2021-2022 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 early December interview, appeared to be a very successful interview but ended up receiving regular alternate list today.
Interesting to see how i
First II LM 67.5 ORM out of state.
Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what is your MCAT score? Traditional applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
regular alternate list just now, interviewed 12/15. pretty bummed as this was my only interview this cycle

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 10/26 was told that both interviewers would give me a high recommendation. Haven't heard anything.

Hi everyone. Quick question. Did anyone do the optional student interview. Just wondering how it was.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if rutger's sends out II through march? I've been experiencing radio silence :( and im IS *depressing sighs*

Reactions: 1 users
I heard back about a week ago for an II. Stats are unusual and probably not relevant to any one else's situation/chances.

I really don't understand this school. My stats are solid for the school, ECs are good, PS is good from what I've been told of several independent reviewers. No II or news from this school. Really takes a toll when these schools ghost you like this. Literally not a peep since I submitted in late July. I'm assuming it's an R at this point.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I will take one for the team and email admissions tm to ask when SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER interviewees can hear back. i’m on week 16 i think. i must’ve left them speechless 😂

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed in October and heard in December. My app must've left them in a rush to waitlist me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I will take one for the team and email admissions tm to ask when SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER interviewees can hear back. i’m on week 16 i think. i must’ve left them speechless 😂
Legend! I hope they are taking the time to gather all scholarships to attach to the offer!

still no response by the way. i sent the email this weekend when we may hear back.

Ii received today! Super excited about NJMS being that it's close to home.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How did people’s interviews go overall and what did they think.

How did people’s interviews go overall and what did they think.
I enjoyed my interview but felt that it went a bit off the rails into abstract concepts.
I tried to present myself authentically but I felt that my interviewer wasn't completely convinced.
They asked me to come back for a repeat interview.
I rate it 4 out of 5 stethoscopes. Would recommend interviewing at NJMS, lol.

• Wow
I enjoyed my interview but felt that it went a bit off the rails into abstract concepts.
I tried to present myself authentically but I felt that my interviewer wasn't completely convinced.
They asked me to come back for a repeat interview.
I rate it 4 out of 5 stethoscopes. Would recommend interviewing at NJMS, lol.
This is pretty rare. Did they tell you why?

Had an amazing interview, although based on all your statements, could go either way. I read some people had amazing interviews but still haven’t heard back. Is that true?

Had an amazing interview, although based on all your statements, could go either way. I read some people had amazing interviews but still haven’t heard back. Is that true?
That happened to me. Had my best interview and absolute silence since. On the other hand, I messed up a couple other interviews and received acceptances. 🤷‍♂️

That happened to me. Had my best interview and absolute silence since. On the other hand, I messed up a couple other interviews and received acceptances. 🤷‍♂️
Ooofff ok ok. I’m really hoping there’s a quite a bit of seats left. I’m also OOS so really everything stacked against me hahaha

• Care
anyone know if there is WL movement before April/May?
Unfortunately, not usually, and this applies to pretty much all schools. Most schools use historical yield data to over accept, so they are not forced to scramble late in the cycle just to fill the class. As a result, while some people do drop some As throughout the cycle, the first several drops at just about every school do not result in WL movement. Plus, many schools are still sending out initial As.

When a school places you on the WL and tells you not to expect anything before April, May, or even June, they mean it. The surge of people dropping As occurs around 4/15, when the protocols call for people to drop down to holding no more than 3 As, and 4/30, when most schools require people to drop to one A and make a PTE selection. The dropping of all those As in the last two weeks of April is what causes most schools to have the number of people selecting them as PTE after 4/30 to drop below their class size, which is what provokes calls off the WL.

It totally sucks for people with no As and several WLs, as one cycle bleeds right into the next, and sucks a little less for people with As but WLs at schools they prefer, since their plans remain unsettled as orientation draws closer, but, it is what it is. The timing is set up to allow the schools to fill their classes before orientation. Our convenience and anxiety is not a huge consideration for them, so the timeline is not pushed up for us.

Last edited:
Update here for you guys. I know some of you are in a similar situation.

I interviewed back in Oct. 19th and haven't heard anything since. I emailed admissions a couple days ago to try to find out why they were taking so long. They emailed me back.

Basically they said that due to the size of the applicant pool this year (Fauci effect I suppose), they have been overloaded. They added that I should hear back from admissions within the next 10 days.

Not sure if this is good news, but I will remain confident. Hopefully we all get answers soon!

• Hmm

I interviewed back in Oct. 19th and haven't heard anything since. I emailed admissions a couple days ago to try to find out why they were taking so long. They emailed me back.

Basically they said that due to the size of the applicant pool this year (Fauci effect I suppose), they have been overloaded. They added that I should hear back from admissions within the next 10 days.

Not sure if this is good news, but I will remain confident. Hopefully we all get answers soon!
Maybe they are the exception to the rule, but the Fauci effect has been widely dismissed, with many people actually burning out and leaving healthcare since the start of the pandemic. In addition, while we do not have access to 2021-22 NJMS application data, since they do not publicly publish it like many other schools do, everyone who has reported has reported a significant decrease in applications as compared to last cycle, as apparently the chaos in the beginning of the pandemic merely served to push applications forward from future cycles, rather than significantly increasing the pool of future doctors.

If they are overloaded, it's because they are understaffed. Regardless of the reason why, they took your application fee and interviewed you. They are a rolling admissions school. Getting back to you by 2/28 will be great at this point, if it actually happens, but there is still no excuse to keep anyone waiting over 3 months post-II, without so much as a communication telling you that you are on hold, which is undoubtedly where you have been, since people who interviewed after you have already received decisions. JMHO, and good luck!!!

