2023-2024 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Are all these acceptances for early decision?
No, they're for normal applications. The AAMC didn't let schools release most acceptances until October 15th, but since that was a Sunday they're coming out today for most schools.

Reactions: 1 user
hey everyone! congrats to all who’ve gotten a’s! i submitted my secondary and got the currently under review email on 10/1, any estimate on when i should be fully reviewed?

Did anyone get accepted that has a 49x

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance yesterday! I'm a current M1 here at Howard. I haven't been here too long to know everything about the school lol but I can try my best to answer any questions y'all have about the school.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance yesterday! I'm a current M1 here at Howard. I haven't been here too long to know everything about the school lol but I can try my best to answer any questions y'all have about the school.
When during the cycle apply and Did you get acceptance early or later cycle?

When during the cycle apply and Did you get acceptance early or later cycle?
If I remember correctly:

8/25- submitted my application
9/19- application reviewed email
9/21- interview invite
10/25- zoom interview
10/28- accepted

Do most students tend to live alone or is having a roommate pretty common? Also, where do most students tend to stay? I’m an accepted student and I’m like 95% sure I’ll be attending HUCM.

Does anyone have the link to the Facebook group? It was mentioned in the acceptance packet, but I didn’t see a link.

Do most students tend to live alone or is having a roommate pretty common? Also, where do most students tend to stay? I’m an accepted student and I’m like 95% sure I’ll be attending HUCM.
I commute from home in a neighboring Maryland County via the Washington Metro. While some students choose to live in DC, it's really expensive. Some instead live in cities close to DC like silver spring or Hyattsville (both in Maryland). Some commute from Virginia if they already lived there too.

Whether more prefer to have roommates or not, i can't say because I haven't asked most people, but I think it's just up to personal preference and your own finances.

If I remember correctly:

8/25- submitted my application
9/19- application reviewed email
9/21- interview invite
10/25- zoom interview
10/28- accepted
You got an acceptance (10/28) 3 days after ur interview on 10/25?😳

At the interviews they told us they have meetings on Thursday to review applicants and make their final decisions for the week/past week. So looking at the calendar for 2022 assuming they did it on Thursdays then it looks like they interviewed Tues, the adcom team met Thurs, then sent out the notice on Friday.

At the interviews they told us they have meetings on Thursday to review applicants and make their final decisions for the week/past week. So looking at the calendar for 2022 assuming they did it on Thursdays then it looks like they interviewed Tues, the adcom team met Thurs, then sent out the notice on Friday.
Yeah i did. Basically what Stoasty said. when they released decisions that day, it was not just for my interview cohort, but also people who interviewed a week or two previously. They told us we could get decisions as soon as that friday after the interview, no guarantee, but it just depended if they finished the people ahead of us first. And well, they actually did to my surprise

Yeah i did. Basically what Stoasty said. when they released decisions that day, it was not just for my interview cohort, but also people who interviewed a week or two previously. They told us we could get decisions as soon as that friday after the interview, no guarantee, but it just depended if they finished the people ahead of us first. And well, they actually did to my surprise
Ooh congrats!! Please what are your stats if you do not mind sharing?

I commute from home in a neighboring Maryland County via the Washington Metro. While some students choose to live in DC, it's really expensive. Some instead live in cities close to DC like silver spring or Hyattsville (both in Maryland). Some commute from Virginia if they already lived there too.

Whether more prefer to have roommates or not, i can't say because I haven't asked most people, but I think it's just up to personal preference and your own finances.
How expensive is really expensive? Are we talking San Fran/NYC rents?

How expensive is really expensive? Are we talking San Fran/NYC rents?
I know a student who is paying $1900/mo while living with a roommate to be able to be close to school. In contrast to ~$1100-$1200 for people I now who chose to live in a nearby Maryland city with a roommate. Those are just a few examples. I didn't really look too much into housing since I commute.

