RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for sounding miserable but I feel so dumb sometimes. I grew up poor and as I’m preparing to start vet school it just feels so overwhelming. All of the things I have to prepare, financially and mentally, I don’t know how I could ever afford any of it and asking my also poor family doesn’t make me feel any better. They’re happy to help but I can’t help but feel like a burden, like I should’ve chose something else because now it’s not just my problem.

I also just left my old job to be back home at their request (since I’m moving away and we value family a lot) but now I feel like an idiot because I’ve lost a good source of income (I do have a different remote job but it pays less), I lost my workplace health insurance and I need to see a doctor, etc.

I want to be excited, I AM excited, but I’m also scared, stressed, and tired. I don’t have anyone before me who went to college and I don’t know what to do for loans, and the internet can only clear up so much.

It’s just so much. Sorry to sound so dramatic.

(P.S This stress is not due to COA overall as I knew this going in, it’s mainly due to the short term purchases I need to make while I’m broke and so is my family, like finding an apartment near the school, getting supplies, moving costs, etc.)
I completely understand where you are coming from. Like Honey said, your feelings are valid. My family is also willing to help but I don't want to burden them.

I have to move a month earlier than I wanted and will lose the money I wanted to earn before I leave. I am stressed off the wazzoo and have to sell everything and pack light since I am moving three states away. Moving costs a lot, buying stuff for the new place costs a lot, and I just want to curl up in my room and scream. I am BEYOND grateful to be put in this situation but trust me this whole moving and money situation is a real fun sucker.

Also shout out to people who are moving more than a state away. I thought moving three states away was BAD.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
You aren't a burden at all, @naivevetstudent. It makes family happy to help you and support the next generation. I don't come from much and can relate to the feeling. Sending my love. <3

I completely understand where you are coming from. Like Honey said, your feelings are valid. My family is also willing to help but I don't want to burden them.

I have to move a month earlier than I wanted and will lose the money I wanted to earn before I leave. I am stressed off the wazzoo and have to sell everything and pack light since I am moving three states away. Moving costs a lot, buying stuff for the new place costs a lot, and I just want to curl up in my room and scream. I am BEYOND grateful to be put in this situation but trust me this whole moving and money situation is a real fun sucker.

Also shout out to people who are moving more than a state away. I thought moving three states away was BAD.
I'm moving from Texas to Minnesota. I also have never moved before. I'm sure it'll be... Fine...

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm moving from Texas to Minnesota. I also have never moved before. I'm sure it'll be... Fine...

Just a suggestion...

1.) If you have the funds, I would recommend getting a coat that goes all the way to your knees. I love that thing for my Illinois/Wisconsin winters. Be sure to get some boots with good traction and walk slowly and "like a goose" on ice.

2.) Come prepared for winter driving if you plan to bring or buy a car there. Memorize what to do in a skid before it happens. (DON'T BRAKE.) Winter tires are great if you can afford them. I have never been able to afford them, so I don't know how necessary they are for winter city driving. If you plan to drive outside of the city itself, keep a shovel and some kitty litter (traction for the tires) in case you ever get stuck in a ditch. I don't want to scare you! I doubt you will ever get stuck in a ditch. That has never happened to me or anyone I know, but it can be very dangerous and it's better to be prepared in case of an emergency hence the shovel and cat litter. Get a ice pick for your car and keep it in there before you think you will need it. We get snow in October occasionally.

You'll be okay! Honestly, I have found the idea and planning for the out-of-state move to be more stressful than the actual day of the move.

I recommend bringing a bar of soap and some loose toilet paper (to save space) if this is a brand new apartment a roommate hasn't already moved into. I have made that mistake every time I have moved: moved the boxes in and had to use the bathroom only to realize there's no toilet paper. I leave a courtesy roll for the next tenant whenever I move out of a place, but not everyone does that.

Last edited:
  • Care
Seriously what is it with holiday weekends always being a disaster-everything is always really sick and dying.
We saw 45 cases today during my 12 hour shift. Absolutely crazy town busy and I ended up writing records for 1.5 hours after I got home.

We've had two hemopericardium cases resulting in right sided heart failure in the last 24 hours.

Cat came in with major respiratory distress; I convey to client potential for heart failure and either pursue treatment and diagnosis or euth. Turns out she was choking on a 4in by 0.5in. hairball. -_-

Multiple broken puppies.

AND WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE GASTROENTERITIS, PANCREATITIS, AND/OR HGE/AHDS?!?!?!?

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
We saw 45 cases today during my 12 hour shift. Absolutely crazy town busy and I ended up writing records for 1.5 hours after I got home.

We've had two hemopericardium cases resulting in right sided heart failure in the last 24 hours.

Cat came in with major respiratory distress; I convey to client potential for heart failure and either pursue treatment and diagnosis or euth. Turns out she was choking on a 4in by 0.5in. hairball. -_-

Multiple broken puppies.

AND WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE GASTROENTERITIS, PANCREATITIS, AND/OR HGE/AHDS?!?!?!?

Sorry about your weekend, it sounds really rough :( I hope you find a way to make some time for yourself to decompress.

Also wanted to echo the sentiment about GI upset... I'm far away but multiple ultrasounds I did last week and cases I'm consulting on this weekend are HGE/AHDS and gastroenteritis. Something must be going around!

Sorry about your weekend, it sounds really rough :( I hope you find a way to make some time for yourself to decompress.

Also wanted to echo the sentiment about GI upset... I'm far away but multiple ultrasounds I did last week and cases I'm consulting on this weekend are HGE/AHDS and gastroenteritis. Something must be going around!
Off the next 5 days and Mr. Bats has planned something unknown for tomorrow!

• Love
Lol, I am moving from Texas to California. This is my second out of state move.. yeah it'll be great :D
If your sentiments about Texas are anything like mine, we're both headed to greener pastures though 🫡

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just a suggestion...

1.) If you have the funds, I would recommend getting a coat that goes all the way to your knees. I love that thing for my Illinois/Wisconsin winters. Be sure to get some boots with good traction and walk slowly and "like a goose" on ice.

2.) Come prepared for winter driving if you plan to bring or buy a car there. Memorize what to do in a skid before it happens. (DON'T BRAKE.) Winter tires are great if you can afford them. I have never been able to afford them, so I don't know how necessary they are for winter city driving. If you plan to drive outside of the city itself, keep a shovel and some kitty litter (traction for the tires) in case you ever get stuck in a ditch. I don't want to scare you! I doubt you will ever get stuck in a ditch. That has never happened to me or anyone I know, but it can be very dangerous and it's better to be prepared in case of an emergency hence the shovel and cat litter. Get a ice pick for your car and keep it in there before you think you will need it. We get snow in October occasionally.

You'll be okay! Honestly, I have found the idea and planning for the out-of-state move to be more stressful than the actual day of the move.

I recommend bringing a bar of soap and some loose toilet paper (to save space) if this is a brand new apartment a roommate hasn't already moved into. I have made that mistake every time I have moved: moved the boxes in and had to use the bathroom only to realize there's no toilet paper. I leave a courtesy roll for the next tenant whenever I move out of a place, but not everyone does that.
I always make a "Day 1" box with everything I'm going to want to reach for the second I walk through the door. I usually put TP, hand soap, paper towels, and paper plates + utensils in there, plus things like a flashlight because some places can get dark fast before you get your lamps and such set up

Reactions: 8 users
Lol, I am moving from Texas to California. This is my second out of state move.. yeah it'll be great :D
I’m moving from California to London, luckily from Northern California so the weather will be almost the same lol

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I have been waiting for over a week for a doctor's office to call me back to schedule a procedure. I actually took a day off work to have it a couple weeks ago but we had to cancel five minutes in because they didn't notice a specific relevant drug allergy. (I will need premedication with prednisone because I am super allergic to this thing they can't avoid. They didn't notice it on my allergy list because I am also anaphylactic to a food that comes earlier in the alphabet.) I have been so glued to my cell phone that I have been putting it in my pocket to take it to the bathroom and trying to keep all of my other phone conversations as short as possible to avoid tying up the line.

They finally called the first time I have accidentally left my cell phone out of reach IN A WEEK. I just went to the basement to feed the cat.

I called back and the triage nurse is going to try to find the nurse who schedules these to call me.

I try not to complain, but I just feel very frustrated. :( I am afraid it is going to take another week. This means they will call me on vacation and take away from some of my fun by making me glued to my phone on vacation. I feel like I can't just return to my casual relationship with my cell phone where I answer it 70% of the time but I don't stress about it. This procedure won't happen at all if it can't get scheduled before June 30 (insurance).

