PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviews are held on Friday and the admissions committee usually meets that following Monday (unless they are preoccupied). So, if you are accepted you will receive a phone call Monday at the earliest. They are EXTREMELY quick about letting you know! I was in the first interview group (10/8) and the adcom was out of town, so I was called a week after my interview (10/15).

Having a good interview at PNWU truly depends on each individual (sorry, I'm sure you have heard that a million times by now!). By receiving an interview invite, the adcom knows you can complete their curriculum and you are there to see if you are a good match for the school, and vice versa. If you understand yourself, know enough about health reform to have an opinion, have relevant experience, believe in serving the rural and underserved, and are a compassionate, hard worker, and you can effectively explain those things to your interviewers, you will most likely be a good candidate for admission. Look at Koan's post on 11/9 to get an idea of what you may be asked. However, DO NOT memorize these to prepare a script. This is the only time of the application you get to be you, and you need to take advantage of that!

You have plenty of time to prepare, so do yourself a favor and don't stress. Interview day is a great time to meet your competition and talk to current med students. The school is beautiful and the staff are awesome both personally and professionally. I wish you the best of luck and perhaps I'll see you next year eating blueberries. PM me if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ProspMedStudent

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Congrats on your acceptance.

I know it has only been ~6 months or so but does anyone have any updates on how the clinicals are going?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it has only been ~6 months or so but does anyone have any updates on how the clinicals are going?

Clinicals are going quite well!! Students and preceptors are finished with getting acquainted. Evaluations for the 3rd year students is mostly positive and in many instances, hospitals and preceptors are very happy with the students...
some places want more students(one preceptor site stated...some of our preceptors are wondering when will we get a student!??!)
Student evaluations of sites is mostly positive..but like any new program there are glitches and bumps that need ironing out....
overall students are doing well on their shelf exams....Which is the major measuring stick right now!

Did everyone get the secondary invites today?

yeah, i got my secondary invite today as well.
it's weird receiving invites for secondary applications when some people have already been accepted by this school for over a month haha.

I just received my secondary today as well. $175? Little high, don't you think?

I just received my secondary today as well. $175? Little high, don't you think?

I just got mine too. I'm thinking it may be $175 because they pre-screen before sending out secondaries.

In page one of this thread, someone said:

"If I remember from the AACOM booklet, last year they only gave out like 500 secondary applications."

If they are only giving out 500 secondaries, then they probably do pre-screen before the secondaries. So, if you got a secondary invite, you have a pretty good chance of getting an interview.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I just got mine too. I'm thinking it may be $175 because they pre-screen before sending out secondaries.

In page one of this thread, someone said:

"If I remember from the AACOM booklet, last year they only gave out like 500 secondary applications."

If they are only giving out 500 secondaries, then they probably do pre-screen before the secondaries. So, if you got a secondary invite, you have a pretty good chance of getting an interview.

I would also like to know if they do pre-screen. I feel that $175 is certainly a lot after so many other application fees, but if they screen it might be worth it.

Please any info regarding this matter will help me greatly =)

They really do pre-sreen for secondary invites! I heard this from someone who used to be in admissions, so it is worth the extra money!

On another note, I am unfortunately turning down my acceptance from PNWU, so hopefully that opens up a spot for a waitlister. Best of luck!

They really do pre-sreen for secondary invites! I heard this from someone who used to be in admissions, so it is worth the extra money!

On another note, I am unfortunately turning down my acceptance from PNWU, so hopefully that opens up a spot for a waitlister. Best of luck!

Did ya go with Western-Leb instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed on 12/3 received any calls or status updates today? Maybe tomorrow will be the day?

I just noticed my status update online at about 3:45pm PST. I was unfortunately denied, but hopefully things might work out next year. Best of luck to everyone!

For those of you are out of state/region and just received their secondary application and are wondering if you should pay the $175 to apply here, I have some info on your chances.

PNWU does pre-screen before sending out the secondary applications, but it doesn't appear to be too selective. At the end of their pre-screen, they send around 1,500 secondary applications to out of applicants. This is a pretty high amount, so your chances aren't really that great. But if you really want to go here, I guess the $175 should be worth it.

Accepted here yesterday!!! Now for some difficult decisions...:)

Accepted as well. I'm fairly suprised due to the fact I felt I totally bombed the interview. Will be declining the acceptance as I just didn't feel the school was right for me, which is a shame as I've been stalking this school for the past 3 years now.

I got accepted and I am so going to take them up on their offer. I hope to be seeing some of you there. For the people that are contemplating the $175, If it is where you want to go then pay it. If you wouldn't consider this school then I wouldn't pay it. But if you are really planing to be a doctor what is another $175 in the grand scheme of things. Good luck to the people applying.

Last edited:
Sent in my Sec App today... and now for the waiting game!

grenadaboy99 - Sorry to hear. Have you been accepted at other schools this cycle?

Congrats. How did you feel your interview went. How many other school are you accepted at?

