RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean…can they prove you didn’t also get bit trying to save him? Joking. Mostly.

But from what I remember prophylactic vaccines are a lot easier on the patient than post-exposure.
Pre doesn’t have the immunoglobulin which I’ve heard is painful. Also half as many vaccines 😅

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We had a parvo puppy crash and burn after NINE DAYS in the hospital. Nine days, and she was eating out of my hand yesterday and wagging her tail and hadn't regurged in two days and had partially formed stool and white blood cells back and now she's dead.

I'm so much more upset than I should be. She was a tiny (<5lb) parvo puppy, they're always touch and go, but all through the week while I kept giving endless bad news all night to so many other people, at least she was slowly improving. And she started eating and really looked like she was going to go home and instead her BG **** the bed and didn't respond to anything and her central line stopped working and she just died and it's not ****ing fair.

She wasn't even two months old yet and she spent over a week being poked and prodded and so sick and after all of it, we still didn't even manage to win. I'm so, SO sorry Gracie. I'm just so absolutely heartbroken.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
I think there is a ton missing from this whole situation. Having said that, this isn't up for public opinion. The public does not have all the information on what happened, what behavioral issues are present, severity of the two bites the dog has already done, etc. This does not involve the public, at this time. This is a conversation that should be happening between the shelter, the rescue and the owner and the best option for public safety is what should be considered.
I agree 100%. I personally know the head vet of the shelter and I can't imagine the stress she faced with this situation.

They ended up transferring her to the other shelter involved, and the dog was then transferred to a breed specific rescue. I bet you there was *a ton* of paperwork filled out to state the city shelter would not take any responsibility for this dog biting another child if it happens again.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate that my place of work forwards complaints from clients to all of the doctors. Sometimes they are horrible and insulting. Other times, they make no sense. Yesterday we got one from a woman who was upset that we performed a physical (and charged for it) on the cat she dropped off for urinary/QOL reasons. She was further upset that we had to call her for approval because her husband brought the cat in but is not an authorized contact.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I hate that my place of work forwards complaints from clients to all of the doctors. Sometimes they are horrible and insulting. Other times, they make no sense. Yesterday we got one from a woman who was upset that we performed a physical (and charged for it) on the cat she dropped off for urinary/QOL reasons. She was further upset that we had to call her for approval because her husband brought the cat in but is not an authorized contact.
Wait, they forward all complaints to all doctors? Or individual ones to the doctors involved?

Honestly, both suck. Our management deals with that ****. If it's something that sounds like it might be a board complaint or a repeated problem they might bring it up to the doc, but not in 98% of situations. And definitely not to the whole group of docs.

What benefit does telling the doctors an owner is pissed because y'all appropriately followed the rules have?

Reactions: 5 users
Wait, they forward all complaints to all doctors? Or individual ones to the doctors involved?

Honestly, both suck. Our management deals with that ****. If it's something that sounds like it might be a board complaint or a repeated problem they might bring it up to the doc, but not in 98% of situations. And definitely not to the whole group of docs.

What benefit does telling the doctors an owner is pissed because y'all appropriately followed the rules have?
Unfortunately, the former. It’s very messed up. It populates from a very specific complaint form that luckily most pissed off owners seem unaware of, but it’s always triggering to receive those messages in your inbox. These aren’t even edited or paraphrased complaints either, often just straight vitriol. Sometimes you’re named specifically. Sometimes you’re not sure who the complaint is actually about so you feel compelled to look into it because after days and days of 20+ pets, you don’t know what you’ve seen.

It’s pretty terrible. It’s also why I can’t take anything corporate says or does about mental health seriously.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately, the former. It’s very messed up. It populates from a very specific complaint form that luckily most pissed off owners seem unaware of, but it’s always triggering to receive those messages in your inbox. These aren’t even edited or paraphrased complaints either, often just straight vitriol. Sometimes you’re named specifically. Sometimes you’re not sure who the complaint is actually about so you feel compelled to look into it because after days and days of 20+ pets, you don’t know what you’ve seen.

