RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, they emailed a report to my vet this morning but I never got a report. I only knew his results were in because I've been stalking the OFA website and found him through his mother. So I'm kinda irritated they never sent me the report in addition to my befuddlement over the hip situation.

Maybe you've already done this but did you check your spam folder? When they emailed me results, it went to spam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We euthanized my (really my husband's) dog last Monday and this morning my grandfather died. I'm also 38 weeks pregnant, getting hardly any sleep, and incredibly uncomfortable in my body (so much heartburn and pelvic pain). So now I'm sobbing on and off all day and no idea how or if I'd be able to get to the funeral.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been dealing with a problem within my school's financial office since February of this year and I'm just so utterly in disbelief that it isn't resolved yet. I took some extra money to cover living expenses separate from financial aid that has a pay-off date of 3 years post graduation. Essentially, they processed it wrong and keep billing for the full amount. I've been told it was fixed twice and to just be patient and (for some reason) the due date wouldn't update until after graduation. Well it never updated after graduation and I'm still being billed. The person at the office (who is apparently the manager and there isn't anyone higher up) keeps telling me to "be patient" (considering it's been 4 months I think the patience period is over). A lawyer suggested I contact an ombudsman (never heard of that before) but the school has one who so far is being nice and helpful.

I don't know if other schools are this incompetent. My undergrad certainly wasn't this way.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
I don't know if other schools are this incompetent.
If it's any consolation, my school literally lost the agreements with the dual degree students for what happens with our tuition, and had to ask me if I still had a copy of it because they didn't.

It's incredibly frustrating and I'm sorry you're still having to deal with that.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Today, I cried over how much money it would take to fix my car. I’m so thankful to have a family who can help cover some of the costs. I just hate asking them

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Today, I cried over how much money it would take to fix my car. I’m so thankful to have a family who can help cover some of the costs. I just hate asking them
Trust me…I feel your pain :( <3 so sorry

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Frenchies and their people who think they should be bred make me want to quit the profession.
A client just came in with her brachycephalic syndrome, allergic to everything, chronic skin and ear infections, highly aggressive Frenchie proud it was pregnant and angry at us for saying we couldn’t do cytopoint (she will look bad to the buyers all red and gross!) on her because she was pregnant……

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been dealing with a problem within my school's financial office since February of this year and I'm just so utterly in disbelief that it isn't resolved yet. I took some extra money to cover living expenses separate from financial aid that has a pay-off date of 3 years post graduation. Essentially, they processed it wrong and keep billing for the full amount. I've been told it was fixed twice and to just be patient and (for some reason) the due date wouldn't update until after graduation. Well it never updated after graduation and I'm still being billed. The person at the office (who is apparently the manager and there isn't anyone higher up) keeps telling me to "be patient" (considering it's been 4 months I think the patience period is over). A lawyer suggested I contact an ombudsman (never heard of that before) but the school has one who so far is being nice and helpful.

I don't know if other schools are this incompetent. My undergrad certainly wasn't this way.
Well, if it makes you feel better, yes 😅

I have had an incredible amount of problems with my school because of straight incompetence. Every two to three months, the school has an absolute meltdown (and makes it my problem) because they can't figure something out with my federal work study job, whether it's what department I'm supposed to be under, who my supervisor is, where my funds are coming from, or something else entirely - they're getting creative.

One time I logged into my account to record my hours and it said "EMPLOYEE TERMINATED." It was because someone in the chain, yet again, didn't think I was an employee for some reason and didn't renew my employment when 2022 ended. Then it took a mile long email chain with over a dozen people cced to resolve the issue because no one could figure out what the problem was, let alone how to fix it. And then they tried to tell me I had to redo my employment paperwork all from scratch. (I refused, and they eventually figured it out)

In the process of fixing that, they accidentally hired me twice under two different supervisors, and then later contacted me asking me why I hadn't been submitting my hours. I was. But they were only looking under the incorrect supervisor. Cue another meltdown as they tried to figure out which supervisor I was actually supposed to be under. Then cue another meltdown shortly after that because each supervisor was part of a different program and they didn't know which program I was actually supposed to be under. I've been employed by the school for a year and a half and I've had these exact problems repeated regularly ever since I was hired, so you'd think they would have figured it out by now.

