RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ginger is very shy. I would go so far as to say she is afraid of other dogs. I don't know why, but she is who she is.

Everyone seems to think their friendly dog will be the one to change this today, even as poor Ginger has her tail between her legs and is trying to hide behind me.
Some dogs are just like this. Whether it's genetics, lack of early socialization, bad early experiences, or a combo of the above, sometimes it just... happens.
And the best way to fix it is a lot of confidence building with friendly dogs that also can keep to themselves and let her go to them on her own time, one on one, as well as teaching her dogs out and about are safe and not going to zoom up and invade her personal space.
My own dog's traumatic experiences in puppyhood weren't with aggressive dogs, but with overly friendly dogs who pounced on her and tried to initiate play while my ten pound potato shrieked in terror. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Some dogs are just like this. Whether it's genetics, lack of early socialization, bad early experiences, or a combo of the above, sometimes it just... happens.
And the best way to fix it is a lot of confidence building with friendly dogs that also can keep to themselves and let her go to them on her own time, one on one, as well as teaching her dogs out and about are safe and not going to zoom up and invade her personal space.
My own dog's traumatic experiences in puppyhood weren't with aggressive dogs, but with overly friendly dogs who pounced on her and tried to initiate play while my ten pound potato shrieked in terror. :rolleyes:

Thank you! :) (I'm not a vettie, just friendly. :))

It has definitely gotten better since she was a puppy. There was a time when she would try to get me to cross the street when she spotted another leashed dog and owner walking down the sidewalk. When she was a really little puppy (<6 months old), she would try to get me to pick her up too.

Now (she's 6), it isn't *every* dog that causes her to have that intense fear reaction. It's dogs that are too intense and pounce on her that are the problem. It's the same with her where it's over-friendliness and not really aggression.

There was a big dog who lived down the road from us when Ginger was a puppy. He looked just like @Abnerrs's dog. :) He would just sit on the sidewalk when he saw Ginger approach and let her come to him when she was ready. That helped her and stopped her being totally intolerant of other dogs.

That's so cute how you call him/her a potato. :) What kind of dog are they?

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I have a mild physical disability. On the one hand, I LOVE that I am out and active again now that the pandemic has subsided and the weather is gorgeous. OTOH, I feel bad I am always having to say to people that I can't walk that fast/that far or that I need to sit for awhile and put a damper on the fun (both mine and theirs).

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not for nothing, I don't understand why we expect a sentient being composed of a wide variety of breeds to all be 100% friendly to 100% of every other living being.

Why is it okay that my husband doesn't like other people, but all dogs have to like all other dogs, people, mongeese, snails, anteaters, etc.?

Reactions: 17 users
My youngest dog ate shrooms at my friends (who is known for doing illegal substances) house….. and spent all yesterday tripping in the vet school ER…. At least I got a discount 😵‍💫

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Thank you! :) (I'm not a vettie, just friendly. :))

It has definitely gotten better since she was a puppy. There was a time when she would try to get me to cross the street when she spotted another leashed dog and owner walking down the sidewalk. When she was a really little puppy (<6 months old), she would try to get me to pick her up too.

It isn't *every* dog that causes her to have that intense fear reaction. It's dogs that are too intense and pounce on her that are the problem. It's the same with her where it's over-friendliness and not really aggression.

There was a big dog who lived down the road from us when Ginger was a puppy. He looked just like @Abnerrs's dog. :) He would just sit on the sidewalk when he saw Ginger approach and let her come to him when she was ready. That helped her and stopped her being totally intolerant of other dogs.

That's so cute how you call him/her a potato. :) What kind of dog are they?
She's an American pit bull terrier mix. She's definitely not a potato anymore, but when I first adopted her she was stuffed with worms and coccidia so she had a massive abdomen on a tiny puppy body. Now though she has a round pit head with well developed, muscular cheeks on a skinny little body.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My youngest dog ate shrooms at my friends (who is known for doing illegal substances) house….. and spent all yesterday tripping in the vet school ER…. At least I got a discount

Shrooms would make work so much more enjoyable I'd imagine.
Must Be Nice Maribeth Monroe GIF by CBS

• Haha
Not for nothing, I don't understand why we expect a sentient being composed of a wide variety of breeds to all be 100% friendly to 100% of every other living being.