It’s pretty terrible. It’s also why I can’t take anything corporate says or does about mental health seriously.
This is a **** no. No business should have this be a regular thing. I definitely encourage you to just auto delete these emails

This is a **** no. No business should have this be a regular thing. I definitely encourage you to just auto delete these emails
I encourage you to have a mild fit about being sent these emails, period, and potentially gather the other docs you work with to discuss it. What an obnoxious set up.

Do you work for Banfield? We called it CAT calls. I always was uncomfortable when they sent them to everyone in the clinic naming certain doctors/people.

As sucky as that all is, one good thing is that these feedback forms often provide a place for clients to rant so that they’re not doing it elsewhere (social media, Board complaint, lawsuit). Doesn’t stop everyone, but it does provide some dampening effect.

Wedding planning is stressful! Now on top of the normal wedding stuff our honeymoon starts on the 21st on Maui which is on fire!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Wedding planning is stressful! Now on top of the normal wedding stuff our honeymoon starts on the 21st on Maui which is on fire!
I'm devastated about Maui. We went a couple years ago and it was unreal how beautiful it was.

• Sad
Also currently wedding planning and I agree it's stressful. But exciting at the same time. Hope you're finding joy in it ❤️

Members don't see this ad :)
My application deadline (fee waiver) is coming up in a couple days and I can't shake the imposter syndrome, not-good-enough type thoughts. Who am I to think I could do well in veterinary school, with this competitive of an application pool? Why do I think I would be a better doctor than anyone else, especially when I struggle with mental health and can barely take care of myself sometimes? I've been prepping for this my whole life and in the field full-time for several years across many disciplines and logically know I'm ready for this, but it's tough.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Also currently wedding planning and I agree it's stressful. But exciting at the same time. Hope you're finding joy in it ❤️
Right now just stressful. Ended up just booking where we got engaged in Cozumel and will use what we saved for a trip in a couple years after Im in an internship or residency and she has finished PA school so 2025 at the earliest. I'll start enjoying when I get to my bachelor party in CO.

*warning major mental health caution ahead*

My BIL unsuccessfully attempted to unalive himself. Hes expected to be "fine" thankfully. Of course we just want him better but at the same time we want to slap the everloving **** out of him. Just keep him and my husband's family in your thoughts. I plan on making an appointment for us with a therapist for how to best prepare to help BIL once he's hopefully home, but if anyone has been through something similar I would appreciate a pm to chat about the after things.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
And for thing number 8, my husband was in a car accident this afternoon on his way home. He is unhurt and did not have the baby yet. But it's so heartbreaking and frustrating.

For the recap of our financial woes, see below:
1. We put a deposit down to remodel our kitchen (~10k)
2. My transmission died in my 2006 Ford escape; approx $4800 to fix (parents had a spare car they "sold" me)
3. My Pittie blew her left ACL (the same evening of the Ford dying); approx $2500 (between professional discount and employee discount); surgery done
4. The heating unit in our heater died; $300 because part was under warranty but not the labor (it was still snowing)
5. We got a squirrel infestation; $1600
6. The kitchen remodel itself with complications that has spanned the last 13 weeks; additional $55k
7. The Pittie blew her right ACL; approx $2500; surgery scheduled for the 31st, but now may delay it because of all of this **** show

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I’m sorry bats. That’s all gotta be so incredibly frustrating. Hopefully things turn a corner soon.

• Care
More of a rave than a rant..

But FINALLY after like an entire year the worst employee and coworker on the planet was let go from my hospital!!!

for reference she was PT last year and missed 40+ days... not including the days that she requested off

• Wow
More of a rave than a rant..

But FINALLY after like an entire year the worst employee and coworker on the planet was let go from my hospital!!!

for reference she was PT last year and missed 40+ days... not including the days that she requested off
The relief of poor staff leaving or being let go is liberating.

We doing fine out here on this fine Sunday. Definitely didn't need to send out an emergency email to get doctors to work extra shifts because we were down to 3 on the schedule. And down a tech.