Oh, and the financial aid office lost a scholarship check of mine for two thousand dollars, and didn't find it until eight months later.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
My last day of work before I move is coming up in about a week and a half. I'm ready, but it's bittersweet.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Is it normal to feel extremely anxious before starting vet school?? For the past few years, I've been working towards getting into vet school. Now that I'm actually about to start, I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm questioning whether this is the career path for me (not because of any specific event. I'm feeling the weight of all the change that's about to come). I also feel VERY overwhelmed by the workload that I know is coming soon and questioning if I will be able to handle it in a healthy way. Have any others felt a similar way before they started vet school?

ps. I don't mean to sound ungrateful because I definitely appreciate the fact that I got into vet school.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Is it normal to feel extremely anxious before starting vet school?? For the past few years, I've been working towards getting into vet school. Now that I'm actually about to start, I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm questioning whether this is the career path for me (not because of any specific event. I'm feeling the weight of all the change that's about to come). I also feel VERY overwhelmed by the workload that I know is coming soon and questioning if I will be able to handle it in a healthy way. Have any others felt a similar way before they started vet school?

ps. I don't mean to sound ungrateful because I definitely appreciate the fact that I got into vet school.
It’s a major life change, some anxiety is totally normal! You’ll adapt, you’ve got this. Try connecting with the things that made you so sure of doing this in the first place. If these doubts are just coming up now or you have a tendency to always second-guess everything, I would assume they’re nerves, if they’re doubts you always have that have become more urgent you should explore that - is there anything else you could see yourself doing?

Reactions: 3 users
Who else likes a DOA 1 yr old dystocia showing up with dead or dying fetuses where you have to finish them off?

Who else likes euthanizing the meanest cat alive and not one, but two catheters blowing, doing a heart stick with ultrasound, and she still taking 7 minutes to die 1.5 hours after the end of your shift?

#heckinrude

Let's especially never do the first one ever again.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Feeling frustrated. At one point I felt optimistic.

I applied to vet school this year as my first cycle and got waitlisted #3 at my instate VMCVM

They have pulled ZERO people from the waitlist. They sent out an email that it would be unlikely to get pulled at this point but historically they have had spots open due to last minute circumstances or students accepting at two schools.

It seems like every other year it has at least moved one spot and it’s so unfair that I’m so close yet so far away. And everyone thought I would for sure get pulled.

It’s also frustrating because i was told by the admissions director at a folder review that i do not need to change anything about my application.

I know i have an exceptional shot at getting in next year but still it’s so frustrating that ANY OTHER YEAR i would have gotten in I just happened to be “unlucky” or whatever this year and the numbers weren’t in my favor.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
We had an old cat come in that was a tame feral, first time at the vet and as a result so stressed out and fractious af, O elected to euth, as we are trying to give it ace to calm it down to place a catheter it freaks out, bites me and dies…it’s last act on this earth
We had a tech get bitten during euthanasia sedation by an old unvaccinated cat, but at least he was a house pet…sheesh. Of course that was one the owners wanted to take the body home and I was like uhhh…..But we handled it gracefully and it was not rabid.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
We had a tech get bitten during euthanasia sedation by an old unvaccinated cat, but at least he was a house pet…sheesh. Of course that was one the owners wanted to take the body home and I was like uhhh…..But we handled it gracefully and it was not rabid.
A volunteer was bitten when extubating a dog (it had started chewing and I guess she put her fingers in his mouth). Super sweet dog and he barely got her but still broke skin. I felt terrible taking him to rabies observation and I think she also felt terrible.
But pretty sure he got adopted like immediately out of RO anyhow, as well he should've.

• Love
Who loves 6 weeks of physical therapy for a mysterious thumb injury? Me, hopefully. They made me walk over to schedule my first appointment right after my 6 week follow up. Which is always a lovely sign. What I do not love is feeling similar pain in my other hand. And when all my big joints hurt, don't love that one either.

Is it work stress? Maybe. Could it be something else? Also maybe. I know I'm in my 'getting diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder' prime. And maybe my anxiety + fatigue has a more unified root cause? Because it sure seems more likely especially when my meds are working well.
I'm also naturally very hypermobile in like all my joints so it's probably good to get a relationship going with PT anyway. I'll probably need them for my knees and/or hips eventually.

• Care
I'm also naturally very hypermobile in like all my joints so it's probably good to get a relationship going with PT anyway. I'll probably need them for my knees and/or hips eventually.
Do you have ehlers Danlos👀

(Also there’s 2 PTs Amber and Amy at the carle north annex location that are well aware about hypermobile joints and ehlers Danlos if you are in need of someone who has a bit more knowledge about hypermobility and what our joints should and should not do because of it)

Do you have ehlers Danlos👀

(Also there’s 2 PTs Amber and Amy at the carle north annex location that are well aware about hypermobile joints and ehlers Danlos if you are in need of someone who has a bit more knowledge about hypermobility and what our joints should and should not do because of it)
You're the second person to ask that when I mention hypermobility. It's not necessarily outside the realm of possibility. Bodies be weird.

