RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I already didn’t love the idea of using Rover to find someone to petsit for me, but this week has definitely permanently made that not an option I will ever consider for my pets.

Had a bad eye ulcer where the pet sitter didn’t want to give the meds appropriately and chose to give some of the meds some of the time before dropping off the dog for me to clean up the mess.

Then today had a diabetic kitty where the pet sitter made a syringe reading error and gave 30U of insulin instead of 3U for two doses in a row. You can imagine the state the cat was in when they found it this morning and brought it to us.
As someone who did extensive pet sitting through Rover these cases break my heart. It's just always so much easier for everyone to follow the gosh darn directions.

Members don't see this ad.

the good news is - if this is universal across states - the insurance/payment they provide for animals injured under care is fantastic. We had a BDLD who was being walked by a Rover sitter who had multiple procedures, week of bandage changes/hospitalization, etc, and they no-questions-asked covered the whole thing. I think it was near a 5 figure bill by the end.
I had a classmate who did Rover and they would bring dogs into their house to pet sit. Their dog was attacked by one of the dogs they watched. WEEKS of ICU care and surgeries. All paid for by Rover.

Personally made me too nervous to use rover if they had dogs of their own which the majority of Rover sitters around me do have their own. I’m fine with coworkers watching my dogs if they have their own dogs because I actually trust them that they know if their dogs would be fine with other dogs 😂
Some Rover people also watch dogs from different families at the same time along with their own dogs and THAT made me way too anxious because it’s a bunch of strange dogs together.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I had a classmate who did Rover and they would bring dogs into their house to pet sit. Their dog was attacked by one of the dogs they watched. WEEKS of ICU care and surgeries. All paid for by Rover.

Personally made me too nervous to use rover if they had dogs of their own which the majority of Rover sitters around me do have their own. I’m fine with coworkers watching my dogs if they have their own dogs because I actually trust them that they know if their dogs would be fine with other dogs 😂
Some Rover people also watch dogs from different families at the same time along with their own dogs and THAT made me way too anxious because it’s a bunch of strange dogs together.
I only had client animals at my house like 2 times, and one of those was because I accidentally got locked out of their building in winter. Most of the people who found me had dog aggressive dogs which is why they weren't boarded. Plus I think it's way more stressful on the dog to not be at home.

Plus how can you eat the food they insist you help yourself to if you're not staying at their house.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya'll I am suuuuper bummed. I put down a deposit on this adorable newborn foal in like May. I got super excited about having a new baby horse on the farm and couldn't wait to bring her home next spring. I got a text from the breeder a couple days ago that Alice had developed severe diarrhea and passed away, despite hospitalization and round-the-clock care 😭 I was so excited for Ducky to have a little sister next spring 😔

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Today was supposed to be an exciting day with applications officially being done! My dog got super sick last night and had a negative explore today and is now spending the night at one of my wonderful DVMs houses being closely monitored and I just feel sick about it. I've had a really rough year as it is and this is just the cherry on top.
AND I have an exam tomorrow. I hate this week so much.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
We’re only a month into school but already my class is starting to have rumblings about how much they hate our school and wish they went somewhere else. It’s very disappointing to hear especially coming from our class executive board.

They keep saying we’re going to lose accreditation over NAVLE scores but fail to realize that these scores are often reflective of the COVID period of classes.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
We’re only a month into school but already my class is starting to have rumblings about how much they hate our school and wish they went somewhere else. It’s very disappointing to hear especially coming from our class executive board.

They keep saying we’re going to lose accreditation over NAVLE scores but fail to realize that these scores are often reflective of the COVID period of classes.
Like every vet school had a bit of a drop because of Covid classes graduating. A fourth year told me she knew people in c/o 2023 who didn’t study at all because tests were all online unproctored and then proceeded to not study for the navle. I’m sure it will get better again for everyone in the coming years!

So highly unlikely, that this view point just breeds unnecessary negativity. The AVMA COE accreditation standards and standings are available online. Michigan had a standing of "accredited"; so there's zero chance of them losing accreditation due to NAVLE right now.

/rant over drama that doesn't need to exist

Reactions: 10 users

This might be total hearsay lol but I seem to recall that there is a clause that if a school loses accreditation that previously had accreditation then any current vet students will still graduate as an AVMA-approved student, it only affects incoming students.