Why is it okay that my husband doesn't like other people, but all dogs have to like all other dogs, people, mongeese, snails, anteaters, etc.?
Completely agree.
When people intentionally breed dogs, I am strongly opposed to breeding dogs with aggression or nervousness. I really don't want to purposefully bring dangerous or skitty creatures into the world. However, dogs that already exist (assuming just fearful/defensive in this case, not yeeting themselves through a window to attack other dogs)... Why aren't we giving them space? Like I almost always want to pet dogs, but I don't assume they want to be pet unless they're wiggling up a storm staring at me and conveying with their whole soul they desire my affection-- and then I won't pet unless the owner invites me to or something.
So many dogs might be friendly but also just more interested in their evening walk than stranger interaction, or they're friendly but not with any clown who approaches them menacing yelling "HI PUPPY OMG I LOVE CATERWHODOODLES!"
We should treat dogs in public more like most people treat cats. Admire them from afar but give them the respect and space many dogs want and need.

Shrooms would make work so much more enjoyable I'd imagine.
Must Be Nice Maribeth Monroe GIF by CBS
We were joking that he saw God. He was just looking all around at nothing until he got the lipid effusion 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Not really a rant but sad that I don't have more space to take in the baby buns that just came to the shelter 😭 Gotta get the current fosters adopted. I should really be focusing more on finals.
The bright side: summer break is almost here which means... bottle babiezzz

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Oh also real rant: I was supposed to have an appt with my psychiatrist last week and they canceled without telling me. Told me that my provider no longer covers them. But I really needed that appointment + prescription refills and would've paid out of pocket for that one appointment since finals season is not the time for this. So now I'm rationing my medication and have to find a new psychiatrist asap

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry, @puppydogtor. That was unprofessional of them. Do you have a PCP? Could you call them to explain the situation and see if they'll refill the meds to bridge you until you can get in to see a different psychiatrist? Just an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was attempting to premed an incredibly wiggly disaster dog this morning and definitely hit my index finger joint with the needle.
It does not feel great.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I'll try that - thank you!

My pleasure. :) Another option is to ask to leave a message for the nurse at the psychiatrist's office and ask if another doctor is covering for that doctor and could refill the med. Hopefully between the two of them you'll have luck.

Good luck on finals. We're all rooting for you and here to support you however we can!

Good Morning SDN,
It’s officially we have our first doping allegations out of the Kentucky Derby! Forte (a horse that wasn’t raced due to a vet scratch) failed a drug test in September after winning a race under the NYRA.

But it’s being overshadowed because a former Baffert horse ended up on the KRHC vet list. So everyone is running with the idea that Baffert doped another horse even though the horse was sold at Keenland 2 weeks prior.

• Angry
Good Morning SDN,
It’s officially we have our first doping allegations out of the Kentucky Derby! Forte (a horse that wasn’t raced due to a vet scratch) failed a drug test in September after winning a race under the NYRA.

But it’s being overshadowed because a former Baffert horse ended up on the KRHC vet list. So everyone is running with the idea that Baffert doped another horse even though the horse was sold at Keenland 2 weeks prior.
At least nobody died in the Derby itself, amirite? #oof

So I got into RVC this cycle, the fact that I got in anywhere period my first time is nuts to me, and I except that there things that will just be innately harder due to going to vet school out of the country. That being said I feel so frustrated and defeated that the only thing that would prevent me from going to vet school after all the bull**** to get accepted in the first place is money. I have to come up with close to 9k just to get into the country as a student!! The 10% deposit, visa, NHS fee, and other assorted stuff, not including the travel fare, just feels like a giant boulder tied to my feet right now.
As someone who has never gotten help from their family for school and as a first gen college grad period, I hate that money more than anything is the one limiting factor I have. I can put in 10,000 hours or work experience, have a stellar gpa, and have the best or recommendations to get an acceptance but unless I am privileged enough to be able to fork over the cash I’m SOL. Sometimes it just feels like I should throw in the towel and say that I tried because short of selling feet pics I don’t know how I’m supposed to do this in my own. AND the fact that all of that loan money is waiting on the literal other side of the ocean but is completely inaccessible until I’ve figured it all out first just feels like some cruel joke. Everyone keeps saying that I’ll figure it out and that I should keep my head up and I know they mean well but it feels like empty words. I don’t expect my friends to help me financially, I just want them to listen when I can’t take the platitudes any more, but I feel like I can’t rant to them without coming across as needy.
I was smart, capable, and lucky enough to get into vet school already and I don’t want to defer for a year or pull out and try to roll the dice on another acceptance from another college next year. I really do want to go to London but it seems akin to Everest at the moment.
Does anyone have any stories similar to this to give me hope? Maybe if I could commiserate with someone I wouldn’t feel so alone in this

• Care
Took my dog in for a routine dental, accidentally found a growth on his (edit: empty) scrotum that looks very scary, we removed and sent off for histopath. I’m very scared. Clean bloodwork and thoracic rads at least. Having an old dog is scary 🥹 Oh and he went into first degree heart block! Which yay I could ID on the ecg but also ahhhhhhhhhh.