• Care
You're the second person to ask that when I mention hypermobility. It's not necessarily outside the realm of possibility. Bodies be weird.
I have hypermobile Ehlers Danlos (and so do my mom and sister) so I’m always curious whenever I hear someone mention hypermobility 😂 I also found out one of the other doctors at work has Ehlers Danlos too (idk what type) so it’s an exciting time when I find people 😂😂😂

I got Covid (from visiting my sister curse her!) for the first time after making it 3 years untouched :( I was mega sick day one with a raging fever but now I just sort of feel bleh. At least it was before school starts up again.

• Care
I have hypermobile Ehlers Danlos (and so do my mom and sister) so I’m always curious whenever I hear someone mention hypermobility 😂 I also found out one of the other doctors at work has Ehlers Danlos too (idk what type) so it’s an exciting time when I find people 😂😂😂
I did some digging into hypermobility generally and am kinda shocked at how much it's connected (hehe) to. I was really surprised at the anxiety stats I saw. Like I knew anxiety had many biological causes, especially once you cross over into the many different disorders, but having there also be a link to hypermobility feels like solving a puzzle!

And also thinking back at what my grandma went through and wondering if she could have had EDS. She passed away almost 9 years ago so we'll never know, but it's something to ponder.

I did some digging into hypermobility generally and am kinda shocked at how much it's connected (hehe) to. I was really surprised at the anxiety stats I saw. Like I knew anxiety had many biological causes, especially once you cross over into the many different disorders, but having there also be a link to hypermobility feels like solving a puzzle!

And also thinking back at what my grandma went through and wondering if she could have had EDS. She passed away almost 9 years ago so we'll never know, but it's something to ponder.
Yeah there’s so many different things that are fairly common with ehlers Danlos like different types of dysautonomia where your autonomic nervous system is hot garbage. I haven’t brought it up with a dr yet (lol because I still have not found a new GP where I live now) but I likely have some dysautonomia (POTS is a very common one with EDS but not the only one) and heat intolerance where I straight up get sick if I get too hot (super great). My mom thinks that her mom also probably had it too but she died in 89 or 90 iirc so definitely not able to ask or get her diagnosed or anything

Yeah there’s so many different things that are fairly common with ehlers Danlos like different types of dysautonomia where your autonomic nervous system is hot garbage. I haven’t brought it up with a dr yet (lol because I still have not found a new GP where I live now) but I likely have some dysautonomia (POTS is a very common one with EDS but not the only one) and heat intolerance where I straight up get sick if I get too hot (super great). My mom thinks that her mom also probably had it too but she died in 89 or 90 iirc so definitely not able to ask or get her diagnosed or anything
GERD! I get such bad GERD flairs, but no one ever bothers to put it together in context with everything else. I think I had a little bit of an POTS/general cardio exploration when I was like 17, but nothing came from that.

Honestly solving the fatigue issues would be the most helpful thing too. Like my SSRIs are doing great! It's so hard to explain too, like I'm not tired I just feel like I have no energy.

I would really love just an overarching cause for these things! It would just be easier for everyone rather than coincidentally having 6 different health issues (not that it isn't possible, just feels wrong).

• Care
I'm very grateful I got into vet school, but now that I'm staring down orientation I am terrified.
I don't interact with large groups the best and I am absolutely petrified I'll make a terrible impression on my classmates to start with.

• Care
A human patient accidentally hurt me today. I have "bad joints". (There is extra story there, but I just say bad joints because joint pain in my hand and hip tends to be a problem on a day-to-day basis. My hand tends to be the most problematic.) A large, surprisingly very strong man grabbed them and pulled himself up on my hands. I wasn't expecting it because he likes to gently hold hands and I thought that was all he was doing. I couldn't let him go because he is a high fall risk who isn't supposed to be getting up out of his chair. I yelled for help but it took a few minutes for someone to come help. II tried to redirect him, but I was in so much pain at that point that I couldn't quite think straight. He squeezed the living daylights out of my bad hand for five minutes. It hurt so badly and still does. I don't even like firm handshakes. I feel awful about complaining, but oof.

Ouch. :grumpy:

Last edited:
  • Care
I'm very grateful I got into vet school, but now that I'm staring down orientation I am terrified.
I don't interact with large groups the best and I am absolutely petrified I'll make a terrible impression on my classmates to start with.

