good idea, since a lot of necrobumps are accidental.

However, the new version now has the same pop-up "are you sure?" message, but will not let you close it out and post anyway. There are some threads that get resurrected periodically with updates, and (in my case today) a thread that wasn't all that old (~18 mo) and I wanted to ask the OP (who I can't PM) a followup question about the topic. Creating a whole new thread for a question that can be solved with a couple of posts seems like too much.

Can we get back the ability to close out that notification? Or at least push back the close thread date to 2-3 years? Using the search function is much more effective if you can ask followup questions in recent-ish threads rather than have to create a new one - which is what makes people cranky all the time any way.

Reactions: 3 users

Was trying to paste that here. Failed. Tried uploading it. Said it was too large after spending each second trying to reach 100% :confused:

Updated file size limits, number and sizes. Let me know if it's working better for you now!

Bring back coffee style!!!

It's never going to happen? Is it? :(:(:(

*officially mourns the best style ever created*
I think it'd be possible to customize a style to look like that one.

i'm hoping for the night/dark mode version of the Basic style. don't like the other styles

Can we get page numbers at the top of the page? Or at least a previous/next page button? Having to scroll to the bottom every time if you're at the top is annoying.

Only works if you read every unread watched thread every time. If you want to go back later and remember which threads you still hadn't looked at, the alerts been cleared. The old unread watched threads view made it much easier.
"Watched" now leads to a dropdown showing Watched Threads, Unread Watched Threads and Watched Forums.
The Unread Watched Threads option is now working for me on Safari/Mac. Thanks for the fix!
Is it working for you now, @Raryn ?

I think "X Year Member" badge should be changed to "X+ Year Member".

The basic theme does not display the SDN logo anywhere (especially on top):

Also, this weird formatting error happens on the homepage of studentdoctor.net. Tested without Adblock and running unsafe scripts as well (red covers my email):

I like that the small circle OP mark was changed to that slanted OP banner on the top left of the profile, but it is so small and even easier to miss than the circle. Possible to have a straight horizontal banner going across at the 4/5 of the profile pic right above the online symbol? A blue banner with white text might be more visible. Example:

Overall, I am getting used to this update and really liking the basic theme. I still do miss the Blue 2017 theme (I think that is the one I was using before, not totally sure). Still would like to see the post/like count somewhere more readily accessible instead of having the hover/click on a user's display name.

However, great work with the fast and responsive updates!!

EDIT: Forgot to add one last point I had:
There is no way to collapse forums in basic theme (which might be intentional, but I would prefer to have that functionality).

Last edited:
"Watched" now leads to a dropdown showing Watched Threads, Unread Watched Threads and Watched Forums.
The Unread Watched Threads option is now working for me on Safari/Mac. Thanks for the fix!
Is it working for you now, @Raryn ?
For me it still shows every unread thread in my watched forums rather than just the individual threads I'm watching (mobile chrome browser)

Hi all! We are pleased to welcome you to the updated version of the Student Doctor Network forums and website! Please let us know if you see any issues by logging them in this thread.

Is there no more way to ignore threads and ignore forums? There’s some forums I want to ignore, and there’s some specific threads I want to ignore. They both used to be options. And it even let you specify if you wanted to completely hide it or still see on on the forum list, but ignore it on news feed/new posts.

Updated file size limits, number and sizes. Let me know if it's working better for you now!

Thanks! Looks good so far.

Would it be possible to reinclude the Ignored Forum/Ignored Thread features?

Also updating the profile in desktop browsers to show user info (i.e. messages, likes, location, status like it was in pre update)? Basic template doesn't show it.

Also missing the Save Draft button in mobile browser.

Screenshot_20190405-214655_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Can we get buttons at the top of the threads to go back or forward between the threads’ pages? Right now you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to go to the previous or next page (at least in basic mode).

Along those same lines, can you guys add a “jump” arrow to jump all the way to the bottom of a page, similar to the one that you press to automatically jump all the way the to the top? (Buttons in both directions were there in the last version, but only the “up” arrow is available in this one).

When I click on my name in the upper right hand corner, I see a tab for bookmarks. What are those exactly? Are these like computer bookmarks where I can add a particular thread I think I will want for future reference? If so, how do I add a post or thread to bookmarks?

Thanks! :) Sorry if this is a silly question. I am a failed Millennial who is no good with computers.

Reactions: 2 users
When I click on my name in the upper right hand corner, I see a tab for bookmarks. Are these like computer bookmarks where I can add a particular thread I think I will want for future reference? If so, how do I add a post or thread to bookmarks?

Thanks! :) Sorry if this is a silly question. I am a failed Millennial who is no good with computers.
Here’s where it is on mobile

8DDBACD1-459F-4ED2-9DC6-7AF012767865.png

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going through the thread and capturing the comments.

One question on the menu on mobile, which rolls down when you click the three lines in the upper left corner of the page: What are the most important links to include, in your opinion (ie watched threads, members, etc)? It is easily customizable by toggle switches but if we include too many options that menu requires vertical scrolling.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going through the thread and capturing the comments.

One question on the menu on mobile, which rolls down when you click the three lines in the upper left corner of the page: What are the most important links to include, in your opinion (ie watched threads, members, etc)? It is easily customizable by toggle switches but if we include too many options that menu requires vertical scrolling.

Not sure if both Watched Threads and Unread Watched Threads are necessary. I think Unread Watched Threads may be enough (but others can chime in)?

I think the most important links to keep are What's New, Unread Watched Threads, Members, Search Forums and Mark Forums Read but that's just me.

Not sure if both Watched Threads and Unread Watched Threads are necessary. I think Unread Watched Threads may be enough (but others can chime in)?

I think the most important links to keep are What's New, Unread Watched Threads, Members, Search Forums and Mark Forums Read but that's just me.

New posts and unread watched threads are the most important (to me). However, with the current setup, watched threads is also important. Because since there is no ignore function for forums or threads, I had to filter the new posts page to the forums I care about. However, that same filter automatically applied to unread watched threads, but not watched threads. This is important because there are some threads I watch/participate in that aren’t in forums I want to see enough to be in the new posts feed, so they are filtered out in the unread watched threads, but still available in watched threads. An example of that would be I don’t want to see 162738 app cycle posts that I don’t care about clogging up the new posts page, so I didn’t select “osteopathic school specific discussions” in the filter. However, I participate in/help answer questions for the school I go to, thus I watch that one thread only. And with the new update, that thread gets filtered out of unread watched threads by the forum filter I made for new posts, but does not get filtered from the watched threads.

Unread watched threads only works as a unread threads in watched forums at present so keeping watched threads gets you closer to what you would want for that (as long as the bolding is obvious enough which it is on basic). Especially because some watched threads are in forums that aren't watched or don't show up in there for whatever reason.

Bring the old style back! Or at least give us the option to revert to that layout. The new site 1) keeps logging me out 2) does not let me search within threads 3) looks too busy and hard on the eyes 4) makes it difficult to see user details and which threads I've already seen. Old site worked perfectly well, not sure why they had to "fix" something that was not broke.

Edit: basic mode seems to work and look better like the old style, but I cannot see join dates and other users' details.

Last edited: