PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was emailed my self-service login info on Oct. 7th, and under the "Decision Date" of the application status page it says "Committee / 10/11/2010". It is past the 11th and I am squirming awkwardly. Any insights?

Thanks and good luck to all!

The biggest thing you all really need to consider aside from the board performance is clinical rotations and affiliated residency programs when picking a school. Make sure to ask those questions and get absolute answers before making your decision on a school. I know rotations are a ways off for you all, but they matter now.

You should have until December 15 to send in deposits so make sure to get your questions fully answered before then once you have an acceptance in hand. If they are not answered to your satisfaction ask them on SDN or PM me or another current student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was emailed my self-service login info on Oct. 7th, and under the "Decision Date" of the application status page it says "Committee / 10/11/2010". It is past the 11th and I am squirming awkwardly. Any insights?

It just means that you are up for review with the committee. I got an email from them when I was complete saying that my stuff was sent to committee and should know in two to three weeks.

It just means that you are up for review with the committee. I got an email from them when I was complete saying that my stuff was sent to committee and should know in two to three weeks.

Phew...
Thanks futuredoc.

I am so nervous for Monday! Do you think they will accept a lot of our group because we were the first to interview?
Can't wait for Monday as well! I hope that's the case since we were the first group.

I was complete/committee status on 9/14. The waiting sure does suck.

Whaaa!!?? They're already sending out the acceptances?? I wasn't expecting this til monday. How were you contacted about your acceptance caligirl??

Last edited:
Whaaa!!?? They're already sending out the acceptances?? I wasn't expecting this til monday. How were you contacted about your acceptance caligirl??

Check your portal! I got the big WAITLIST today. Bummed because this was one of my tops. :(

The admissions committee met this morning LeAnn said, so they began to call the people who were accepted! She called about 11:30 this morning. :)

I was also accepted today! First time interviewing, so this felt quite nice. Plus, PNWU is totally awesome! Good luck to those still in the process of interviewing, and to those who have been waitlisted, remember you are still in the game!

Members don't see this ad :)
Roller coaster day for me. Bad interview at DMU and was depressed all afternoon. Took a nap and woke up to acceptance email from Med College of Wisconsin, totally ecstatic. Checked SDN and PNWU portal to see Waitlist, lol. I thought my interview went well?

ME TOO! I'm glad (well not really) that you feel the same way. I wonder how many people from that day were waitlisted? I am confused because I was under the impression that most people would be accepted. I really want to know if it was just the interview or a combination of the interview and stats.

ME TOO! I'm glad (well not really) that you feel the same way. I wonder how many people from that day were waitlisted? I am confused because I was under the impression that most people would be accepted. I really want to know if it was just the interview or a combination of the interview and stats.

My stats were pretty average for the school (23-25Q and 3.6 GPA)...but I think they weighed the interview heavily because they wanted a "good fit" for their school....sorry about the waitlist guys :(

Also WAITLISTed, though my interview went well. I am sad, i really dont understand what went wrong. (27Q, 3.6)

Would have loved to have the option of staying in-state, but I still had a blast chatting with everyone throughout the day.

Last edited:
Got the acceptance call 10/15, interviewed 10/8...

The admissions committee met this morning LeAnn said, so they began to call the people who were accepted! She called about 11:30 this morning. :)

congrats to all who were accepted...rest assured the interviewers and the committee had very difficult choices!

Just thought this tidbit might be useful to those applying later in the game and next year - this school does NOT wait for your new MCAT scores when evaluating your application. I was told my application would be put on a type of 'hold' until my new scores were in...this didn't happen. Best of luck to you all :)

Just wanted to give some encouragment and advice, I applied last year (2009) but was in the last interview group so the class seats were already full by the time I interviewed. I was advised to apply in JUNE 2010 for the entering class of 2011!! Once I did this I recieved an interview invite about 2 months later, I just had the interview two weeks ago (oct 8th of 2010). It was the first interview group of the year and I found out one week later....I GOT ACCEPTED !!! YES, but remember this was my second year applying, only apply if you really really want to go to this school, it was my first choice school and talk to the people there, on the phone, they are very nice and helpful and remember you well. I called like every month just to bug them so they would remember my name. ITs a small school and they really really want to know that you plan on practicing in the PNWU, so you better have some convicning reasons why you will. They are also looking for ppl that have grown up in a rural area, another indication that you can handle the boonies.

The 175 is only worth it if you really really want to go here, I had to pay it twice but I am glad I did, I remember when I first looked into the school I wasnt going to cuz its an astronomical fee, but it also scares alot of people off so there is less competition.

Sent in my deposit and paperwork today! I met some really amazing people when I interviewed so I'm sure that the committee had to make some difficult choices. I look forward to seeing some of you again next August!

So, is the class now full?

The class is definitely NOT full. There has only been 1 interview group of ~25, and not all 25 were accepted (I would guess 1/2 or 1/3 were). With 75 seats to fill, there is plenty more opportunity for people to gain admission.

I noticed that nobody has posted on the Interview Feedback page about the 10/08/10 interviews... it sounds like people had mostly positive experiences, anyone want to share details?

There is not really much to say that hasn't already been said. PNWU is very straight forward about what they are looking for and most, if not all, of the questions are already under the interview feedback. Just be yourself and interact with the many current students you will meet that day to get a feel for if they are the kind of people you could spend the next 2-4 years with. It is also to your benefit to be yourself so that they can see if you would fit into what they are looking for. I can see someone hating life for 4 years if they tried to force themselves into something like this (square peg, round hole, you get the idea). With that said it seems to me like they are not looking for the next Atul Gawande or someone that will travel all over the world saving small malnourished children while simultaneously fighting off hordes of lions one handed. The students there have a connections to small towns, mostly in the northwest, have a strong desire to increase the medical prescence in the non-metro areas of the northwest, or are interested in family practice in rural areas (look at their mission statement on the website as they practice what they preach). Hope that helps.

Are the interview questions less standardized than they were last year? I heard weird stories of people asking follow-up information to questions (like why was my child unsupervised with a hammer in the first place) and they were not allowed to provide information so the interviews could be kept standardized.

The class is definitely NOT full. There has only been 1 interview group of ~25, and not all 25 were accepted (I would guess 1/2 or 1/3 were). With 75 seats to fill, there is plenty more opportunity for people to gain admission.

Oh good! I would love to interview here, I wonder if I still have a chance. I was complete 10/1/10.

Sent in my deposit and paperwork today! I met some really amazing people when I interviewed so I'm sure that the committee had to make some difficult choices. I look forward to seeing some of you again next August!

Did you not get an interview at western or did you not want to do your clinical rotations in Oregon?

Why would you put down a deposit before Dec. 15th?

Just went to the self-service website and under "Decision/Date" it says " "Deny Supplemental / 10/28/2010".

So sad! I thought I was competitive - I'm in state, decent MCATs and grades, plenty of shadowing and volunteer, and interested in primary care and in practicing in rural and underserved communities in Washington state. I was really hoping to at least get an interview. Bummer.

Hmm could just be that there were a ton of applicants with good stats. If ya want, send me your stats and I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out at me.

Just got an email invite to interview at PNWU- I requested January 21st- so excited!!

I talked to LeAnn today and she mentioned that I should set up a Facebook page for those that have been accepted and confirmed for PNWU Class of 2015 in order to get to know each other a little better as well as to have a central point from which PNWU can disseminate information that pertains to our class. I will get that taken care of and will post the link either tonight or tomorrow morning. That being said I am not much of a Facebook guy so if anyone that has been confirmed thinks they can do a better job, is horribly offended at my lack of Facebook "skills", or is otherwise a Facebook "junkie" feel free to contact me on the page once I get it set up.

I talked to LeAnn today and she mentioned that I should set up a Facebook page for those that have been accepted and confirmed for PNWU Class of 2015 in order to get to know each other a little better as well as to have a central point from which PNWU can disseminate information that pertains to our class. I will get that taken care of and will post the link either tonight or tomorrow morning. That being said I am not much of a Facebook guy so if anyone that has been confirmed thinks they can do a better job, is horribly offended at my lack of Facebook "skills", or is otherwise a Facebook "junkie" feel free to contact me on the page once I get it set up.

well if you feel you need to have a faculty contact..I am here for backup..you are doing quite well with this ...and I am sure the new acceptees will flock to ur page!

Last edited:
Alright, the official PNWU class of 2015 facebook page is up. Just search "Pnwu Twetnyfifteen" in the facebook search bar and it should bring up the page which you can friend. Once you send a friend request I will check with LeAnn to see if you are a confirmed student and you can start getting updates about school!

Good luck to everyone interviewing on Friday!

