RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my second cycle applying and my mom has been absolutely ruining the idea of vet school for me. I have always wanted to be a vet but she is constantly asking things and doing things that I have set boundaries avo it and she just doesn’t listen to me. She even called a school to ask them questions without my knowledge. and then she guilt trips me or manipulated me by saying things like “i’m sure there’s so many other pre vet students who wish their mom would help them..” and i just cannot take it anymore. It is to the point where i nearly want to pull my applications because i’m afraid this incessant nagging about any and all things related to vet med will not end even after i get into vet school. If anyone has thoughts/advice I would love to hear it
your mom needs to go on an information diet. no news until you're ready to share. change the subject when she brings it up, and if she persists, then time to leave the room/house or end the phone call. repeat until she gets it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
To me biochem was the hardest prerequisite. What was the average, there may be hope of a curve? My own biochem class back then was significantly curved due to low averages. Everyone says this but it really does help: office hours and practice practice practice. You’ve got this!
Just got my grade back. I GOT AN 80 (sorry if this is moving it into rave territory). Class average was a lot lower so he's allowing test corrections as well.

I have no idea how that happened. I'm half tempted to ask the prof if he mixed up my test answers which someone else.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
We’ve had many farewell parties at work lately. I can’t wait till one of them is mine. As it stands, my location is probably going to see a complete turnover in staff over the next 6 months - including all of the doctors. Corporate came in to do a “how can we help you” type meeting last month and essentially offered no real support, the gist of the meeting being “you’ll have to find what works for you.” The one thing we asked repeatedly for was an increase in pay/ retention bonuses for our one tech and an assistant who had been with the practice for years. These are our last trained support staff who can assist with anesthesia. They offered the assistant a higher position (more stress and work since we have a part time PM) with a fifty cent pay raise.

Obviously, she found a better job in the field and I’m very happy for her. Now we’re at a point where we can only do limited surgeries or we’ll have to have another doctor run anesthesia. We’re going to lose so much money as a clinic because corporate didn’t want to pay someone a couple more dollars an hour. Nonsense. Utter ****ing nonsense.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
we’ll have to have another doctor run anesthesia.
What a ****ing waste of time and money. The corporate is going to lose so much money. As a doctor, I'd leave if this was the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Posting because I just need an outlet. 1st time applicant, and I decided to take a gap year in between veterinary school and undergrad. This year has been extremely draining because I moved to a new area all by myself, and I still don't have friends and all I do is work at a mentally-draining job and where they don't even support me going to veterinary school. That's besides the point, but since submitting my applications is August, I am starting to drive myself crazy. Every single day I get calls from my parents about if I've heard from schools. I have received some interviews; however, recently got my first rejection. I ended up telling my parents about the rejection, in which they stated "that's like getting rejected from a fast food restaurant". I have never had a great relationship with my parents, and maybe they meant it as a joke, but after all these years that just hurts after putting in all of this work. They then proceed to ask me "What are your plans for next year?" As they don't believe I get in anywhere. I understand you need to have a backup plan in case you don't get in; however, they are so discouraging. I am so extremely nervous because within the next few weeks my in-state decisions will come out, and if I get rejected, not only will I be extremely upset, but my parents will make it so much worse. Anyways, sorry for the rant, I just needed to let it out to like-minded individuals that know what this process is like. It has been so exhausting and I am just at a loss of what to do while I wait for my future to unfold.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Posting because I just need an outlet. 1st time applicant, and I decided to take a gap year in between veterinary school and undergrad. This year has been extremely draining because I moved to a new area all by myself, and I still don't have friends and all I do is work at a mentally-draining job and where they don't even support me going to veterinary school. That's besides the point, but since submitting my applications is August, I am starting to drive myself crazy. Every single day I get calls from my parents about if I've heard from schools. I have received some interviews; however, recently got my first rejection. I ended up telling my parents about the rejection, in which they stated "that's like getting rejected from a fast food restaurant". I have never had a great relationship with my parents, and maybe they meant it as a joke, but after all these years that just hurts after putting in all of this work. They then proceed to ask me "What are your plans for next year?" As they don't believe I get in anywhere. I understand you need to have a backup plan in case you don't get in; however, they are so discouraging. I am so extremely nervous because within the next few weeks my in-state decisions will come out, and if I get rejected, not only will I be extremely upset, but my parents will make it so much worse. Anyways, sorry for the rant, I just needed to let it out to like-minded individuals that know what this process is like. It has been so exhausting and I am just at a loss of what to do while I wait for my future to unfold.
Boundaries right meow. If they're going to be negative, they don't need to be part of the discussion. Tell them they need to consider their words and how they want to support you. If they continue to be negative, you will no longer discuss vet school stuff with them.