• Care
Did it go away as he was waking up? Fingers crossed your pupper's bump is benign.
I gave some glycopyrrolate IV and his ECG returned to normal. He’s really deep chested/was on his back/under for a while/old so the attending vet seemed to think that could have caused it. Thank you, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We got really good margins I think so we will see. Didn’t think my own dog would be a teaching case lol.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Longest last couple weeks in a while. My soul cat just got diagnosed with small cell lymphoma. Currently working on getting her anemia resolved and her weight back up. Steroids do wonders but need to see the oncologist who is of course booked out a few weeks. All of this right before we're supposed to move across the country. But I'd do anything for my little lemon cat. Thank god for pet insurance.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I gave some glycopyrrolate IV and his ECG returned to normal. He’s really deep chested/was on his back/under for a while/old so the attending vet seemed to think that could have caused it. Thank you, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We got really good margins I think so we will see. Didn’t think my own dog would be a teaching case lol.
We found a splenic mass on my classmate’s dog on routine ultrasound. So off to surgery for him! I’ve also heard stories about students finding thyroid masses in themselves and other such things.

• Wow
We found a splenic mass on my classmate’s dog on routine ultrasound. So off to surgery for him! I’ve also heard stories about students finding thyroid masses in themselves and other such things.
I found a thyroid slip on an undiagnosed hyperT cat of someone in a different year that brought him in to be used for our physical exam “class” 😂

• Wow
Ok I will admit that’s a whole lot more scary 😧 But it’s better it’s found! Hemangiosarc is like my biggest fear.

An employee at one of our local animal clinics was shot and killed today at work after a fight broke out at the clinic about the cost of services.

Heartbreaking. Scary.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
An employee at one of our local animal clinics was shot and killed today at work after a fight broke out at the clinic about the cost of services.

Heartbreaking. Scary.
Alleged** update:

After a client said they could not pay their bill, they demanded their pet back.
Allegedly, the employee said they needed payment.
The client then pulled out a gun and shot the employee in the stomach, the employee was taken to a hospital and later died.

How sad is this?
Veterinarians and staff are treated like dog crap (no pun intended).
Where else in this world do you get things for free?
Not grocery stores, not malls, not the car dealership, not hospitals…but veterinary clinics have to offer everything free or we are terrible people who deserve to be killed?!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 21 users
Alleged** update:

After a client said they could not pay their bill, they demanded their pet back.
Allegedly, the employee said they needed payment.
The client then pulled out a gun and shot the employee in the stomach, the employee was taken to a hospital and later died.

How sad is this?
Veterinarians and staff are treated like dog crap (no pun intended).
Where else in this world do you get things for free?
Not grocery stores, not malls, not the car dealership, not hospitals…but veterinary clinics have to offer everything free or we are terrible people who deserve to be killed?!
Omg, I read about that earlier. I'm so heartbroken for everyone here.

Heartbreaking. Scary.
This just gave me goosebumps. Gun violence doesn't normally get to me, but this is so sad.

• Care
  • Sad
Also just saw a post that this person is trying to claim self-defense. What bull****. I hope the clinic has cameras and this asshat gets prison time. 😡😡😡😡😡

• Angry
Anyone good with radiology and hip x-rays in particular willing to message me about something?

*Screams into the void over the BS that was preakness*

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Oh? I chose to sleep instead of watch it
Preakness itself wasn’t an issue, but a race earlier in the day caused a catastrophic breakdown during a race where the horse was euthanized on the track and jockey was sent to the hospital. News networks kept cutting away to commercial or other interviews to avoid telling people what was going on.

• Wow
Preakness itself wasn’t an issue, but a race earlier in the day caused a catastrophic breakdown during a race where the horse was euthanized on the track and jockey was sent to the hospital. News networks kept cutting away to commercial or other interviews to avoid telling people what was going on.
The fact that this horse was a Bob Baffert horse and another one of his horses is the one who won the Preakness 🙃

I was having a hard time finding footage of that race itself but finally came across a super short clip, I don't know a ton because I didn't look into it much later but it almost looked like the horse accidentally clipped his fetlock with one of his hind feet while they were coming down the stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a catastrophic sesamoid fracture or if he busted a few tendons/ligaments at the same time. I had been trying to see footage of him running loose on the track afterward to see if it looked like he had a catastrophic suspensory ligament injury but couldn't find anything where it was easy to see how he attempted to bear weight on that left front foot. But the fact that they determined it was more humane to euthanize him immediately on the track rather than load him into the ambulance makes me think it was probably something of that nature where any veterinarian with eyes could tell it wasn't a survivable injury. It's terrible all around.