You're so charming on SDN. I am confident you are going to do well. :) I think it's harder to make a bad impression than people think.

You're so charming on SDN. I am confident you are going to do well. :) I think it's harder to make a bad impression than people think.
Thank you, but I struggle in person a lot of the time and am quite reserved. I do much better when I can type my thoughts and have time to form them. Instant response is way harder haha, people usually don't like to watch me buffer in real time

• Care
Thank you, but I struggle in person a lot of the time and am quite reserved. I do much better when I can type my thoughts and have time to form them. Instant response is way harder haha, people usually don't like to watch me buffer in real time

I get that. I am a lot more confident on the Internet too. I think a lot of people are.

• Care
Omg I hate the people who still want to take the headless body home to bury… like you’ll have to wait til rabies test is back in a lot of jurisdictions. And also, please for the love of god do NOT unwrap it.

If it’s any consolation, I felt this way about GOALE as well and then had a truly wonderful time at it. UMN is very conscientious of making it comfortable for the introverts and extroverts too. There are some large group things, but most of it is small groups and then the social activities in the evening have a range from EXTROVERT TIME to introverts in the same room not really talking if they don’t want to you don’t have to interact with anyone at all if you need to just be alone and recharge.

I dreaded GOALE as a first year and then had such a great time at it that I stayed involved with it for a few bonus years to help out.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a personal rant, but a rant against public opinion.

A local shelter is getting flack for a dog that a family relinquished after it bit their sleeping child in the face. The dog is on a bite hold that ended yesterday. People are overwhelmingly upset at the prospect of the dog being potentially euthanized today. The shelter (county/city run) is getting a ton of vitriol.

It's so irritating. If that dog were to be adopted out and it bites another child, the shelter would lose. But if they euthanize it, they lose.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users

A local shelter is getting flack for a dog that a family relinquished after it bit their sleeping child in the face. The dog is on a bite hold that ended yesterday. People are overwhelmingly upset at the prospect of the dog being potentially euthanized today. The shelter (county/city run) is getting a ton of vitriol.

It's so irritating. If that dog were to be adopted out and it bites another child, the shelter would lose. But if they euthanize it, they lose.

Reading the horror stories on VIN, and having seen some of the animals that get adopted out even to homes with no children or pets, it’s honestly awful.

I hate this story so much. It has so many missing holes and incomplete information.
The original story is the kid jumped on the sleeping dog and the dog got startled awake and bit him in the face. Other stories say the dog bit the sleeping child.

Also, this isn't the first time the dog has bit this child.
There are also some articles hinting that there may be other behavioral problems with this particular dog.

So many stories and no one wants to clarify what is accurate and what is not.

I think the parents are to blame in this case. The original statement was that the child jumped on the sleeping dog. That is not the dog's fault. That is a failure of the parents. However, dog biting sleeping child vs. child jumping on sleeping dog and getting bit are two VERY different circumstances that should have two very different considerations.

I think there is a ton missing from this whole situation. Having said that, this isn't up for public opinion. The public does not have all the information on what happened, what behavioral issues are present, severity of the two bites the dog has already done, etc. This does not involve the public, at this time. This is a conversation that should be happening between the shelter, the rescue and the owner and the best option for public safety is what should be considered.

If the dog is not euthanized and placed, then it becomes a concern for the public as if the dog does have severe behavioral problems, this can open up the public in that region to harm.

The problem is society has been so brainwashed into the "save them all" mentality they can't recognize the danger. I don't know how to reverse this idea that shelters/rescues and in some cases veterinary medicine have placed on society that any dog can be "saved" no matter how dangerous. I don't know how to get people to recognize the seriousness of having a dangerous dog out in public.

Reactions: 10 users
Me wondering if anyone is actually working at home depot considering I'm still waiting for a representive 30 minutes later...I really need an oven and the internet wont let me buy any of them for pick up. I wonder if I drove there if I'd find someone in person before they pick up the phone...theyve got 1.5 hours :unsure:
ETA: A total of 1 hour to get someone who could help me on the phone:dead:

Last edited:
  • Care
My boyfriend just got attacked by a squirrel and will probably have to go to the hospital for the rabies vaccine. And all I can think is why couldn’t it be me?? I need the rabies more

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
My boyfriend just got attacked by a squirrel and will probably have to go to the hospital for the rabies vaccine. And all I can think is why couldn’t it be me?? I need the rabies more
I mean…can they prove you didn’t also get bit trying to save him? Joking. Mostly.

But from what I remember prophylactic vaccines are a lot easier on the patient than post-exposure.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users