Reactions: 11 users
Boundaries right meow. If they're going to be negative, they don't need to be part of the discussion. Tell them they need to consider their words and how they want to support you. If they continue to be negative, you will no longer discuss vet school stuff with them.
Totally agree with this. Your parents need to be put on an information diet. Even if they aren't intentionally trying to be discouraging, it doesn't change their impact. This process and this field is hard enough as it is. Good luck to you with this cycle. You can do it!

I might have to leave the job I love so I can get health insurance. I've been jumping back in forth between full-time and part-time over the past two years (because of school). Usually things shift around 2-3x a year and I get to be full-time whenever I want but it seems like this winter it's pretty steady.

I'm fine with being part time. However, I need health insurance between the gap of turning 26 and starting vet school in August. I don't have any noteworthy conditions that I specifically need it for but knowing my luck I would get appendicitis or hit my head or something while uninsured.

I might have to leave the job I love so I can get health insurance. I've been jumping back in forth between full-time and part-time over the past two years (because of school). Usually things shift around 2-3x a year and I get to be full-time whenever I want but it seems like this winter it's pretty steady.

I'm fine with being part time. However, I need health insurance between the gap of turning 26 and starting vet school in August. I don't have any noteworthy conditions that I specifically need it for but knowing my luck I would get appendicitis or hit my head or something while uninsured.
I'm pretty sure you can get temporary health insurance if you can afford it. When my boyfriend got a new job and his benefits didn't start until after 3 months in, he paid for temporary health insurance in the meantime. I think it was around $250 a month.

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely triple check with your insurance. Some people get kicked off the month they turn 26, but for my parents insurance, I got to keep it through the end of the year and had turned 26 in March. Otherwise, you should be able to get insurance through marketplace or something for the time between when you lose it and get school insurance if changing jobs isn’t that feasible or if you need it sooner than you’d be eligible with a new job. Sometimes they offer it after your first full month, but usually starts on the 1st so depending on when you start it could be longer than 30 days before getting it.

One thing that really worked for me with setting boundaries about updates is making a Google sheet that I update pretty frequently. I made it view only for people who have a link to it and I put when decisions are supposed to come out and rejections/acceptances/interviews when they come in. If anyone asks me I tell them to check the sheet! It also saved me from having to announce my first rejection

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone taken any of these courses at UCSD Extension? If so, would you be willing to tell me what you thought of the class?
Cancer Biology (BIOL-40376) with Erica Goddard
Epidemiology ( BIOL-40377 ) with Aimee Ferraro
Immunology ( BIOL-40371 ) with Annelise Snyder

Picture this: it’s the day before my cumulative final for my healthy animal course, first semester of vet school. My dog dies. He was only 3.

Long story short, he had a fb. Likely happened while he was boarding at my clinic for the past 5 days while my wife was playing vb. Clinic said he showed no signs of fb til Sunday morning. Vomited all his food. Rads didn’t show anything clear besides gas. Within 24 hours he’s on the table. Small intestine almost completely necrotized. About 5-6 inches of toy/towel almost string like material. They try to take out what they can. Dies the next morning after what they thought was for sure a successful a surgery. His only fb.