Same-day ETA: I really appreciate you listening and the hugs. Something that really sucks about health problems is how isolating it can be, but I feel cared about right now and I appreciate that.

Friday ETA: So, I heard back and we went ahead and scheduled me for July (first available). They are going to call me if someone cancels. If not, I will have to wait awhile until my deductible is filled. I can't just fill my deductible right in July with this thing because the hospital doesn't allow payment plans beyond 3 months. I can't afford my deductible divided by three, so I am going to wait awhile and slowly fill the deductible with things that won't put me over my head like doctor's visits. That probably means I will be able to afford it next spring or summer. It stinks though because this is something that has been bothering me since this spring and I was hoping to get it taken care of soon.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m moving from California to London, luckily from Northern California so the weather will be almost the same lol
Honestly, if you don't mind me asking.. how is it going?? I can't imagine the stress you must be under.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, if you don't mind me asking.. how is it going?? I can't imagine the stress you must be under.
More stressful than I thought originally lol there’s a lot more that goes into moving if you’re doing it internationally. The money aspect is the most stressful, I have to pay a deposit, pay a fee to access the NHS, pay for a visa, ect. All these things you wouldn’t need to do if you were going to school in the US. I’m under a lot of stress right now but I don’t regret my decision, I just wished I knew a little more about what I was getting myself into a little earlier.
Things are falling into place bit by bit but I don’t think I’ll breathe a sigh of relief until I’m sitting down the first of classes and then I’ll have actual school to worry about 😂

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
My husbands grandparents ar egoing to be 87 and 88 next month. Their health is beginning to fail so we are sending him out to NYC as probably his last visit. As part of that we are sending his brother too. No big deal. Tonight I'm booking all the things and I ask hubs 2 single beds ok? He replies I didn't realize I was sharing a room with my brother...:bang:WTF did you think we were going to pay for him to have an entire room to himself for several days? NO. I know we both make decent money but we're not that rich. I still have student loans and a house to pay. IDK where his brain be because we talked about this before already🙃

Reactions: 2 users
I have been waiting for over a week for a doctor's office to call me back to schedule a procedure. I actually took a day off work to have it a couple weeks ago but we had to cancel five minutes in because they didn't notice a specific relevant drug allergy. (I will need premedication with prednisone because I am super allergic to this thing they can't avoid. They didn't notice it on my allergy list because I am also anaphylactic to a food that comes earlier in the alphabet.) I have been so glued to my cell phone that I have been putting it in my pocket to take it to the bathroom and trying to keep all of my other phone conversations as short as possible to avoid tying up the line.

They finally called the first time I have accidentally left my cell phone out of reach IN A WEEK. I just went to the basement to feed the cat.

I called back and the triage nurse is going to try to find the nurse who schedules these to call me.

I try not to complain, but I just feel very frustrated. :( I am afraid it is going to take another week. This means they will call me on vacation and take away from some of my fun by making me glued to my phone on vacation. I feel like I can't just return to my casual relationship with my cell phone where I answer it 70% of the time but I don't stress about it. This procedure won't happen at all if it can't get scheduled before June 30 (insurance).

Same-day ETA: I really appreciate you listening and the hugs. Something that really sucks about health problems is how isolating it can be, but I feel cared about right now and I appreciate that.

Friday ETA: So, I heard back and we went ahead and scheduled me for July (first available). They are going to call me if someone cancels. If not, I will have to wait awhile until my deductible is filled. I can't just fill my deductible right in July with this thing because the hospital doesn't allow payment plans beyond 3 months. I can't afford my deductible divided by three, so I am going to wait awhile and slowly fill the deductible with things that won't put me over my head like doctor's visits. That probably means I will be able to afford it next spring or summer. It stinks though because this is something that has been bothering me since this spring and I was hoping to get it taken care of soon.

Someone canceled and I am coming in next week. That was such a relief! I am so glad not to feel glued to my phone anymore.

