What are the best interview tips for residency interviews you guys have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robin-jay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same as the title.

I'm fine is you share sites or resources for interviews, but I'm also looking for more "what are you guys looking for when you interview students" type of thing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PRISM
Pearls of Foot and Ankle by Richard Jay
PrePodiatryStudy

Reactions: 1 user
Directors mainly look for residents that are personable, teachable, can get along with other co residents, do the job asked, handle the job adequately, bring something to their residency (i.e. Research, academics), do well in the residency andable to pass the boards. These are just some of the main ones, but there are others. That's why it's good to show them your best at externships and visitations.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most top programs' interviews are primarily behavioiral interview questions aka social interview. (they can choose among clerks, already weeded out clerks and any non-clerk interviews on good or elite gpa/rank)

Other programs might do academic, behavioral, or typically a mix (sometimes stations with attendings doing academic and director station doing behavioral, etc).

The lower teir programs with few applicants and a weak pool are actually more likely to be academic. They get few or no clerkship visits, and they get applicant interest from mostly avg or below students. Those programs need to try to rule out matching any of the truly dum dum ppl who seldom read, will probably fail boards, etc... so, they will tend to do at least some basic academics.

If you didn't clerk, expect more academic questions.
If you did clerk, it'll typically be more social / behavioral.

...just dress well (classic national TV anchor/politician professional look... not loud colors or edgy style), maybe go over a set of behavioral interview questions... you should already know the academic from studying for clerkships and boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
everyone familiar with STAR? this should be your guide with every question.

I got it during my interview, good thing I was prepared for it.
now I use it too

Situation - This is where you describe the situation and provide the interviewer with context

Task - What was your role in this situation? Explain what your duties were and what was expected of you at the time

Action - How did you carry out your task/s? Did you go out of your way to fulfill your duties or do more than you initially had to?

Result - This is the conclusion of your answer and story. Explain what results your actions had and if the situation was solved successfully or not. The use of numbers and data is a bonus.

Reactions: 2 users