I’m in the anger stage of grief right now because why does my dog only have 1 exp surgery and dies but we have clients that have had dogs with 4+ exploratory surgeries. Ugh. Life isn’t fair sometimes.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming whiny annoying complaining! I feel sick to my stomach waiting for decisions. I honestly really don't believe I'm going to make it in this cycle. My anxiety is at a paralyzing high and I spent all day today refreshing SDN, reddit, and FB because I can't think about anything else. I can't look at my essays or think about my hours or else I feel sick. All I do is compare myself to other applicants. My stomach turns every time my mind wanders on my schools which is about every hour. I struggle with self-esteem generally so I'm having such a hard time with this. Honestly don't know if I can mentally handle another cycle which makes me feel worse because this is my dream and I shouldn't be like...this. Some days I can't eat but most days I'm stress eating like Nikocado volumes. I think the only fix here is patience and maybe some therapy. Lol. Oh god. Just want this to end (in acceptance :cryi:)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Incoming whiny annoying complaining! I feel sick to my stomach waiting for decisions. I honestly really don't believe I'm going to make it in this cycle. My anxiety is at a paralyzing high and I spent all day today refreshing SDN, reddit, and FB because I can't think about anything else. I can't look at my essays or think about my hours or else I feel sick. All I do is compare myself to other applicants. My stomach turns every time my mind wanders on my schools which is about every hour. I struggle with self-esteem generally so I'm having such a hard time with this. Honestly don't know if I can mentally handle another cycle which makes me feel worse because this is my dream and I shouldn't be like...this. Some days I can't eat but most days I'm stress eating like Nikocado volumes. I think the only fix here is patience and maybe some therapy. Lol. Oh god. Just want this to end (in acceptance :cryi:)
I feel the exact same!!! I’m constantly sick over this and I do the same cycle of SDN, Reddit, and Facebook 😭 I know I’m not a super competitive candidate but I seriously don’t understand how it seems like everyone has tens of thousands of hours and a perfect GPA it’s insane. I literally just want one acceptance I do not care where. It’s driving me absolutely insane and every time I think about having to go through another cycle I just can’t do it…. But don’t worry haha at least you aren’t alone 🥲🥲🙃🙃

• Care

I could not possibly relate more

• Care
I feel the exact same!!! I’m constantly sick over this and I do the same cycle of SDN, Reddit, and Facebook 😭 I know I’m not a super competitive candidate but I seriously don’t understand how it seems like everyone has tens of thousands of hours and a perfect GPA it’s insane. I literally just want one acceptance I do not care where. It’s driving me absolutely insane and every time I think about having to go through another cycle I just can’t do it…. But don’t worry haha at least you aren’t alone 🥲🥲🙃🙃
I think the worst part is knowing the applicant pool has grown so much over the years so seeing those people with 4.0s and years of experience have such a bigger advantage makes my tummy hurt

• Care
It's honestly insane. I've been refreshing this site every 5 minutes for new information, new hope. I was fine until the first rejection came and then I realized, as an OOS applicant, I would be fighting against thousands of people for every school I applied to. This is my first cycle and I felt so confident until I saw the numbers. The idea of going again is scary and seems hard to handle

You are not alone! I interviewed at my in state school last week and initially thought it went well, but each day that passes I keep thinking more into it and how I could've said more/said things in a better way/etc. This waiting game has been consuming me and I keep telling myself that I have done my best and whatever happens is meant to be, but it's still extremely difficult nonetheless.

• Care
This is a silly rant but it's the rant thread so I'll go for it.
I know, after I'm 18, my parents do not owe me anything, and I won't expect them to shell out huge expenses for me. I'm extremely lucky that I'll graduate undergrad debt free thanks to their help. However, they keep toying with me over helping with vet school. My mom says maybe they'll pay for a year of tuition and that's all, and my dad says they'll pay for EVERYTHING, and neither will sit down and have an actual conversation with me. I would love help, but not paying is also a fair choice. If they don't pay, I'll take a few years off and establish residency in a state with a public school. Ill have a good degree and can save up some money with my lucrative tutoring experience. If they do help a significant amount, I'll apply this cycle and get on with my life! I just want answers!

• Care
ive been scarred by my job twice in the past two weeks. probably more apt to say scarred by the people that are capable of causing this kind of harm to animals.

one by this sweet abandoned dog that had a 1/9 BCS. could not even support their own weight enough to walk.

this other by a cat that was brutalized. I don't even want to give anyone the mental image of what was necrotic and broken. but it was horrible.

• Care
It's honestly insane. I've been refreshing this site every 5 minutes for new information, new hope. I was fine until the first rejection came and then I realized, as an OOS applicant, I would be fighting against thousands of people for every school I applied to. This is my first cycle and I felt so confident until I saw the numbers. The idea of going again is scary and seems hard to handle
I 100000% feel the exact same way. I only applied to 4 schools because of costs, and I've already been denied by 2 (including my IS school). This is my first cycle, and I know that the first cycle doesn't always work out, but I want it so badly. I have plans for what to do if I don't get in, but that doesn't stop the hurt of it actually happening.

