Atlantic Bridge 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how applicants are ranked post interview? How much do stats matter at that point? Is it more based on the interview itself?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
Feeling a little bit discouraged here... I haven't heard back from any Irish med schools and I applied in September. I applied to TCD, UCC, NUIG, and RCSI. Anyone else in the same boat? I did receive an interview for the University of Toronto so I'm sure my stats are fine.

Hello!
Feeling a little bit discouraged here... I haven't heard back from any Irish med schools and I applied in September. I applied to TCD, UCC, NUIG, and RCSI. Anyone else in the same boat? I did receive an interview for the University of Toronto so I'm sure my stats are fine.
Hi! I haven't heard anything yet for the 5 year program and I'm also feeling a bit discouraged. I applied in late December to NUIG, RCSI, UCD, and UCC. I thought my stats were pretty good (93.5% m/s in highschool, 3.98 GPA, lots of volunteering, shadowing, scribing, some research). I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad. I have not heard anything since.
I also emailed AB last week and they haven't responded. They refused to give me any information on the phone as well.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I haven't heard anything yet for the 5 year program and I'm also feeling a bit discouraged. I applied in late December to NUIG, RCSI, UCD, and UCC. I thought my stats were pretty good (93.5% m/s in highschool, 3.98 GPA, lots of volunteering, shadowing, scribing, some research). I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad. I have not heard anything since.
I also emailed AB last week and they haven't responded. They refused to give me any information on the phone as well.
With a GPA like that I wouldn’t even consider Ireland lol

With a GPA like that I wouldn’t even consider Ireland lol
Honestly, I don't think a very high GPA guarantees anything these days! Just based off of the statistics reported in my rejection letters from a few Canadian medical schools, 90% to 98.2% of applicants face rejection. When you have over 5,500 applicants competing for ~100 spots, you're going to get many people with GPAs over 3.90 and amazing extracurriculars, so how do you pick? Everyone is qualified and deserves a chance to be interviewed.

I'm just surprised with the Irish med school admissions because I heard it was a lot easier to get in. But perhaps they are facing more applicants due to COVID-19... I know so many people who've gotten in in the past - and these people didn't even have the qualifying GPA to apply to Canadian medical schools.

Honestly, I don't think a very high GPA guarantees anything these days! Just based off of the statistics reported in my rejection letters from a few Canadian medical schools, 90% to 98.2% of applicants face rejection. When you have over 5,500 applicants competing for ~100 spots, you're going to get many people with GPAs over 3.90 and amazing extracurriculars, so how do you pick? Everyone is qualified and deserves a chance to be interviewed.

I'm just surprised with the Irish med school admissions because I heard it was a lot easier to get in. But perhaps they are facing more applicants due to COVID-19... I know so many people who've gotten in in the past - and these people didn't even have the qualifying GPA to apply to Canadian medical schools.
I agree. It's more about luck in Canada and admission is probably biased to some degree. I know many people with good applications that have applied over and over in Canada and they haven't been accepted. I don't feel like spending a couple of years in limbo so I thought Ireland would be a good experience. I would also be more than happy with a low competition specialty like family medicine or IM in the future and it seems like lots of CSAs are getting into those so I think getting a residency in one of those as an IMG wouldn't be impossible.
As for Atlantic Bridge, I honestly think they are facing a large backlog. They seem to be very busy and aren't responding as quickly as they normally would and I would assume since applicants don't receive offers directly from the schools all of the pressure is put on AB.

Have u applied to Canadian schools? How about USA. With a high GPA you can Deffs get in.

Hey guys, just heard this from my admissions officer. I applied for the 6 year and had an interview for RCSI back in Feb.

University College Dublin has released their second round of offers.
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and NUI Galway have released their first round of offers.