Reactions: 5 users
This might be total hearsay lol but I seem to recall that there is a clause that if a school loses accreditation that previously had accreditation then any current vet students will still graduate as an AVMA-approved student, it only affects incoming students.
This is the case. The AVMA would not leave 100s of students up **** creek without a paddle

Reactions: 4 users
Oh good glad I'm not talking out of my butt :lol: I remember there was some concern our school might lose accreditation at one point and that clause was very reassuring during that time haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.

*On my weekend of on call my clients gave to me*
9 emergencies today
1 dramatic death
1 piss bath
*and a partdridge in a pear tree*

And people wonder why we only work 4 days and not 5 and don't take more emergency call.😴

• Care
Technician drama at work with one specific individual is probs going to be the end of me on the inside 🫠

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Vet school is so overwhelming and I feel like I’m being dumped with so much information. But learning about clinical skills and working in my school clinic solidified my choice on wanting to be a vet.

But also please have mercy, I’m just a clueless first year. 😭

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Not really a rant lol but I need some opinions :laugh: Since Ducky has asthma now I have been feeding her two meals of steamed hay a day (lots of hay at a time, so it lasts her until the next feeding). But this means I am spending SO much time prepping meals for her. The part that takes the longest is filling her giant hay bags... right now I have two hay bags so I can make her dinner bag and her breakfast bag for the next morning at the same time. Takes me about 20 mins to fill one bag. Should I get more hay bags and just bang out a bunch of them at one time, meal prep style? Only real catch: They're like $100 a bag lol. Or should I just accept that it will take me at least an hour to feed my horse every day 🙃

Ask everyone to give you hay bags for Christmas or a gift card for the horse supply store to help cut the cost down? I’d totally buy at least a few additional bags to be able to prep more beforehand. Plus if you ever go out of town having bags already prepped would be way easier on a horse sitter. But I do remember how difficult budget can be during residency.

Ask everyone to give you hay bags for Christmas or a gift card for the horse supply store to help cut the cost down? I’d totally buy at least a few additional bags to be able to prep more beforehand. Plus if you ever go out of town having bags already prepped would be way easier on a horse sitter. But I do remember how difficult budget can be during residency.
That's a good idea! I think I found some that are big enough and are like half the price so hopefullyyyy those work out haha. I ordered a trial one so we'll see if they work. Ducky has a lot of internet fans so maybe they'll buy her hay nets if I make her an amazon wishlist :rofl:

• Haha
That's a good idea! I think I found some that are big enough and are like half the price so hopefullyyyy those work out haha. I ordered a trial one so we'll see if they work. Ducky has a lot of internet fans so maybe they'll buy her hay nets if I make her an amazon wishlist :rofl:
I guarantee her fans will crowdfund hay nets for her 😂😂😂😂

Our 8.5-9 year old rabbit was just diagnosed with mammary cancer. She's feeling good and we caught the mass within a month of it appearing. But it's hard to ask my older bunny to go through surgery to remove it (if she'd be a good candidate). She's part of a bonded pair and I just don't know what we're going to do for the other one if the worst happens. Were taking it step wise and were getting imaging in a week from tomorrow, but it's just a hard one to hear.

She's also a lop and has middle ear disease. At least the antibiotic she's on is cherry and banana flavored and she'll like it.

• Care
7billionth reason I wanna quit.
Dog presented for bleeding from mouth and butt. Gave estimate for all the things. O only approved coags and chem 17 which if course came back normal. Has been to 2 other vets and only did exams. O calls wanting a referral for someone to be able to tell her what's going on with her dog....I'm refer you straight to IM or ER. Oh wait they're gonna want all the diagnostics I recommended first.🤬 I'm having my tech call them back cause I literally cannot.

Eta (mini rave wring form i know):my throat punchy mood dissipated today when my sweet old client couple invited me to her husband's 80th bday party later this month. It was so sweet and adorable and was just what I needed to dissipate the internal rage that's been going on the last few days.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Angry
That moment when a client demands to go to a referral center and states they know she's coming. Then the referral center calls asking why we didn't do a true transfer with a doctor conversation and then have to tell their receptionist that the client didn't like being told we don't know what's wrong 🙄