I really really need to get this out...

I've been accepted to Ross for Summer 2024, and the process has been so terrible I feel I can't even be excited about it. Firstly, I get the acceptance email and I was so excited!! I am a first time applicant and an acceptance anywhere is such an achievement, even if Ross wasn't my top choice. Then, I notice that I was accepted for the Spring 2024 semester when I distinctly remember applying for the Fall 2024 semester through VMCAS. I had initially selected Spring, then changed my mind and remember the pop up notification that was something like "You can only apply for one term, are you sure you want to change your selection?" and clicking "Yes".

I reached back out to the person who had been my sole contact thus far and her initial response was, to summarize, "no, you applied for the spring, are you not able to accept then?" I also immediately started getting flooded with emails about the "upcoming semester" (I was accepted at the end of October) and being very overwhelmed. I was instructed to email my student coordinators, who never responded, but one of them called me. I was able to get them to agree to push my acceptance to Summer 2024, thinking I'd have time to hear back from other schools, and go to Ross in April if not. I was told, without a due date, that a $1k deposit was due.

Four days ago, I received an email that stated my deposit is due by January 1, 2024 and I risk/will lose my seat (it's unclear) if I don't submit it by then. $1k is a lot of money to me, but I am willing to take the risk to follow my dream. I try to follow their instructions to make the payment on "TouchNet" the same day, and get a message that the website is down for maintenance. I call the phone number provided AND email my student coordinators, left a voicemail, and have not gotten an email back. I keep trying every day with no response. I know no one is in office because of the holiday, but what am I supposed to do?

I finally got on TouchNet today and it refuses to let me log in. I tried different pins, I double checked my student ID, I reset my pin to make sure I was inputting it correctly, and I did the captcha tests to verify I was a human. Nope, unable to verify my log in credentials. Call the number? Everyone is out of office. Of course they are, it's a Sunday and a holiday, but my deposit is due tomorrow and no one will respond.

Not to mention, TouchNet is hard to find on the Ross website. The pictures with the instructions are outdated. Where TouchNet should be, there is now a link to a completely different interface for making a seat deposit (it literally says Pay Seat Deposit for RUSVM here). It seems straightforward enough that I should just use that to make my deposit, but $1k is a lot of money. I'd hate to accidentally send it to the wrong place. Has anyone else gone through this process? Can anyone help me? I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. Sigh. End rant.

• Care
Spousal disagreements are great 🙄😑

• Care
  • Love
Does anyone else have a musculoskeletal course that’s a hot mess…because we’re in week two and I’m at the point where I’m gonna have to teach myself 😭 shot out to UMN for having your pressbooks available online

• Care
I wish the mods for the apvma fb group would release posts more often so I can fuel my raging obsessive addiction to refreshing vet school related groups

Is anyone else feeling really defeated and beaten down by this cycle ? I’ve completely lost any confidence I had and if this cycle doesn’t work out at this point idk that I can handle another one. It’s really affecting my mental health and I just feel like every other candidate is a million times better than me

• Care
Is anyone else feeling really defeated and beaten down by this cycle ? I’ve completely lost any confidence I had and if this cycle doesn’t work out at this point idk that I can handle another one. It’s really affecting my mental health and I just feel like every other candidate is a million times better than me
You're definitely not alone. I assumed I'd be rejected by most schools when I cast the wide net that I did, but the impact of actually receiving rejection letter after rejection letter is worse than I thought it would be. I obsess over hearing back from schools so hard that I think I'd limit apps to just a few programs next time around after feeling things out this cycle just to protect my mental state.

Just know that imposter syndrome is a rampant thing in this field and I'd say the vast majority of us feel it to some extent. There's so many deserving applicants for so few seats that deciding who gets in seems partially up to the luck of the draw.

• Care
You're definitely not alone. I assumed I'd be rejected by most schools when I cast the wide net that I did, but the impact of actually receiving rejection letter after rejection letter is worse than I thought it would be. I obsess over hearing back from schools so hard that I think I'd limit apps to just a few programs next time around after feeling things out this cycle just to protect my mental state.