I think the interview went well, though it definitely helped to have had a few before. I wasn't a fan of the standardized question format, but it really seems like they are trying to make it fair for everyone. There weren't many questions I hadn't heard in some version before, you just have to remember that getting no reaction from the interviewers after you answer has no reflection on what you've said. Accepted to 3 places right now and still have interviews I plan on attending due to travel plans already set. So, not really sure where I'll end up :rolleyes:.

Accepted while I was at my interview at Rocky Vista, what a day! PNWU is a great school and has great facilities. Everybody seems really tightly knit, almost family. I am very excited about the prospect of attending, just waiting to see what other schools are gonna say.

Accepted last month and sent in my $1k deposit today. Agonizing decision between KCOM and PNWU. Will I be seeing any of you there next year.

Accepted last month and sent in my $1k deposit today. Agonizing decision between KCOM and PNWU. Will I be seeing any of you there next year.

Congrats. Wow, both are great schools. I'm interviewing in February at PNWU and I'm very excited about it. If you look back in the posts I think that someone has created a facebook page for those that have been accepted.

I just got an interview date and by doing a quick google search, I found this forum!

I interview on the 21st of January. I hope to see some of you there!

I do have a question though. Does it improve your chances of acceptance if you interview sooner rather than later? If anyone knows the answer, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I just got an interview date and by doing a quick google search, I found this forum!

I interview on the 21st of January. I hope to see some of you there!

I do have a question though. Does it improve your chances of acceptance if you interview sooner rather than later? If anyone knows the answer, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Yes it does improve your chances if you interview earlier because less seats will be filled. As more seats get filled, the admissions people are generally being pickier about who they let in because they know that not everyone can be accepted.

Hey there I have an interview with PNWU on Feb 11 and it will be my first medical school interview to date. What can I expect, and how do I prepare for this because I would really like to be accepted here!!!!

Just received an interview invite!!! Can't wait...but will have to wait until March?!? Oh well, I'm just happy to be going =)

Interviewing in March. Man I wish it was sooner. I can't wait to get to Washington. How many others for March 4th?

Just received an interview invite!!! Can't wait...but will have to wait until March?!? Oh well, I'm just happy to be going =)

Wow, I got an interview invite last Wednesday, got scheduled for the end of February, but requested an earlier date and got placed in January. Did you request an earlier interview?

Yes I did. It would be nice to move up, at least that way I can see what the area looks like in Winter.

I'm a junior working on my BS right now in the PNW and am really interested in PNWU. I'm from Tri-Cities, about an hour out of Yakima and am really hoping this helps my chances. My GPA is average and I am taking the MCAT in April. I have only a few EC's because I play softball at my university and don't have a whole lot of time outside of class and practice. I do have about 60 hours of physician shadowing though. What can I do to increase my chances for admissions when I begin the application process?

Anything helps, thanks a bunch :)

I'm a junior working on my BS right now in the PNW and am really interested in PNWU. I'm from Tri-Cities, about an hour out of Yakima and am really hoping this helps my chances. My GPA is average and I am taking the MCAT in April. I have only a few EC's because I play softball at my university and don't have a whole lot of time outside of class and practice. I do have about 60 hours of physician shadowing though. What can I do to increase my chances for admissions when I begin the application process?

Anything helps, thanks a bunch :)

You really need some ECs especially if yor GPA is average. Most DO schools place a lot of emphasis on what your ECs are. Also you should apply early if your GPA is average.

You really need some ECs especially if yor GPA is average. Most DO schools place a lot of emphasis on what your ECs are. Also you should apply early if your GPA is average.

I'm at a 3.5 and hoping to bump it up further after spring semester...and I do have ECs, club involvement, volunteering, any suggestions on what i can add to this?

Accepted as well. I'm fairly suprised due to the fact I felt I totally bombed the interview. Will be declining the acceptance as I just didn't feel the school was right for me, which is a shame as I've been stalking this school for the past 3 years now.

Seriously. Its weird, this school was my top choice, and, being from the Northwest, I also stalked this school since learning about its inception. But the actual interview really put me off and I ended up being wait listed here. Oh well, I guess things always work out for the best. Good luck to all!

Hey there I have an interview with PNWU on Feb 11 and it will be my first medical school interview to date. What can I expect, and how do I prepare for this because I would really like to be accepted here!!!!

Hey! My interview is Feb 11th as well and this will be my first too. See you there.

I interviewed last year and they told us how many spots were still un-offered. Those of you who interviewed in Dec, did they give you a number?

I interviewed last year and they told us how many spots were still un-offered. Those of you who interviewed in Dec, did they give you a number?

Nope, no number...I didn't ask but nothing was offered either.

Would the two of you be willing to share what it was that you didn't like?

Well, the entire day was great until the interview. I come from a small town in Idaho but I have never seen a more friendly place than Yakima. The group I was interviewing in was open and friendly, the atmosphere was great, the current students would stop and talk to us. I loved it all. Then at the interview I just felt like I was playing a formal tennis game with a stranger. We went back and forth and they could not deviate from their questions or even provide any emotional response to anything we talked about. Some people enjoyed this format, but I do better in a conversational setting. Afterwards, I felt very put off by the inconsistent and cold interview style coming from such a warm and friendly school. Bottom line: Didn't feel like they got to know me at all/I wasn't able to portray myself as I would have liked to.