Husband irritation. That is all. 🙄

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Getting our (nearly 30 yr old) furnace and AC replaced has been fun. I was hoping for a 1.5 day job, but it turned into a 3 day job. Granted we have a crawlspace and getting the furnace down there was a whole thing. Also I made us get a heat pump since they're way more efficient, but the breaker box wasn't set up for it. So instead of having the lovely new heat pump to cool the house, we just had to put up with the first 90° day of the year without it.

Also I am apparently allergic to nitrile, so that'll make life very fun moving through Vet Med. I've been off of work for 4 days and it still looks like I'm wearing one on my left hand. 🙃

• Care
The one star review that says we put them in a room on the floor when in fact all of our rooms have benches...also complaining they did not see a vet...if you did infact come to our clinic then you did infact have a tech appointment and were told *at some point* you would not be seeing a doctor...wrong clinic or just salty?🤔

Also health certs: one o mad because they didn't know they needed a hc to cross state lines and yes I need to know which goats are going considering youre leaving tomorrow and yes they need a scrapie tag or you're not getting a hc from me. Another o very confused when i told him we will get back to him on hc and might have to go back out to their place closer to their leave date because of the vs outbreak. O:"but it only needs seen in the last 30 days when did that change" me: "likely like yesterday" O: ...all the questions were written on their face. I'm sorry I don't have time to explain why a contagious disease means we now have to see your horse within 14 days of leaving.
Just one of those wierd days thanks for listening 🙃

• Care
The fact that this horse was a Bob Baffert horse and another one of his horses is the one who won the Preakness 🙃

I was having a hard time finding footage of that race itself but finally came across a super short clip, I don't know a ton because I didn't look into it much later but it almost looked like the horse accidentally clipped his fetlock with one of his hind feet while they were coming down the stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a catastrophic sesamoid fracture or if he busted a few tendons/ligaments at the same time. I had been trying to see footage of him running loose on the track afterward to see if it looked like he had a catastrophic suspensory ligament injury but couldn't find anything where it was easy to see how he attempted to bear weight on that left front foot. But the fact that they determined it was more humane to euthanize him immediately on the track rather than load him into the ambulance makes me think it was probably something of that nature where any veterinarian with eyes could tell it wasn't a survivable injury. It's terrible all around.

The time I was in the stands for a breakdown on the track requiring immediate euthanasia the horse’s foot was literally flapping around at the fetlock. Compound and all, he was standing on his distal cannon bone. It was awful and it was so hard for me to grasp how they could just keep racing the rest of the day’s card.

• Wow
The growths on my dog (8 yo MN Staffie) came back benign which is yay! Muzzle was a benign melanocytoma and scrotum was “solar induced dermatitis hyperplasia” (??? He doesn’t stay outside much but I do live in Florida.) I was very happy until today I saw another growth that looks like the solar hyperplasia on his side….. I’ve never seen it before today 🤦‍♀️ Doing a cytology and possible removal Monday as the pathology report from the first one recommended excision due to the ability for transformation. This dog is gonna kill me but he’s my world.

Attachments

• 09AB08DA-DAF1-45FD-90FE-6195E6575BC8.jpeg
    09AB08DA-DAF1-45FD-90FE-6195E6575BC8.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 75
The growths on my dog (8 yo MN Staffie) came back benign which is yay! Muzzle was a benign melanocytoma and scrotum was “solar induced dermatitis hyperplasia” (??? He doesn’t stay outside much but I do live in Florida.) I was very happy until today I saw another growth that looks like the solar hyperplasia on his side….. I’ve never seen it before today 🤦‍♀️ Doing a cytology and possible removal Monday as the pathology report from the first one recommended excision due to the ability for transformation. This dog is gonna kill me but he’s my world.
Definitely not a vet but this looks like a histiocytoma to me

Definitely not a vet but this looks like a histiocytoma to me
We will see Monday I guess. Looks exactly like the solar induced hyperplasia that was on his scrotum. Just weird it popped up so fast? If he could stop growing all these things it would be great, but I guess I should just be grateful they’ve all been benign so far 😩

• Care
Sorry for sounding miserable but I feel so dumb sometimes. I grew up poor and as I’m preparing to start vet school it just feels so overwhelming. All of the things I have to prepare, financially and mentally, I don’t know how I could ever afford any of it and asking my also poor family doesn’t make me feel any better. They’re happy to help but I can’t help but feel like a burden, like I should’ve chose something else because now it’s not just my problem.

