2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the prompt regarding service activity, are yall interpreting that as just volunteer or can it be occupational?

Members don't see this ad.

For the prompt regarding service activity, are yall interpreting that as just volunteer or can it be occupational?
if by occupational you mean you got paid for it, I would say no. IMO the question seems to clearly insinuate community service (read: not a job), but I think it would be fine to talk about a service activity *and* and a related job/job with a similar takeaway message, but not just a job

Reactions: 1 user
if by occupational you mean you got paid for it, I would say no. IMO the question seems to clearly insinuate community service (read: not a job), but I think it would be fine to talk about a service activity *and* and a related job/job with a similar takeaway message, but not just a job
Thanks! Most of my volunteering has been in the community setting and not healthcare so I was hoping I could pull from work experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Most of my volunteering has been in the community setting and not healthcare so I was hoping I could pull from work experience.
The two service activities I talked about for this question weren't directly healthcare related but have impacted my understanding of healthcare and my desire to pursue medicine (what the question is asking). Idk if that's the way to go but 1- same here that most volunteering is not in the healthcare setting and 2- my one that is I talked about a lot in PS and MME so I didn't have much else to say about it that wouldn't be repeated

For the academics section, should I list schools I just took additional summer courses at?

How do we know if our application is considered "complete"? mostly, how do we know if UNC got our LORs from AMCAS or not

Got an email saying my fee waiver didn’t go through.

Hello! I checked last year it was around August 22nd and the year before August 27th for the first round of IIs!
Awesome, thanks so much! - I do wonder if they will start later this year, given they released secondaries at the end of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy folks! Anyone here from last year's forum? Sent my app in a few days ago so just waiting to hear back now.

Hey guys! Current MS1! The curriculum at UNC has changed quite a bit this year so if there is anything you would like to know please feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 4 users
how can i DM you?
You can click on @El_Adelantado's user name and select "start conversation."

My understanding is that the curriculum update provides students with more flexibility in studying for STEP 1 via online self-paced instruction while preserving in-person small group sessions for clinical skills. Is that correct?

Reactions: 1 users

My understanding is that the curriculum update provides students with more flexibility in studying for STEP 1 via online self-paced instruction while preserving in-person small group sessions for clinical skills. Is that correct?
thank you!

Hey guys! Current MS1! The curriculum at UNC has changed quite a bit this year so if there is anything you would like to know please feel free to DM me!

So cool to see someone from last years thread as an M1 this year! Glad you're enjoying it friend.

They are relying more heavily on BricksRx/USMLERx which is an online resource. However, they are doing a flipped classroom, where you read this stuff beforehand and then go to lecture. This happens 3 times per week. We do have NBME exams now rather than in house though, which is very good for exposure to STEP 1 style questions. You have a small group you work with for about 10 minutes and the rest is lecture time. There is another small group session called case based learning which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like and is actually pretty fun!

For prompt #2, can life experiences include clinical work experiences? This always confuses me a bit because I assume this is a bit of a diversity essay

No question but I hope you're doing okay with yesterdays happenings. You guys are in our thoughts:(

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
No question but I hope you're doing okay with yesterdays happenings. You guys are in our thoughts:(
^^ We should also be more patient in our communications to UNCSOM if they understandably take longer. I hope that you all are doing okay!

Reactions: 2 users
Do people see "complete" in their application portal? I know we're not getting completion emails, but in my portal it still just says "application submitted" and its been quite a while.

Do people see "complete" in their application portal? I know we're not getting completion emails, but in my portal it still just says "application submitted" and its been quite a while.
Mine says submitted too and looking back at 2021 when I applied the first time that's what it still says. So I think we're good.

Did any reapplicants receive an II?

what does IS means
IS stands for ‘in state.’ You’ll also see OOS which stands for ‘out of state.’ Metrics for interview invites (II’s) and acceptances (A’s) differ mainly for public schools regarding IS vs OOS applicants. That’s why it’s common for people to specify when posting things like interview invites.

Congrats to everyone with interviews! What options of interview dates did y'all have?

Can anyone who has done their interview share their experience? I have no idea what to expect and have just gotten the timeline of the day from Unc

Do y'all think the Student Q&A's are important to do before your interview day or does it not matter when you join one? My interview day is 9/21 so the only Q&A before is this afternoon, but I'm somewhere with weak wifi/no business attire, so thinking about joining the 9/24 Q&A?

I'm pretty sure that they took attendance at mine when I interviewed last year so yeah I would find a way to go to one.

Does anyone know how long interviews will be sent out for?

They sent out IIs pretty much the whole cycle until like January last year.

Have they sent any more IIs since 8/31?
I can’t speak to this. But the admissions office is in the middle of moving into the new medical school building which opened just this week. I would expect some delays while they transition their offices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I can’t speak to this. But the admissions office is in the middle of moving into the new medical school building that opened just this week. I would expect some delays while they transition their offices.
Oh ok makes sense, I didn’t know this. Thanks! :)