Entitled clients.
Previously at our clinic they used to do almost 24/7 call. Well in the last 2 years as staff has dwindled and new has come in; on-call has decreasd to 8-8 on weekends and 6-8pm on weekdays. Currently all vets are pretty satisified and feel balanced with what we are doing. We are the only clinic that offers any sort of on call services for 2 hours (excluding once you get into KS-no body knows what happens over there 😅). ANYWAY I digress. Well there's this one client that I swear I have the "why aren't you doing on call 24/7" talk with EVERY TIME I see/ talk to them. Today I "lost it". I couldn't be the nice yada yada we're trying blah blah niceties.
I straight up told her no other profession expects you to work a full 40 hour week plus be an additional 80+ on call. It's also a patient safety issue. I was like we're the only clinic in the valley that offers any call services and she was like well those people just don't care I was like oh no they care you have no idea. Also trying to tell me we didn't recognize how much is sucks the nearest ER vet is 3 hours away. Then she was like well the last vets were "better" because they did on call all the time. And I told her yeah and part of the reason they're no longer here is because of that. Then she went on to go argue semantics with me that we shouldn't call ourselves a hospital. I said you're right if you want to argue semantics we are medical center and not a hospital.
I'm OVER it. People like her make me want to quit doing on call so they don't have any option but to drive 3 hours. Those people don't realize how much their complaining makes me want to do those things they want even LESS 🙄

Last edited:
  • Care
Kind of a pitiful rant...but have the ads on SDN gone crazy or what?

Don’t know if y’all remember my car troubles from before but guess what …

Someone just did a hit and run on this gals car. hell yeah brother B)

Todays newest feature:

Power steering system failure LOL

• Care
  • Wow
Entitled clients.
Previously at our clinic they used to do almost 24/7 call. Well in the last 2 years as staff has dwindled and new has come in; on-call has decreasd to 8-8 on weekends and 6-8pm on weekdays. Currently all vets are pretty satisified and feel balanced with what we are doing. We are the only clinic that offers any sort of on call services for 2 hours (excluding once you get into KS-no body knows what happens over there 😅). ANYWAY I digress. Well there's this one client that I swear I have the "why aren't you doing on call 24/7" talk with EVERY TIME I see/ talk to them. Today I "lost it". I couldn't be the nice yada yada we're trying blah blah niceties.
I straight up told her no other profession expects you to work a full 40 hour week plus be an additional 80+ on call. It's also a patient safety issue. I was like we're the only clinic in the valley that offers any call services and she was like well those people just don't care I was like oh no they care you have no idea. Also trying to tell me we didn't recognize how much is sucks the nearest ER vet is 3 hours away. Then she was like well the last vets were "better" because they did on call all the time. And I told her yeah and part of the reason they're no longer here is because of that. Then she went on to go argue semantics with me that we shouldn't call ourselves a hospital. I said you're right if you want to argue semantics we are medical center and not a hospital.
I'm OVER it. People like her make me want to quit doing on call so they don't have any option but to drive 3 hours. Those people don't realize how much their complaining makes me want to do those things they want even LESS 🙄
Her bills may or may not deserve an inconvenience fee for mental health impacts in the future.

The last month has been trash.

Internship got really rough over the last 2 months and the last month in particular has been awful. On top of that I have some pretty major financial issues going on compounded by the fact I found out this week I can’t actually import my car and will need to buy a new one (which in the current market will put me out several thousand I don’t have even with selling my current vehicle).

Then today I brought in my cat because she’s been having some non-specific signs for the last week. Turns out she likely has a ureteral obstruction and tomorrow after repeat labs/imaging I’m probably going to have to decide between placing a SUB (and all that entails) or considering the other options. She’s only 6.

• Care

Internship got really rough over the last 2 months and the last month in particular has been awful. On top of that I have some pretty major financial issues going on compounded by the fact I found out this week I can’t actually import my car and will need to buy a new one (which in the current market will put me out several thousand I don’t have even with selling my current vehicle).

Then today I brought in my cat because she’s been having some non-specific signs for the last week. Turns out she likely has a ureteral obstruction and tomorrow after repeat labs/imaging I’m probably going to have to decide between placing a SUB (and all that entails) or considering the other options. She’s only 6.
Boooo kitty.

For what it's worth, while the studies say it's trash... I've been successful with medical management of ureteral stones twice, and am in an online cat CE right now where the facilitator (who is ABVP feline) agreed that she's often much more successful than the papers say she should be. We discussed the potential for likely referral hospital bias with them.

