**Official PASS 2024 Pediatric Dentistry Residency Interviews/Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
during the match process, do the programs let you know that they are going to rank you or is that not allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

during the match process, do the programs let you know that they are going to rank you or is that not allowed?
If I remember correctly, they are not supposed to say things like, "you're gonna be our number 1 pick!"

However, statements like, "we intend on ranking you" can be said.

In my past experiences, I can't recall a time when a program ever mentioned about ranking me. I've heard other things such as, "we'd think you would be great fit for our program".

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, is it a common practice to email the program director or chair of the program and inform them that their program is our top choice in the match?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, is it a common practice to email the program director or chair of the program and inform them that their program is our top choice in the match?
You are allowed to email the program director and let them know that you plan on ranking them, but are not allowed to say specifically that they are your #1.

Reactions: 1 user
NYU Langone PGY-2 resident here. I’m sharing my experience for any applicants who are thinking about having babies in residency. I’ve had the best experience with NYU Langone. When I was applying, i didn’t know how great the benefits were. I encourage you all to ask about the benefits at other sites you interviewed at

1) I took an 8 week PAID leave of absence/maternity leave. I have to make up the time at the end of residency, but I’ll still get paid when I’m making it up. And I’m so happy I got to take that time to be home with my baby. As a private practice associate, you’ll never get a paid maternity leave again. Might as well enjoy it!

2) health insurance is amazing. My hospital bill was over 17,000 and I paid 1,700.

3) I didn’t use this benefit but know NYU Langone offers amazing benefits if you want to freeze eggs for the future

My site attendings were all super supportive and I couldn’t ask for a better situation. Best of luck to you all!
Which location are you in? I heard the experience varies significantly amongst locations

How does match work? Are candidates matched only to one program or they can be matched to multiple programs then we choose one? Also if we are matched to a program, is it possible they change their mind and not sent the invitation letter?

Here's a video
How does match work? Are candidates matched only to one program or they can be matched to multiple programs then we choose one? Also if we are matched to a program, is it possible they change their mind and not sent the invitation letter?
Here's a video that should help:

Yes, candidates are matched to only one program and, no, once you are matched the program cannot change their mind, I believe they have 10 days to send you the official letter. Same goes for the applicant, if you change your mind after being matched you will be blacklisted and cannot participate in future match cycles.

If you don't match, is it best to do a GPR/AEGD or work as a general dentist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do programs give financial aid to cover cost of living like dental schools?

Do programs give financial aid to cover cost of living like dental schools?
Depends on the program - some provide a stipend which is your salary for the year, some have a stipend + tuition, some are tuition only.

Did anyone get a call from Temple/Cooper saying that they were ranking them? I know they were doing that last year

Does anyone know why Children’s Hospital Colorado has had so many post match spots in recent years? I know this has been discussed a bit in previous threads, but I was curious if anyone had additional insight.

Does anyone know why Children’s Hospital Colorado has had so many post match spots in recent years? I know this has been discussed a bit in previous threads, but I was curious if anyone had additional insight.

For the longest time, from what a resident told me and CU students told me, they seemed to only accept Ivy League students or students from the “prestigious” dental schools. They wouldn’t even rank CU students who do rotations on a regular basis there. Along with that, often they are there late every day and it’s a pretty rigorous and demanding program. Some of the faculty really aren’t the best. They have been trying to make some changes recently in directors, faculty, and culture, so I think a lot is changing there. But yeah last year they didn’t match 6/8 spots. Pretty brutal.

Ok so just being paranoid with match rankings - I just want to confirm that there is absolutely nothing else left to be done after we submit our rankings for certification and receive the email that the rank order list has been certified? Is there anything else we must do? 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Last edited:
Did Houston contact anyone to let them know they are ranking you? Or do they not do that

Anyone have an opinion on whether Houston or Dallas's program is better? The idea of getting a Masters at Houston is nice, but is it worth taking on more loans? I keep going back and forth. Never thought ranking would be so difficult.

Anyone have an opinion on whether Houston or Dallas's program is better? The idea of getting a Masters at Houston is nice, but is it worth taking on more loans? I keep going back and forth. Never thought ranking would be so difficult.
Not worth the extra loans. Went through the same thing between a hospital certificate or MS program. Don’t regret doing the certificate route.

Both are solid programs, you can’t go wrong with either. Future you will thank you for the less debt to pay back!

can someone please confirm that we have NOTHING to submit besides a certified rank list lol
Ok so just being paranoid with match rankings - I just want to confirm that there is absolutely nothing else left to be done after we submit our rankings for certification and receive the email that the rank order list has been certified? Is there anything else we must do? 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 8 users
Last year was 8:06am EST. Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to everyone tomorrow morning! No matter the outcome, we all put a lot of work into our applications and showcasing all of our hard work and passion about becoming pediatric dentists 🫶

Reactions: 2 users
refreshing my email like crazy ... WHERE IS IT

Reactions: 9 users
Got my email .. thinking it's alphabetical!

Good luck and congratulations to everyone! I wanted to share a fellowship opportunity for anyone looking for a position. It’s at an amazing pediatric clinic in Wisconsin, great compensation, fulfilling work, and really comprehensive experience. Please reach out with any questions; I’m happy to answer anything as well as the dental director, Dr. Studders. Congrats and best wishes!

Www.smilegb.org

[email protected]

Attachments

• Fellowship Information.docx
    25.1 KB · Views: 50
Good morning!

Congratulations to everyone who matched! We have an open position available to interview for at Staten Island University Hospital/ Northwell Health in the Pediatric Dental department. GPR completion REQUIRED in order to apply for open position.

Please email a copy of your PASS application to [email protected].

Good Luck! We look forward to speaking with you!

Lincoln Medical Center is a new pediatric dentistry residency program in Bronx, NY with Initial Accreditation from CODA. We are currently accepting applications for 1 non-match position for the coming year for the second class of residents starting in July 2024. For more information, please visit AAPD | Lincoln Medical Center. If interested in applying, please contact Kamir Rodriguez at [email protected] or 718-579-5051.

Nemours Children's Hospital is looking to fill another position. Please contact Dr. Maria Velasco at [email protected] for more information.

Good luck!!

Last edited: