This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YaTuSabes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I was looking through the 2017 CIB and I started noticing that the schools that historically REQUIRE a DO letter have now switched to saying "recommend a letter from a PHYSICIAN". Some examples I found:

DMU-COM - it's not on the CIB but on their website it says PHYSICIAN exposure is required (previously, they said letter of recommendation from a DO was necessary)
VCOM-VA - in the CIB it says a letter from physician is required (but they PREFER that we have experience with a DO)
LECOM - in the CIB, it says LECOM will like to see previous exposure to a DO

Maybe i am reading too much into this, but they don't exactly state that they want a letter from a DO. Just that you shadowed one and know what you are talking about.

My situation: I shadowed a DO, she was VERY HELPFUL, she did traditional osteopathy on a regular basis and I learned a LOT about osteopathy. However, she is going away (internationally) and it is highly unlikely that she'd actually be able to write a letter and submit it on time (she mentioned she barely has any time because of dramatic changes in her schedule).

So I do have exposure to osteopathic medicine, but no letter to actually document this. I am working on getting a letter from an MD, though.

So what do you guys think? is my exposure to osteopathic medicine enough? Or do I really need to find another DO who would let me shadow and write a letter (I have been looking around but no other DO is currently open to letting students observe)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.