Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like I’ll be at UCC in the fall as a GEM student! Anyone else attending UCC this fall?
Me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck this week, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I am sorry to crush your dreams but I am at TD right now and the banker says they updated their policy two days ago. The current policy asks for a co-signer with 250M (million) money worth in TD. I believe it is a typo though. 250 K maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to crush your dreams but I am at TD right now and the banker says they updated their policy two days ago. The current policy asks for a co-signer with 250M (million) money worth in TD. I believe it is a typo though. 250 K maybe?
Confirmed. This is a French M abbreviated for mille, 1000. So 250 k consigner TD asset for a maximum of 325k.

Last edited:
seems that this link cannot be shared. I believe you guys have paid the deposit and received correspondence from Atlantic Bridge?

I found 2023 but not 2024. Do you have the link?

Hey! Just joined the group and I'm also starting in UCC GEM for September! Can't wait to meet you guys there!

Just wondering what you guys are planning to do with living accommodations...I noticed that the residence there is only available until mid-May and the GEM program goes until early June in first year. I'm kinda wary of finding a random place in Cork without being able to see it before I rent, but it looks like that might be what we have to do.

Hey! Just joined the group and I'm also starting in UCC GEM for September! Can't wait to meet you guys there!

Just wondering what you guys are planning to do with living accommodations...I noticed that the residence there is only available until mid-May and the GEM program goes until early June in first year. I'm kinda wary of finding a random place in Cork without being able to see it before I rent, but it looks like that might be what we have to do.
I doubt if you can do that. My friend at RCSI in Dublin said she had to do public viewing on site before signing the lease.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt if you can do that. My friend at RCSI in Dublin said she had to do public viewing on site before signing the lease.
Oh dang well that's annoying. I guess going to Cork a few weeks before the start of orientation to see the site and sign the lease is what I'll have to do?

Oh dang well that's annoying. I guess going to Cork a few weeks before the start of orientation to see the site and sign the lease is what I'll have to do?
I am not sure. I am guessing what she was viewing was very hot on market so they had an open house. The UCC accommodations should let you stay over the summer, no?

Last edited:
UCC accepts me but rejects my dog and my boyfriend lol.

I am not sure. I am guessing what she was viewing was very hot on market so they had an open house. The UCC accommodations should let you stay over the summer, no?

I'm not sure... when looking at applications for residence, the applications close on March 18th, and the period of occupancy is August 29th 2020 - May 15th 2021. I emailed the UCC contact from Atlantic Bridge to see if there is a way I would be able to extend that period into June, since GEM won't finish it's first year until the beginning of June (this year's class is finished on June 5th). I haven't heard back yet.

I'm not sure... when looking at applications for residence, the applications close on March 18th, and the period of occupancy is August 29th 2020 - May 15th 2021. I emailed the UCC contact from Atlantic Bridge to see if there is a way I would be able to extend that period into June, since GEM won't finish it's first year until the beginning of June (this year's class is finished on June 5th). I haven't heard back yet.
AB knows little about specific schools. Try this one [email protected]

Anyone have an update on the second round of interviews for any of the GEM schools? I know its a tough shot now but the second round of interviews is giving me a 1% hope

Anyone have an update on the second round of interviews for any of the GEM schools? I know its a tough shot now but the second round of interviews is giving me a 1% hope
It should start end of March/beginning of April. Limerick is also April

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email back from Atlantic Bridge about housing. Accepted GEM (email said all schools) will be getting an email from AB in April about how to book housing.
UCD GEM - We are listed on SISWeb as Non-EU Undergrad so that we get priority housing.

Is anyone considering finding an apartment rather than the recommended housing?

Is anyone considering finding an apartment rather than the recommended housing?

It probably would be best to take student housing in the first year, then find someone to split the apartment bills with during Y1. If I'm accepted, that's what I plan on doing: student housing Y1, Y2+ better fitting housing. That being said, the student accommodations could be stellar because they're meant for med students.

This is coming from a non-trad perspective; I have the bias that student housing is, at a minimum, always noise polluted and often loud. I can only study alone and with no persons around because my attention emulates that of a squirrel, so this is why I must get into private housing. In essence, nothing is worth risking my ability to learn efficiently.

Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) ;)
Hi I am a Canadian IB student who has been looking into this program for a few years now. Do you know the ball-Park of marks required for high school students to be competitive to be accepted to the medical universities? Thank you!