In the few minutes between switching subjects to study, I thought I would provide some suggestions to those who will be interviewing at PNWU.

1) Knowing that the interview is standardized, think about ways that you would respond to a question and yet in a way that would also express your personality. If you like to be funny, then don't be afraid to throw in some humor, but "tame" humor. If you are passionate about an issue, think of how you might add that into one of your responses. I am sure if you have reviewed the list of questions, there are creative ways to interject your personality.

2) At the end of the standard portion of the interview, the interviewers and interviewees have an opportunity to ask questions. Consider this an opportunity to ask questions that may reflect your interests or background.

3) Remeber that the interview can be considered a "matching" process as well. The school is trying to determine if you would be a good fit and you as well should be working to determine if you would fit in. School is EXTREMELY stressful and can be made more stressful if the school does not fit you. Make sure to talk with as many students as possible. Ask them candid questions about school life.

Hope this helps and good luck to all!
:)

- Washingtonian
OMS I
Class of 2014
PNWU

PS. Sorry for any typos or grammatical mistakes!

In the few minutes between switching subjects to study, I thought I would provide some suggestions to those who will be interviewing at PNWU.

1) Knowing that the interview is standardized, think about ways that you would respond to a question and yet in a way that would also express your personality. If you like to be funny, then don't be afraid to throw in some humor, but "tame" humor. If you are passionate about an issue, think of how you might add that into one of your responses. I am sure if you have reviewed the list of questions, there are creative ways to interject your personality.

2) At the end of the standard portion of the interview, the interviewers and interviewees have an opportunity to ask questions. Consider this an opportunity to ask questions that may reflect your interests or background.

3) Remeber that the interview can be considered a "matching" process as well. The school is trying to determine if you would be a good fit and you as well should be working to determine if you would fit in. School is EXTREMELY stressful and can be made more stressful if the school does not fit you. Make sure to talk with as many students as possible. Ask them candid questions about school life.

Hope this helps and good luck to all!
:)

- Washingtonian
OMS I
Class of 2014
PNWU

PS. Sorry for any typos or grammatical mistakes!

This doesn't make sense. If PNWU really was trying to pick the right student for their school it makes more sense to me to try to know the person on an individual basis. Yes, knowing in advance that the questions are standardized may be helpful for the interviewee but that doesn't mean that you'll be able to squeeze critical and pertinent information about yourself into a series of unrelated and (sometimes) poorly formulated questions. I felt compelled to "spin" questions asked incase I wasn't asked about particular things later. This to me is a shame and counterproductive. Every other interview I went to had a customized feel to it. We were able to discuss strengths, weaknesses, personal character traits, interests, goals, etc. They were conversational, which lead to me being more open and honest about my feelings. That, to me, is a better way to find out if someone is a good match for your school.

This was one of my hardest interviews due to the fact that there was no room for conversing with the interviewers (until the end when you’re asked if you have any questions). However, even though it was hard, I really do think it was a fair way of conducting the process. I think asking the exact same questions to every interviewee and not allowing for digression really puts everyone on the same playing field, particularly because there are multiple interviewers and often some are not as “kind” as others. In this situation, it really is all about your answers and they’re easily compared to other interviewees. I actually completely agree that the interview process (at all schools) is really to find a fit between you and the school. And I think the questions, although standardized, did offer the chance to show whether you would be a good fit. For example, if I remember correctly there was a question about why I was interested in coming to Yakima, being a small town; this gave me the opportunity to show that although I live in a bigger city now, I am not afraid to move to and perhaps practice in a completely different setting (going into how smaller towns can offer the chance to do a wider variety of things…and so on). Other questions were so open-ended that you could really show anything about yourself (i.e. where do you see yourself in 10 years? – they’re perhaps looking for someone who will say “practicing in a small town and spending the evenings on the porch with my dog” as opposed to “rolling in cash on my way to buy my 5th Benz!” J). I guess I kind of think of PNWU’s interview questions like a standardized test (which has been part of all our lives with the horrid MCAT and I hear our hatred of them is just beginning) – sometimes you leave a test and think “man I studied all this stuff that wasn’t even on the test!” But in the end, hopefully you still managed to answer what was asked. If you feel, during the interview, that something was missed that you feel really passionate about expressing, work it into the end of the interview! You can always ask questions that not only provide you with information but also indicate to the interviewer further info about yourself.

Withdrew my acceptance from here today. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

I would also like to know if they do pre-screen.

...they send around 1,500 secondary applications to out of applicants.

Y'all need to do your homework a little better! ;)

All this information is published on the Student Profile section of their website.

In summary: In the three years past, on average, they've received secondary applications from about 30% of the students who submit primary applications.

is there a list of all the standard questions somewhere?

also, how much time do the interviewers give you to respond to each question? will they cut you off at any point to move on?