University of Nebraska Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does UNMC give interviews to every in-state applicant that applies to their medical school? Anybody who has interviewed with them this cycle (2009 entrance)? How was your interview like? How many people interviewed you?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to your first question is "yes."

Yea they give interviews to every instate resident of Nebraska. Also, if you graduated high school in Nebraska, they consider you instate (this happened to me). The interview was a 30 min closed file interview with one person. The day starts at 9:30. There's a 30-45 min tour of the new Sorrell building and the standardized patient clinical rooms. Then you have an orientation for 30 mins. The interviews started at 11 and went til 1. There were about 25 people there that day to interview. When you are waiting to interview, you can get a tour from fourth-years of the anatomy lab, library, and some lecture halls. The interview was easy. Just a lot of questions for her to get to know me better. Nothing ethical and nothing challenging. Also they feed you lunch from the cafeteria, which turned out to be really delicious. The day is over around 1:30 after a financial aid presentation. All in all, it was a very relaxed day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to offer some insight, but I think bleeker covered it all. It was an easy day.

Hi all,

I recently had my interview with UNMC on december 12th and just wondered how long it usually takes them to get back to us with the decision? Is there anybody out there who has interviewed and gotten in yet????? Whats the usual turn-around time?

Seems like a great school! Can't wait to get in:)

Hi all,

I recently had my interview with UNMC on december 12th and just wondered how long it usually takes them to get back to us with the decision? Is there anybody out there who has interviewed and gotten in yet????? Whats the usual turn-around time?

Seems like a great school! Can't wait to get in:)

Assuming that
(1) they review files every week beginning the middle of December until the middle of March
(2) they meet every Thursday
(3) their earliest meeting date is December 11th
(4) they dont meet on Chrismas week

You should be hearing anything from them anytime from 12/12-12/17 - the first batch
or 12/19-12/24 - the second batch
or in January....

Let's hope that we can get a wonderful present from them before Christmas this year!

Last edited:
For what its worth, I interviewed on 10/24. During my interview I was told that my interview group would most likely not be reviewed until January.

For what its worth, I interviewed on 10/24. During my interview I was told that my interview group would most likely not be reviewed until January.

I interviewed on that day too... maybe I saw you.... :D

I was told that I would probably not hear anything until January too.. but my friend who interviewed at UNMC last year around the beginning of November got accepted before Christmas. He had 35MCAT / 3.8GPA and an OOS applicant. So... maybe it's all about numbers and ties to Nebraska? Or maybe UNMC sends acceptance to OOS applicants earlier? But then again,... oneandonylo (IS, I: 10/10, A: 12/13) - (copied from the acceptance thread) is IS, interviewed just 2 weeks before us, and got accepted on 12/13...

Anyways... how was your interview at OSU?

Last edited:
is there anybody who interviewed on Friday Dec. 12th, 2008?

any news yet????? this wait is killing me...

has anyone been offered admission yet? rejection? waiting list? somebody? anybody? hello?

any news yet????? this wait is killing me...

has anyone been offered admission yet? rejection? waiting list? somebody? anybody? hello?

Interviewed 11/21, received acceptance packet 12/18!! First one and I am completely pumped!!! Beautiful school, great people. HOWEVER ... am also a little freaked out by OOS tuition. I have a big (and possibly very expensive) decision to make ...

Rx, that's awesome...congrats! That must have been a very nice christmas present to get it on 12/18th :) So did they contact you by snail mail? big packet or small packet? Do you mind sharing a bit about your interview experience on 11/21? what kinda questions did you get and how did you feel about it overall?

Hey, BTW I called Nebraska to ask a question a couple days ago and I got an automatic message saying their admissions office was on holiday break until January 5.
-Roy

Members don't see this ad :)
Rx, that's awesome...congrats! That must have been a very nice christmas present to get it on 12/18th :) So did they contact you by snail mail? big packet or small packet? Do you mind sharing a bit about your interview experience on 11/21? what kinda questions did you get and how did you feel about it overall?

Thanks!! I was completely taken by surprise and am very excited.

Answers to questions: Notification was by snail mail, with a big packet for the acceptance and a small packet for financial aid (so both). My wife gave it away to me when I walked in the door from work and she said she could see "Financial Aid" through the envelope :laugh:.

The interview, I thought, went well but not great. It was extremely conversational and we honestly spent very little time on med school interview - type questions. Which is why it probably went better than I had thought. We discussed more about people in general, hobbies and activities, etc. Instead of grilling you on ethics issues (which I've also had) and combing through your AMCAS or PS, the point of the interview was more to get to know you (the applicant) and what kind of goals and visions you have for both medical school and possibly beyond. They by no means ask you or pressure you into saying anything about committing to staying in Nebraska (my only connections are actually through my wife). They want to know what kind of physician you'll make and are not overly concerned with stats, essays and how you react to complex social issues during the interview portion. Thats not to say they didn't ask anything along those lines, though. We did discuss physician-patient relationships, roles of physicians on the care team in relation to others and, of course, what first interested me in medicine.

Overall, I loved the school, the faculty I had an opportunity to meet, the facilities and Omaha looks great (living in larger city right now). Just the OOS tuition ...

Hope that helps without being too wordy ... good luck to everyone!!! Maybe see you next fall!

Hey, BTW I called Nebraska to ask a question a couple days ago and I got an automatic message saying their admissions office was on holiday break until January 5.
-Roy

I just emailed Gigi yesterday about Letter of Intent and Acceptance Deposit and I got her response today. So I think maybe you can try emailing them.

I was interviewed on 10/24, got accepted on 12/18, and I am an IS applicant. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting for a response :luck:

I was thinking of sending an update letter to Nebraska, do you think an email to Gigi Rogers would be the best person to send it to/way to do it?
-Roy

I was thinking of sending an update letter to Nebraska, do you think an email to Gigi Rogers would be the best person to send it to/way to do it?
-Roy

Ya, why not? I heard that she is not only the admission coordinator but also one of the committee members. ;)

-Roy

At my interview, Gigi said we could just mail the update letter to the admissions office and it would be put into your file.

How long do they review applications for? I thought they said it can be anywhere between December and March. Is that correct? I haven't heard anything yet so I am trying to figure out if it's a good/bad thing.

At my interview, Gigi said we could just mail the update letter to the admissions office and it would be put into your file.

How long do they review applications for? I thought they said it can be anywhere between December and March. Is that correct? I haven't heard anything yet so I am trying to figure out if it's a good/bad thing.

Yes, you are right. They review files every week from Dec. to Mar. I think they make their decision & send out letters every Thursday and if you are IS, you will receive the letter on Friday or so.

If you haven't heard anything yet, it means that you still have a chance. If UNMC is your 1st choice, I heard that writing them a LOI might help. :luck:

I sent in an update letter but I didn't write a LOI. Should I send in a letter telling why I want to go to UNMC and why I'd be a good fit?

I sent in an update letter but I didn't write a LOI. Should I send in a letter telling why I want to go to UNMC and why I'd be a good fit?

Sure, why not. I do not think a good LOI will hurt your chances. Good Luck! :luck::luck::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.