Just know that imposter syndrome is a rampant thing in this field and I'd say the vast majority of us feel it to some extent. There's so many deserving applicants for so few seats that deciding who gets in seems partially up to the luck of the draw.
That’s exactly it! I knew that a lot of my schools were long shots and thought that I was prepared for the rejections but it’s so much different to actually get that rejection. I agree I wish I hadn’t applied to so many just to stop the constant rejection

• Care
That’s exactly it! I knew that a lot of my schools were long shots and thought that I was prepared for the rejections but it’s so much different to actually get that rejection. I agree I wish I hadn’t applied to so many just to stop the constant rejection
I feel this deeply. I put off applying for many, many years because I didn’t feel I could handle this for the reasons you’ve stated. Please know that you are not alone, this is very hard, and rejections do not ultimately determine your worth as a human and your potential contributions in this field. I am hopeful that admissions will continue to shift to determine more metrics for worthiness beyond GPA and the ability to work thousands of unpaid hours for variations in experience.

I’ve also come to realize that I’d much rather be in a place focused on building people up to be great vets rather than keeping them out- if that makes sense.

This is my first cycle applying to vet school, right now I have only been accepted to St. George’s and Midwestern after being rejected from three other schools, interviewing and getting rejected from my in-state (UF), and still having to hear back from Michigan State. However, this has a left me in a difficult situation since my two acceptances are some of the most expensive options for vet school (leaning towards Midwestern since its in the US). Right now I’m really unsure what to do since vet school has been my dream but this situation will set me up to graduate vet school with a lot of student loan debt 350K+ which, coming from a low middle class family, is very scary to even think about. I’m scared to decline these offers with the goal of reapplying next year since due to personal circumstances, I have been unable to strengthen my resume experience wise and I’m scared that I won’t even get into any if I do this. I guess my question is what would you do if this was your situation, I know its a very personal choice and I’m thankful to have been accepted this cycle but I would really appreciate any advice on this from anyone who has had experience with anything that I mentioned above or anyone who has attended/graduated from Midwestern since I’m in a bit of a crossroads right now.

This is my first cycle applying to vet school, right now I have only been accepted to St. George’s and Midwestern after being rejected from three other schools, interviewing and getting rejected from my in-state (UF), and still having to hear back from Michigan State. However, this has a left me in a difficult situation since my two acceptances are some of the most expensive options for vet school (leaning towards Midwestern since its in the US). Right now I’m really unsure what to do since vet school has been my dream but this situation will set me up to graduate vet school with a lot of student loan debt 350K+ which, coming from a low middle class family, is very scary to even think about. I’m scared to decline these offers with the goal of reapplying next year since due to personal circumstances, I have been unable to strengthen my resume experience wise and I’m scared that I won’t even get into any if I do this. I guess my question is what would you do if this was your situation, I know its a very personal choice and I’m thankful to have been accepted this cycle but I would really appreciate any advice on this from anyone who has had experience with anything that I mentioned above or anyone who has attended/graduated from Midwestern since I’m in a bit of a crossroads right now.
Im in almost your exact same shoes as I also interviewed with UF instate and recently received my rejection. I wish I had applied to the island schools and others like Midwestern and LMU but unfortunately I didnt. Each person's life and perspective is different but in your shoes I would end up at Midwestern due to the fact that its in the US so it would be less of a culture shock and it could be easier to keep other costs (housing/moving/etc) down. I would be moving with my husband and 2 large dogs so there is that consideration as well.

Midwestern is more expensive than SGU by like 100k over the course of four years. For me that would make SGU a much better option. I haven’t met any vets from Midwestern but I know two from SGU and they loved the island. The student loans are manageable with their salary as well but they’re also working in ER in an urban area. If you have plan on going into a lower paying domain, it maybe be worth doing a second application cycle

if for the next application you just need to have more/varied vet experience then that’s easier to manage than trying to increase cGPA

You are not alone! I interviewed at my in state school last week and initially thought it went well, but each day that passes I keep thinking more into it and how I could've said more/said things in a better way/etc. This waiting game has been consuming me and I keep telling myself that I have done my best and whatever happens is meant to be, but it's still extremely difficult nonetheless.
I literally did this for a month after an interview I did and still got accepted! Don't beat yourself up about it!

