Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot_Girl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 25 min too long to commute for externships? Or is that average?

Members don't see this ad.

No great, not terrible.

There was another thread about this same topic.
Figure out if its worth it to you personally from a cost/time benefit.

Are you waking up at insane hours to round?
How's the traffic?
How much money are you saving living that far vs closer?
Do you have reliable transportation?
Is this an externship you super duper want or just a warm up?

I personally would pay a reasonable premium to be closer. More time to myself, more time to sleep, rest, workout, eat, do things you need to do outside of the clerkship.

Reactions: 1 user
It all comes down to how much sleep you’re willing to give up in order to commute. Anything under 30 minutes is good enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Many externships my average was 70-80 minutes for commuting, with some places requiring as much as 2.5 hours for a commute.

I had only 1 externship where my drive was less than 30 minutes regularly.

Some days I wondered how I could be so tired, but then I remembered I had driven nearly 6 hours in a day on top of the surgery, clinic, academics, etc.

Driving fatigue is real.

Many externships my average was 70-80 minutes for commuting, with some places requiring as much as 2.5 hours for a commute.

I had only 1 externship where my drive was less than 30 minutes regularly.

Some days I wondered how I could be so tired, but then I remembered I had driven nearly 6 hours in a day on top of the surgery, clinic, academics, etc.

Driving fatigue is real.
I went through a tank a gas every other day (sometimes every day) in my residency. Just listen to some good music, audiobooks, etc. and know it’s temporary 🙂

Reactions: 1 users
just wait until residency starts lol.

just wait until residency starts lol.
I would live closer to those locations for residency so I’d be driving less. The externship location I chose was because it was free. Not everything is “wait until residency”.