I also just left my old job to be back home at their request (since I’m moving away and we value family a lot) but now I feel like an idiot because I’ve lost a good source of income (I do have a different remote job but it pays less), I lost my workplace health insurance and I need to see a doctor, etc.

I want to be excited, I AM excited, but I’m also scared, stressed, and tired. I don’t have anyone before me who went to college and I don’t know what to do for loans, and the internet can only clear up so much.

It’s just so much. Sorry to sound so dramatic.

(P.S This stress is not due to COA overall as I knew this going in, it’s mainly due to the short term purchases I need to make while I’m broke and so is my family, like finding an apartment near the school, getting supplies, moving costs, etc.)

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Sorry for sounding miserable but I feel so dumb sometimes. I grew up poor and as I’m preparing to start vet school it just feels so overwhelming. All of the things I have to prepare, financially and mentally, I don’t know how I could ever afford any of it and asking my also poor family doesn’t make me feel any better. They’re happy to help but I can’t help but feel like a burden, like I should’ve chose something else because now it’s not just my problem.

I also just left my old job to be back home at their request (since I’m moving away and we value family a lot) but now I feel like an idiot because I’ve lost a good source of income (I do have a different remote job but it pays less), I lost my workplace health insurance and I need to see a doctor, etc.

I want to be excited, I AM excited, but I’m also scared, stressed, and tired. I don’t have anyone before me who went to college and I don’t know what to do for loans, and the internet can only clear up so much.

(P.S This stress is not due to COA overall as I knew this going in, it’s mainly due to the short term purchases I need to make while I’m broke and so is my family, like finding an apartment near the school, getting supplies, moving costs, etc.)
I think these feelings are all natural. My family has the ability to help pay for vet school, but just like you I don’t want to feel like a burden to them. I’ve wondered if I could go back in time what career path I could have done and nothing is as fulfilling as vet med (unless I was president). I mean there was absolutely no way we were ever going to afford paying for vet school entirely out of pocket to not take out loans. I’ve had the same thoughts as you and some days I just end up spiraling with them. I’ve never had to take out loans before so I’m just as lost as you about how things are suppose to go.

Definitely make sure you sign up with you school for healthcare so you can see a doctor ASAP.

But also the short term things hurt so much, like it feels ridiculous dropping thousands of dollars at once. Just know you’re not alone in these feelings.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Seriously what is it with holiday weekends always being a disaster-everything is always really sick and dying. Yesterday I had to call and tell my colleague that was out of town that his young cat died. She had this wierd leg thing going on for 3 weeks that we were all concerned about, but like that morning she was fine, ate food, purring etc. Tech went in for noon treatments and she had passed away. It's really really crappy having to call your coworker and tell them their pet died when you weren't necessarily expecting them to. Said colleague has also just had a string of really bad luck cases which makes it seem all the worse and they can't catch a break. Calling them and telling them is literally the worst thing I've ever had to do in my career. It was worse than last week when I had to tell my brother and parents that the family dog likely has a brain tumor.

Also my hospitalized AKI dog died. I'm not surprised since he'd been feeling ill for 2 days before he came in, kidneys were majorly trashed, and he wasn't being super responsive to treatment but it still sucks. And of course his people were amazing to work with.

(For a note of positivity (the world is not always doom and gloom) my bloody diarrhea puppy that was not parvo but only weighs 1.9# got to go home and is doing better. She was the cutest sicket little patient there ever was :))

I'm still on call and will likely be solo all this next week too because above colleague needs a mental health day (rightfully so) and is then gone again. Can't wait for next weekend when I'm off. Definately could use some mental r&r.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users

I completely understand where you are coming from. Like Honey said, your feelings are valid. My family is also willing to help but I don't want to burden them.

I have to move a month earlier than I wanted and will lose the money I wanted to earn before I leave. I am stressed off the wazzoo and have to sell everything and pack light since I am moving three states away. Moving costs a lot, buying stuff for the new place costs a lot, and I just want to curl up in my room and scream. I am BEYOND grateful to be put in this situation but trust me this whole moving and money situation is a real fun sucker.

Also shout out to people who are moving more than a state away. I thought moving three states away was BAD.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
You aren't a burden at all, @naivevetstudent. It makes family happy to help you and support the next generation. I don't come from much and can relate to the feeling. Sending my love. <3