Scholl Possible Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AzAg

Thanks and Gig'em
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Scholl in the fall but I have a slight predicament.

My fiancé and I will be getting married this summer. She will (more than likely) be working either downtown or in Schaumburg. So we are trying to figure out the best housing situation for the both of us.

Would it be possible for me to commute from an area closer to downtown taking the train? It's very important to me to do well in school so I don't want to do anything that would compromise that.

What would the commute be like for her from the school to downtown or to Schaumburg if we went that route? I would prefer that she not take the train just for safety reasons.

I'm from Texas and the only time I've been to Chicago was when I went for my interview so I have no idea what the traffic is like or exactly how the public transit (train) works. We will be taking a trip to look at apartments at the end of April or early May so I'm just trying to narrow our search.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig'em!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with daily commuting, but I know there are a handful of people from every class that do the daily commute. If you live somewhere on the north side of the city you should be fine. The metra (metrarail.com) has many stops and will drop you off at a station very close to campus. Scholl has a shuttle that takes people to and from the station. Overall the commute will suck, but just use the time to get some studying done and don't forget to catch the express train.

Schaumburg is about 35 miles from RFUMS. With traffic, the commute could be up to an hour each way, in the winter more like 2.5 hours with the snow. The city may be a bit easier because of the train (which I know nothing about).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so Schaumburg is definitely out of the question. I would be miserable spending 5 hours a day in traffic and that would make studying impossible. Do you know what the commute would be like from Schaumburg to the Evanston area?

That seems like a reasonable area for me to commute to and from school on the Metra.

Evanston isn't that far from RFUMS, so the commute would be similar, maybe a little shorter. Its about 30 miles, but with traffic it will still be close to an hour. I used to live in Schaumburg, but that was before I could drive and was concerned about commuting anywhere. I don't have much experience with the train system in and out of the city. Chicago traffic can be crazy, especially in the winter.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd live somewhere on the north shore. As previously mentioned the metra has a lot of stops, including one in lake bluff which will shuttle you to and from Scholl. Basically one of y'all are gonna hate life commutting. Welcome to Chicago. We loved Chicago though. Just graduated from Scholl and am back in Texas for residency. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user