My primary was sent to PNWU 7/22 and as of yet (a full month later) I've received no supplemental invite. I had kind of assumed that secondaries were automatically sent to residents of the Pacific NW and/or graduates of schools in the PNW...although my assumption quite clearly may be incorrect.

Should I contact the school and ask...or just let this one lie?

Any opinions?

OlyWA

You don't do yourself any favors with the subtitle on your posts.

Accepted!!! Interviewed on Friday 11/5 and got a call this morning around 11:30am. So relieved, happy, excited and ready.

The interview day just completely sold me on this school. Sure, it is new and the campus is in-progress. But the facilities seem more than adequate, and more importantly the vision and philosophy of the school shines through even more. I have to agree strongly with others who have said this school is all about the right fit for a particular kind of student -- a strong emphasis on primary care for the underserved, and rural medicine.

If anyone has any questions about the interview, or anything else, feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone!

congrats to those accepted. I am in a scramble. Do you guys know where I can get a copy of the list of 25 questions for this school? PM me if you want.

Thanks!

The biggest thing you all really need to consider aside from the board performance is clinical rotations and affiliated residency programs when picking a school. Make sure to ask those questions and get absolute answers before making your decision on a school. I know rotations are a ways off for you all, but they matter now.

You should have until December 15 to send in deposits so make sure to get your questions fully answered before then once you have an acceptance in hand. If they are not answered to your satisfaction ask them on SDN or PM me or another current student.

I agree with the part about the importance of affiliated residency programs, but not about boards or clinicals. These mean absolute squat. Board scores are completely independent of the school you attend and clinical rotations are overrated in the extreme. At any med school, you dabble a bit in every subject...not enough to really learn how to practice. That's what residency is for. When it comes right down to it, the top considerations for med school are cost, reputation, and location.

I agree with the part about the importance of affiliated residency programs, but not about boards or clinicals. These mean absolute squat. Board scores are completely independent of the school you attend and clinical rotations are overrated in the extreme. At any med school, you dabble a bit in every subject...not enough to really learn how to practice. That's what residency is for. When it comes right down to it, the top considerations for med school are cost, reputation, and location.

I agree.

We both know cost is very high and reputation is good, but just blossoming like it would at any young university.

So that leaves location. If you are not from the state of Washington and you decide to go to school here be prepared to rotate in Washington. An informed applicant should ask for the exact number of seats at each rotation site and the number of students accepted from each state and region. (though these numbers may change the current ones are decent indicators) If there are 15 students from Oregon in your class and only 6 spots in the Portland, Vancouver, Longview area(which is more Washington than Oregon) you should plan accordingly or consider other options for a school to attend if you care about where you do your core rotations.

Some students think its no big deal and that's great. But I assure you that "little" unknown things like this can have a huge impact on family and spouses which will directly effect you as the student. So what's two more years away from home? Well, not much since you'll be busy the whole time, but have fun explaining that to your already stressed spouse who is removed from friends and family (or in my case... me). Two years is a short time, but it may just be the only thing your spouse is looking forward to and to take that hope away when it should have never been there is really hard. Have fun studying when you're trying to keep your life together too. Rotation location and absolute honesty about where and how many seats is very important as to not build any false hopes.

Hope that makes more sense.

I will add that there is great support for students and spouses at PNWU and they do care very much about the married couples. However, being as informed as possible before matriculating or even applying will make for less "surprises" later. I don't want to be misunderstood here, so I will also add that I do like PNWU and am enjoy being here though I do miss forest covered hills, muddy trail running, and rain. The classes are good and getting better, the facilities are top notch and very clean, classmates are great, and the staff is overall very approachable, personable, and reasonable.

Too many things are blown way out of proportion on SDN so I don't want this getting out of hand. Every student will run into some kind of hardship during school. This one happens to be the one I'm faced with and I think I could have avoided it had I known more before matriculating.

Last edited:
Ahhh, you meant location of clinicals. Gotcha. Then I definitely agree with you. My school had all rotations sites within few miles of each other, so I hadn't considered that aspect. Sound advice.

I was also accepted today! First time interviewing, so this felt quite nice. Plus, PNWU is totally awesome! Good luck to those still in the process of interviewing, and to those who have been waitlisted, remember you are still in the game!

I just scheduled my interview for Feb 11th. I'm curious how long after your interview were you accepted?

Can you give any tips about having a good interview at PNWU? My interview is in February and I want to make sure that I am well prepared.