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the same waiting game for dental. Just heard from my officer that when an advisor states 'offers have been made', it doesn't exactly mean that they've been sent out, more so that the school has just selected students, and AB is to send out offers. If that's why no one is hearing back, it's likely because they haven't been sent out directly yet. Hope this was helpful and hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm currently in the same waiting game for dental. Just heard from my officer that when an advisor states 'offers have been made', it doesn't exactly mean that they've been sent out, more so that the school has just selected students, and AB is to send out offers. If that's why no one is hearing back, it's likely because they haven't been sent out directly yet. Hope this was helpful and hang in there!
That’s great to know! Thank you!

why did my Admissions Officer say TCD still have not started assessing international applications?

why did my Admissions Officer say TCD still have not started assessing international applications?
I would take that information with a grain of salt. My admissions officer told me today that all of the Irish schools have released their first round offers - I don't think that can be true. I don't really know if the information they're providing us is accurate at all.

Hey everyone! Couple of questions... not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but may as well lol!
So I've received an offer of admission to Buckingham in England and I have an interview for Limerick on April 6th. I have questions in regards to residency - I have been told that in England, if you can't get back to Canada/US for residency, it's not a big deal because you are basically guaranteed a spot in England (if you pass obviously). Does anyone know if this is true? I was also told by someone else that you are only guaranteed an intern spot, not residency spot.. but from what I understand you go right into foundational training (basically residency for family doctor) right after school... so am I guaranteed a spot there???
And in Ireland, I know that spots are very competitive for residency (again, if I don't match back to north america) but that it may be easier if I am an EU citizen. I do have the opportunity to become a dual citizen (EU) so does that mean I have higher chances for securing residency in Ireland?
Basically... if I have the option of going to England or Ireland... what should I pick??? Any help is appreciated because my head is spinning with these questions lol

Hi all! I got into Dalhousie Med so I will be rejecting my RCSI offer, hopefully my spot goes to one of you! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Couple of questions... not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but may as well lol!
So I've received an offer of admission to Buckingham in England and I have an interview for Limerick on April 6th. I have questions in regards to residency - I have been told that in England, if you can't get back to Canada/US for residency, it's not a big deal because you are basically guaranteed a spot in England (if you pass obviously). Does anyone know if this is true? I was also told by someone else that you are only guaranteed an intern spot, not residency spot.. but from what I understand you go right into foundational training (basically residency for family doctor) right after school... so am I guaranteed a spot there???
And in Ireland, I know that spots are very competitive for residency (again, if I don't match back to north america) but that it may be easier if I am an EU citizen. I do have the opportunity to become a dual citizen (EU) so does that mean I have higher chances for securing residency in Ireland?
Basically... if I have the option of going to England or Ireland... what should I pick??? Any help is appreciated because my head is spinning with these questions lol
It is possible to match back to the US from English medical schools, however since it is less common for students to do this you will likely have litte to no support from the medical school (compared to Ireland where you will have many classmates looking to match back to North America.) Matching in England is also possible following medical school in Ireland. It seems that matching to Ireland for residency is extremely difficult as a non-EU citizen, and impossible for competitive residencies. Your chances improve if you gain EU residency, however and Irish residency spot is only guaranteed if you gain admission to an Irish school through the CAU portal (which is only available to EU and Irish citizens at the time of application.)

I was told by someone at Atlantic Bridge that TCD has already sent out first-round offers, yet my Admissions advisor just emailed me saying that they won't send out offers until next month... I feel they are not giving us the right information.

I was told by someone at Atlantic Bridge that TCD has already sent out first-round offers, yet my Admissions advisor just emailed me saying that they won't send out offers until next month... I feel they are not giving us the right information.
Does this 'until next month' mean beginning or end of Apr? My AD even told me TCD has even not started processing international applications yet.