• Okay...
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Having to work during school bc poor and begging clients to tell you what drug their dog got into >>>>>>>>> (it ended up being both OxyContin AND weed ❤️) also I have TWO exams this week. Help.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
That moment when a client demands to go to a referral center and states they know she's coming. Then the referral center calls asking why we didn't do a true transfer with a doctor conversation and then have to tell their receptionist that the client didn't like being told we don't know what's wrong 🙄
Update: client called hours later saying I was wrong about it maybe being GI vs endocrine and was "just an abscess". Okay, lady. Have never seen a down and out doodle with a SQ abscess before. Sorry for worrying about life threatening foreign material vs Addison's

• Care
  • Sad
Update: client called hours later saying I was wrong about it maybe being GI vs endocrine and was "just an abscess". Okay, lady. Have never seen a down and out doodle with a SQ abscess before. Sorry for worrying about life threatening foreign material vs Addison's
Classic doodle owner behavior

Also an human PICU NP. My human medical professionals as clients are 50/50 from perfect to sub-optimal 🙄
Some of my absolute favourite clients were a MD couple who were both retired radiologists. Didn't have to explain things in super lay terms, they had no concerns with cost, and were constantly fascinated by vet stuff.

Some of my absolute favourite clients were a MD couple who were both retired radiologists. Didn't have to explain things in super lay terms, they had no concerns with cost, and were constantly fascinated by vet stuff.
My best human health care clients have been MDs. I explained heart failure to a cardiologist once and he took it in stride. And then had an MD of unknown origin not think twice of hospitalizing his Shih Tzu for AHDS/HGE.

Had our first cardio quiz and didn’t do super great. It doesn’t help that it feels like the material is all self taught right now because lectures are just word vomit.

Just going to start counting days till thanksgiving

• Care
I regretted being a vet a lot ,especially this week. First time in 2 years practicing in SA industry, I had a case of ovarian remnant for a spay 1 year back. And when all these happened, I was away at a conference, so my other colleagues had to help with the case. Unfortunately it happened to a patient with a difficult owner that despite saying okay when we asked to come for a discussion in a few days (as our ultrasound machine was undergoing maintenance that time), actually posted it to social media, and threaten to viral us. Then the owner immediately brought their pet to different vets without discussing with us. Thankfully the other clinic found the remnant.

All throughout the conference, I was wrecked with guilt. Now that the owner keep scolding us in the clinic WhatsApp, I can barely go to work without feeling embarrassed to my other colleagues. I have smeared their name in the mud. My confidence had hit rock bottom. Each day, the thought to resign grows larger. I had the best regular clients, but I feel all those wonderful interactions have been swept away, replaced by this looming feeling that I am nothing but a bad vet. I was never, and will never be a good enough vet, that's what I'm feeling now. I'm so sorry for the negative post

• Care
I regretted being a vet a lot ,especially this week. First time in 2 years practicing in SA industry, I had a case of ovarian remnant for a spay 1 year back. And when all these happened, I was away at a conference, so my other colleagues had to help with the case. Unfortunately it happened to a patient with a difficult owner that despite saying okay when we asked to come for a discussion in a few days (as our ultrasound machine was undergoing maintenance that time), actually posted it to social media, and threaten to viral us. Then the owner immediately brought their pet to different vets without discussing with us. Thankfully the other clinic found the remnant.

All throughout the conference, I was wrecked with guilt. Now that the owner keep scolding us in the clinic WhatsApp, I can barely go to work without feeling embarrassed to my other colleagues. I have smeared their name in the mud. My confidence had hit rock bottom. Each day, the thought to resign grows larger. I had the best regular clients, but I feel all those wonderful interactions have been swept away, replaced by this looming feeling that I am nothing but a bad vet. I was never, and will never be a good enough vet, that's what I'm feeling now. I'm so sorry for the negative post
You are not a bad doctor. At all. Remnants happen. I apparently missed a SQ abscess a week or so back, and got fixated on primary GI for the clinical signs. We all miss things eventually. An ovarian remnant can even be ectopic and in weird spots. Without the records, you can say anything about your medical and surgical skills.

If the clinic owner is genuinely blaming you for this (you weren't even there for the follow-up!), I strongly encourage you to leave. It's an associates market and you don't need that negativity in your life.

You are not a bad doctor. At all. Remnants happen. I apparently missed a SQ abscess a week or so back, and got fixated on primary GI for the clinical signs. We all miss things eventually. An ovarian remnant can even be ectopic and in weird spots. Without the records, you can say anything about your medical and surgical skills.