Some students will rent houses together as another cheaper alternative

Once you're added to the Facebook group, towards the end of the app cycle/academic year, upperclassmen will post openings in their apartments/houses if they're looking for roommates

Reactions: 1 users
@ People who received II’s: how long after the app reviewed email did you get the II?

@ current HUCM students or students that got II in the past years: anyone received an II more than a few days after the app reviewed email?

i submitted mine aug 23, got the received and reviewed email on the 18 of october. is it safe to say i won’t be getting an interview?

i submitted mine aug 23, got the received and reviewed email on the 18 of october. is it safe to say i won’t be getting an interview?
From what it looks like, you’re fine. I got my reviewed email Oct 18 as well. I saw someone here who was reviewed mid September and got the II early Oct. Someone else got it a week after the app reviewed email. There doesn’t seem to be a specific time between reviewed and II. If I don’t get an II in the next week I’ll just assume I’m not strong enough to be among the early interviewees but I’ll keep my hope that I’ll get something next year.

From what it looks like, you’re fine. I got my reviewed email Oct 18 as well. I saw someone here who was reviewed mid September and got the II early Oct. Someone else got it a week after the app reviewed email. There doesn’t seem to be a specific time between reviewed and II. If I don’t get an II in the next week I’ll just assume I’m not strong enough to be among the early interviewees but I’ll keep my hope that I’ll get something next year.
I got reviewed sep 1 and still nothing…

@ People who received II’s: how long after the app reviewed email did you get the II?

@ current HUCM students or students that got II in the past years: anyone received an II more than a few days after the app reviewed email?
That’s why I asked the questions above. Because surely there are apps that get reviewed and put in a different piles like a definitive R list, a definitive interview asap list, and possible other lists that include weaker applicants that they’d accept but just interview late after they’ve interviewed their best applicants (don’t mean best in stats but overall)
I got reviewed sep 1 and still nothing…

Do you think you got the A only because of improved MCAT? Or did you add other things to your app?
It probably wasn't just my MCAT; I'm sure there are a bunch of people in my school who had under 500.

I did add some new activities. I added a new clinical experience (just about 90 something hours though) and new non-clinical volunteering (less than 20 hours at time of application) and both were ongoing. I also wrote an entire new personal statement and edited the descriptions of old experiences that I had on my 2021-22 application. Also i submitted later in the cycle my first time.

I got it. It's at the very bottom of the portal. Here are the questions @chilly_md

8. Was your childhood home located in a rural, urban or suburban area?
Rural
Urban
Suburban

9. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

10. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

11. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

12. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.) (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

21. Did COVID-19 impact you preparing your AMCAS application for fall 2024? (i.e. volunteer/work experience, financially, course registration, MCAT testing, etc.) [Please respond Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less, indicate N/A if not applicable]
0/2000

22. Why Howard University College of Medicine?
Do we go based off the character limit or by the 250 word count?

I got the II literally the next day after my app review e-mail. Howard by far has been the best about communication to me throughout the cycle.

Class of 2027 matriculation profile in case anyone is curious:
8599 AMCAS applications
8466 AMCAS verified
5454 Secondary applications
386 interviews
314 acceptances
130 matriculants

Gender breakdown: 68 women, 61 men

3 IS/121 OOS/5 international students

Academic Stats
504 average MCAT
3.44 average science GPA
3.57 aveage overall GPA

I think those are the most important stuff to know, but if theres something else in the picture you want to know and the picture quality isn't giving let me know. Idk why the quality is so compressed when i uploaded this to SDN

PXL_20231020_173534065~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, I just got an email from admissions saying that they've been trying to email me a secondary but their emails have not gone through/dropping. Has anyone had this happen to them before and if so, how was it fixed?

If your application reviewed email was sent over a month ago, is it safe to assume a rejection?

If your application reviewed email was sent over a month ago, is it safe to assume a rejection?
In that case I'm DEFINITELY rejected. My "app reviewed" email came in mid-August, lol

I also haven't received any word about a II and I had the received email in late August. This school is in my top 3 so hopefully I hear something back soon.

Reactions: 5 users