Looks like I’ll be at UCC in the fall as a GEM student! Anyone else attending UCC this fall?
Hi I am a student keen on applying next year, would you be able to share your stats? Thanks!

Just received an offer for the 5 year program!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I wish everyone good luck :)
Hi Would you be able to tell me your stats (like country, marks, extra curriculars)? I’m trying to gauge an understanding of competitive marks as they don’t report anything other than minimum cut offs.
Warm regards,
Ariana

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone else hasn't received any email back yet and what that might mean? I've currently got an offer from a non-irish school that needs a response in May, but I'd like to accept earlier so I can take care of things like Visa/housing etc, so not sure how much longer I should wait to hear back from the Irish Schools :(
And congrats to everyone who's been accepted!

Cheers

Hi I am a student keen on applying next year, would you be able to share your stats? Thanks!

Of course!

I'm a US Citizen.
MCAT: 524
Undergraduate GPA: 3:39
Post Bacc GPA: 4.0 GPA
I have lots of research experience with 3 publications.

Good luck applying next cycle! Let me know if you have any questions.

Of course!

I'm a US Citizen.
MCAT: 524
Undergraduate GPA: 3:39
Post Bacc GPA: 4.0 GPA
I have lots of research experience with 3 publications.

Good luck applying next cycle! Let me know if you have any questions.
That is a massive MCAT number! I think higher than most Harvard matriculants!

Hi I am a Canadian IB student who has been looking into this program for a few years now. Do you know the ball-Park of marks required for high school students to be competitive to be accepted to the medical universities? Thank you!
There are no "ball-park marks". There are many students who have matriculated with B's and C's and even more that have been rejected with straight A's. It is all about your experiences and abilities that make you a successful applicant. Do your best academically (don't burn yourself out) and seek plenty of extracurricular opportunities such as research or volunteering. Don't sweat the stats as much.

If you would prefer a numerical value, the majority of medical schools consider GPAs of 3.5 or above (out of 4.00) to be competitive. But, as I have said, there are exceptions to everything. It happens.

Cheers

Last edited:
Given the current Covid-19 situation, is anyone attending the UCD event in Toronto?

For anyone deciding between UCD and RCSI GEM, what are your thoughts on both? I am having a very hard time deciding between the two. RCSI is more expensive but right in the heart of the city. Many Irish students (not medicine) that I know say that UCD would be most of their top choice however. Any suggestions?!

I am an RCSI student in my 4th year (of the 6 year program). Feel free to ask any questions

Is there a Facebook group for UCD 4-year 2020 entry?

I am an RCSI student in my 4th year (of the 6 year program). Feel free to ask any questions
Hey! I’m likely committing to RCSI, but for the GEM program. I have a ton of questions!

I see you’re from the states, so how does the matching back process feel to you? How is the support? Also if you have any info on the clinical electives in the US, like how competitive they are to get, are they guaranteed, the process, etc.
Thanks in advance!

I was planning on to. The university has not yet cancelled or postponed it.
UCD itself is closed.
Hi there, what is the UCD event in Toronto? Thanks!
It's an event at the Intercontinental about the program presented by the Dean and Associate Dean along with a recently matched Canadian resident. Atlantic Bridge told me they would be arranging a webinar or recording of the event.

Hi, I emailed them directly about this and yeah the meet & greet in Toronto is cancelled and they'll be holding a session via webinar. They'll be sending an official letter on Monday to explain with further details.

Reactions: 6 users
I got accepted to UCD about 2 weeks ago and want to get to know more people so I made a groupme for any UCD GEM students if anyone wants to join it the link is below.

You're invited to my new group 'UCD GEM 2024' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Hey!
Do you think there’s a chance of getting in if I just applied in March or do you think I’m too late?

Hey!
Do you think there’s a chance of getting in if I just applied in March or do you think I’m too late?
I've heard of people applying in March and getting in! You definitely have a chance.

UCD itself is closed.

It's an event at the Intercontinental about the program presented by the Dean and Associate Dean along with a recently matched Canadian resident. Atlantic Bridge told me they would be arranging a webinar or recording of the event.

Hey! do you know where the recording of the event is? Facebook or youtube? I think it will be very helpful!!

Happy St-Patrick's Day! Are Irish medical school interviews still taking place?