Midwestern is more expensive than SGU by like 100k over the course of four years. For me that would make SGU a much better option. I haven’t met any vets from Midwestern but I know two from SGU and they loved the island. The student loans are manageable with their salary as well but they’re also working in ER in an urban area. If you have plan on going into a lower paying domain, it maybe be worth doing a second application cycle

if for the next application you just need to have more/varied vet experience then that’s easier to manage than trying to increase cGPA

Yea I’ve also been factoring cost of travel, having to do clinicals somewhere else, and also island life. As in term of my app, I have a solid GPA and I would need more experience. However, I don’t know if I want to gamble another application cycle and not get accepted anywhere even though the debt load will be big if I do accept.

Yea I’ve also been factoring cost of travel, having to do clinicals somewhere else, and also island life. As in term of my app, I have a solid GPA and I would need more experience. However, I don’t know if I want to gamble another application cycle and not get accepted anywhere even though the debt load will be big if I do accept.
Midwestern student here. My home state doesn't have a vet school, so all schools were going to be generally expensive for me. I considered doing another application cycle, but decided against it. Yes, I'm going to have more debt than if I went elsewhere, but at least I'll have a veterinarian salary 1 year earlier than if I did another cycle

In the lab where I work there’s a silent turf war between research techs (what I am) and animal techs. The research techs have our own dedicated room that the animal techs are assigned to check. Today one of the animal techs yelled at me because they had to break down a billion cardboard boxes that were left in the room. We were requested to keep them there until Monday when our supervisor would be on site. The animal tech wasn’t aware of this and took the boxes away, pissed that they had more work to do because of us. I felt so bad because I could’ve prevented this by leaving a note behind. I was planning to trash the boxes myself until my supervisor said to wait. It’s stupid but I almost cried after.

I really hate when my actions cause others distress. I do my best to minimize work for others and try to prevent issues. I immediately started thinking how poorly I would be as a vet because I’m going to get clients that react negatively. I can’t cry or play victim when this happens. But I also really hate being misunderstood. Just makes me worry. I need tougher skin.

• Care
Here’s a fun little salty rant: I didn’t get a specific government job I applied to and interviewed for a little over a year ago. A person I know eventually got hired into the position last fall. Today I found out that this person is currently not licensed to practice vet med in our state (they had a provisional license that expired over a year ago) which also means they can’t be USDA accredited either. This job required both qualifications even though it is not clinical in nature. So, now I’m over here thinking that HR either knowingly hired someone who didn’t meet the minimum standards of the job, or this person has knowingly misled them about their qualifications. Either way, that’s some gross salty tea ….. and I don’t like it.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Took my bunnies to get the RHDV2 vaccine yesterday, and one of them is so shy. It took her 2 months to start coming out of her cage. Now fast forward to today, she is so timid and scared from the vet that she’s just hiding and barely eating. I know the vaccine has side effects like decreased appetite, but worrying about GI stasis while studying is not a great feeling.

• Care
The Purina food controversy right now is so annoying.

There hasn’t been any actual evidence though has there? People just seem to like to tell stories.
No, the original doctor of the original dead dog briefly posted about this on a Facebook page she and I are both in. Originally thought to be heavy metal tox. But necropsy and food analysis didn't implicate the food.

We got an email yesterday that the university contracted housing for our shelter med rotation was ended. There was an incident a few months ago with some vet students. The risk management committee determined the potential liability risk going forward with that hotel was unacceptable, which I understand. Unfortunately, their solution is completely out of touch with students and they are only interested in covering their own butts.

We have to find our own accommodations so the university isn't directly liable for putting us up somewhere. We also have to pay for two weeks in a hotel up front, because everyone knows that vet students have $1500+ laying around to pay for housing that was supposed to be covered. The business office will hopefully reimburse us one month later, provided we submit "some information" they want. But we'll only get reimbursed the discounted contract rate that students can't get because.. you know.. there isn't a contract anymore?

I feel like any normal CVM would be supportive and flexible, but not here. They got rid of the shelter rotation on campus this year and the only other location has no availability so they won't let us switch. Oh, and shelter med is a core rotation so if we don't swallow the pill and pay an unexpected $1500+, we won't graduate. But everything is fine because it's clearly our problem now and they seem so very happy about their solution.

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Hello Everyone! Idk if this is the right place for this or not but I’m doing it anyway!
I just wanted an outlet to express my feelings over a certain manner …. I applied to a good amount of schools this cycle. And while I am eternally grateful that I managed to get accepted into ONE, I have been rejected at literally All others (so far). The one I got into was my In-state school and I have been rejected from every Out of State schools.
I know I probably shouldn’t even care much about the rejections since the in-state was my top choice but I can’t help but feel like … idk … that maybe I’m still not good enough??
The thing that gets me most is that I interviewed at most Out of State schools I applied to but I guess I wasn’t enough :(
I am more on the quiet / shy side so interviews were harder on me than most (I’m assuming ). So when I keep getting rejected at schools I interviewed at, it hits a little harder since that is the part I’m most insecure about.
My in-state did have an interview as well and I managed to make it ! But having the others school reject me has made me feel like I still suck at interviewing, I’m actually not good enough to be a vet, and the only reason I got into the in-state school was because I was in-state.
I’m not sure why that matters to me so much … but here we are.
Again, I know I should incredibly happy that life gave me an acceptance into a vet school so all this shouldn’t matter much.
ALSO …. My parents aren’t the most supportive people in the world so every accomplishment I’ve had thus far in life has been belittled. Since family is important to me, I have grown to do the same and belittle basically everything and anything I accomplish.
I know I should be happy and proud of myself but I’m kinda more on the “ehh” side about it. (But maybe it just hasn’t fully sinked in??)
I would love any advice anyone can give me !
Thanks ! (And thanks for reading all this)

• Care
Hello Everyone! Idk if this is the right place for this or not but I’m doing it anyway!
I just wanted an outlet to express my feelings over a certain manner …. I applied to a good amount of schools this cycle. And while I am eternally grateful that I managed to get accepted into ONE, I have been rejected at literally All others (so far). The one I got into was my In-state school and I have been rejected from every Out of State schools.
I know I probably shouldn’t even care much about the rejections since the in-state was my top choice but I can’t help but feel like … idk … that maybe I’m still not good enough??
The thing that gets me most is that I interviewed at most Out of State schools I applied to but I guess I wasn’t enough :(
I am more on the quiet / shy side so interviews were harder on me than most (I’m assuming ). So when I keep getting rejected at schools I interviewed at, it hits a little harder since that is the part I’m most insecure about.
My in-state did have an interview as well and I managed to make it ! But having the others school reject me has made me feel like I still suck at interviewing, I’m actually not good enough to be a vet, and the only reason I got into the in-state school was because I was in-state.
I’m not sure why that matters to me so much … but here we are.
Again, I know I should incredibly happy that life gave me an acceptance into a vet school so all this shouldn’t matter much.
ALSO …. My parents aren’t the most supportive people in the world so every accomplishment I’ve had thus far in life has been belittled. Since family is important to me, I have grown to do the same and belittle basically everything and anything I accomplish.
I know I should be happy and proud of myself but I’m kinda more on the “ehh” side about it. (But maybe it just hasn’t fully sinked in??)
I would love any advice anyone can give me !
Thanks ! (And thanks for reading all this)
Life didn't give you an acceptance- your hard work did. You did this- you earned it. I relate to not having a supportive family which caused me to internalize never feeling good enough. my first thought I have as someone squarely in midlife and looking back- is that this is something that is worth taking a pause and working through, especially prior to an experience as high stress and performance driven as veterinary school.

I would also say that if you are feeling insecure about something- there are likely many other people who feel the same way, so you are in good company- and that you can and will get better with practice. Congrats on your acceptance, in spite of all the rejection, and if I am reading between the lines correctly - without the support you needed. You did it! Wishing you all the best :)

Something needs to change. The veterinary school application process is seriously a mess! There is no way that adults who are at least 22/23 and graduating from good colleges with strong GPAs should have to put their lives on hold to apply to vet schools once a year. I realize that there are some people who are perfectly happy putting in a gap year... or two or three... working in the field as a vet assistant or a tech while pinning their hopes that MAYBE next year they will be accepted, but that's not for everyone. And I don't think we should have to do that either; especially after doing a lot of the animal-related work experience before applying to vet school. People don't realize that not everyone can live off of their family until they're 30 years old. Also, there are so many variables that can interfere with waiting to apply to vet school that it might never happen. There are not enough accredited vet schools in the US, and, as a result, really strong students with GPAs of 3.5-3.8 are being passed over because of the volume of applications. It's infuriating! Society needs more people who are DVMs, so why so difficult for strong students to find a place? This is screwed up!

