2023-2024 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No OOS secondary yet. Worry is just a part of the process, or so I tell myself :D

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No OOS secondary yet. Worry is just a part of the process, or so I tell myself :D

UCSF admits 70% of IS and 30% OOS candidates but is highly selective in offering secondaries. Based on last few year's information on SDN, only 36-40% of applicants receive secondaries, and the process can continue until September or October. If you receive a secondary, that's a positive sign, but if not, it's just part of the application process. Don't worry; there are other opportunities out there.

did anyone get an application complete email after submitting the secondary? I received one that says "Secondary Submitted" and I'm not sure if that's the same as "complete".

did anyone get an application complete email after submitting the secondary? I received one that says "Secondary Submitted" and I'm not sure if that's the same as "complete".
I only got a “secondary submitted” email!

Hi all, please don't freak out about not getting a secondary immediately from UCSF. UCSF is one of the few schools that screens applications significantly before secondary invite. I was verified in early July and didn't get a secondary for UCSF until September or something like that. I think it was the last secondary I received of the cycle. I didn't hear back about an interview until January and then interviewed in February. Heard back in March about my acceptance.

If any of y'all have questions regarding the application process at UCSF please feel free to reach out via private message and best of luck!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Hi all, please don't freak out about not getting a secondary immediately from UCSF. UCSF is one of the few schools that screens applications significantly. I was verified in early July and didn't get a secondary for UCSF until September or something like that. I think it was the last secondary I received of the cycle. I didn't hear back about an interview until January and then interviewed in February. Heard back in March about my acceptance.

If any of y'all have questions regarding the application process at UCSF please feel free to reach out via private message and best of luck!

Wow! That is very motivating. Thanks for sharing. Do you have valid information about the percentage of OOS applicants receiving secondary applications? Also, I’ve heard that receiving an II at UCSF could indicate potential success in the application cycle. I understand that an II here might assure success at other solid programs as well because it signifies a sort of assessment measure, given their stringent screening of applications. Could you share where else you’ve received interviews and acceptances?

Last edited:
Wow! That is very motivating. Thanks for sharing. Do you have valid information about the percentage of OOS applicants receiving secondaries?
Nope but I got in as OOS (TX resident). The majority of my classmates are from CA though, something like 60-70% CA residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, I edited the message above by the time you answered it. Do you agree with this interpretation that an II at UCSF serves as a sort of measure of an applicant's competitiveness? Can you share your journey?

Sorry, I edited the message above by the time you answered it. Do you agree with this interpretation that an II at UCSF serves as a sort of measure of an applicant's competitiveness? Can you share your journey?
I think getting an interview invite from any medical school is a great indicator that an applicant is competitive for that school. BUT this process is a crapshoot.

Getting an interview invite from UCSF means that you align well with UCSF's mission. I also know that UCSF has a much higher post-II acceptance rate compared to other institutions - meaning that if you are invited to interview here, your odds are higher to be accepted than if you were invited to interview at most other medical schools. (There's others like UCSF but not many)

However, just because you get an interview invite here doesn't guarantee acceptance here or at another school. And vice-versa not getting an interview invite here doesn't mean not getting an acceptance at another school.

I have friends that got into Stanford, Harvard, and Johns Hopkins that didn't even get a secondary from UCSF. I also have a friend who only got into UCSF and no other schools. Success at one school doesn't indicate success at other schools as they are quite different and value different attributes in a candidate.

PM me if you want more information regarding my cycle as I don't want to take the thread too off track.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
I think getting an interview invite from any medical school is a great indicator that an applicant is competitive for that school. BUT this process is a crapshoot.

Getting an interview invite from UCSF means that you align well with UCSF's mission. I also know that UCSF has a much higher post-II acceptance rate compared to other institutions - meaning that if you are invited to interview here, your odds are higher to be accepted than if you were invited to interview at most other medical schools. (There's others like UCSF but not many)

However, just because you get an interview invite here doesn't guarantee acceptance here or at another school. And vice-versa not getting an interview invite here doesn't mean not getting an acceptance at another school.

I have friends that got into Stanford, Harvard, and Johns Hopkins that didn't even get a secondary from UCSF. I also have a friend who only got into UCSF and no other schools. Success at one school doesn't indicate success at other schools as they are quite different and value different attributes in a candidate.

PM me if you want more information regarding my cycle as I don't want to take the thread too off track.

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. Sorry, did not mean to take the thread off track. But I feel this info will surely help all applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS received!!! Huge weight off my shoulders… verified 6/2, 521 and 3.92 sGPA

• Love
OOS Secondary Received

• Care
Secondary received 07/26 at 7.37pm CST

OOS verified 06/01 11am CST

*happy wiggle*

• Love
does UCSF ghost if you didn't receive a secondary? congrats to everyone receiving!

• Hmm
Lmao at all the high stat out of state applicants receiving their secondary at the same time 😭 congrats everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Lmao at all the high stat out of state applicants receiving their secondary at the same time 😭 congrats everyone!
🤔Wouldn’t be shocked if they had some algorithm behind the scenes that sorts apps and affects the order they review in

Me with my LM 70 thinking I’ll get an OOS secondary: 🤡
UCSF’s probably has the least emphasis on stats out of almost any school. Not sure if they still do it but during the two pandemic cycles I believe they were MCAT blind even while giving out II’s.

Reactions: 3 users
UCSF’s probably has the least emphasis on stats out of almost any school. Not sure if they still do it but during the two pandemic cycles I believe they were MCAT blind even while giving out II’s.
Wow I didn’t know that! Good to know, I feel a little bit more hope now

+1 OOS received, verifies 6/9 but recommendations were not sent until later in the month, GPA 3.94, MCAT 518

Last edited:
Where it says to select the programs you wish to apply, can anyone else not select more than one or am I silly and they are combos?

+1 OOS secondary received, LM ~83, verified 6/23

Does anyone know if they pre-screen MCAT section scores? or MCAT at all? Sooooo bummed I haven't gotten a secondary yet. And seeing all these high stat applicants getting them makes me feel like I might've been screened out due to stats....

Does anyone know if they pre-screen MCAT section scores? or MCAT at all? Sooooo bummed I haven't gotten a secondary yet. And seeing all these high stat applicants getting them makes me feel like I might've been screened out due to stats....
i haven't gotten one either with decently high stats, it's prob in batches or by verification date i'd guess/hope

• Care
They're not crazy stringent on stats. I mentioned it earlier somewhere buried in this thread but UCSF probably has the least emphasis on stats out of almost any school. Not sure if they still do it but during the two pandemic cycles I believe they were MCAT blind even while giving out II’s.

The high stat applicants getting them at once might (pure speculation here) just be an algorithm behind the scenes affecting the order of review and not necessarily that they're screening out non-high stat applicants.

• Care
I'm very certain they are MCAT-blind for pre-secondary screening based on what I have heard from my friends who attend the school, so keep your head up king/queen! 👑

They take a long time to screen, someone I know who attends there didn't get their secondary until September.

• Care
I'm very certain they are MCAT-blind for pre-secondary screening based on what I have heard from my friends who attend the school, so keep your head up king/queen! 👑

They take a long time to screen, someone I know who attends there didn't get their secondary until September.
Trying to stay hopeful..... Thank you!!! <3333

+1 OOS secondary! So excited, had totally convinced myself I was screened LOL

If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree.
For those of you who graduated in 2023, how long is your response to this question?