This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Klge23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I noticed the lack of a Facebook group and also of any posts/threads for Pod WesternU students that commute to school. I’m an incoming 1st year (yay class of 2023) and I’m looking for advice/options/guidance on how people go about organizing carpools, if there is a website or page already for carpools, and what it is like for those commuting. I would also appreciate advice on how to get a car (plan B) on a student loan budget. I’m in the Anaheim/Fullerton/Orange area if that helps. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

so I noticed the lack of a Facebook group and also of any posts/threads for Pod WesternU students that commute to school. I’m an incoming 1st year (yay class of 2023) and I’m looking for advice/options/guidance on how people go about organizing carpools, if there is a website or page already for carpools, and what it is like for those commuting. I would also appreciate advice on how to get a car (plan B) on a student loan budget. I’m in the Anaheim/Fullerton/Orange area if that helps. Thank you!

I noticed from the other thread that you are from out of state. Anaheim/Fullerton is a good 30+ miles to the school. Why not settle somewhere closer to cut down on the commute time?

I noticed from the other thread that you are from out of state. Anaheim/Fullerton is a good 30+ miles to the school. Why not settle somewhere closer to cut down on the commute time?
I am considered “out of state” since I’ve lived many years outside of Cali but I’m from Anaheim, and my mom is still in the area so that trumps spending $1000+ in rent to be in the immediate area to WesternU. We are looking at moving as a family closer to the brea area but that might not be for a little while.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am considered “out of state” since I’ve lived many years outside of Cali but I’m from Anaheim, and my mom is still in the area so that trumps spending $1000+ in rent to be in the immediate area to WesternU. We are looking at moving as a family closer to the brea area but that might not be for a little while.
Oh and it’s 23 miles from me :)

The 57 is an absolute nightmare especially for your morning and evening commute, especially around the 60 interchange. I'd expect it to take you about an hour and a half to get to school, same deal going back. Would not recommend.

I lived at home (~30 miles away) and commuted each day, going with traffic. Living at home may not be ideal but can be financially beneficial in the long run.

To offer some perspective: It is absolutely possible to avoid high traffic times by studying on campus longer and getting to campus earlier. You may also use the hour break to unwind from a full day of lectures and listen to a podcast. If you anticipate the inconvenience of living further from campus, and plan accordingly, it will not be a detriment.

Living on- or near campus certainly has its perks and you'll have to weigh the pros and cons of either option. Congrats on your acceptance into one of the greatest colleges of podiatric medicine and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
My class has a group of students who carpool from Fullerton to WesternU every day. I think the post above might have been referring to the 57 south (towards OC), which is a nightmare in the morning. The 57 north (towards WesternU) is clear in the mornings and it takes the carpool about 20-30 min to get to campus! Most people stay late on campus to study, so you’d probably be fine going home. The best way to form a carpool group is to just talk to classmates and feel it out. I haven’t seen a page for organizing carpools anywhere unfortunately. All the commuters in my class say that they had a great experience living at home and commuting during their didactic years. Good luck and welcome!!

My class has a group of students who carpool from Fullerton to WesternU every day. I think the post above might have been referring to the 57 south (towards OC), which is a nightmare in the morning. The 57 north (towards WesternU) is clear in the mornings and it takes the carpool about 20-30 min to get to campus! Most people stay late on campus to study, so you’d probably be fine going home. The best way to form a carpool group is to just talk to classmates and feel it out. I haven’t seen a page for organizing carpools anywhere unfortunately. All the commuters in my class say that they had a great experience living at home and commuting during their didactic years. Good luck and welcome!!
Thank you so much! This was really helpful