Thank you note after residency interviews ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podiatryresident

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need a quick advice : Should I send a thank you email to the program after my residency interview ? Thank you so much and have a great weekend

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No point. It is too late by that time. Most programs know who they want for most/all of their spots even before interviews, and they decide ranks and any undecided spots and main backup ranks right after interviews (usually immediately after they wrap up, while the key persons are still together).

You should have sent a handwritten and specific thank you note/card if you enjoyed the externship. That will put your name out at the program one more time and will express gratitude for the learning month. After residency interview, you are too late and clearly pleading for the program (and any program that would be susceptible to that or change their ranks at that point will likely be available in scramble anyways).

I do that stuff sometimes (thank you note or pkg for visit or interview or etc), but I only do it when I legitimately appreciate the experience or assistance or whatever. I sent my new office credentialer a present for doing all of my hospital and insurance apps successfully and efficiently last month. However, if you are just doing it to every place to try to gain something in return, they tend to think you are trying to compensate for lack of qualification and will usually see through that (although it may still work a bit... due to human norm of reciprocity).

Hello everyone. I need a quick advice : Should I send a thank you email to the program after my residency interview ? Thank you so much and have a great weekend

If you want a specific program, then sending a professional email thanking everyone who attended the interview session can't hurt.

I would just thank them at the end of the interview in person.

It's on zoom again this year, but I agree if it was live.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to highjack the thread,

but what do we think about visiting a program again (already externed there) in these next weeks before ranking starts?
Ranking begins for us and programs on the 27th of this month.
Is it a little too late to impact any decisions? lol

but what do we think about visiting a program again (already externed there) in these next weeks before ranking starts?
I heard about that. For competitive programs, I think they will conclude the list by the end of interviews because they have many good students. I think it still works for less competitive ones
@All : Thank you for all of your advice.

Most already know what they want.

If you already externed there and already interviewed- wasted time.

If they like you- they will already know they want you.
If it's a less competitive program and you did a good job while on clerkship- again, they will already know they want you.
If it's a program you did not extern at but visited and have been keeping in touch with the residents- sure, but they will have other students who externed there already on their rank list.

We make our rank list right after the last interview, while everything is fresh and we still have everyone together.

Reactions: 2 users
I wrote TY cards after interviews. I was also in the middle of my extern ship at my #1 choice program in January during interviews as well. Worked my a** off and got the program, one of the most competitive programs and director commented they were surprised I showed up everyday.

Reactions: 2 users