Nausea meds, pain meds, fluids +/- prazosin and time, w/ serial ultrasound monitoring. Obviously much more guarded if there's evidence of little kidney/big kidney or she's hyperkalemic or whatnot, but SUBs are a huge freaking commitment both financially and general follow-up wise. :( I hate that she's sick so young.

We will see Monday I guess. Looks exactly like the solar induced hyperplasia that was on his scrotum. Just weird it popped up so fast? If he could stop growing all these things it would be great, but I guess I should just be grateful they’ve all been benign so far 😩
More actinic keratosis 🙏🏻 Glad I removed it though. He is now wearing uv protective clothing and sunscreen daily.
Pet tax

Attachments

• 56885953-5E9B-4368-A719-33F900D38544.jpeg
    56885953-5E9B-4368-A719-33F900D38544.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 71E21F1D-8886-4C14-A942-5A067EFCA65A.jpeg
    71E21F1D-8886-4C14-A942-5A067EFCA65A.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
More actinic keratosis 🙏🏻 Glad I removed it though. He is now wearing uv protective clothing and sunscreen daily.
Pet tax
THOSE JAMMIES ARE PHENOMENAL 🤩

• Haha
What part of “please give me some space” do partners not understand? I don’t want to be bombarded by text messages every hour asking if I’m okay, need food or if they can come see me. I want to be left alone because I’m so angry from work and life in general that having no alone time because my partner wants to come over every day is so draining. I feel like a jerk for saying no to things because I know I’ll get guilt gripped for it.

• Care

Boooo kitty.

For what it's worth, while the studies say it's trash... I've been successful with medical management of ureteral stones twice, and am in an online cat CE right now where the facilitator (who is ABVP feline) agreed that she's often much more successful than the papers say she should be. We discussed the potential for likely referral hospital bias with them.

Nausea meds, pain meds, fluids +/- prazosin and time, w/ serial ultrasound monitoring. Obviously much more guarded if there's evidence of little kidney/big kidney or she's hyperkalemic or whatnot, but SUBs are a huge freaking commitment both financially and general follow-up wise. :( I hate that she's sick so young.
She was doing worse clinically and ultrasonographically today, and on ultrasound our radiologist saw no evidence of a stone and was fairly confident it was a stricture.

I was initially going to try medical management for another 24 hours just in case, but she became very painful and we weren't going to be able to keep her comfortable so I didn't think it was fair and euthanized her this evening. A SUB just wasn't doable.

F*cking sucks. At least my remaining cat hates being an only child and is being super affectionate tonight.

To top it off I was working all through today's events and my consult (on a service that doesn't typically involve a lot of euthanasia) ended up being a euthanasia of a very young dog with nice owners.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
I saw a cat for "open mouth breathing" that rDVM had seen and thrown the kitchen sink at (old vet that literally everything gets tx with B12, dex, and some injectable abx). P comes to me and o oks all the things. P is not open mouth breathing and is instead just sitting with his tongue out of his mouth. P has hyperglobulinemia and resorptive lesion of 308 visible on catogram. On oral exam p has gingivitis and a bad 308 and an ulceration under the tongue. Clearly p has stomatitis. I discuss all the recommendations-full mouth extraction through dentist vs staged dentals and extractions here vs medical management if dentals and extractions are not affordable for o. Also discussed that medical management can usually get p more comfortable and eating again and that I have MANY p doing well on medical management. Sent home with magic mouth wash and NSAIDs to start at the end of the week after the dex has time to wash out. Recommended soft food. Even showed o area of resorptive lesion on rads. The same day they took him back to the first DVM and EUTHANIZED him. They didn't even give him a chance or even try my drugs. Supposedly the rDVM did a necropsy and found a mass in the throat and "didn't see what I was talking" about on rads (who knows when the last time he actually has ever look at xrays):rolleyes:. I'm not saying the p couldn't have had a mass but it was not visable on rads or felt on PE. I just feel so bad for the poor cat, he didn't even have a chance. Like why did you even bother to come to my clinic and pay $$$ just to kill him when the first dvm could've done that from the start. I'm also salty because the rDVM is this person's uncle and that's the only reason why I feel like they valued his opinion at all. If anything at least the poor cat's mouth doesn't hurt any more. I'm so mad for the poor cat.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Took a phone call from an upset client and it reinforced how I will never, ever be in management 😅

• Care
She was doing worse clinically and ultrasonographically today, and on ultrasound our radiologist saw no evidence of a stone and was fairly confident it was a stricture.