If the clinic owner is genuinely blaming you for this (you weren't even there for the follow-up!), I strongly encourage you to leave. It's an associates market and you don't need that negativity in your life.
Thank you for your encouragement! Unfortunately the practice owner is quite upset with what happened and didn't seem to want to discuss much about it with me. But I do understand why she's upset. I called the pet owner personally today and apologized for what had happened. The owner are understandably upset and angry, but I feel much better after personally apologizing to him. I do feel a bit "abandoned" by my colleagues as I had helped them with their cases when they are not around, but when this issue came up, they'd rather not deal with it and rather wait for me to come back to actually discuss with the owner. But it is what it is, I learn a lot from this experience.

Sorry for being such a downer, but I'm glad to be able to share this bit and I'm feeling much much better. I'm 3 years out, and in my country, there's no ER or GP, we would have to do everything unfortunately. It's fun, I love it, but I do hope to be able to find a career where I don't have to do surgery one day. I'm very nervous about surgery after what had happened.

• Care
Thank you for your encouragement! Unfortunately the practice owner is quite upset with what happened and didn't seem to want to discuss much about it with me. But I do understand why she's upset. I called the pet owner personally today and apologized for what had happened. The owner are understandably upset and angry, but I feel much better after personally apologizing to him. I do feel a bit "abandoned" by my colleagues as I had helped them with their cases when they are not around, but when this issue came up, they'd rather not deal with it and rather wait for me to come back to actually discuss with the owner. But it is what it is, I learn a lot from this experience.

Sorry for being such a downer, but I'm glad to be able to share this bit and I'm feeling much much better. I'm 3 years out, and in my country, there's no ER or GP, we would have to do everything unfortunately. It's fun, I love it, but I do hope to be able to find a career where I don't have to do surgery one day. I'm very nervous about surgery after what had happened.

Coming from a respectful place, but what do you think you have to apologize for? Ovarian remnants aren't really the entire fault of the surgeon, and it was absolutely not your fault this happened while you were gone. It's the job of an owner to handle these situations; it comes with ownership.

I hope you're able to find some place that can give you great membership and better support. Again, I highly encourage you to find somewhere else. Life is too short to work somewhere you don't want to

@Okiskir literally every vet makes mistakes. Some are severe and result in the death of an animal, some are so mild that they don’t even have clinical consequences. Most errors fall somewhere in between these extremes.

What matters is how you handle it, professionally and personally. First, of course, acknowledging that you made a mistake and owning that. Second, doing what you can to make it right for the animal and the owner. Third, learning from the experience so that you don’t make the mistake again, and hopefully contributing to your own QA/QC process.

Personally, you need to disassociate the concepts of mistakes and abilities. Making a mistake doesn’t make you a bad vet. How you handle that error is what differentiates the good from the bad. What benefit is there from stewing over the problem, to yourself, the animal, your colleagues and the owner? None. You’re only hurting yourself. It sucks that this happened with a nasty owner, but do NOT give them space in your head.

This literally happened to the best surgeon I know (veteran shelter vet). When we went back in there was ovarian tissue in the omentum. This is not a reflection of you or your abilities. You colleagues should be supporting you, not scorning you. This could have happened to any one of them. I’m just a lowly vet student but I hope this helps. Feel better ❤️

So don't let this shake your confidence in surgery! I spayed a cat with 3 ovaries once. I would have missed the 3rd ovary if I hadn't happened to just get really good visualization on the ovarian pedicle. I've also done an ovarian remnant surgery for one of my colleagues, and found that cat also had a 3rd ovary and a partial 3rd uterine horn. I made a really big incision so I could see everything really well, and I could actually see the scarring where she ligated the uterine stump and two ovarian pedicles. Sometimes animals don't come with the standard equipment!

Long time lurker, first time posting...
I don't know if I'm looking for advice or validation that my feelings are normal but I do know that I am sad.
I'm a second year student at a school that I absolutely love but I am struggling to find any motivation to do anything besides cry lately. My grades are good, I have a great group of friends, and I am utilizing my school's counseling service (which I find extremely valuable) but I still find myself crying about nothing. I feel like I've always been level headed so all these emotions are new to me and I guess I just don't know how to deal with them or move past them. I know I am not the only one struggling right now, this time of year is hard for just about everyone considering we don't have a lot of time left to make up points in classes, we have 2+ exams just about every week, and we're honestly all just so burnt out from studying every freakin day. I don't know what else to do to make myself feel better, or make myself go to class, or make myself motivated enough to study the amount that I should be. I am soooo excited about what's in store next semester it just feels really far away. How do I dig myself out of this hole?