• Sad
  • Care
Got an A on my pharmacology exam 🤠 But now a hurricane is hitting us Wednesday 😩

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Yall. We saw 50 cases in about 10 hours today. It was so bad that we had to move to only taking the most severe injuries/time sensitive things. Like I knew it could happen because I've read through our triage statuses, but never thought that we would move to that.

Every cage was full, critical things were on the floor in play pens. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I'm just so happy to be home now.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I worked a full day today on emergency. 4 calls in less than 30 minutes to start my day and a c-section to interrupt my power nap. I am tired. Here's to the next 11 days :laugh:

• Care
Ducky has asthma :cautious: Because of course she does, being a vet-owned horse :rolleyes: Had a good solid cry about my show jumping prospect having a chronic performance-limiting illness only to look outside to see her galloping around the backyard for 20 minutes without a care in the world. MAKE UP YOUR MIND DUCKY :rofl:

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hi, all! I am a pre-vet student, and I was wondering if any veterinarians/pre-vets had any similar problems as I have had. I am currently a senior in college (working as a vet assistant). I have truly realized that there is a lack of resources and understanding when it comes to applying to vet school or anything associated with entering into vet med. In addition, many local vets that I tried to shadow or work with were too busy to sit down with me and offer me solid advice. All I was told in high school was to shadow vets, get good grades, and pursue a BA in science. My advisors in high school and college knew virtually nothing about applying to vet school or about any local resources/opportunities I should follow up on. I virtually did everything by myself. Is this a common problem and experience in vet med? Rant over lol

• Care
One the first week of vet school my body gave to me...
A sore throat, a cough, and nose-runny.

• Care
Hi, all! I am a pre-vet student, and I was wondering if any veterinarians/pre-vets had any similar problems as I have had. I am currently a senior in college (working as a vet assistant). I have truly realized that there is a lack of resources and understanding when it comes to applying to vet school or anything associated with entering into vet med. In addition, many local vets that I tried to shadow or work with were too busy to sit down with me and offer me solid advice. All I was told in high school was to shadow vets, get good grades, and pursue a BA in science. My advisors in high school and college knew virtually nothing about applying to vet school or about any local resources/opportunities I should follow up on. I virtually did everything by myself. Is this a common problem and experience in vet med? Rant over lol
I think this is pretty common unless you go to a school with a big “pre-vet” program or vet school. I remember meeting with an advisor my freshman year of undergrad and she had no idea what I needed to apply to vet school. I ended up just learning the ins and outs of applying from older peers. This is also why I am happy to mentor people going through the process right now that I know.

2nd year is as brutal as everyone says 🤭 Losing my sanity with multiple exams per week

• Care
I'm deeply irritated that there are so many random fees charged to veterinary students at my program that even though I had enough scholarship money to nearly cover this semester's tuition, I am still owing almost 6 grand because of things like

"veterinary medicine collegiate fee"

and a student services fee for things that professional students, and particularly professional students on this campus, don't ever see the benefit of.

Salt salt salt salt

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I’m glad to hear it gets better at least! The struggle is real for now, gotta push through
It does. Seems like all I did second year was study, work on research and SAVMA stuff. It all turned out fine! Third year was much better! You can do it!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
2nd year is as brutal as everyone says 🤭 Losing my sanity with multiple exams per week
Right there with you. I'm motivated to push through but cannot get rid of this pit of anxiety that is so strong I'm physically nauseous and haven't had an appetite in days 🙃 It's only week 3 😅

• Care
Right there with you. I'm motivated to push through but cannot get rid of this pit of anxiety that is so strong I'm physically nauseous and haven't had an appetite in days 🙃 It's only week 3 😅
I had my first nervous breakdown in a while the other day. The pace is just wild, I memorize all this info in days then dump it immediately to prepare for the next one. I feel like I never get a break. I’m quite the opposite I cannot stop eating for comfort 🙃 WE CAN DO THIS

