Commute to campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORDPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my wife and I may buy a house about 25 mins from campus ($500/month for mortgage, tax, insurance and HOA on a 3 bed home that isn't even 4 years old) but I need to be sold on a 25 min drive every day to class.
Any thoughts from somebody who commutes or has commuted like that before?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you have to drive? Is there public transport, so you don't have to worry about gas, tolls and parking?

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as that 25 minute drive doesnt turn into an hour commute at five oclock or 7 - 8 a.m. Completely depends on the city. My commute to school is 25 minutes and its not an issue at all. But I'm from the country where everything is a 25 minute drive so it wasnt a big deal for me.

Glendale, both the house and campus are just off the 101, and I drive an '06 civic that generally get 35 mpg. A friend of a friend has a similar commute to MWU every day and says hes going opposite to traffic. I'll have to check into the public transit.
On a side note, my wife went to the podiatrist this morning and turns out she fractured her ankle in 3 places! she'll have a nice cast for a little while

Depending on which way you are headed on the 101, traffic can suck. You may have to plan your commute to not drive at rush hour. It can be a mess right around 8:00 sometimes trying to get on campus, for example. If you plan it right, it isn't bad. Overall, 25 minutes isn't bad, but it still is almost an hour each day that you won't either be studying or with your family.

Do you guys have podcasts that can be downloaded to an mp3 player? 25 minutes is really nothing, if it is consistently 25 minutes and you only have to do one round trip a day. You may also want to consider where your rotations will be in 3rd year.

I drive 20 minutes each day. Great way to mentally prepare in the morning and unwind in the afternoon

Glendale, both the house and campus are just off the 101, and I drive an '06 civic that generally get 35 mpg. A friend of a friend has a similar commute to MWU every day and says hes going opposite to traffic. I'll have to check into the public transit.
On a side note, my wife went to the podiatrist this morning and turns out she fractured her ankle in 3 places! she'll have a nice cast for a little while

what area are you looking at? living 20 minutes away is possible. dont even think about public transit, its a joke. there are certain areas that flow well without having to take the freeways, but it just depends on where you want to live, and how nice of a neiborhood you want to live in.

i never went to mwu, but i lived 10 minutes away. (near 67th and jomax) that is all side streets. and it is a nice neiborhood. if you want a lesser neighborhood, just go south on 59th or 51st. drive about 10 min south on 51st at the speed limit, you shouldnt normally hit the lights, and that will lead you to the maryvale area (not a great section of town, but cheap houses, as long as the investors havent snapped them all up)

sorry if that is too much info,