Does this 'until next month' mean beginning or end of Apr? My AD even told me TCD has even not started processing international applications yet.
They said TCD will respond with offers before April first? When did you hear from your AD

I spoke with my admissions advisor yesterday and she said that they don't know when in April, but that it will definitely be during that month

It is possible to match back to the US from English medical schools, however since it is less common for students to do this you will likely have litte to no support from the medical school (compared to Ireland where you will have many classmates looking to match back to North America.) Matching in England is also possible following medical school in Ireland. It seems that matching to Ireland for residency is extremely difficult as a non-EU citizen, and impossible for competitive residencies. Your chances improve if you gain EU residency, however and Irish residency spot is only guaranteed if you gain admission to an Irish school through the CAU portal (which is only available to EU and Irish citizens at the time of application.)
Hmm.. I didn't realize matching to England after going to Ireland was an option... that changes things a bit! Would you say it's relatively "easy" to match into England from Ireland? As a canadian citizen, that is. If so, do you think I'd be better off going to Ireland over England? (if I get in, of course) I'm not sure how difficult it would be to obtain electives in North America without the support of my school :/

Hmm.. I didn't realize matching to England after going to Ireland was an option... that changes things a bit! Would you say it's relatively "easy" to match into England from Ireland? As a canadian citizen, that is. If so, do you think I'd be better off going to Ireland over England? (if I get in, of course) I'm not sure how difficult it would be to obtain electives in North America without the support of my school :/
It would definitely be more challenging to do relevant electives/research/shadowing in the US without the support of the school. That being said, if you truly are interested in doing your residency in England I think there is a noticeable price difference between the cost of Irish schools and English ones. If you do go the Ireland route and apply to residency in England, you would be considered an EEA medical graduate when applying for the foundation year training, which makes you chances quite good - Im not sure about the exact stats. Certain regions will obviously be more competitive, but the process of applying also sounds much less stressful than the process for the US. My plan is to prepare for residency in the US and apply there, but also apply to the UK and Ireland if the US does not work out or I become more interested in a competitive residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

I recently learned about this program and applied to trinity and RCSI last week. Am I late in applying? I am a little confused on the timeline of the cycle. I applied to the 4 year programs.

Stats:
Gpa 3.5
MCAT: 510

Thank you for any advice you can give.

How are we feeling about UL interviews guys? Getting nervous as Friday approaches.

Has anyone heard of people getting off of RCSI's waitlist for 5-year program?

Hello all! I have an interview with UL for Friday. Anybody that had the interviews today able to provide any tips?

Congrats!

A lot of us have not heard back yet.
Do you mind sharing your stats?
3.8 GPA with 5 courses per semester, molecular biology major (they be doing some holistic view of ur grades so I guess amount of courses would matter). No clinical volunteering experience, decent reference letters (COVID screwed me over so I had to go back to my high school teacher and work manager), and a personal statement that I am extremely proud of.

3.8 GPA with 5 courses per semester, molecular biology major (they be doing some holistic view of ur grades so I guess amount of courses would matter). No clinical volunteering experience, decent reference letters (COVID screwed me over so I had to go back to my high school teacher and work manager), and a personal statement that I am extremely proud of.
I also completed my application at the very end of January.

For anyone who interviewed with Limerick on April 6th, do you know how long we have to wait until we hear back? I have an acceptance to Buckingham that I have to decide on by May 5th so I'm hoping to hear from Ireland before then so I can make a final decision.

For anyone who interviewed with Limerick on April 6th, do you know how long we have to wait until we hear back? I have an acceptance to Buckingham that I have to decide on by May 5th so I'm hoping to hear from Ireland before then so I can make a final decision.
They said max is two weeks!

Did everyone who interviewed for UL get emails last night regarding the applicant portal? Among other things it said "Thank you for submitting an application for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery to the University of Limerick." Does it seem odd to anyone that we'd just get this message now after having submitted applications to Atlantic Bridge so long ago? I'm not sure how to interpret these emails...

Did everyone who interviewed for UL get emails last night regarding the applicant portal? Among other things it said "Thank you for submitting an application for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery to the University of Limerick." Does it seem odd to anyone that we'd just get this message now after having submitted applications to Atlantic Bridge so long ago? I'm not sure how to interpret these emails...
i got a few of these too... i wonder if everyone got them?