I was initially going to try medical management for another 24 hours just in case, but she became very painful and we weren't going to be able to keep her comfortable so I didn't think it was fair and euthanized her this evening. A SUB just wasn't doable.

F*cking sucks. At least my remaining cat hates being an only child and is being super affectionate tonight.

To top it off I was working all through today's events and my consult (on a service that doesn't typically involve a lot of euthanasia) ended up being a euthanasia of a very young dog with nice owners.
I'm so sorry. :(

• Sad
Just need to scream into the void today. I'm in a VERY small GP practice and between abusive clients, clients that come in with critical patients and expect me to fix it with my incredibly limited resources (no ultrasound, no 24/7 care, very limited support staff etc.), recent refusals to euthanize things that really need it, and recent increase in euthanasia appointments for things I could save if the client was willing to spend money (blocked cats, diabetics, pyometras, etc.), and people I bend over backwards for who still decline care....I would so love to just leave the profession all together. It was a 1 doctor practice for so long before I joined anything I do even slightly different from the other vet also gets major pushback from the support staff. GP was never my goal...I wound up where I am because it had the best option location wise for my husband to keep his job, but I am so burned out. I'm just tired.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Do any of y’all ever feel lost. Like I know I want to work with animals and go to vet school but the climb to get there just feels so steep?

Just need to scream into the void today. I'm in a VERY small GP practice and between abusive clients, clients that come in with critical patients and expect me to fix it with my incredibly limited resources (no ultrasound, no 24/7 care, very limited support staff etc.), recent refusals to euthanize things that really need it, and recent increase in euthanasia appointments for things I could save if the client was willing to spend money (blocked cats, diabetics, pyometras, etc.), and people I bend over backwards for who still decline care....I would so love to just leave the profession all together. It was a 1 doctor practice for so long before I joined anything I do even slightly different from the other vet also gets major pushback from the support staff. GP was never my goal...I wound up where I am because it had the best option location wise for my husband to keep his job, but I am so burned out. I'm just tired.
If you're willing to make the jump to full time ER and youre located near me, my hospital group is hiring and it's the best move I could have made. My quality of life compared to when I was in GP is phenomenal. I can spit ball ideas for you as well if you want to message me. With how the associate market is, there's no reason to stay at a bad practice if youre in the right area.

And now as an ER doctor, I 100% support GPs stabilizing a critical patient and sending it our way. Y'all ain't paid enough for that on top of the hustle of GP. Set your boundaries with your clients to save your sanity.
Do any of y’all ever feel lost. Like I know I want to work with animals and go to vet school but the climb to get there just feels so steep?
The vet school climb is rough, especially if you are a repeat applicant or had hiccups along the way. No shame in taking a bit of a break from school/ECs, whatever.

Reactions: 6 users
If you're willing to make the jump to full time ER and youre located near me, my hospital group is hiring and it's the best move I could have made. My quality of life compared to when I was in GP is phenomenal. I can spit ball ideas for you as well if you want to message me. With how the associate market is, there's no reason to stay at a bad practice if youre in the right area.

And now as an ER doctor, I 100% support GPs stabilizing a critical patient and sending it our way. Y'all ain't paid enough for that on top of the hustle of GP. Set your boundaries with your clients to save your sanity.

The vet school climb is rough, especially if you are a repeat applicant or had hiccups along the way. No shame in taking a bit of a break from school/ECs, whatever.
Thank you for responding! Sometimes I just feel so alone! Hoping to take a trip to Europe, just wish it wasn't so expensive ahaha

• Care
Thank you for responding! Sometimes I just feel so alone! Hoping to take a trip to Europe, just wish it wasn't so expensive ahaha
I had to apply twice and would've had to do a third-- second cycle I applied six places and was rejected everywhere but one. Buttttt the one waitlisted and then accepted me.
It is brutal. It was a sledgehammer to my self esteem, honestly. But! I'm starting in the fall and it's an awesome feeling.

