Externship Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisstupid11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a reasonable commute to externships when considering where to live? Is 1 hour away unreasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

depends if this externship expects you to take call. If it’s a pretty standard, 9-5 clinic with some OR then I think an hour is doable if you’re getting free rent. More than that I would want to live much closer

Reactions: 2 users
Take into account rounding. You could start rounding as early as 0430 or as late as 0800.

If rent is free, 1hr is worth it. If not, rounding early mornings and beating traffic back isn't worth the extra you'd pay to sleep in 1 hour more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd echo it totally depends on the clerkship (schedule, call, add-on cases on weekends, etc).

You really want to immerse yourself into the month if it's a place you might want to interview/match (should be, otherwise why pick it?). You want to do rounds/clinic/OR there, but there will also usually be at least a few evening academics, social events, etc during your month.

The best thing to do on externships is actually to stay with a resident if that's available... it'll be close, usually cheap, and will definitely give you the best perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
For reference I’m currently commuting around an hour each way to my clerkship. I’m staying with relatives who love 38 minutes away. With poor weather + traffic the drive is closer to an hour (and sometimes more). Don’t get me wrong driving this far can be very annoying, but saving 1000+ dollars on rent is 100% worth it. I highly recommend doing this if it’s an option especially if you have rotations after interviews.

I’m a morning person so I’m managing but there have been some days where I’m getting up at 3:30am to make it to early morning academics/rounding so keep that in mind.

For reference I’m currently commuting around an hour each way to my clerkship. I’m staying with relatives who love 38 minutes away. With poor weather + traffic the drive is closer to an hour (and sometimes more). Don’t get me wrong driving this far can be very annoying, but saving 1000+ dollars on rent is 100% worth it. I highly recommend doing this if it’s an option especially if you have rotations after interviews.

I’m a morning person so I’m managing but there have been some days where I’m getting up at 3:30am to make it to early morning academics/rounding so keep that in mind.

I concur with @bob121213 . I too am currently commuting about 75 minutes each way, but it being post-interviews/post-match is a huge reason why I'm doing this (in addition to the free rent). If it was a program I was trying to impress and be on my top A game for before January, I would likely consider staying closer to the hospital.

What is a reasonable commute to externships when considering where to live? Is 1 hour away unreasonable?
I had a 90 min commute each way for one rotation. It saved me $2.5K on Airbnb cost. Mornings were miserable but it was only for a month. All my other commutes were short (less than 30 minutes, typically 15). To me, it was worth it.

You could email the program to get in touch with a current resident and ask general questions about typical rounding times, distances between hospitals, traffic, day/night call, and where they would recommend staying.

If they ask, just let them know you're trying to figure out where to stay. Try not to give them the impression that you're too lazy for 5 am rounds and call ;)

I stayed at home for 2 of my clerkships. Commute was an hour each way or more. Honestly its super doable but it really depends on their expectations of you. I wasn't required to round so it made the choice super easy to stay at home. Time management is super important fourth year, as well as cutting costs however you can. Fourth year can be stupid expensive and adds up quickly.

I stayed at home for 2 of my clerkships. Commute was an hour each way or more. Honestly its super doable but it really depends on their expectations of you. I wasn't required to round so it made the choice super easy to stay at home. Time management is super important fourth year, as well as cutting costs however you can. Fourth year can be stupid expensive and adds up quickly.
when do they tell you what their expectations are for rounding, how early you need to get there, etc.

when do they tell you what their expectations are for rounding, how early you need to get there, etc.
I thankfully had friends at those programs so i reached out a few months before i started. I definitely still think its doable with a long commute even if they expect a lot out of you in terms of rounding/clinic/surgery etc, you just have to be effective with time management when you get home.

It varies, typically you'll hear from a program 1-4 weeks before your rotation about that kind of stuff.

I reached out to my fellow classmates/upperclassmen who rotated at the program or a current resident for every single program I went to in order to plan things ahead of time.

Most programs won't mind at all. Many have an assigned resident who is a student coordinator and they're happy to take questions by email, text or phone.

Just don't be too annoying about it. Have a list of questions to ask and ask them. Be brief and to the point. Be enthusiastic and pleasant. Don't act like you're trying to get out of work.

Every day on an externship is a job interview. You wouldn't want to be late for a job interview. Live close. At most, it's like a month.
listen to this if 1.your parents/family are rich 2. you dont give a **** about your student loans. just leave earlier if you have to if you're making a commute and time it accordingly. you will regret renting a car/overpriced air BnB

I lived at home during one of my externships. The driving would often be 3-5 hours a day.

But it still saved a bunch of money.