Y’all I’m SO bummed. I got accepted to UPEI and felt like I was finally going to be a doctor. While we were up here visiting to check out the area, we were doing more research and as of Jan 22 they are not allowing undergraduate international students to bring spouses. Whether or not my fiancé could come was a huge factor in which international schools I applied to. For them to change the rules after applications and decisions were in feels like I’ve had the rug pulled out from under me. I’m still waiting to hear from Tufts and Minnesota, but I feel like I’m back to waiting for my first decision again. I don’t know what we’ll do if I only get into the one school. I know no one can change any of it, but feeling like this is really unfair.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Something needs to change. The veterinary school application process is seriously a mess! There is no way that adults who are at least 22/23 and graduating from good colleges with strong GPAs should have to put their lives on hold to apply to vet schools once a year. I realize that there are some people who are perfectly happy putting in a gap year... or two or three... working in the field as a vet assistant or a tech while pinning their hopes that MAYBE next year they will be accepted, but that's not for everyone. And I don't think we should have to do that either; especially after doing a lot of the animal-related work experience before applying to vet school. People don't realize that not everyone can live off of their family until they're 30 years old. Also, there are so many variables that can interfere with waiting to apply to vet school that it might never happen. There are not enough accredited vet schools in the US, and, as a result, really strong students with GPAs of 3.5-3.8 are being passed over because of the volume of applications. It's infuriating! Society needs more people who are DVMs, so why so difficult for strong students to find a place? This is screwed up!
I strongly encourage you to take a deep breath and take a step back. I understand not getting in is frustrating and disappointing, but this mind set will not get you into vet school either.

1) I can guarantee that the application proscess is not going to change anytime soon. It has been the same way for years and follows suit of the majority of MD program applications as well.

2) If being able to apply only once a year is the concern, the island schools take applications multiple times per year. Not that I recommend island schools because of the price tag but if the amount of times to apply is the issue, there is a solution.

3) It is up to you if you put your life on hold. If you didn't get in figure out what it is that you want/need to do in life in the mean time. Not getting into vet school is not the end of the world unless you let it be. If you don't want more animal hours/can't afford to be a tech/assistant consider what you can do. ie. Have a degree in tech? Go get a job in tech and volunteer in your free time to keep your foot in the door. Go work at a human hospital. Point being no one has to live off their parents and put their life on hold

4) One could argue there are plenty of vet schools in the US. Tehcnically there's a "shortage". However, the field is also starting to see stagnation and regression after the last few years of growth. If too many schools open, demand along with salaries decrease and you end up with a situation similar to pharmacists (lack of jobs and lower pay for what they're worth). The true shortage issue being in food animal/ rual/ mixed is never going to be solved by opening more vet schools. Also just because you open more vet schools does not mean one would get in.

5) Are there people who would probably make wonderful veterinarians not getting into vet school because there are not a huge portion of seats, sure. However, there are more factors than just GPA (yes I do believe you need a strong GPA to suceed) but experience, how one plans to contribute to veterinary medicine, and overall attitudes can majorly impact admission decisions.

6) It is up to the individual to decide weather or not they can/should apply to vet school multiple times. For some people vet school isn't going to happen. For others it may happen on the 1st or 5th time. In the end though, it is JUST a job. If you ask me, your work environment is much more important than the job you actually do. I have a good work environment (which is arguably more important than any job), but relying on your job to make you happy and fulfill you often leads to disappointment. Sure I get some satisification from my actual job, but if I hit it rich tomorrow I would probably quit to do the things I really love. Ultimately one's self stands in their own way of happiness. Am I lucky to have become a veterinarian, yes. Are there days I would rather go work in a cubicle, you bet. However, I am happiest because I choose to be. Have that plan b, I promise it's not the end of the world. I'll say it one more time, being a veterinarian is JUST a job.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
I couldn’t agree more with @MixedAnimals77. GPA isn’t everything, a lot of the times it’s how you present yourself and how you would add to the career field. In fact if more vet schools get added, it’s just going to become more competitive. Medical schools have hundreds of schools, but there is no reprieve from how intense their requirements and application process is.

Large animal and equine vets are a dying breed because we get paid next to nothing compared to our small animal counterparts. I’m looking at capping out my salary at $150k at most when my small animal classmates will make $150k potentially starting. There is no shortage of small animal vets.

• Love