BCOM GME question :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlebowski_DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the GME set in place for BCOM.

Are there going to be spots for these specialties for each graduating class? Or is this ONLY for the first graduating class? For example, there are 15 spots for ortho surg. Are these also going to be open for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... graduating classes?

The description can be a little misleading: "Developing strong GME partnerships in advance of BCOM’s first admitted class demonstrates BCOM commitment to its students’ success."

I'm not sure if it's stating that it is for the first class, or if it is opening spots for the first class and beyond.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

15 total spots means they'll be accepting 3 interns every year. Ortho residency takes 5 years to complete, 3 new residents each year, that's 15 residents total. So yeah, 3 spots will be opened for each subsequent graduating class of 150.

Advice from me: If you want Ortho go MD, the DO route will make it extremely difficult for you to get an Ortho spot.

15 total spots means they'll be accepting 3 interns every year. Ortho residency takes 5 years to complete, 3 new residents each year, that's 15 residents total. So yeah, 3 spots will be opened for each subsequent graduating class of 150.

Advice from me: If you want Ortho go MD, the DO route will make it extremely difficult for you to get an Ortho spot.

Not all of those 150 students would want to match into Ortho.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never said all 150 want ortho, but I bet it’s definitely more than just 3 (or more than 10). Also, this program will be open to everybody to apply to, even MDs, and although BCOM students might get special preference, but you can expect the PD to hire the best persons for the job even if this means accepting MD students and/or other more competitive DO students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are there going to be spots for these specialties for each graduating class? Or is this ONLY for the first graduating class? For example, there are 15 spots for ortho surg. Are these also going to be open for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... graduating classes?

1. That ortho program is very weak and will not make the merger unless something drastically changes.
2. They don't have 15 ortho spots, they have 3.
3. Those spots aren't reserved for BCOM students and will receive applications, and auditions, from the most competitive DO students in the country.

I would avoid BCOM like the plague. The stories I've been told by some of their students I've met auditioning at our programs have been horrific. That school will screw you over and not even blink.

Reactions: 2 users
I never said all 150 want ortho, but I bet it’s definitely more than just 3 (or more than 10). Also, this program will be open to everybody to apply to, even MDs, and although BCOM students might get special preference, but you can expect the PD to hire the best persons for the job even if that mean accepting MD students and/or other more competitive DO students.

My question would be why would they explicitly list the program on their homepage when there isn't any some sort of special treatment for BCOM students?

My question would be why would they explicitly list the program on their homepage when there isn't any some sort of special treatment for BCOM students?
My 2 cents is that it looks good and students think they would get some sort of special treatment so they come to the school so they put in on the front page for everyone to see.

To get poor suspecting applicants to think they have a real shot at ortho if they go to BCOM.... the fact they advertise it as 15 spots is telling. Unless the school itself is funding the residency program they have zero say in if BCOM students get special treatment (they won’t).

This is all moot anyway because they aren’t going to make the merger.

Reactions: 1 users
To get poor suspecting applicants to think they have a real shot at ortho if they go to BCOM.... the fact they advertise it as 15 spots is telling. Unless the school itself is funding the residency program they have zero say in if BCOM students get special treatment (they won’t).

This is all moot anyway because they aren’t going to make the merger.
I did check the website and they do have 3 students per PGY, so it is in fact 15 spots. But as you said, it won't make the merger, so it doesn't even matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I did check the website and they do have 3 students per PGY, so it is in fact 15 spots. But as you said, it won't make the merger, so it doesn't even matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

I know it is, but to advertise it as "15 ortho spots!" is incredibly misleading because it's functionally only 3 spots. Having heard what I've heard about BCOM I'm pretty confident it is designed to be intentionally misleading. It makes them look like they are doing a lot more than they actually are.

So you’ll pay the deposit...

Reactions: 1 users