Lord please help me. All these WLs and Rs are making me feel some type of way.

Maybe they are the exception to the rule, but the Fauci effect has been widely dismissed, with many people actually burning out and leaving healthcare since the start of the pandemic. In addition, while we do not have access to 2021-22 NJMS application data, since they do not publicly publish it like many other schools do, everyone who has reported has reported a significant decrease in applications as compared to last cycle, as apparently the chaos in the beginning of the pandemic merely served to push applications forward from future cycles, rather than significantly increasing the pool of future doctors.

If they are overloaded, it's because they are understaffed. Regardless of the reason why, they took your application fee and interviewed you. They are a rolling admissions school. Getting back to you by 2/28 will be great at this point, if it actually happens, but there is still no excuse to keep anyone waiting over 3 months post-II, without so much as a communication telling you that you are on hold, which is undoubtedly where you have been, since people who interviewed after you have already received decisions. JMHO, and good luck!!!
I agree with your second part, but the Fauci effect (or whatever else is involved in an increased number of applicants) seems to be real. I have heard from pretty much all schools I have applied to (including from students involved in the admissions process) saying that the number of applicants have skyrocketed. As you said, thought, that does not justify the wait some of us have been experiencing.
More applicants = more money = more staff?

I agree with your second part, but the Fauci effect (or whatever else is involved in an increased number of applicants) seems to be real. I have heard from pretty much all schools I have applied to (including from students involved in the admissions process) saying that the number of applicants have skyrocketed. As you said, thought, that does not justify the wait some of us have been experiencing.
More applicants = more money = more staff?
True about most schools simply failing to staff up. The better managed admissions offices found a way to make it work. The others are having issues.

As far as applications skyrocketing, as I said, that news is now one year old, and applied to last cycle, when, in hindsight, many people pushed applications forward a cycle or two due to the uncertainty caused by everything shutting down in the spring of 2020, rather than a Fauci effect causing a permanent spike in interest in medicine as a career. The number of applicants increased by 18% last cycle across all AMCAS schools (62,432 vs. 53,030 the year before).

Preliminary indications from everyone reporting (TMDSAS plus many individual schools) indicates that around half of last cycle's increase has been given back this cycle (e.g., TMDSAS reported a DECREASE of 8% this cycle (6763, down from 7361). It's also worth keeping in mind that the 2021-22 TMDSAS numbers might be goosed up a little because Baylor just joined it this cycle, certainly attracting some OOS candidates to TMDSAS that didn't use it in prior cycles. There is a very real chance that AMCAS numbers will be down even more than 8%.

There is practically no chance NJMS has bucked this trend, but we won't know for sure until they report in spring 2023! AAMC is apparently not as eager to publicize this as they were to push out a press release last year, but you can use the Google go back machine and compare last year's numbers to this year's at any school that posts a tracker.

Last edited:
True about most schools simply failing to staff up. The better managed admissions offices found a way to make it work. The others are having issues.

As far as applications skyrocketing, as I said, that news is now one year old, and applied to last cycle, when, in hindsight, many people pushed applications forward a cycle or two due to the uncertainty caused by everything shutting down in the spring of 2020, rather than a Fauci effect causing a permanent spike in interest in medicine as a career. The number of applicants increased by 18% last cycle across all AMCAS schools (62,432 vs. 53,030 the year before).

Preliminary indications from everyone reporting (TMDSAS plus many individual schools) indicates that around half of last cycle's increase has been given back this cycle (e.g., TMDSAS reported a DECREASE of 8% this cycle (6763, down from 7361). It's also worth keeping in mind that the 2021-22 TMDSAS numbers might be goosed up a little because Baylor just joined it this cycle, certainly attracting some OOS candidates to TMDSAS that didn't use it in prior cycles. There is a very real chance that AMCAS numbers will be down even more than 8%.

There is practically no chance NJMS has bucked this trend, but we won't know for sure until they report in spring 2023! AAMC is apparently not as eager to publicize this as they were to push out a press release last year, but you can use the Google go back machine and compare last year's numbers to this year's at any school that posts a tracker.
I agree. Being a pre-med takes years. I do believe people did experience healthcare shocks that may have pushed them into medicine, but majority already had pre-reqs and made sure they were getting the necessary requirements. There’s such a time barrier that looking at the fauci effect in such a small time scale wont give answers. Maybe a 5-10 year timescale I think is a better way to see if this is true. But it either affirmed your belief to practice medicine or it did not. And I think short term, along with economic insecurity, pushed people to apply earlier. Just my opinion though.

Also did you guys email your Interviewer and get a response back?

I got a response the next day after my thank you note, positive but prob also just polite more so than anything else. Then a few months after I got my A my interviewer emailed me again to congratulate me.

• Wow
I got a response the next day after my thank you note, positive but prob also just polite more so than anything else. Then a few months after I got my A my interviewer emailed me again to congratulate me.
Thank you. Just wondering when you interviewed and got the A.

Any response? One of my friends who interviewed in December heard back today. I interviewed in October like you and still haven’t.

I interviewed in late December and got the priority waitlist today. Good luck to all!

• Care
Do they email back when you email them an update letter saying that they recieved it?

Just got the priority alternate email. After only 5 months of waiting (interviewed 9/30). How nice of them to get back to me.

• Care
  • Wow