• Care
I had my first nervous breakdown in a while the other day. The pace is just wild, I memorize all this info in days then dump it immediately to prepare for the next one. I feel like I never get a break. I’m quite the opposite I cannot stop eating for comfort 🙃 WE CAN DO THIS
I usually am a comfort eater! Have never experienced this before haha. And yep.. Everyone says study to learn not to pass tests and I'm like I'm sorry at this pace I am able to only do the latter.. After exams my brain is empty :lol:

• Care
The premium of my dog's pet insurance is going to be increased by almost 30% starting next year :mad: I can't shop for another insurance because he has pre-existing condition. His symptoms are well under control, but it still won't be covered if I change policy :cryi:

• Care
  • Sad
I usually am a comfort eater! Have never experienced this before haha. And yep.. Everyone says study to learn not to pass tests and I'm like I'm sorry at this pace I am able to only do the latter.. After exams my brain is empty :lol:
I feel this deeply. I just attended IVECCS and took a workshop hosted by the new ACVECC president focused on learning how to teach. 4 hours of life changing knowledge that I wish I'd had years ago because it would have also made me a better student.

It's unfortunate professors aren't required to learn how to teach, but students are expected to learn for life from non-teachers.

Reactions: 10 users
Yes, this is a common problem. Unless you went to a college with an animal science program, there probably weren't advisors that were experienced with the vet school application process. At least you've found SDN which is an excellent resource. Best of luck to you!

I feel this deeply. I just attended IVECCS and took a workshop hosted by the new ACVECC president focused on learning how to teach. 4 hours of life changing knowledge that I wish I'd had years ago because it would have also made me a better student.

It's unfortunate professors aren't required to learn how to teach, but students are expected to learn for life from non-teachers.
I’m lucky this semester I have (one) professor that directly tells us what is important in real life for practice and only tests us on that. But it seems like the rest expect you to memorize every minute detail they’ve ever uttered……

I’m lucky this semester I have (one) professor that directly tells us what is important in real life for practice and only tests us on that. But it seems like the rest expect you to memorize every minute detail they’ve ever uttered……
Direct quote from the IVECCS lecture: "Don't hide what the students need to know!!" Imagine a taller, thin, blonde mid-40s woman with a pixie cut striding back and forth at the front of the room with enthusiastic gesticulations.

• Love
  • Haha
Direct quote from the IVECCS lecture: "Don't hide what the students need to know!!" Imagine a taller, thin, blonde mid-40s woman with a pixie cut striding back and forth at the front of the room with enthusiastic gesticulations.
Love it 😂

Sorry to hear. Not many of us who are prehealth advisors work with prevet students, so SDN historically has been a great resource to add to what I learn from AAVMC and a few admissions peers.

I already didn’t love the idea of using Rover to find someone to petsit for me, but this week has definitely permanently made that not an option I will ever consider for my pets.

Had a bad eye ulcer where the pet sitter didn’t want to give the meds appropriately and chose to give some of the meds some of the time before dropping off the dog for me to clean up the mess.

Then today had a diabetic kitty where the pet sitter made a syringe reading error and gave 30U of insulin instead of 3U for two doses in a row. You can imagine the state the cat was in when they found it this morning and brought it to us.

• Care
  • Wow
  • Sad
I already didn’t love the idea of using Rover to find someone to petsit for me, but this week has definitely permanently made that not an option I will ever consider for my pets.

Had a bad eye ulcer where the pet sitter didn’t want to give the meds appropriately and chose to give some of the meds some of the time before dropping off the dog for me to clean up the mess.

Then today had a diabetic kitty where the pet sitter made a syringe reading error and gave 30U of insulin instead of 3U for two doses in a row. You can imagine the state the cat was in when they found it this morning and brought it to us.
the good news is - if this is universal across states - the insurance/payment they provide for animals injured under care is fantastic. We had a BDLD who was being walked by a Rover sitter who had multiple procedures, week of bandage changes/hospitalization, etc, and they no-questions-asked covered the whole thing. I think it was near a 5 figure bill by the end.