• Care
Long time lurker, first time posting...
Meds can be life changing if you’re not on something currently. And if you are, you may not be on the right one for *you.*
I’d definitely discuss with a doctor if they think starting medication or changing/adding a different med could help you 💜

With thanksgiving coming up and the rest of the holiday season, I know I am about to be asked at least a million times if I have heard anything from vet school admissions. I keep saying no news right now is good news, but that does not help ease their curiosity. The more people ask the more worried and anxious I get. I feel like I need the equivalent of a swear jar for everyone who asks me about it, that way I will at least have some $$ to pay for all this

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
This is my second cycle applying and my mom has been absolutely ruining the idea of vet school for me. I have always wanted to be a vet but she is constantly asking things and doing things that I have set boundaries avo it and she just doesn’t listen to me. She even called a school to ask them questions without my knowledge. and then she guilt trips me or manipulated me by saying things like “i’m sure there’s so many other pre vet students who wish their mom would help them..” and i just cannot take it anymore. It is to the point where i nearly want to pull my applications because i’m afraid this incessant nagging about any and all things related to vet med will not end even after i get into vet school. If anyone has thoughts/advice I would love to hear it

• Care
  • Wow
This is my second cycle applying and my mom has been absolutely ruining the idea of vet school for me. I have always wanted to be a vet but she is constantly asking things and doing things that I have set boundaries avo it and she just doesn’t listen to me. She even called a school to ask them questions without my knowledge. and then she guilt trips me or manipulated me by saying things like “i’m sure there’s so many other pre vet students who wish their mom would help them..” and i just cannot take it anymore. It is to the point where i nearly want to pull my applications because i’m afraid this incessant nagging about any and all things related to vet med will not end even after i get into vet school. If anyone has thoughts/advice I would love to hear it
Is she communicating to them in a way that can be tied back to you? If so, I would reach out to the schools and let them know this is happening without your consent. Usually, they are pretty understanding of these situations because it is outside of the student's control.

I would be livid if my parents did anything like that. My dad still thinks I went to college in Boston (I was several hours from there). There needs to be a balance between being overly invested and indifference.

I'm terrified that I'm going to get below a C in Biochemistry. I will need to notify schools and the one acceptance I do have will probably be rescinded.

I completely bombed a midterm, probably got like a 20% or lower. There was not a single question that I could confidently answer and the time crunch during the exam made it impossible to think about improving my answers.

I studied my ass off for an entire week. I feel defeated. If I do get a horrible grade on this exam I really need to ace the final somehow to salvage my grade.

I've always been a pretty good student without being attached to the differences between a B- or an A+. I have never had to worry about potentially failing my class and now the stakes feel like the highest its every been 😥

• Care
Is she communicating to them in a way that can be tied back to you? If so, I would reach out to the schools and let them know this is happening without your consent. Usually, they are pretty understanding of these situations because it is outside of the student's control.

I would be livid if my parents did anything like that. My dad still thinks I went to college in Boston (I was several hours from there). There needs to be a balance between being overly invested and indifference.
She said she didn’t mention my name or anything but this is kind of insane behavior right? I just keep trying to rationalize it because she’s my mom but this is too much

She said she didn’t mention my name or anything but this is kind of insane behavior right? I just keep trying to rationalize it because she’s my mom but this is too much
Even family needs to respect your boundaries and respect when you say no. That isn’t ok!

I'm terrified that I'm going to get below a C in Biochemistry. I will need to notify schools and the one acceptance I do have will probably be rescinded.

I completely bombed a midterm, probably got like a 20% or lower. There was not a single question that I could confidently answer and the time crunch during the exam made it impossible to think about improving my answers.

I studied my ass off for an entire week. I feel defeated. If I do get a horrible grade on this exam I really need to ace the final somehow to salvage my grade.

I've always been a pretty good student without being attached to the differences between a B- or an A+. I have never had to worry about potentially failing my class and now the stakes feel like the highest its every been 😥
To me biochem was the hardest prerequisite. What was the average, there may be hope of a curve? My own biochem class back then was significantly curved due to low averages. Everyone says this but it really does help: office hours and practice practice practice. You’ve got this!