Reactions: 8 users

Like @battie says, no reason to stay in a bad place with the job market like it is. I stayed at my first job for far longer than I ever should have and it was an immense relief to go elsewhere.

I too ended up in GP unintentionally after failing to match; I was in SA GP/exotics for five years before finding my current position that I love so much. I was still able to find fulfillment and enjoyment and challenge (the good kind) despite all the usual crap parts of it. But your job and its culture will absolutely dictate if you can make that happen. Don’t be afraid to try elsewhere within the same region if at all possible.

Reactions: 6 users
I had to apply twice and would've had to do a third-- second cycle I applied six places and was rejected everywhere but one. Buttttt the one waitlisted and then accepted me.
It is brutal. It was a sledgehammer to my self esteem, honestly. But! I'm starting in the fall and it's an awesome feeling.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!! :)

• Love
If you were surprised by a result you received on your dog, I’ve heard Dr. Keller is really responsive and willing to talk over results and why they received the grading they did. I thought about contacting him because my dog’s prelims were graded more harshly than I expected (he got a Fair in prelims at a year and everyone else I’d shown excepted med go Good), but his final films at 2 were Good so I never did.

If the issue is something like a dog from ‘passing’ parents failing and having evidence of dysplasia, it’s important to remember this isn’t a crystal ball it’s just a management tool we use to try to minimize risk but joint dysplasia is a complex issue and normal parents can produce dysplastic puppies. It sucks, it isn’t what ethical breeders want to see, and it’s what we’re trying to avoid by testing, but it does happen sometimes.

Last edited:
  • Care
If you were surprised by a result you received on your dog, I’ve heard Dr. Keller is really responsive and willing to talk over results and why they received the grading they did. I thought about contacting him because my dog’s prelims were graded more harshly than I expected (he got a Fair in prelims at a year and everyone else I’d shown excepted med go Good), but his final films at 2 were Good so I never did.

If the issue is something like a dog from ‘passing’ parents failing and having evidence of dysplasia, it’s important to remember this isn’t a crystal ball it’s just a management tool we use to try to minimize risk but joint dysplasia is a complex issue and normal parents can produce dysplastic puppies. It sucks, it isn’t what ethical breeders want to see, and it’s what we’re trying to avoid by testing, but it does happen sometimes.
My issue is the opposite tbh. His gait is abnormal and looking at the radiographs as well as consulting with like ten different vets (I'm not vet but his radiographs are weird) I was not expecting him to get "good" and I'm frankly shocked because his regular vet diagnosed him with hip dysplasia. I was expecting him to come back with mild on the left and moderate on the right. It's... a long story, but frankly looking at his x-rays I'm shocked because I think they're... not terrible, but good seems like a stretch.

Also, they emailed a report to my vet this morning but I never got a report. I only knew his results were in because I've been stalking the OFA website and found him through his mother. So I'm kinda irritated they never sent me the report in addition to my befuddlement over the hip situation.

• Care
Not that I want him to be dysplastic, but his gait is incredibly abnormal (he walks like a cowboy) and has been since he was a puppy. And everyone that's looked at his radiographs has been pretty negative (realistically) about them so this is very shocking to me.

• Care
That’s definitely frustrating. I can’t really add a lot because it probably veers too closely to medical advice for SDN but my general not medical advice comments would be to remember that final OFA scoring (if done over 2 years of age) is a consensus opinion from three boarded radiologists but does only evaluate bony joint conformation at one moment in time, it doesn’t take other factors like laxity into account in the way that other tests like PennHip do. I’m not saying one test is better or worse just that there’s limitations like with any test we do.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s definitely frustrating. I can’t really add a lot because it probably veers too closely to medical advice for SDN but my general not medical advice comments would be to remember that final OFA scoring (if done over 2 years of age) is a consensus opinion from three boarded radiologists but does only evaluate bony joint conformation at one moment in time, it doesn’t take other factors like laxity into account in the way that other tests like PennHip do. I’m not saying one test is better or worse just that there’s limitations like with any test we do.
I would love to get him PennHIP'd at some point. I'm also moving over 1000 miles north in about a month so... Probably not the best use of funds at this point in time.
He's under two. I'm not sure how that affects the process. My vet said they had three radiologists confer on his rads I guess.
Hopefully I'll work somewhere next summer that gives me a big discount and I can PennHIP and get him re OFA'd.